QUITTING TIME???? Kurt leaves the X-Men!

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

Actually- I went back and reread it (the first time was a rather rushed read over whiel waiting for the bus)--- and.... yeah.... Mr. Mistopheles does in fact confirm the stupidest of stupids.
Admittedly, he's trying to be discouraging towards Nightcrawler- so who knows, maybe there's still room for some competent writer to say "Just kidding! It was all a trick. Oh ho ho ho!"
Image Image
"Every living creature is unique-- it is a part of our charm."
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

the_lone_bamf wrote:Actually- I went back and reread it (the first time was a rather rushed read over whiel waiting for the bus)--- and.... yeah.... Mr. Mistopheles does in fact confirm the stupidest of stupids.
Admittedly, he's trying to be discouraging towards Nightcrawler- so who knows, maybe there's still room for some competent writer to say "Just kidding! It was all a trick. Oh ho ho ho!"
Well, that's good. At least my rant wasn't wasted. I would hate to think that my fussing was unwarranted. That would be embarrassing.
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

I mean... honestly... Hellboy is super great, I love the guy...
...but do we need *two*?

[Edited on 11-3-2009 by the_lone_bamf]
Image Image
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

No. We don't.

I just posted a full spoiler summary over at Marvel. My fingers are too tired to do that again, so:

http://www.marvel.com/boards/viewtopic. ... start=4550

Just highlight over the post to reveal the secret message.

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Thanks for spoilers, O Faithful One and True Believer. That character sounds like someone I'd write (actually, someone I *did* write, but for Doc McCoy's sidekick). And good to see Kurt doing swashbuckling stuff and Catholic stuff.

*sigh*

Hubby was surprised I didn't run out and buy it. As if I buy anything after the 1970's (not counting the Excalibur book of the first few issues).

How's the artwork at the end ... reviews seemed to find it less than astonishing, or amazing, or whatnot.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

You are welcome!

I really liked Molina's art, which, perhaps, prejudiced me in favor of it. I felt that he captured the personality of Kurt. The change in art was a bit jarring, so I couldn't honestly say Syaf's was not as good, just different. Also, he probably had even less time than Molina to work on it, as did the inkers and colorists, so, to be fair, it would be hard to judge. The other work by Syaf, which I have seen on his website, is quite good.

the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

I dunno if this counts as a spoiler- but on the first page of the art transition Mephisto comments "I'd say you're looking well, but you know how I hate to lie".

I kinda felt the same way.

It's not *bad*- it's just... a COMPLETELY different feel from the first two thirds of the comic, so it's... awkward. The later pages are much... blockier whereas the first pages have a much finer line quality to them. I dunno... it was a little jarring for me.
Image Image
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Interestingly enough, she does look a bit like I imagined the heroine in Battle by the Numbers would look.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Thanks for the spoilers...sounds like it doesn't totally suck...and I'm guessing 'Phisto said what he said to get poor Kurt all downhearted and therefore lessen him as a threat than there actually being truth to it...meaning Kurt could possibly be a force to be reckoned with.

Still gonna wait until Previews week though...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

What I am right now most disturbed by is that it's apparently implied that he slept with his #1 fangirl. That's just horribly sleazy, if so. The beginning of the comic depicts him as whiny and immature and then he goes on to being someone who would use a fangirl for sex?? Thank you, Marvel. I'm really thinking twice about getting this.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

love_of_bob wrote:What I am right now most disturbed by is that it's apparently implied that he slept with his #1 fangirl. That's just horribly sleazy, if so. The beginning of the comic depicts him as whiny and immature and then he goes on to being someone who would use a fangirl for sex?? Thank you, Marvel. I'm really thinking twice about getting this.
Dude! Where did you get THAT from?

So...does anyone else think that maybe the change in artist was due to a change in the ending brought about by our rantings?
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

love_of_bob wrote:What I am right now most disturbed by is that it's apparently implied that he slept with his #1 fangirl.
YESS!!!!!! I never heard of him before last week, but the second I saw that picture of the writer with a corpse's hand reaching for his dick I KNEW HE WAS GONNA MAKE ME HAPPY!!!!

Aw man I can't wait to read this!
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Nandireya wrote: So...does anyone else think that maybe the change in artist was due to a change in the ending brought about by our rantings?
Absolutely not.

This is Marvel. You know.... Marvel? YOU NEVER SAW NOTHIN LIKE THIS BEFORE! THIS ISSUE WILL CHANGE YO LIFE!! READ THIS COMIC BOOK OR YOU WILL DIIIIIE.

But then nothing happens every time. They've been doing it since before any of us were born (except neling and elfdame maybe), and they still tricked you!

[Edited on 12-3-2009 by The Drastic Spastic]
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

love_of_bob wrote:What I am right now most disturbed by is that it's apparently implied that he slept with his #1 fangirl. That's just horribly sleazy, if so.
As far as I remember, he is almost always written as a guy who sleeps around. Not just with his sister, but with every attractive female alien or whatnot he finds. (kinda like the Captain in "Galaxy Quest," hahaha) That's one reason I write fanfic; to make him more actually Catholic as well as kinda noble, and less like everybody else in the world who totally lacks a concept of boom-boom as a sacred act.

Haven't read it, so can't say, but it would not be out of character (Marvel-wise) if he pounced'n'bounced with a sweet little thing.

[Edited on 12/3/09 by Elfdame]

"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

I refuse to believe he slept with Mara/Thelma.

This is what happened:

After he kissed her, he helped her clean up the museum, like the gentleman that he is. Then he took her out to dinner and a movie.....if Winzeldork has a theatre. At a decent hour, he took her home and left her at her door with a good-bye kiss.

That's what my Elf would do.

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

But you left out the part where he would have given her a private exhibition of his gymnastic abilities (fully clothed, showing off, not anything suggestive). Never turn down a chance to wow and woo your audience.

This would be a great Scrawlers Challenge ... something like describing what we would have in his museum, and what he would do if trouble broke out there ... could be comic (no! don't let the bad guys destroy my trapeze replica!) or semi-tragic (Sentinal head wakes up).

If anyone writes it, let me know. I even thought about starting a thread, "What I Think Should Be In The Nighty Museum."

BTW, when hubby read the previews online (he's heard me yak about everyone's anticipations and reactions for so long that curiosity got the better of him), the first thing he said was, "I thought he was supposed to be fuzzy," and the second thing (before he saw Cyke's reaction) was, "That's gotta be a trap, better take the X-men with you," and I almost ran out of breath laughing because really he is WAAAAY more Kurt than Scott in real life. And he read the line, "Hello Winzeldorf," sooo cute ... reminded me of Robin Williams saying, "Good Morning, VietNam!"

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

We should open our own virtual museum thread, right here on Nightscrawlers. We could start with a thread about his origin (the real one, not the "arc-which-shall-not-be-named), and his early life, and how he came to join the X-Men. We could have a thread with pictures of his various uniforms, in chronological order, etc. etc.

Unless, of course, you think it is redundant.

By the way, I am going to add something to my Nightcrawler shrine. When I have a photo downloaded, I will post it here.

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Kinda like Nandireya's site? or the costume gallery at comicvine?

I had to lol when you mentioned a NC shrine ... until I realized I basically have a Spidey shrine (not counting the display case at the library).

fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I found the issue to be very...apple sauce and vanilla pudding. It was bland. It wasn't bad, but it sure didn't blow my socks off or get really indepth or surprise me or do an interesting twist or...yeah, anything.

It certainly was non-offensive to the fans, imho, the whole debate of 'did he sleep with the fangirl or not' aside. Honestly, it was almost like the catered this issue to your average fan girl. I wouldn't be surprised to see a fan girl having wrote this story. That's just how it felt to me. Sorta...sueish.

I'll leave it a week or two till I post specific spoilers. :).
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Elfdame wrote:Kinda like Nandireya's site?
Oh yeah. :doh!
Elfdame wrote:I lol'd when you mentioned NC shrine ... until I realized I basically have a Spidey shrine (not counting the display case at the library).
We fangirls are not crazy.

love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

Nandireya wrote:Dude! Where did you get THAT from?
Him kissing her passionately while talking about a "fire that needs putting out"?
So...does anyone else think that maybe the change in artist was due to a change in the ending brought about by our rantings?
I'm more inclined to believe it was simply deadline issues. Fraction's always talked as though he was never leaving.
Elfdame wrote:
love_of_bob wrote:What I am right now most disturbed by is that it's apparently implied that he slept with his #1 fangirl. That's just horribly sleazy, if so.
As far as I remember, he is almost always written as a guy who sleeps around. Not just with his sister, but with every attractive female alien or whatnot he finds. (kinda like the Captain in "Galaxy Quest," hahaha) That's one reason I write fanfic; to make him more actually Catholic as well as kinda noble, and less like everybody else in the world who totally lacks a concept of boom-boom as a sacred act.

Haven't read it, so can't say, but it would not be out of character (Marvel-wise) if he pounced'n'bounced with a sweet little thing.

It's not the sex part in itself that's disturbing, but that he's using the emotions of someone who's obviously head-over-heels with him (to the point where she loves the smell of brimstone). I would have preferred Kurt to be more emotionally perceptive and moral than your average member of a rockband.

And no, he hasn't always been shown as someone who sleeps around - someone who flirts, sure, but most of the time he's either been with a girlfriend or celibate. Except under Austen, but everything Austen touched turned dirty.

Meh. I'll wait until I actually get the issue. I guess it's fully possible that after all that time, the "fire" was put out right then and there with that single kiss (if you know what I mean, hint hint elbow hint). Ew.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

And no, he hasn't always been shown as someone who sleeps around - someone who flirts, sure, but most of the time he's either been with a girlfriend or celibate.
Well, to me, shagging a girlfriend is sleeping around. I know in, like, Excalibur 17-ish, he pops right on in bed with that nasty chick. And the first time he sees Meggan's bed he's all like disapointed that she ain't counting on romping with him (implied). And in the Vignettes book, it leaves one thinking he means more than taking the gal he rescues to an ice cream social or something. But I'm an obsolete granny. Which I guess makes me too old to be a fangirl. (And don't pull age on me, neling, I know I'm your junior, but you still look like a sweet young thing and you stay current on stuff. I actually think like a granny.)
We fangirls are not crazy.
Speak for yourself; I was crazy long before I was a fangirl, ha ha.

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

love_of_bob wrote:
Him kissing her passionately while talking about a "fire that needs putting out"?
I thought he meant the fire in the forest.

Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Neling4 said:
Perhaps I shouldn't have burned Joe Q's ears with my scathing comments.
Hey...I'm glad you did. We might be reading something completely different if you hadn't! I said some things too and I'm not sorry. He deserved it. He was probably sitting up in his ivory tower laughing at us all while we worried and agonized and never once gave us a subtle "it's gonna be okay" hint....(and even Claremont didn't throw us a bone.) So while we're downing "Fuzzy Elves" and popping xanax, he THEN throws out that little "if he lives...." comment.
No, if Angelique is right, and they DID change the story.....it was because of those little burning ears. You get thumbs up from me.:tail

[Edited on 01/19/09 by Jeremus]

[Edited on 01/19/09 by Jeremus]
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

neling4 wrote:
love_of_bob wrote:
I thought he meant the fire in the forest.
Me too. At worst, that remark, besides being quite literally true, was a harmless double entendre.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven