New Cockrum site

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
JasonSacks
Lubber
Lubber

New Cockrum site

Post by JasonSacks »

Hi all,

I'd like to announce that there will soon be a new site devoted to the work and career of Dave Cockrum, davecockrum.net. In its first blush I'm going to be concentrating mainly on uploading information on the Dave tribute book and benefit auctions; however, down the line I'd love for the site to become the central repository for Cockrum material, including a bibliography, a link to this messageboard, art by both Dave and his fans, and a guestbook for folks to leave messages for Dave and Paty.

I'm not doing this of any self-interest. I'm just a big fan of Dave's work and it seems a shame not to have a formal site devoted to his work. (Nightscrawlers being, for me, more a messageboard than a full-fledged site) I am a professional web designer so this seems like the best way to donate my skills to helping the Cockrums in their time of crisis.

Obviously I have a number of questions for all of you, since you're Dave's most devoted fans.

- Is it OK for me to upload the Cockrum art from Nightscrawlers to davecockrum.net, while still giving credit to this forum?
- Would anyone like their fan art to be on that site as well? (I won't upload any non-Cockrum art without specific permission)
- Does anyone have a Cockrum bibliography that I can upload?
- Does anyone have additional ideas for cool content on the site?

I'd like to have the beginnings of the site up and running by the weekend. I'm also trying to acquire davecockrum.com from the squatters who currently own it.

Thanks for your time! Please feel free to reply at my personal email, jasonsacks@hotmail.com, if you prefer.
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

New Cockrum site

Post by Gaz »

Sounds awesome! I can't wait to see and and would love to contribute anything you would accept. There is a lot of info on Dave and I'm sure that as soon as he's feeling better he'll provide you with the information you need.
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

New Cockrum site

Post by Garble »

You'll have to ask Crawler or Bamfette for official permission of course, but I don't think they'll have a problem with it so long as you support all the images yourself.
There are hacks put in to keep people from using Nightscrawlers Images on other websites.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

New Cockrum site

Post by Crawler »

Well, we don't control the Dave art here. Dave does. So you'll have to wait until he rejoins us to ask him. Basically, we use it with his permission, and you would likewise need that permission. :)
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
JasonSacks
Lubber
Lubber

New Cockrum site

Post by JasonSacks »

Thanks for your feedback. Can someone offer some insight into the issue of posting art? I don't want to display art by Dave and/or Paty without their permission, but at the same time there is scads of art on the web that are not with the permission of the artist. What do you see the rules being if I, for instance, scanned some of the art from Dave's recent interview in Alter Ego? What would your opinion be of grabbing art that's posted in conjunction with eBay auctions?

It's important to me that everything be as correct as possible on this site. With all the attention Dave is receiving now, I'd really like this site to be the primary place where people can get news and information on Dave. That is, beyond the wonderful work you guys do here in Nightscrawlers! :-)
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

New Cockrum site

Post by Panz »

Hey, Jason....I'm just a lowly writer of several, as of yet unpublished works, but I wanted to say thank you for doing this for Dave.

:)

Annika L
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
JasonSacks
Lubber
Lubber

New Cockrum site

Post by JasonSacks »

Have any of you had a chance to check out http://www.davecockrum.net? If so, what did you think? I'm anxious to add more content to the site; please let me know if you have any suggestions!

And the Dave Cockrum bibliography might be the best on the web - I even found a list of all the letters he wrote to comics when he was a fan! Let me tell you: our man had great taste in comics!
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

New Cockrum site

Post by Dark Bamf »

Jason, you have my permission to use scans from Nightscrawlers, if it's ok with Crawler and Bamfette. I imagine it's ok to use Paty's stuff too, but it's probably best if you ask her first.

Paul Levitz was recently cleaning out some of Julie Schwartz's files and came across some of the art and letters Julie kept to embarrass me with, whenever I stopped by. Cliff Meth wants permission to put some of it into the Dave Cockrum tribute book. I'm not sure if I want to leave myself open to that kind of public humiliation, so as yet I haven't given him permission. :LOL

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

New Cockrum site

Post by little Blue Lucy »

Woohoo! Good on, JasonSacks!
It would be cool to have links to interviews, and perhaps some media, on the site. At any rate, it's awesome, and Dave most certainly deserves the gratitude. :)
Vala: "Hello."
Daniel: "What the hell are you doing here?"
Vala: "Isn't this my room?"
Daniel: "Noooo… your room is across the hall… with the… guard in front of it."
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"
Daniel: "No, we shalln't."
Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member #11 :engarde

:respectnc and they'll respect you, back.
JasonSacks
Lubber
Lubber

New Cockrum site

Post by JasonSacks »

Good idea, Lucy! Thanks! I'll try to find some links over the next few days. Please let me know if you have any favorites.
shakspear
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

New Cockrum site

Post by shakspear »

Cool, you have the blessings of the Big Man himself! Great site, by the way!:D
As much or more we should ourselves complain.

Assume a virtue, if you have it not.
Be great in act, as you have been in thought.

William Shakespeare

"Stealing from one person is called plagiarism; stealing from a bunch of people is called research." -Alfred E. Newman.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

New Cockrum site

Post by Paty »

:mags

Hey, Jason... Paty here. sor the record, you can use any of my stuff on Dave's site, too...as you wellknow...LOL
Paty
:mags
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto