Nightcrawler: stalking and talking

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

I found this the other day and couldn't decide whether I liked it or not.

Divided We Stand

On one hand, that's a whole lot of Nightcrawler and he's being pretty cool.

On the other ... Why does God have to factor into everything he says?

It's really too bad because were it not for religion being completely overdone with his character, this would be a great vignette. It demonstrates that Kurt is not just clever but an intellectual, capable of working on his own, and has a true strong moral compass.

These are all good character building moments and it's too bad that his "character cliche" waters it down. My first look was to skim it and say "oh, Nightcrawler's spending pages and pages eating eggs and talking about God. I can't deal." and nearly closed it. The comments were so positive though that I decided to read through again. I'm glad I did, the dialog is actually pretty tight and the art is decent.

-e
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I liked it a lot better the more I read it, because I got the impression that Nightcrawler in the priest disguise was quite aware that he behaved like an overly religious, "loud mouthed, artsy fartsy" stereotype for two purposes: to test whatever passes for patience with the likes of Scalphunter, and to see if he'd changed any while on the run. Once I understood that he was being intentionally annoying and why, I appreciated the story a whole lot more. It's by far my favorite in Divided We Stand, and not just because it's the only one with my favorite merry mutant.

[Edited on 12/8/2008 by Angelique]
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

You have to admit he got pretty ruthless at the end there. I like when Kurt gets scary!! :evil
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Exactly right.

My first glance was "Oh no...".

But on my second glance, I got it. In fact, I think we as readers were experiencing the same test of tolerance that Nightcrawler was giving Scalphunter.

And then he started behaving like an Xman.

Which is pretty clever writing.

-e
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

I love this story. It's not flawless and it's more about Scalphunter than Kurt, but our boy is clearly showing here that he does indeed have Mystique's blood in his veins. Kurt could make a fabulous spy.