QUITTING TIME???? Kurt leaves the X-Men!

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

This can't be good:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=19164

[quote]
X-MEN: QUITTING TIME Written by JAMES ASMUS Penciled by TBD Cover by BRANDON PETERSON Since the move to San Francisco and after the events of X-Infernus, Nightcrawler realizes a hard truth—he has to quit the X-Men. Kurt has realized that the X-Men just don’t need him anymore. He hasn’t been operating at his highest levels and even the biggest strength he has—teleportation—has been made redundant by Pixie who can do it better and more efficiently. Don’t miss the departure of one of the most important characters in X-Men history. 32 PGS./One-Shot/Rated T+ …$3.99[/quote]

[Edited on 15/12/08 by neling4]
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

And with that, I'm pretty sure it will be time Marvel realizes a hard truth of its own. If Nightcrawler quits the X-Men and does not go on to bigger and better things, there will be a lot of loyal readers quitting the book.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

Crawler is the only reason i read x-men. he goes, i go.
Dave, your creations brought joy to my life and inspired my imagination. R.I.P.

Insanity is all in the mind...
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

Pfft, I doubt if they'll get rid of NC that fast.

But I oh so hope it'll go like this: X-men + Pixie goes on a mission. Pixie loses powers. X-men in trouble. Kurt comes to save the day. Everyone has a good laugh and dances to the Banana Boat Song.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I don't wish ill on Pixie, but to save Nighty, oh yeah. We need a real hero. But I just hope that if Nighty "leaves the X-Men", he starts being a Marvel Knight. That would be kickass, lol.

Oh, and by the way, I'm back from boot camp :)
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

*cough*
TryingtodriveupUltimatesalesbysabotagingthecanon-verse*cough*

:sick

Jeez i got some kinda cold huh?

Srsly tho, I've said it before and I'll say it again.
They're crushing 616
and relying on Ultimate to be the new canon.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

of course if you've seen Ultimatum issue 1 then it would appear (note the word appear) that Kurt won't be in any books.

i think this may be to set him up for something else, but who knows.

love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

I knew it had to happen. Well, we'll see how this turns out. Part of me is actually relieved.
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

perhaps it would be best if they gave him a break. nobody seems to be able to write him well at the moment anyways. :hang

the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

((Sorry, I mistyped. I read something with a very similar plotline to this- but it wasn't in fact this issue. ))

I almost can't believe this is real, but it bears striking resemblance to the mini-story that came out recently. (Where Kurt is messing in the danger room trying to take on Apocalypse and Sabertooth single handedly... He mentions leaving the X-men but tha felt so weak and... unreal.

[Edited on 15-12-2008 by the_lone_bamf]
Image Image
"Every living creature is unique-- it is a part of our charm."
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Hey! Good Find Nelling!

I'm strangely neutral on the whole thing. Mainly because like many of you, I haven't seen Nightcrawler doing anything interesting in the comics in a while. (Oh, yeah every so often he does some great stuff - I'm not denying that...)

It seems like a lot of characters have gotten really cool awesome books where they drive the whole plot and we learn a lot about them. (I'm thinking of how Endangered Species spotlighted Beast or how the Origins series is the coolest thing Marvel has done with Wolverine... There are others too that I can't think of right now.) Nightcrawler is due for his cool plot/character reveal/direction, but given the age of the character and that fact that canon 616 Nightcrawler has remained virtually unchanged in any significant way since the 1970s, maybe Marvel is just stuck?

This isn't to say that people haven't tried of course, but he seems to suffer from some sort of character growth inertia where when one new author pushes his character in a new and different direction, a later author will push it back. I will call it ... for lack of a better term: "The Jenga Factor". Yeah the tower is getting taller, but they're the same blocks from before. The Jenga factor has kept Nightcrawler in the books but his character growth has been mostly artificial. Hell, he's still wearing his original costume.

I had lent a friend my Nightcrawler solo series TPBs and she finally returned them after about a year the other day. I was re-reading them and realized what an awesome thing Darick, as a Nightcrawler fan got to do. Those books are the first to re-think his history since like what? *1985? (Wait! I have pages from his origin story hanging on my wall! Darn - they aren't dated but let's just say that they are old enough to be hand lettered, there is white out where the CCA removed the blood from Stephen's body, and the old letraset greyscale patterns they used for shading are yellow despite the archival glass.) He gets to fight Wolverine no holds barred style in a circus funhouse! He punches Mephisto! And discovers he has the soul sword hidden in his ...soul? And that's like just in the last few books. I know it's a Nightcrawler book, but there's enough Nightcrawler coolness to drive several team plots.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm looking at Nightcrawler a little like I look at the economy right now. If it has to get worse in order for it to get better then... I'm cool with it.

-e

{*Made up a more realistic hypothetical date because I <3 accuracy. Even though 1965 sounds funnier to me. :) --SK}

[Edited on 16/12/2008 by Saint Kurt]
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Originally posted by Entropy
Nobody seems to be able to write him well at the moment anyways.
No offense to any paid writers, but thank God for fanfic.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

:pixie:engarde

On the bright side, that is $2.99 I won't be spending.

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I have to agree with Neling on that one.

Not that I was buying the damn book anyways (because honestly I felt excluded from my titles a while ago) but this is even more reason not to fall into the trap.

And SK is right, it's about time they did something stunning with Kurt. Hopefully this won't be like when Kitty left.

By the way, when Kitty came back I couldn't help but sing "Kitty's Back In Town" by Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street band.

Or was that the SECOND time she came back?
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Psst. Kurt's first appearance as an X-Man was in Giant Size X-Men No. 1 in 1975.

Honestly, this is quite possibly simply a provocatively written solicitation to get people worked up. Even if it isn't... it may do him some good to get booted from the books for a while. Last time he was really removed from the main team he wound up leading Excalibur and that series had more development for him than much of his run on Uncanny.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

I posted a question for Joe Quesada on his blog at myspace:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =456559604

Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Between this and DC cancelling the only book of theirs I read it looks like I'm down to...um...jeez...what WILL I be reading?

If he doesn't show up somewhere else and on a regular basis I'm through with Marvel...and I mean TOTALLY through with Marvel...no books...no toys...no movies...no object d' art...no nothin'!

[Edited on 19-12-2008 by Nandireya]
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Originally posted by Nandireya
Between this and DC cancelling the only book of theirs I read it looks like I'm down to...um...jeez...what WILL I be reading?

If he doesn't show up somewhere else and on a regular basis I'm through with Marvel...and I mean TOTALLY through with Marvel...no books...no toys...no movies...no object d' art...no nothin'!

[Edited on 19-12-2008 by Nandireya]
I plan on making a similar statement with my wallet, except that I'll make a point of buying only Essentials and back issues I don't already own featuring my favorite merry mutant.

When they see sales of the flagship X-title plummet in favor of older issues, they'll know why.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

An answer to my question...sort of...

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... =457581996

JQ: Your eyes aren't deceiving you, Neiling. In this issue, Kurt quits the X-Men. If you've been reading X-Men: Manifest Destiny and X-Infernus you know we've been building up to this. If this is any consolation, Bamfers, it's a great story that Nightcrawler fans will LOVE! And if you hate it, please direct your cards and letters to Editor Nick Lowe.
It doesn't look good.

[Edited on 19/12/08 by neling4]

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

It will only be a great story if it's a step toward better things for Kurt.

Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by Angelique
I plan on making a similar statement with my wallet, except that I'll make a point of buying only Essentials and back issues I don't already own featuring my favorite merry mutant.

When they see sales of the flagship X-title plummet in favor of older issues, they'll know why.
I hardly think sales will plummet...Cashcow...I mean Wolverine...is still there...it'll probably only be a small percentage that'll abandon the SS Marvel...and they won't give a crap.

But where exactly is Kurt going to go? It's not like he can get a job at K-Mart or something. 'Super-hero' is about all he's got on his resume.

Looks like I'm down to trades...so I'll be visiting the comic shop maybe twice a year.

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I would write to Nick Lowe, and to Joe Quesada too. He has no business passing blame if someone doesn't like a book to another editor. The buck stops with him. He is, after all, editor in chief.

Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by neling4
JQ: Your eyes aren't deceiving you, Neiling. In this issue, Kurt quits the X-Men. If you've been reading X-Men: Manifest Destiny and X-Infernus you know we've been building up to this. If this is any consolation, Bamfers, it's a great story that Nightcrawler fans will LOVE! And if you hate it, please direct your cards and letters to Editor Nick Lowe.
Didn't really answer the question there, did he? We already know he's leaving the X-Men...but where is he going? Somewhere new? Or is he going to be shelved for the next decade?

Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Sorry, I didn't post here for a veeeeery long time... :Z

Thing is, after the cancellation of Nightcrawler's solo-series, everything got pretty uninteresting for the blue elf.

I only read Marvel titles with Nightcrawler in it these days. And most of the time, I find them boring because Kurt does nothing.
So, he's dead in the Ultimate universe...
So, he's leaving the classic version of the X-Men to go to comic book limboes...
Well, I guess I won't read any Marvel book, then. My money is better spent on Hellboy, Buffy, Savage Dragon and Vertigo books. Or mangas -even though Kurt Wagner still is (and I think always will be) the best male fictional character for me.

If only Marvel coul publish just ONE good Nightcrawler story, one per year.
Kurt was going in the right direction under Darick's reign... There were a lot of exciting possibilities there.
The fight against Mephisto. The soulsword. His love interests.

Now... I'm just depressed.

It seems Joe Q. really hates (or at least doesn't care about) our favorite character...

Max.

[Edited on 2-1-2009 by Diablo]
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

MAX!! Ça fait longtemps qu'on ne s'est pas vue!

Comment ça va?

I totally agree about the stuff with the Soul Sword in the solo books being the coolest to happen to Nightcrawler in a few decades so it's a total bummer to see it being used as just another plot point to enhance the focus on other characters.

I belong to a site called "Pencil Jack" which is a forum where comics pros support new artists and they have "Forum Comics Jams" were they write, pencil, ink, and color their own books. Often they are X-over type things like Wolverine vs. Alien or "Spiderman meets Spider Jerusalem". (Okay they didn't have Spidey meet Spider, but wouldn't it be AWESOME if they did? They're both journalists. A Spider/Spider investigative team up would be the bomb would it not?)

Sometimes I think the only answer to the "Nightcrawler problem" is just ignore Marvel and do the Pencil Jack thing - take ownership of the character and write our own cool stories and comics about him.

-e