PATY!!!! rumour has it... (NXM SPOILERS)

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Post by Paty »

:mags:
Mucho garcia...LOL... and to you, blessings. Yeah...twenty five years of packratting and he won't get rid of ANY of it!! OK... a couple of bags of magazines...BIG DEAL!!! sigh... and we move in three weeks! OY!
And I gjust ran out of boxessmall enough for the books...and it's freakin SNOWING like a goddam blizzard! sigh...I hope we are dug out by Wennesday...so I can get more boxes from Pete! I still have half a library to pack and a huge bookcase in the living room!
AAAUUUGGGHHH!!! not to mention the ART SUPPLIES!!!
AAAUUUGGGHHHHHH!!!
lol
pATY
...i THINK i WOULD HAVE LOVED TO SIT IN ON THAT DISCUSSION! lol...
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

Originally posted by Paty
Nor does being Jewish have anything to do with anything. It doesn't make you a villain! It doesn't make you a hero! Only your actions towards your fellow occupants of the planet can do that. Some people think Saddam and Osama are heros...others do not...depends on whose side youare on, doesnn't it? That's why Magneto's viewpoint in juxtaposition to Xavier's is so interesting! They are gboth approaching a problem from different viewpoints...who is right? who is wrong? Both? Neither? this is what good, interesting stories are made of!
but I digress again...
Damn Straight!
sorry I have been absent from the boards for so long..I am packing like a fiend and hope to the sweet bright lady that I get it all done before we have to be outta here! My stuff takes no time at all...Dave's stuff takes forever!!!
Yeah.... Sure....

as for the books... at least you're being smart about it. When I moved, I didn't have a lot of small boxes, so I just put all of my books into a small footlocker. *rubs back at the memory*

Rivka:
Lol... Pollyanna... no, I do the same thing too, always assume someone is nice before you get offended and defensive... That's why I contacted idiot-boy offlist, because I wanted to calmly correct his assumptions *shakes head.* Actually, I don't think he's really anti-semetic or anything, he's just one of those people who don't know any better. Thinks he was being witty...
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

I like your icon, shez...as strains of Misorlu waft through the air...followed by a nice romp with Aziza and Rhompi...
LOL...yeah...I bellydanced in my youth whth Serena's troupe at Lincoln center...LOL

some people have no idea when they are offending others...Unless you walk a mile in the moccasins of another, you don't know anything about them.
When I was in college...this was in the early sixties...before Martin Luther King Jr...and the freedom marches and such...schools in Maryland were mostly still segreated. i went to a teachers college on the edge of Baltimore maryland...called Towson State. It was one of the few integrated colleges around there at the time...and we had a good abmience on campus...or so I thought. Now, I was a member of the Glen Players...the campus repertory company...actually the second biggest rep company in Baltimore! I usually worked lights, scenery and costumes...but this one play...Don Juan in Hell... I was one of the ghosts that haunted him. I was an east indian woman.. and as such, I had on a sari and dark skin makeup. Very negroid in appearance if you did 't have the sari on...
Well, one evening we were doing dress rehearsal...full makeup and such.. and we were working out some glitches when we broke for dinner..with another several hours of rehearsal after dinner. I got into my regular clothes, but kept the makeup on...cuz it took forever to put it on... and went over to the dining hall. Now, I had walked in that hall every day for years...no bad vibes. but as i walked down to the serving area, I had this feeling of every eye hostilely on me...it was a palpable feeling...and I was taken aback at first...then realized that the mostly white students were seeing a black woman walking down the aisle. I thought to myself, "Is this what every black student feels... this palpable feeling of ...what?" ...it is hard to describe...it was like being pushed away...being told to get out...not hate, exactly...but certainly not friendly!!! I went into the serving area and all the black cooks behind the counter, with whom I was on a great basis, since I LOVED their cooking and often said so...looked at me and laughed...and said I looked FINE as a black woman! I agreed! they loaded my plate and I came out and walkeed over to a table where some friends of mine were sitting. the same feeling eminated from the table until I opened my mouth and said "Hi, guys..." when they knew it was me, the feeling disappeared!!! NO lie! I could feel it go as soon as they knew who I was! Now I had thought that the relations between blacks and whites on the towson campus was fine...up till that point. It was a subtle thing...very disquieting... and I wondered if peoples of different ethnic groups felt what I had felt all the time...or was i just being weird agaain. I still don't know the answer...but at the time i suspected that black students on campus DID feel the negativity. If this is the case, it is a hard row to hoe...it was like fighting to breathe...like you were closed in a suffocating box! and you were locked in there simply because you LOOKED a certain way!
Imagine what nighty feels! Or any other mutant, for that matter.
If, in reality, tolerance is only just skin deep...or not even...what do the peoples of other ethnic groups feel in our mostly white, European society?
That experience made me much more conscious of others reactions...usually not experessed. Maybe the civil liberties thing has changed that... but I doubt it. While America is supposed to be a big melting pot...it is not. It is, more and more, separate enclaves of "like to like". It is "towns" of ethnic sameness...Chinatown...Little Italy...Irish corners...Harlem... We aren't melting together...we are encapsulating!
Maybe this is the whole question of the difference from humanity that mutants represent...the tolerance...or acceptance issue.
If so, I am not sure it is being approached by people and attitudes that are going to HELP the situation. Making a medium like comics into a bastion for white males with only token ethnic representation...not to mention the disgusting way some of these writers write women...is a great disservice to the literary world. Comics should be used to help the problem be solved...not exacerbate the problem.
Chris, Dave and Len Wein, with the inclusion of a diverse racial rollcall, and the inclusion of ethnic diversity, were attempting to deal with the problem. Then Hardass and his cronies truned back the clock to the paranoia and myopia of the early twentieth century...or worse.Anti semitism is a nasty thing. Anti anyone, simply because of their ethnic background , is a nasty thing and has no place in modern thinking. but guess what...IT'S THERE!!! And it needs to be exposed for what it is and rooted out.
Marvel was once a force for understanding and the beauty of diversity...preaching tolerance and acceptance...and a willingness to consider all sides of a question..or a person's character. Now, it seems the boyos have closed ranks.
What can we do to change this? I don't know...I really don't. but until we do, marvel will never regain the heights it used to occupy. It occupied those heights because it was a beacon of freedom and tolerance. We know WHO tore down the beacon...I just don't understand why he was allowed to do so...and why this trend continues to this day.
I mean... By all the Forgotten Gods!!! Jewish people OWN and operate the company!!! Perlmutter! Avi Arad! Those guys! why aren't they saying..."Allright, you wiseguys...a little more sensitivity here or you're gonna be looking for new jobs! We want diversity in these books...not just a token shot at diversity! We want magneto as the charasmatic character we can merchandise the hell out of!"???
thanks to all who are writing to Marvel...every letter helps! I hope! But at least, it can't hurt!
OK...I'll get off my soapbox now...sigh..
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

Mucho garcia...LOL... and to you, blessings.
Thank you.
Yeah...twenty five years of packratting and he won't get rid of ANY of it!! OK... a couple of bags of magazines...BIG DEAL!!! sigh... and we move in three weeks! OY!
Ouch, I only have 20 years of packratting to pack. And only mine. And I have a few months still to do it.
And I gjust ran out of boxessmall enough for the books...and it's freakin SNOWING like a goddam blizzard! sigh...I hope we are dug out by Wennesday...so I can get more boxes from Pete! I still have half a library to pack and a huge bookcase in the living room!
Ouch! I have three books cases to pack-and then everything on top of the cases and on the floor around them...and the two big boxes of paperbacks, comics, and magazines...Ok, I guess I had better get started on those...
AAAUUUGGGHHH!!! not to mention the ART SUPPLIES!!!
AAAUUUGGGHHHHHH!!!
lol
pATY
LOL!! Have fun. My dog killed most of my supplies (and my film and camrea!:yell) so he lives on the farm owned by a man my father used to work with.
...i THINK i WOULD HAVE LOVED TO SIT IN ON THAT DISCUSSION! lol...
Oh, Paty I would have loved to have you there. I wish I would have taped it.
http://lady_erin.livejournal.com
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Want to IM me? U2U me for the screenname.
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

I like your icon, shez...as strains of Misorlu waft through the air...followed by a nice romp with Aziza and Rhompi...
LOL...yeah...I bellydanced in my youth whth Serena's troupe at Lincoln center...LOL
Danke!
Now I had thought that the relations between blacks and whites on the towson campus was fine...up till that point. It was a subtle thing...very disquieting... and I wondered if peoples of different ethnic groups felt what I had felt all the time...or was i just being weird agaain. I still don't know the answer...but at the time i suspected that black students on campus DID feel the negativity. If this is the case, it is a hard row to hoe...it was like fighting to breathe...like you were closed in a suffocating box! and you were locked in there simply because you LOOKED a certain way!
Imagine what nighty feels! Or any other mutant, for that matter.
If, in reality, tolerance is only just skin deep...or not even...what do the peoples of other ethnic groups feel in our mostly white, European society?
That experience made me much more conscious of others reactions...usually not experessed. Maybe the civil liberties thing has changed that... but I doubt it. While America is supposed to be a big melting pot...it is not. It is, more and more, separate enclaves of "like to like". It is "towns" of ethnic sameness...Chinatown...Little Italy...Irish corners...Harlem... We aren't melting together...we are encapsulating!
Maybe this is the whole question of the difference from humanity that mutants represent...the tolerance...or acceptance issue.
I've actually had many conversations on this subject in my sociology classes. I feel very lucky, because my college is very diverse. (it has the highest amount of black graduates of the SUNY schools) We get so many different views in these discussions, and especially talking about this anti-melting pot you mentioned. It's a myth that people assimilate culture when they come to America. We have cultural pluralism, many cultures living next to one another. However, the 'majority' group like to ignore this, like the big boys at Marvel seem to.
I mean... By all the Forgotten Gods!!! Jewish people OWN and operate the company!!! Perlmutter! Avi Arad! Those guys! why aren't they saying..."Allright, you wiseguys...a little more sensitivity here or you're gonna be looking for new jobs! We want diversity in these books...not just a token shot at diversity! We want magneto as the charasmatic character we can merchandise the hell out of!"???
Yeah, boys, represent! lol
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Bitte...
OK, guys...and gals... I may be offline for a while...It is getting down to nitty gritty here. I have less than three weeks to finish packing this house. So I may not peek in too often. I am just too busy.

If I don't get a chance to peek in ...or if Crawler doesn't throw me offlist for being verbally anti Morrison...which I most assuredly AM...I shall try to return later. I might peek in before we move on Jan 5...but if I do not, I shall attempt to return once we get to Belton SC....which is were our sorry tuschies are headed.
I hate moving in the winter, but the thought of a milder clime than is present outside our windows right now is a delicious thought in a wasteland of white, cold crap!
Bear with me kiddos...and Happy Holidays to all!

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

Good luck with the move, then! *dramatic* Leaving the rest of us to the cold cruel winter to go off southwards...
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Post by Panz »

Paty! good luck with the move to Belton. I even know where on the planet it is!

For a long time, my sweetie and I have considered a move to Greenville...how can you go wrong with a town that has a waterfall???? how Tolkeinsian! I wanna take long walks beside the Reedy river with my dog. SC is a lovely place.

Drive safe and take care.

Hugses
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Nightcrawler ZERO »

Well, read the NXM spoiler thread on X-Fan- this last issue is full of deaths that seem to add nothing to the story besides (MAYBE) closure........and the two Major ones were kinda uncharacteristic deaths.

[spoiler] Magneto gets gutted by Wolverine- even if he was blinded by Scott's blast, he was making perfect hits with his attacks. Wouldn't Logan be the easiest for Magneto to sense and incapaitate?

And as for Jean- for someone who brought herelf and a friend back from disintergration that same issue, she's taken out by a shot from behind by Magneto

seems a bit anti-climatic.[/spoiler]
Panz
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Panz »

NC-Zero...in regards to the spoilers: My dear, you DO have a way with understatements, now, don't you??????

CHRIS!!!!!!!!!!! pleaseepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease....could you fix this mess? please??????:(
Panz

Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

I shall take pictures of the Belton waterfall for you, Panz...LOL
And driving safely is not an option...my son is driving the camper that we are taking the plants and animals down in...sigh...Dave will be coming with Boo, so will be a lot safer...LOL When the people down there asked me how long it would take to get there, I told them fifteen minutes...LOL...they said fifteen hours? I said NO, fifteen minutes...it took them a bit to get it...life moves slower down there, I guess...LOLOLOL
I had to tell them "My son flies LOW!!...but since he's driving the cammper, he's gonna have to go slower...make that TWENTY minutes!" Then they got it! And laughed. The lawyer said he has a son that sounds like Phil!
I averred that the young have lots of chutzpa and oodles of courage...but I question the state of their minds when driving!!! Phil says he hates to drive so that's why he drives fast...to get it over with! OY!
Yes! BWAHAHAHAHAHAAA...I am looking forward to being south! We got nassssty white stuff again last night!!!PTUI!
covered the dribeway again! sigh...I really am beginning to HATE New York !

I am getting in some computer time in themiddle of the night cuz my scanner went off for a structure fire in a village near us and I can't sleep through a signal one!!! LOL...You can take the firehorse outta harness, but you can't keep her from pricking her ears when the alarm goes in! LOL I've been an active volunteer firfighter and EMT for sixteen...almost seventeen... years! Ya never lose it! Our asst Chief had a heart attack, retired, came back, was a fireman again and is now asst chief again! He'll die in his boots, I bet! The blindness slowed me down considerabllly...I couldn't drive my truck...but I remained on the active roll until last meeting when I formally retired cuz we were moving! Hard to answer calls in Cragsmoor when you live in South Carolina!
soI shall go away now after saying that New X Men one fifty is the most awful book in the history of comics writing..BAR NONE ! Bad writing...Horrid plot! No attention to detail or continuity...gratuitous violence and stupid, useless death of major characters...simply to feed the writer's ego and make a pairing of his choice..illogical choice... in the next four books...which I will NOT BUY! Don't even ask me what i think about them...I have only so much drek tolerance and i read the first one in wizard...which was a waste of twenty three good wizard pages!
I shall return to the book for 155 To see what Chuck Austen does for the couple of interem issues he is supposed to be doing.
Hey, Bamfette, is he gonna stick with New or start a whole different book? I would suggest the latter.. this book and it's timelines have been trashed. Nothing making sense...no closure of any kind...no ends tied up...plotthreads left dangling like unravelling muslin! I have never seen such an unholy mess!
I think I shall go throw up...excuse me...
PTUI
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

I posted a while ago here about looking for a list of Jewish supers; and I found one! (complete with griping about mags' retconnage) Anyway, it's at http://blaklion.best.vwh.net/jew.html for anyone else who was interested.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

OK...
so now you know from posts I asked Rivka to make that the move was the move from hell...the best laid plans of mice and men ganging aft agley!!! in spades!
dave fell critically ill with baterial pneumonia two days before the movers were to show up. He hung between life and death for five days on a respirator...we found out only recently that bacterial pneumonia...which is sorta rare... is rampant in the Hudson valley right now and has been extant there since before Christmas!!! He probably picked it up on one of his few forays out...to the docs or to see the Return of the King...which he doesn't remember at all! sigh... I am online for a short while by tapping into our NY dial up LOLOL...
I have unlimited long distance and the dial up networking is paid for until Feb or March...sooooo....heh heheh...
Anyway, Dave is, happily on the mend. He is very weak and cannot even hold a phone, so he has to ask one of the nurses to hold it for him..but his physical therepist is making him work at getting some use of his hands and arms back again. His bedside number, if Rivka or Cliff hasn't posted it, is:
718 741 4544
at the Bronx VA medical facility. Rivka said that someone posted the addy...so he is on 7C room 9 should anyone want to send cards. And she may have already posted that, too.

In spite of having had a flu bug myself, the house is being whipped into shape almost as I type...heheheheheee
Actually, Boo went north to get her car, got stuck there in blizzard conditions and managed to get down to see Dave a day or so ago. She said it was a real upper for him, so any touch with reality is good for him. When he woke up from being on the ventilator, he didn't know where he was or why...or why he couldn't move his arms and legs which had to be restrained during his time on the ventilator. All in all, the docs say he is lucky to be alive since he had a bacterial infection...sepsis... in his blood at the time too. He never does anything but that he does it RIGHT!!! sigh...
So he is on the mend. when he comes home will depend on how fast he gets movement back in his arms and legs...and the physical therapist is working him like a slavedriver..according to him. He wants only a diet coke for reward...they haven't allowed it yet but he is finegalling to coerce one of the nurses to get him one...LOL
I reminded him that he DID have money with him in his fannypack to buy one if he could manage to get medical clearance. this brightened his day considerably!!!

I may not post too regularly for a while..until we get a local server...but will look in periodically to see what's happening.

I am given to understand that the fo9llowup to the planet X business is so inane that even diehard Morrisonites cannot defend it...but, having read the first installment in Wizard, I coulda told ya that...a long time ago...heh...
and since we're in Cockrum's Corner, Crawler can't get a bug up his arse about me putting down a writer who so deservedly needs to be hauled up short and told to either write well or quit...for the good of the industry!!! Of course, the great god morrison will do only what pleases the great god morrison...so thank the forgotten gods that he is gone from Marvel...hopefully never to darken it's doors again...if anyone with any sense in their skull resides there these days...
Opinionated???Who??? ME???
Yeah... moving south has NOT mellowed me...at all...heh....
Ah, well... I guess that's all for now from the sunny south...I love it here!!!
YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAA!!!

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

:D Paty, it is good to hear from you! I'm glad Dave is doing better! I Just sent a card off for him! It should make him feel better! Please tell him Ken said "Hi":D

The move must be horrible at this point with Dave not feeling well. The pets. The packing. Is it warming up a little at least there?

New X-Men hasn't done much better either in the feeling well department. It needed an IV from the first issue of Planet X. :LOL But I did enjoy the preview of the new arc "Here Comes Tomorrow". I'm looking at the arc as fun and not real so to speak. A possibility perhaps. I wonder if this arc will somehow redeem Morrison from his last debacle, aka "Planet X"? Don't know. But as I said I did enjoy reading the preview of New 151.
Panz
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Panz »

Thanks for the number, Paty, but I feel a bit awkward calling if he isn't up to picking up the phone himself...the thing must be ringing off the hook! I'll wait a few days until he's a bit more feisty to bug him even tho' I really want to say hi...the poor guy needs his rest.

Just as long as he knows he is getting panz hugs and cusses. I've been trying to write a get-well card all morning, but the only thing that keeps coming out is "If you EVER scare me like this again, I'll WALK to SC and get medeival on your ARSE!!!!" Now get better dammit!
Panz

Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Well, as you know by now...Feb 3, Dave is on the Physical therapy floor and the new number he can be reached at is:
718 741 4303
don't feel weird about calling, I know he would love to hear from any of you who can do that. He can pick up the phone now and they are starting to really work him to restore the muscles that atrophied while he was soooo very sick and immobilized. As any of you know who have gone on long ttrips, a couple of hours of not getting up and moving can really stove you in...and he was immobilized for not one day, but NINE! I thought it was five days he was on the respirator, but Boo tells me it was nine! During that time I was going crazy with trying to sell one house and buy another, so I lost track...which is easy for me to do, anyway. We used to get the local newspapers so that when the color comics came in we would know another week had passed.LOL...that's true, too!!!

Anyway, he is doing much better, sounds like himself again and would, I know love to hear from any of you, if you can afford a call or the time. VA tv is not the most eclectic of channel selection!
LOL
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

I found this strange Magneto-related fact in a bio for Quicksilver, and I thought I'd mention it here:
In Quicksilver Issue #12, Pietro called upon his father's genes and was able to use magnetic powers, similar to his father's, to break free of his constraints. It had already been said that The Scarlet Witch had her father's power, which was over rode by her own probability changing abilities, so one would assume that Pietro also carries this power with him.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

;mags:
Hmmmm... this one is news to me...but then, I don't think I ever read the Quicksilver series...I may have to pick it up...but I never could warm up to Pietro. Wanda was my alter ego...and I fear for her identity with the anti Magneto faction at Marvel trying to retcon everything that has to do with Magneto.
I don't mind telling you, I am getting tired of these little shits trying to destroy Claremont's run. It was the most successful run in comics history and all they are is jealous little children! If they are so damn good, why can't they create a series of their own and make it as successful as the Claremont X Men? They cannot..that's why! They haven't the wherewithal!
All they can do is steal the names of the characters who already have recognition and fan base! I am so purely pissed at these thieves that I am beside myself...and two of me is dangerous! They should watch over their shoulders!there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreampt of in their wildest nightmares!

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Well, Paty- your disgust towards Ultimate magneto may soon come to an end:
From Newsrama.com:

While details on Marvel’s Reloaded X-Men event are still trickling out at the pace of molasses, Variety revealed that X-Men movie director Bryan Singer would take a swing at a year’s worth of Ultimate X-Men along with screenwriters Dan Harris and Mike Dougherty.

According to the trade, the three will write a year’s worth of the series, before writing X3. Before UXM however, Doughtery and Harris will adapt Orson Scott Card’s Ender’s Game for film, with Wolfgang Petersen attached to direct.

The timing of the trio's run is unclear, as David Mack was previously announced to be the writer following current UXM writer Brian Bendis' run. When we spoke with Mack last summer, in his view, his run on the series was open ended. Additionally, Brian K. Vaughn was recently announced as writing a short arc in the series as well.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Hmmmm... yes, I had heard about the movie guys taking a shot at Ultimate. the problem with ultimate is that the series has wholly new and unrelated to the real X Universe origins.
that we saw, in a semi recent issue, Mags sitting in a plastic prison may have been an attempt to bring elements of the movies into THAT continuity to give it more validity. As X mythos, however, it has none. It is an alternate universe at best...a giant "What if..." story that keeps going under pretense of being the real X universe. PTUI
It is not without it's elements of merit, however. I loved the bit with Mags sitting there drolly reading his fan mail and offers of marriage...with reading glasses, no less! I 'bout fell off my chair laughing. A moment almost as priceless as Mags in the real X Universe tooling around the country in a volkswagen...Hitler's only success! Now, that was droll!
And probably a serendipitous mistake...or at least not intended. Of course it was not really Mags, but we were stpposed to think so at the time...and even being a clone of Mags, the joke had validity. Especially if you hark back to Mags being the subject of experimental medical manipulation and experimentation...things that happened to Jews in the death camps. But, unfortunately, I doubt that the "in joke" was intentional. At the time, I was not impressed with the erudition of the writing enough to credit that such a piece of subtle humor was done intentionally...I have had no reason to change my opinion proffered me.

What the movie scripters will do to bring Ultimate into line with the movieverse will be interesting, I suppose...especially if they monkey with the origins to bring them more in line with the real X Universe on which the movies are based.
the problem with multiple venues is that unless you adhere completely to the original, you are gonna create a different universe with every major deviation from established canon. But that is what Hollywood does..always! It cannot let well enough alone...it has to "improve" everything. It doesnn't matter that these characters and scenerios and universes have been extant and popular for over forty years! No! that holds no sway...or very little. They can do it better! sigh...I suppose we should be grateful for the amount of adherence that the movies DO show to the real universe. And by "real" I, of course, refer to the 616 reality...as opposed to the Ultimate or the recent Planet X fiasco...which bears no resemblance to rreality of any ilk.
With Marvel, the game of revolving creators is never ending. they don't know what the hell they are doing there. They allowed idiots like Harras to undermine the strong foundation that chris claremont had built for an X empire...then allowed a total nonentity like Morrison, whose own sense of self importance is exceeded only by his inability to write a coherent story, to destroy the major characters that had escaped or dodged the Hardass pogrom. And then they wonder why their star is declining! Well...that happens when you don't value what you have...when you don't protect your valuable characters...when you don't "mind the store". Marvel thought it was indestructable...and found out differently. Now it is floundering for direction, with the only thing keeping it afloat being the movies...based on the original characterizations. So it would seem the dictum from on high is "back to basics"...and about time! but they do need to incorporate some diverse ethnic, racial and female input. that formula, started by Stan in the seventies, was what was building the diversity that was making Marvel popular across cultures...which broadens your readership and financial base considerablly. when a somewhat myopic WASP boys club came into power with the Harras crew, things went to hell in a handbasket rather quickly...and Marvel lived on it's "rep" for years as it's quality declined and readers who were used to quality and diversity slowly went away. Marvel didn't know that you can bleed to death slowlyas easily as rapidly. Or, at least, just as fatally. Marvel has always been great on fantasy...but it took leave of science some time ago.
This was brought to my attention when, a few days ago I opened a box of stuff we moved and found, to my surprize, a xerox of a letter to Marvel...or rather to Faian N...I can never spell this guy's name off the tip of my head...LOL. Anyway, I berated him for not knowing or researching ANY medical facts of how to deal with a comatose body! he had Magneto sitting there after being mind blasted by Xavier. SITTING THERE!!! With IV tubes pumping fluid into his body...and no visible sign of how that excess fluid was being drained off! and that was the least of the medical problems with that scenerio that i pointed out!
At the time I was an active EMT and I went ballistic! that was MY Mags they were killing! Abusing! Practicing bogus medical science on!!! I ranted. I raved. I heaped scorn on their literary heads. Did anyone listen? Hell, NO! sigh...those boyos were so full of hubris and the idea that they could do anything and it would be accepted, that it was amazing.
Marvel wasn't always so short sighted. We used to run around correcting glitches as we found them to make a more believable universe...which was one of the reasons it was so well recieved and lovingly followed. I remember the first day I was at Marvel...I was being shown around and we went into the coloring department and George Roussos was coloring a cover with a grizzly bear on it. He was coloring the bear a blue black. I looked at the cover and said "Very nice, sir, but grizzly bears aren't black. they are various shades of brown...most notably a golden brown. City readers won't know the differencee, but your rural readers...of which there are a lot across this country, WILL know the difference." Marie Severin, who was giving me the twentyfive cent tour, looked at me, asked if I was sure about that. I told her Yes, I was...I was a hunter...and knew my game. Black bears were smaller and mostly indiginous to the northeast, although could be found in other areas. She looked at George and said "That's what we need around here... some good, old fashioned KNOWLEDGE! Change it George!" George fussed and said he would have to change the whole color layout of the cover...but he did it...grumbling all the way. I told him he could have gotten away with it if it hadn't said "grizzly" on the blurb on the cover! Specific references demand you check your color reference if you want to be as correct as possible.
Hmmm...I digressed there a bit, didn't I? but I guess what I was thinking was that if "back to basics" means they will pay attention to making the X universe reality more "real", then the quality of the books and the storytelling can only improve from the sewer it now resembles.
'nuff said, True believer!
LOL...those were the days, my friend...we thought they'd never end...

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
msgt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by msgt »

Hi all!

I know I disagree with most of you when it comes to New X-men. I'm a big fan and I like GM writing.

But thats not what I've come to write about. I have info about GM's last issue.

It ties everything in the run together. And it does explain Magnento's actions and why he killed Jean Grey.

I haven't read the issue but I've heard from three people whom I trust who have seen an advanced copy

[spoiler] The Drug kick is actually Sublime in gaseous form. Sublime is actually an ancient entity. Those who used kick were under his influence!

In the future Beast is evil because he had eventually took the drug and he became under the influence of Sublime. And it was Beast who took over the school because Scott and Emma didn't.

This is revealed in New X-men 154.

The conclusion of the arc does affect the present because we go back to Scott and Emma's conversation at Jean's grave (because Jean burns through the bad future) and Cyclops changes his mind (seems like Jean used her powers to make him change his mind)

And this way Cyke and Emma will take over the school instead of the Beast.

Jean was supposed to destory the universe, but what she does is just go back and stop Beast from talking ove the school. Jean's fate is ambigious. She might be technically alive now but she is still in the White Room.

But this explains Magneto's actions and behavior. Sublime was behind everything- manipulationg everything in New. He was behind the U-Men, the nano-sentinels, and the drugs. He was also influencing if not down right controlling all of those who were on Kick.

Xorn and Magneto while being bad but more rational may have been the true Magento. Psycho mass murderer Magneto was most likely Sublime Magneto.

There is more to the issue... like we learn more about the Cuckoos and Fantomex and even No-Girl!

[/spoiler]

Mike
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Now, I will admit to not having seen the issue in question... but I have heard from those who have read it...and who say it is just more fractured gobbledigook...explaining lamely things that had no buildup or rational presentation...but were literally thrown in to finish off the story. Yes, Mags was absolved of the horrendous stuff done in Planet X in his name...but was that Morrison? I doubt it. I think it was editorial doing a bit of spin doctoring because the word had come down from on high..."FIX THIS MESS!!!" You can see evidence of editorial inserting lines to explain things and change things in other issues too...if you know where and how to look.
Do I think all of this explaining was Grant Morrison? No I do not. I especially don't think he put in the one line that absolved Mags of his actions...ONE LINE!!!
Errudite people whose judgement i trust have seen the issue and say it is the veriest pile of incoherent crap they have ever seen. Not even the lovely silvestri art can salvage it as a story ...and all I can say is thank goodness the Morrison run is over and not likely to survive the retcons that are sure to come!
Please...whichever of you is listening up there...let them come!!!
I can only do the happy nekkid pagan dance and croon to the moon..."ding, dong, the Morrison's gone..." and hope and pray he doesnn't do to DC what he did to marvel...which is, in my opinion, sink the boat!

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020