Kittty's Fairy Tale

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
mt_rambler
Lubber
Lubber

Kittty's Fairy Tale

Post by mt_rambler »

Dave,
One of my all time favorite stories is "Kitty's Fairy Tale" from Uncanny X-Men #153 which you and Chris did. Where Kitty tells Illyana a story which included the X-Men in a slightly different light. Kurt as Bamf, Pirate Kitty and her side kick Collosus, The Wizard (Professor Xavier), the Storm Genie (Ororo), The Fiend With No Name (Wolverine) and of course the cursed Prince and Princess (Cyclops and Jean). Fiend and Bamf were two of my favorites, plus I love that Jean was included even though she(Phoenix) was recently killed off.
I was wondering how much input you had into the story, did you just design the alternate story versions of the X-Men or did you have any plot input. I would love to see you and Chris bring this back as a one-shot. See what Fiend with no name, Pirate Kitty and Bamf are up to now.

Be seeing you,
Brian
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Kittty's Fairy Tale

Post by Dark Bamf »

I suggested the fairy tale, and co-plotted with Chris. I had just re-read my old T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents collection, which included a story called 'Weed's Fairy Tale', wherein the character Weed told his neice and nephew a fairy tale featuring the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. characters. It got me thinking, and I suggesed to Chris that we should try a fairy tale. Originally, we wanted to do a double-sized issue, or a two-part story, but editorial wouldn't let us. They said there wasn't enough time to advertise a double-sized issue, and they didn't think the storyline warranted two issues.

I did use the characters again, y'know, in issues #3 and 4 of my Nightcrawler miniseries.

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
mt_rambler
Lubber
Lubber

Kittty's Fairy Tale

Post by mt_rambler »

Yup, loved the Bamf in the Nightcrawler series, they were in issue two for a page or two as well. Did you do any character studies for the story? (just want to know if I should keep an eye out for any more artwork). Art for Kitty's Fairy Tale is some of the hardest art to find, I have only seen one page from that story. I am glad you convinced Chris to write the story, too bad it wasn't a double-size issue. Great stuff.

Be seeing you,
Brian
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Kittty's Fairy Tale

Post by Entropy »

It think it's probably one of the most memorable issues, and a definite fav. of mine. It was awesome to see some some of the characters again in Kurt's limited series.
Dave, your creations brought joy to my life and inspired my imagination. R.I.P.

Insanity is all in the mind...
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Kittty's Fairy Tale

Post by Dark Bamf »

I wanted to do a second miniseries, but I could never come up with a storyline that appealed to me.

MT Rambler, there weren't any character sketches for Kitty's fairy tale. I did an original Bamf sketch sometime before the Fairy Tale, which I hung up on a wall at Marvel as a gag. He (the Bamf) wound up taking on a life of his own.

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
mt_rambler
Lubber
Lubber

Kittty's Fairy Tale

Post by mt_rambler »

There are some other fans of Kitty's fairy tale as well. Artist Steve Buccellato contributed a nice homage and I was lucky enough to win in in the recent Heriatge Auction.

I was outbid on a few other pieces in the auction from the Tribute book, but I am still thrilled to own this.

Be seeing you,
Brian