Ever run into a Nightcrawler 'hater'? :)

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

So, my friend hangs out on the gamefaq comic book forums, and I sometimes poke my head in there. (The two of us seemed to start a mini Crawler-appreciation revolution when I posted scans of Kurt punching Mephisto... a scene which frequently comes up whenever people are discussion bad-ass moments in comics...) and a recent topic piqued my interest. The questions was simply which comic hero was really charismatic, both in comics and among fans.

I know we're all fans of all things fuzzy and blue here, but I was curious if you've ever run into someone who couldn't stand Nightcrawler. I mean, I've met plenty of people that loathe Cyclops, can't stand Gambit, and even Wolverine makes some people roll their eyes. But thus far, I've never met anyone that really disliked Nightcrawler. Even if he's not their *favorite* you generally get at least a "Yeah, he's a cool guy" from people.

How about you? Ever meet an antifan? :)

Edit: I should ammend this to say that I'm speaking of 616 'crawler. UXM Crawler and other versions need not apply. XD

[Edited on 9-10-2008 by the_lone_bamf]
Image Image
"Every living creature is unique-- it is a part of our charm."
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

You know, I never have. Even after spending a year working while dressed as Nightcrawler, which you would think would bring out the opinions both positive and negative, no one ever said "Hey Nightcrawler! You SUCK!"

The most I ever got was ... "Nightcrawler? Meh. I'm into Wolverine!"

And I agree that Nightcrawler punching Mephisto was pretty damn badass!

-e
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

One or two, but no one anti enough to rave about it. He's hard to hate. However, I would assume it might change if he got a bigger role.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

There is a fellow on the Marvel forums, you might remember him love_of_bob, who hates Kurt because of the way Austin wrote him in the Holy War arc. I think that is being unreasonable.
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Timelord
Nightscrawlearth Character: :x23 :rachel

Post by tears~fall~like~glass »

In sixth grade, my best friend and I had long arguments about Nightcrawler. He thinks Nighty is awesome now. :shifty
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Originally posted by neling4
There is a fellow on the Marvel forums, you might remember him love_of_bob, who hates Kurt because of the way Austin wrote him in the Holy War arc. I think that is being unreasonable.
Yeah, I was gonna say, a lot of people got tired of over-religious Kurt, but when he's balanced like (showing my age here)Kwai-Chang Caine in the old TV series "Kung Fu," I guess people find it hard to dislike him as long as he's witty and kind-hearted and kick-ass.

Unless you count a bit of possible jealousy on the part of my hubby (I have no proof,mind you), who refers to him as "That Blue Guy" and asked me to change the desktop back to either Spider-man or the parrot after a few months of various fuzzy blueness. But he did read my fanfic, "Only Human" and kind of liked it.

If I could only get him to read # 2 or 3 of the 1985/6 ltd series, or the Willinghamone ... *sigh*. He'd be a fan too.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I mostly hate the way he's been written for about the last ten years.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

Yeah, but I don't think that's necessarily the fault of the character, although that's treading murky territory. Is a character merely the sum of their writing?

My friend has similar issues with Wolverine in recent years.
Image Image
"Every living creature is unique-- it is a part of our charm."
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by the_lone_bamf
Yeah, but I don't think that's necessarily the fault of the character, although that's treading murky territory. Is a character merely the sum of their writing?

My friend has similar issues with Wolverine in recent years.
I don't know. I know I don't hate him, but I am definitely closer to scorn or disdain than like, if I think about what's actually going on and not my rosy memories. (Except for Ultimate, I like him a lot.)
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir