Wolverine & the X-men episode 6: "X-Calibre" (thread will contain spoilers)

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

Just might be the best thing with Nightcrawler in it ever. Any Canadians here who have watched it? Anyone else who caught it elsewhere? This can not be ignored on a Nightcrawler board!

[Edited on 12/10/08 by love_of_bob]
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Wolverine and the X-Men can't already be on TV? Can it? Have I missed everything?!?
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

It's on, just not in the US until 2009. :cry
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

Yeah.... you have to be a sneaky video torrenting pirate...

Not that I'd know anything about that...

;)

I'll let you guys know after I watch it- some time in the next few days, likely.
Image Image
"Every living creature is unique-- it is a part of our charm."
tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Timelord
Nightscrawlearth Character: :x23 :rachel

Post by tears~fall~like~glass »

Heh, sneaky video torrenting pirate... :shifty

I watched it earlier, actually. I think the show's starting to grow on me, so I enjoyed it a lot more than previous episodes. I think it was a pretty awesome way for Nightcrawler to be introduced. He got to be all awesome and stick up for the other mutants, all while showing off his swashbuckling skills against Spiral. The way he used his powers was really cool. It was just an awesome episode, I think. He's definitely joined Beast in my favorites.
the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

Yeah- I actually found it on youtube if anyone is interested... However these episodes are QUICK to come down, so get while the getting is good.
Parts 1, 2, 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3boopXamGY&feature=user
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdPaxfDDpM&feature=user
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-oR7TiH4OQ&feature=user

Honestly, it was a fantastic showcase. He showed off the mad skills, not just combatwise- but also as a leader. There was the obligatory origin scene with Professor X (Which... seemed a little extraneous? But whatever, I'm not going to argue against young Kurt in Liederhosen ^_^) which got me thinking... They used that scene to show Kurt being particularly sensitive to people being called "freaks" or "monsters". It seems to obvious but... does that ever happen in the comics. I mean... sensitivity to physically abnormal mutants. He seems like he's just genuinely concerned for EVERYONE's sake in the comics.

Honestly though- my favorite bit was all of the piratey music, and the fantastic "hero shot" of him in the 'Captain Morgan' pose on the boat with his cutlass and COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY but totally awesome double-wide pirate belt. (+ 3 to adventure!)

People on the gamefaqs thread (and youtube commentors) seem to have loved this episode, really the only negative things I've heard are people getting tired of the onslaught of introduction episodes.

I agree that the show is getting better as it goes on. Episode one had me rolling my eyes a little bit, but by the third or so episode- I was sold. :)
Image Image
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

Thanks lone bamf, I enjoyed watching that. A bit depressing that Sammy survived though. NC was kickass in that.

And the girl with the computer powers, did she have a name? She makes me think of Broken Haiku, which I know nothing of except what I know of Scummy's character in the RP game. Or then again it might be :sage. Or I might be completely off with my guesses.
tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Timelord
Nightscrawlearth Character: :x23 :rachel

Post by tears~fall~like~glass »

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was disappointed about Sammy surviving.

And, I don't think she had a name... I'm tempted to go search to see if she had one now...
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

I am glad I decided to get up last night and watch it before it was taken down. I found it via creative googling, book marked it, and watched it twice. Now it is gone.

I agree. It was really good. I wish, however, that the fellow doing Kurt's voice would drop the Hollywood version of a German accent. I have never met a German who sounded like that. I really liked the voice of the Spanish language version. That was exactly how I imagine Kurt to sound, only in English, of course.

[Edited on 13/10/08 by neling4]

[Edited on 13/10/08 by neling4]
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

I imagine him sounding like Freak.
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Post by Freak »

:shifty

I absolutely loved this episode, there was finally some action going on with Kurt#s teleporting! He didn't just use it to get from A to B, he wove it into his fighting. THAT is how he should do things.

Also, true, there are a lot of introduction episodes, but those are for people not too informed about the characters, after all this also was done to introduce more people to the comics.

About the machine girl: there were a few mutants that seemed non-canon: Machine girl, goop boy, Sammy's mother never had powers,...

On the other side we saw Pixie (kinda cute), maybe Rockslide, and a glance of Dazzler.

All in all a good episode, thumbs up. Too bad it will take some time until Kurt arrives in Genoshe and we see him again :( (then there's Wandaness though, so i'm hoping for Kurt and Wanda shipping).

On a side note: Next episode is about Weapon X and with Sabretooth *jumps out of the way to avoid the scumfish stampede*
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

ha ha, as soon as I got here, they were gone again.... curse you copyright laws!!!!
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

If I were more websavvy about making files a bit smaller, I'd see what I could do about temporarily hosting them on my webspace. I'll look into in this week. Not all the episodes, mind you- but the important ones. :)
Image Image
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

it would be super awesome if you could....
the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=CC7IUGPB

video is still up for watching here

I showed it to Chris today. He was enjoying Wolverine's training session at the beginning, and I told him it was obligatory because in a few seconds- Nightcrawler would be stealing the show. (Wolverine, who?)

We both had a grand chuckle at the whole "I will teleport a WHOLE BUNCH OF WATER with me." Also- do you think 616 Kurt could 'port a table with plates, silverware and soup without spilling a drop? It's like the whole pulling-the-tablecloth trick only... MORE AWESOME. :)
Image Image
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!

His physical appearance is different, but not entirely bad. I love how his teleporting is drawn. I love how they threw in backstory and his swashbuckler side. A+
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Oh, Cat -- you totally ROCK!!!

I hope I can get my kid to put these on her Netflix queue next year for me ... *sigh*.

And my Squidboy, love him!

That chick had Big Sword Envy, huh? The part where he catches the dagger ... that was great.But ... can't believe Kurt didn't make some snarky remark about "disarming" Spiral.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

I actually really like their take on Kurt for this version of the series. I don't mind the slightly long bangs (make way more sense than Evo's hair- and anything is better than the crew-cut from late Excalibur!) and I think overall his appearance meshes with his fighting style very well. Looking at him, you definitely get the impression that he is strong, definitely an apt fighter- but in an acrobatic way.

And I totally agree with everyone who is glad to have seen him be a little more aggressive with his teleportation. I think we can probably thank X-2 for that, I think the White House scene probably opened a lot of designers'/writers' eyes as to what the possibilities were.
Image Image
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by the_lone_bamf
If I were more websavvy about making files a bit smaller, I'd see what I could do about temporarily hosting them on my webspace. I'll look into in this week. Not all the episodes, mind you- but the important ones. :)
If you aren't watching them all, you're missing out. It does justice to the other characters. They are all unique and beautiful snowflakes. (I just watched them all, and I started drinking Bailey's around #3 so I got a warm creamy buzz going now hooo-aaah.) I love that they aren't all written as "heros" first. Warren is a businessman. Gambit is a thief. Emma is a mystery. Beast is a peaceful genius. Forge is the biggest nerd ever. Scott is a misanthropic douchebag. Those are their prime directives, and it's awesome. Too often I feel like their personalities are after-thoughts. So far the only "hero" is Kurt. Wah! Why couldn't they make him multi-dimensional and interesting toooooooo. (I supposed he'll be "multi-dimensional" soon enough lol.)

He wasn't bad, but could have been better. I don't know! I spent five episodes being delighted with the cleverness of it all. Gasp as Warren saves Rogue after she mind-sucked his very own dad! Snicker as Magneto mops the floor with them then graciously gives them what they came for. Shriek as Gambit schools Wolverine on how to get his money's worth on a heist. Then... uh... admire all the pretty colours and fight choreography in the Nightcrawler episode. But all the episodes had that sort of thing, didn't they? Where's the complexity, the personality sparkle? Maybe I'm just drunk. At least the accent is better than the evolution one.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
At least the accent is better than the evolution one.
Wait a minute! That's not an... Irish accent, is it?

And one more thing... the girl that said her powers were worthless... she can "talk" to machines! It never occurred to her that she could "talk" to an "ATM" and get a big pile of "money"??
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Post by Freak »

I think she meant worthless in a fighting kind of worth :shifty

Though I absolutely see no problem with her using Sentinels like Barbie dolls...from hell! :evil
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I'd like to see Sentinals do ballet, lol.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

pfft, just watch a few episodes of Megas XLR. enough giant robots running around in that dancing about. Chicks dig giant robots, you know.
the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
Originally posted by the_lone_bamf
If you aren't watching them all, you're missing out. It does justice to the other characters. They are all unique and beautiful snowflakes.
Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to imply that people shouldn't watch the entire series- I just meant that my webspace and bandwidth are limited, so even if I find a way to make the files a little more portable I'd still only be able to host a few episodes. It really should have read "important" ones.
Image Image