Magneto Sighting in Belton, SC

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
brenhow
Lubber
Lubber

Post by brenhow »

Paty,

Like Brian, I am a regular poster to the Byrne board and an admirer of both John Byrne and Dave Cockrum. I can't speak to any of your personal experiences with JB over the years, but I do know that when JB made his observation, it was not done to insult Mr Cockrum's methods but rather to identify them. JB has been known to make similar comments about his own work! The phrase you interpret as an insult COULD be read that way, I suppose, but only if taken grossly out of context and reading between the lines by informing the words with unrelated experiences. Clearly, you and Mr Cockrum have those experiences but no one reading the message would have. I doubt that anyone reading that page considered it to be an insult (excepting your "correspondent," whoever they may be).

For the past six or seven years I have been visiting message boards where JB hangs out, and I can tell you without fear of contradiction that JB has never had anything negative to say about Mr Cockrum's work. I have seem him pay numerous compliments to Mr Cockrum's designs and layouts over the years. JB has even been forthcoming and honest about the fact that sales of X-MEN started to rise after he left the book and when Mr Cockrum returned.

(Incidentally, the Byrne Board allows topics on a wide variety of subjects -- movies, television, politics, etc. -- and posters often disagree with JB. It's only when the disagreement becomes abusive and trollish that action is taken by the moderators. Threads about other active comicbook pros are generally discouraged, simply because most of them have their own forums and the discussions either belong there or a more generic comicbook message board. Did your "correspondent" communicate all of that with any accuracy?)

It's a darn shame that this misunderstanding led to the omission of the JB piece from the tribute book, if for no other reason than the obvious fact that many fans of Mr Cockrum also have a soft spot in their hearts for the work JB did with Mr Cockrum's characters. No matter what personal experiences you and Mr Cockrum had with JB in the past, the intentional exclusion of a well-wisher speaks much louder than anything JB said. It's all a headscratcher to me.

I wish Mr Cockrum the best and look forward to seeing more of his work in the future. He is truly a giant in the history of comics, as anyone with two eyes and a little bit of taste can tell!

Brendan Howard
mt_rambler
Lubber
Lubber

Post by mt_rambler »

Paty,
Can you or Dave post scans of the penciled pages he just got back for the two unused stories? It would be a shame if Dave sold the pages as a complete book as only a few collectors would be able to afford the it. I understand it would bring more money for you and Dave initially, but if you sold the individual pages more of Dave's fans would have a chance at owning a page penciled by Dave.
By the way even with a few artists missing from the Tribute book, it is an amazing collection of artwork. I hope to own a piece or two from the book as I am bidding on a few in the heritage auction.)

Be seeing you,
Brian
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Post by Paty »

:mags
right now, Brian, I do believe the Nightscrawlers galleries are inaccessible due to the protective upgrades that had to be put in after hackers got in and used the board to attack people...myself included. some people don't like free speech.... LOL.... go figure... so until upload abilities are in place, I don't know if that is possible. Jill or Bamf Bunny would have to address that question. I don't have a scanner big enough to scan the whole page...which, as you know, has an image size of ten by fifteen inches...regular comic book art page. so we will have to go over to one of the copy places to get the pages shot down to scannable size. I NEED A GODDAMN XEROX MACHINE!! That can't happen until at least next week. My sis is visiting her daughter for the week and won't be back until next week... and until the ulcer on Dave's driving foot clears up, Dave can't drive... and I can't drive myself having become legally blind about five years ago. I am working on it, however...LOL... I miss driving ... especially my fire truck! LOL We have lovely neighbors who have volunteered to take us into Anderson, but I hesitate to impose for anything short of an emergency...you know... like running out of ONIONS! ... or something catastrophic like that...I just got a fifty pound bag of onions... so I think I am OK on that one...LOL...
So, it will be at least next week until we can logically get out to anderson to do that kind of copying. but i think it is a moot point until the gallery is up and running....at least here. Jason may be able to post them to the site he set up for Dave...LOL... which was very nice of him... Dave and I both being computer dummies...LOL Daave has posted things to the board...including some of my work... but I have never attempted it. I don't want to blow up anything! don't laugh! I managed to delete a DVD driver, a D drive...screw up an A drive... all without even realizing I had done it!!! Now a savvy friend, not Cat... someone else who designs computer programs... said I didn't know enough to delete those programs... yet he couldn't explain where they had gone! LOL ... and they WERE gone... totally vanished! All I could say is "wanna bet? ... magick fingers! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA !!"

I am not sanguine about computers... didn't even have one tillmy mom died three years ago and left me a little money so I figured I should have one and see what was out there...LOL... It did expand my horizons which, because of the blindness...or partial blindness... had become rather limited. but I still prefer horses...thoroughly stuck in a pre computer world...sigh...

If we can get these pages shot down and scanned, I shall advise people of where we are posting them. If I remember correctly, one story is written by Sterno... Roger Stern...The other I am not sure of... and one is , I believe a New Mutants story. I guess they decided not to use them because some of the characters in at least one of them are deceased these days...LOL...and since they are humans rather than mutants, they probably won't be coming back! Humans tend to do that... die and stay dead...LOL...superdoops don't seem to have that option... thankfully, in some cases!

And, yes, Brendan, I have had some experience with Mr. Byrne. I used to watch with a wry grin as he would come into the Marvel offices and within fifteen minutes have virtually everyone wanting to strangle himwith their bare hands! Except Sterno... who followed him around slavishly. We all used to shake our heads at that...especially when Byrne would "dis" Sterno behind his back. they later went on to do a smashing Captain America together, however! A lot of people over the years have had "life experience" with John...and not all of it pleasant...in fact not much of it pleasant. I will not tell you how many emails I have gotten saying "Right ON! Paty!" and then going on to explain about their experiences with Mr. Byrne. And that is neither here nor there. My experiences with Mr. Byrne dictated my response. I have a number of correspondents in many aspects of the buz. some I take with a grain of salt... some are erudite and savvy and I listen to what they have to say... and if it jibes with what I know, from personal experience, and observation, then well.... I tend to give their opinions a little more acceptance. As most people who know me will tellyou... I am patient to a fault...because I have my own eccentricities and glitches... and tend to forgive them in others. But even my patience wears out at times. It is hard to get on my shit list...it is even harder to get off. But people have been known to do so. If, over the years, I see a personal growth...a mature understanding blossom...a self centeredness turn into a concern for others... then Icut humongous slack. I have even been known to reverse my opinion of someone who has acted badly, gotten onmy shit list and then grown up, taken responsibility for their life and started acting as a responsible person. Being an old fart, I am big on responsibility and courtesy. But also being educated, intelligent and opinionated, I do not hesitate to correct bad behavior. I have often told my correspondents."Calm down... that doesn't mean anything..." or "take it easy...it's not worth getting all fashed about..." But JB pushed one button too many. I was not irrational or upset when I made the decision... just fed up after twenty five years of kaka del toro! And, yes, most of that poop de doop was not aimed at Dave...it was flung at other comic professionals. Dave had gone off to do his own thing, deserting the mainstream comics scene for other venues. He was no threat to byrne...no competition. Byrne could ignore him.
Around the offices, Byrne had been known to say that if hHE hadn't done something... it hadn't been DONE! Which all of us considered the veriest arrogance... but then, that is what would set the Marvel staffers off every time he walked intthe door...his arrogant attitude. As one staffer put it..."He thinks his shit doesn't stink..." LOL... and we would all heave a sigh of relif when he went back to Canada. I took Byrne with a grain of salt...he didn't really affect me. Sure, he took over after Dave left the X Men... but that was Dave's decision. I read the books for Chris's stories. Byrne's art was OK... I wasn't fond of the style, cuz I am not fond of cartoony style.. coloring book simplicity... I want my art to have backgrounds and some depth and complexity. I like embellishments on buildings and walls. I like extravagant costumes and illustrative art. but John's art was competant after he learned girls weren't blow up dolls with all the proper orifices...He did grow as an artist...so by the time he got on the X Men, his art was viable to glean for merchandising... which was one of the criteria I used to judge art coming into the Marveloffices. It was OK...not the excellence of Romita or Buscema... but competant, at least.
In retrospect, I think byrne became so popular BECAUSE a lot of fans just coming in to the genre wer coming in from exposure to the Saturday Morning Cartoons. And that art... which is what they were used to... was simmplistic and open for color... like Byrne's. His art was a forerunner of and a bridge between the more realistic art styles and the anime style which was just beginning to become popular...and which later took off and exploded on the comics scene in America. I have always preferred the more realistic, more illustrative art for the X Men. That's just my own personal taste in art. I saw and actually colored one piece of Byrne comic story art in later years that was beautiful illustrative stuff... for Warp graphicl... the Elfquest stuff. He did one story that was breathtakingly lovely. My comment was, at the time, "Damn... he has come a long way! This is beautiful stuff!" But then,this was fantasy art... which generally calls for a more illustrative approach than superdoop stuff.
When JB took over the X Men, I thought nothing of it. Artists were always playing round robin with art chores... get tired of drawing cast of thousands charactes... want to draw something different...want to create new characers... want to try this or that... LOL... I think artists have a shorter attention span than writers. I know that Dave was worn out with drawing the X Men, the Starjammers, which he created for a book of their own and Chris glommed for X Men when all the preview books were booked for the next two years... and the Shi'ar empire with a zillion Emperial Guard members ..alli n one issue! It was not cast of thousands comics... it was cast of MILLIONS comics! He wanted a rest... someone had to pick up the art chores... could have been anybody. No biggie. When Byrne got tired of drawing Dave's characters and wanted to go off and create his own group, .. which he did... Alpha Flight... Dave had had his rest and came back on the book. I do know that Chris was waiting for John to leave the book so he could do stories...specifically concerning Magneto... which he knew Byrne would fight him on. chris wanted to humanize Magneto and Byrne wanted a ratbastard. Chris would give Byrne a synopsis that concerned Mags and Byrne would draw him in the worst possible light... and Chris would have to tone down the ratbastardness with copy... so he saved the interesting stuff untilhe had an artist who would work WITH him on it....not fight him every inch of the way. byrne is an alpha personality...he wants it HIS way. Chris is a beta personality... as is Dave. Easygoing, genial...they played off each other, worked with each other...I mean two am calls ..."Hey I just thought of this... can we include it here, dave?" LOL... or Dave calling Chris to suggest a different way of presenting this scene to make it more visually effective. they worked well together. I have no idea how Chris and Byrne worked.. but I do know Chris waited until Byrnehad tired of the X Men before trying certain storylines. Of course, he did the same with Dave. He wanted to make Storm punkish... and knew Dave would object, since Dave created Storm and thought she hould be this serene goddess type. So Chris waited until Dave went away and did it with another artist. LOL... that was Chris's way...LOL No matter what Byrne says, the stories were always Chris's...he would research his stuff out the wazoo. One of the reasons they killed off Thunderbird was that they couldn't at the time get enough info on Native Americans to do the character right... so they killed him off rather than do him WRONG! It was a precipitous move that they both regretted later...at least I know Dave did..LOL

Oh,dear... I have digressed all over the place here, haven't I? What can I say...LOL... it's the middle of the night...and in the serenity of five am, before the birds outside have even started singing their morning songs, you tend to remember... and ramble...sigh

Maybe I shall go back tobed...LOL...it is entirely too early...Brian, I shall let you know about the scans after I talk to dave ...who is sound asleep right now...LOL...shhhhhhh... Watch this thread...LOL... shhhhhh.... us ol'
folk gotta have our snoozies... LOL...
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

The Nightscrawlers gallery isn't compatible with the new version of the forum...but we ARE working on it.

Hopefully it will be back soon. :D

And, just for the record, we beleive that the hackers targeted us because of the software we were running, not because of anything going on here. The exploits on our old board came to be well known and apparently it's highly entertaining to hack random boards to cause mischeif...

Paty -- if you'd like to scan the page in two parts and send them to me, they shouldn't be all that hard to stitch together into a pleasant single piece. If you decide to do that, just be sure to scan them both as straight as you can, since it makes for a much better final product.

I'll even host them here at Nightscrawlers for you. We've got a little extra space for the time being.

And to the new people, whom, from their posts so far, I assume came to us from Lying in the Gutters...thank you for being polite and civil. It's very appreciated. :D I was afraid we'd get caught in the middle of a big Byrne vs. Cockrum flamefest, so thank you for not going down that road.

-- Christopher
Administrator
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

Sorry, MT, Paty's allowed a bit of a miscommunication here. The pages are NOT pencils. They're penciled by me, all right, but they've been inked as well. Joe Rubinstein inked the X-Men story, and I inked myself on the New Mutants one--although the credit line says Joe inked that one as well; it was lettered and then I decided to ink it since Joe was unavailable.

:bamf
Originally posted by mt_rambler
Paty,
Can you or Dave post scans of the penciled pages he just got back for the two unused stories? It would be a shame if Dave sold the pages as a complete book as only a few collectors would be able to afford the it. I understand it would bring more money for you and Dave initially, but if you sold the individual pages more of Dave's fans would have a chance at owning a page penciled by Dave.
By the way even with a few artists missing from the Tribute book, it is an amazing collection of artwork. I hope to own a piece or two from the book as I am bidding on a few in the heritage auction.)

Be seeing you,
Brian
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
mt_rambler
Lubber
Lubber

Post by mt_rambler »

Dave,
After rereading Paty's posts, I see she didnd't mention they were just penciled pages. In my haste I read into her post more than what was there. Still having some unpublished Cockrum pages inked by a great inker like Joe Rubenstein is still pretty cool and I would still love to see them.

Be seeing you,
Brian
Partychief21
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Partychief21 »

Hi there ,

I'm new to this forum, but not new to cockrum's wonderful art. I was first introduced to the X-men in seventh grade after trading some plastic army men for a huge stack of comics. I was instantly sucked into the stories and art. and one of my faves was the "Brood" storyline and artwork, thanks Dave! Anyway, as soon as I read on Neal Adam's site about Dave's plight I got on ardvark to order the tribute (since that way Dave gets most of the $) and I was so happy to see the article in Wizard ( although they tap-dance around how Marvel has treated this creator of the new X-men --very distasteful)

I was curious as to why you picked S.C. to moved to? ( Nothing against it, I live in Beaufort , Right outside Parris Island ) I had a friend growing up whose family was from Belton by the name Chandler who had a farm up there and we went up there when we were twelve once to visit and ride dirt bikes on the farm. All I remember are the rolling hills and a wonderful river and reddish soil. Anyway I just thought that It was neat that you picked little old S.C. to inhabit over any other place and after being in the big apple and and I think it's great that the comic community pulled together to help out one of their own. Once again, thank you Dave for your many creations and your wonderful imagination that spawned those.
;):computer
czeskleba
Lubber
Lubber

Post by czeskleba »

Originally posted by mt_rambler
Still having some unpublished Cockrum pages inked by a great inker like Joe Rubenstein is still pretty cool and I would still love to see them.
If I recall correctly, one or two pages from the unpublished X-Men story appeared in Roy Thomas' Alter Ego magazine, issue #24, which is still available from TwoMorrows:
http://www.twomorrows.com/alterego/index.html

The issue also features interviews with Dave, Wein, and Claremont about the creation of the new X-Men, and sports a new cover and other rare art by Dave. Well worth checking out.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

OK... LOL... fess up time. for some reason I thought they were pencils myself! really... and now that Dave mentions it, he DID tell me that they were inked. sheesh! I think I remember them being pencils cuz I remember seeing them when he did them and I knew they had never been published... and it just stuck in my head that they were still pencils!

DUH...

LOL... so it was easy for people to get the wrong idea... since we were talking about that pencilled page that Brian has...
Brian... you should see the pencils on this piece Dave just did... a Brood fighting an Alien!!! Good stuff! Especially since the alien was a direct influence on dave's cretion of the Brood characters...buggies...
dave's pencils are always lovely. He likes to draw... he likes to embellish and add touches that bring richness to a page. Chris used to despair at having any place to put word balloons and captions! He would look at Dave with a wry grin and say..."Cockrum...will you PLEASE leave some room for copy!?" He always said he hated to cover dave's art with copy...but he HAD to! LOL... the page you have, Brian, if I remember it correctly actually DOES have room for copy cuz it is in the middle of a fight scene...isn't it? Kitty Pryde and a couple of the Imperial Guard gals? Nice page...LOL, sepecially if you like gals! LOL...

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
mt_rambler
Lubber
Lubber

Post by mt_rambler »

Paty (and other fans of Dave's work),
Here is the page from the X-Men/Starjammers story we have been talking about.

It's even signed :-). Though I do have a few other pages by Dave including one from Uncanny X-Men #98, I would love to get the #98 page signed in person. I know it will be tough but any chance of Dave and you making it out to San Diego con (or Wonder con in SF where I live).

Be seeing you,
Brian
Dezzy Dragon
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Dezzy Dragon »

Only one word can describe that art and that is gorgeous. Some of the newer art that comes out is fantastic as well (Darick comes to mind there) but there is just something about Dave’s art that can never be toped. That and I just love the way he draws Kitty! :love
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Ha! I had forgotten the absolutly smashing shot of Raza! Yeah... these are typical Dave pencils, though not as ornate a page as some. dave likes to draw...not just break down stories. I have seen him angst over a panel that is just not working for him forhours... sometimes DAYS! It has to be right. He is like Romita SR. in that regard. both of them want every line to be perfect! I have seen Dave erase a whole page cuz it wasn't working the way he wanted it to work... and sometimes redraw a page again and again. If it still doesn't work, he just tears up the piece of paper... cuz it is obviously cursed... and takes a break and then goes back and the next piece of paper will be more helpful.... that one will let him put doewn what he wants to put down. there have been times, when he was up against a deadline that I would tell him..."Dave it's only ONE GODDAMN PANEL!!! No one is gonna know it's not your favorite panel in the world." and he would always say "I would know..." and go back to trying to make the damn thing work. Romita wants every line to be perfect, too. sigh...It's not a matter of putting down a thousand lines so that one of them HAS to be in the right place... it is a matter of putting down the lines you want to say what you want. Some people say complex things... others say simple things. For the simple minded to tell the complex minded that their work is too complex is arrogant at best and insulting at the outside. Some people put more into a drawing than others. Michealangelo and Picasso were two different kinds of artist. One's art was valid for him... the others's art was wildly different, but a valid statement for HIM. Both were artists within their own right and style. Complex is not a criticism... neither is simplistic... they are just two designations of different styles.
Dave's work was always complex and beautifully illstrative. I think he may have some other pencil work in the gallery... I forget what all he has in there... but he has some lovely pencil studies of ladies... that are framed and hung in our home...exquisite pencil drawings... and yeah... thousands of lines.. but they each say something and add to the richness of the drawing... they aren't just thrown in willy nilly. LOL... I have been known to put down too many lines, hoping one of them is in the right place... not Dave! LOL Dave is sure and decisive with his work...or no one but him will see it.
Of course, this doesn't mean he won't go back later and say..."Oh, gawd! What was I thinking? that figure doesn't work at all!" Usually when there is absolutely nothing wrong with the figure... it just isn't what his mind sees now! too late, Dave... the editor already has the pages! LOLOL
Get the hell ON with it!

What page do you have from 98, Brian? That"s a pretty early issue. West coast, huh? Doubtful he will make it out there...LOL...dave's health prohibits extensive travel ...especially right now. We might make it down to Dragon Con in Atalnta... which is only two hours away by car...but only for one day and only as con goers... not as guests. That is a fantasy oriented con and we ove both fantasy and comic conventions. they are good for Dave... he gets to talk tohis fans tell wild tales of the old days at Marvel and have fun exploring the points of view and mindsets of the younger fans. Dave likes to "schmooze" with people... exchange ideas and anecdotes. At charolette, in June, He had people lined up round the block to meet himand get an autograph...LOL... and he probablly talked to every one of them. Dave has never charged for an autograph ...especially kids! LOL...One time an adult brought every one of his books that had Dave's work in it to a con and wanted Dave to sign them all! Dave said it wouldn't be fair to the kids waiting in line... and when all those waiting had had their books signed, the guy offered to buy a half hour of Dave's time... which he would ordinarily use to do drawings... and have him sign the books. which Dave acceeded to, haveing a lull in the autograph action. The guy got his books signed and went off happy as a little lark! Usually he limits the amount of books he willsign for any one person...especially if there are other fans waiting to have something signed. If there aren't other fans liked up, I have seen him sit there and sign every book a fan brings in. this one fan did have a whole box of them on a handcart, one time, though! LOL

San Fran, huh? won't say absolutely not... but ... highly unlikely. If he does get west for a con, we will be sure to let everyone here know so those who live in the area can stop in and say "HI!" if they so desire. Your only other option would be to entrust it to someone like Fex EX... ship it here and have Dave sign it and ship it back... but that takes a risk of loss. We use Fed Ex all the time and have never lost a thing...but I do remember when we were in NY...A Fex Ex cargo plane caught fire on the Runway at Stewart... and they did lose some of the cargo... so ya never know... nothing in life is ever foolproof. there's too many fools out there...LOL...

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
mt_rambler
Lubber
Lubber

Post by mt_rambler »

Paty,
I understand how difficult traving to the west coast would be with dave's condition. But I had to ask, I may make it back east to a con sometime. As for the Uncanny X-Men #98 page, here is a scan of it:

I prefer to have it signed in person and with what Dave's art is going for from his first run on the X-Men, I wouldn't trust shipping it. As my e-mail address indicates I am a big Jean grey fan, so this page is special. Would love to find the art to the next page with Stan and Jack commenting "They (Jean and Scott) never did that when we were on the book".

Be seeing you,
Brian
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

LOLOL
OK, brian... sheldon Drumm has us down as regulars for his Charolette con next year. and we are on tap for the Atlanta con next spring. dave missed that one by a week!!! but they have us at the head of the list for next year, I believe ! LOL
I know the page you are talking about! LOL... injokes like that were a whole lot of fun for Dave and Chris. Dave even put us all in one page down in washington Square...the issue where Phoenix and firelord mix it up and she blasts him into the Monument in the Square! LOL... this is a cool page, though...it comes right after the page where Doctor doom is shown skating on the Rockerfeller Center ice rink, doesn't it?
sheesh! Those were fun days!

If by any chance you make it east and are inthe Anderson, SC area, by all means, drop in!!!

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

LOL... BB what you said on the technical side went right in one eye, over the brick wall and out the other...LOLOL but I got the drift.

I was talking with someone the other day and they said that to keep people from downnloading an image, it has to be put in with some sort of screen...I am not sure if he meant a velox type of screen or not. But he said that when downloaded all that would print would be a white page... so it has to be some sort of photographic thing...

Moot point... doesn't matter... let 'em copy it... I don't care. the internet is sorta like taking a walk along a busy highway.. if someone wants to aim their vehicle at you and kill you, they probablly can do that. You puts things on the net and takes your chances... you walk down the road of the internet and stay ready to jump at the sound of another machine...

Craziness...takes the jun outta things... but that is probably the little creepoids intent...
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

I'm afraid the best you can do for the net is, if you don't want people snagging them, make them low enough resolution that they can't do anything useful with them. my homepage has right click disabled, hotlinking protection, and images that open in a new window with no address bar that close when you click on the image. at one point, i went as far as breaking my images into two or more parts so that if they could save part of it they would only get a portion of the image. but this proved to be too labor intensive long term. i am a LAZY web mistress :p but it is still entirely possible for people to snag my images if they really want to. my measures are more to make it hard, and to make it known that i don't partiularly like it. so i just make them large enough to appreciate on the net, but too small to be printed out.

if you are only concerned with other sites posting them, when you want them to be 'exclusive' to one site only, i am afraid the only real solution is to add a watermark that is added in such a way that it makes it difficult to edit out, with the 'exclusive' site's address.... if you want this done, Paty, i can add watermarks to make them exclusive to NS. but as Bunny said, we have to make this site appealing to non members as well as regular members, and restricting access wouldn't do much, anyway.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Yeah, Jill... don't bother... the images have been here so long that it is probably a moot point. they are already out there...I am sure... if someone wants them. I probably won't do anything with them anyway... some of them date back to when I worked at Marvel and had them on my wall there...LOL... Ralph Macchio came into my office one day, looked at the new drawing hanging on my wall and said"I know what her name is." I said..."I bet you DO..." It was obvious. "Rainbow" sez Ralph... with a self satisfied grin. "what gave it away?" I said. Ralph was never sure when I was being sarcastic...he went into a discription of the damn rainbow colored costume...sigh...sometimes I wondered about Rabbit Ralph... but he's the only one...except for Chris Claremont that is still there from our era...at least according to Jazzy Johnny.

don't worry about it, Jill... LOL...it is of no importance... hackers will hack and we either hide in a closet or go out bold as brass. I am not a hiding kind of person...in case you hadn't guessed by now...LOLOL

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020