The Unseen Art of Dave Cockrum

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BH123 »

I was curious if anyone here has ever come across a book/pamphlet entitled "The Unseen Art of Dave Cockrum." I happened upon it about a month or so ago at St. Marks Comics in Manhattan. It was quite a surprise, since I don't recall having heard of it before. It turns out it was published in 1993. It's sort of a portfolio of unused character designs by Dave Cockrum.
TelegramSam
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by TelegramSam »

I haven't seen it before, but I wouldn't mind a look. :p
I am Dyslexic of Borg. Your ass will be laminated.
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

Gee, I've seen it...:LOL

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BH123 »

Originally posted by Dark Bamf
Gee, I've seen it...:LOL
Ah, yeah, that kinda goes without saying :P

If it is okay with you, Dave, and if the image gallery is working, I could always scan and post a couple of pieces from it, for the benefit of Telegram Sam and others.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Post by Paty »

:mags
Bad news time, guys and gals...
dave's computer finally defuncted! LOL... morte... adios MF! The MAC bites the big apple in the sky!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA..
Dave is offline cuz he ain't touchin Magnus! We are trying to convince him that PC is the way to go... but you know old dogs and tricks!
LOL...
However, being the wonderful person I am...heh heh... I asked him about this...
Ben, he says go ahead and pst the art if the gallery is up and running. He has some copies of that left... although we don't know where they are, if they survived the move or not and if they survived the flood in the barn... in which we lost books, tapes and such beyond measure cuz we haven['t opened all the boxes yet...sigh...
BUT if any survived and IF he finds them he says he will offer a copy for sale to anyone who wants one...but you will have to wait until he gets back on line and finds them ... and ... and... it's crazy here right now with the studio up to it's rafetes in unopened boxes! Ha! I transported them up there with heft, a tractor and cart and a lot of sweat... now he gets to unpack them! I just got a gift horse and will be no help at all! I gotta do horsie stuff!
LOL
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Gaz »

Originally posted by BH123
I could always scan and post a couple of pieces from it, for the benefit of Telegram Sam and others.
But.... if you post the Unseen Art of Dave Cockrum and we see it, then they will be the Seen Art of Dave Cockrum, and the mystery will be revealed, and there will be no suspense, and the earth will explode, and all the computers will break, and the planes will crash, and we will all have seen the forbidden art, ...and....AND....:die
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

OK... someone whap this kid upside the head with a two by four...
please?
LOL
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
mt_rambler
Lubber
Lubber

Post by mt_rambler »

Paty,
Please pass along to Dave I say he should stick to his guns stay with the mac. There is nothing wrong with macs, most artists are mac users as well. (If Dave is in need of Mac Tech support, just drop me an e-mail. I would be glad to give him assistance he needs.)

Be seeing you,
Brian (OS X Test Engineer at Apple)
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

Actually, I agree with Brain. If Dave is used to a Mac, and they are good for artist, he should stick to one. (besides, they are cute)

And....*walks up to Gaz and thwaps her with a 2 x 4* There you go, Paty. ;)
http://lady_erin.livejournal.com
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Want to IM me? U2U me for the screenname.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Ha! andother MAc person! dave will not feel so alone! My friend Cat, who keeps my PC on the straight and narrow said his motheroard fried. It was an old IMAC that his son gave him about six or seven years ago... and gods only know how long ivan had it ! Dave has put a lot of hours on it ... and it sorta survived the transition from NY to here.. but it does not surprise me that it finally died!
I shall pass the message to him. He will be jubilant that someone is on his side about the MAC..LOL
thanks... I guess... for speaking up! since he obviously cannot get online except with Magnus... which I am loathe to have him touch...I shall have to get back to you...he was thinking of ordering a new MAC via online... but he doesn't know what he needs or what he should get... could you help him with that? I have no objection to his getting a MAC...if it willkeep him happy... it is just that they are hard to find around here...could you point us in the direction of a local mac dealership? or something like that? MACs are such rare animals around here the local shops don't even carry them!

LOL
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

LOLOL... thanks Erin... I need all the help I can get these days!
Dave saw that post and howled...I whapped him upside the head... can't have these whippersnappers running amok...gotta whip them into line...Dave...stop that snickering!!!
Sheesh!
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BH123 »

Originally posted by Gaz

But.... if you post the Unseen Art of Dave Cockrum and we see it, then they will be the Seen Art of Dave Cockrum, and the mystery will be revealed, and there will be no suspense, and the earth will explode, and all the computers will break, and the planes will crash, and we will all have seen the forbidden art, ...and....AND....:die
Okaaaaaaay :rolleyes

Well, I guess you don't need to worry about all of that happening, since I checked, and the Gallery is down. So the Unseen Art will remain unseen for the time being. Guess I could scan and upload it to my website, then post a URL, though.

By the way, regarding the Mac vs PC bit, just use whatever works best for you. Gawd, next thing you know, people will be getting into fistfighs over Claremont Magneto vs Morrison Magneto... oh, wait, that already happened :D
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Yeah... and it's silly... there is NO Morrison Magneto... the dud was an imposterk! which was patently obvious to those of us who KNOW him! and no that "dud' WASN'T A TYPO... THAT CREEPOID WASN'T A dude! HE WAS A DUD!
bwahahahahahahahahahahahaaa!
I look at MACs as the BetaMax of computers. those that love them will have no other! Like Dave ... because his first one was a MAC ... given to him by his son,Ivan... and he loves his little speudo hairdryer! Well... c'mon... that's what they looked like!
Personally, I have a Compaq and I love it, too... it's name is Magnus... what else? Evey once in a while he blows his magnetic brains out... but that's de rigeur with Mags... LOL... so what's new?
Dave will get what he wants... we hav several of the helpful folk at Nightscrawlers who have offered help in that regard. Thanks to you all!
Huggies
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Tatu »

Paty, (since I have a Mac) i ordered mine through The Apple Store ( http://www.apple.com/store/ ) Apple dont let many companies sell their products, so it's best to buy directly from them.

But, if dave needs help he can call the store at 1-800-MY-APPLE and they'll help him with everything he could need and answer all his questions. Dave is actually lucky, they *just* released the new iMacs and they're *really* nice.
Call me King!
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

OOOOooooOOO... nice avatar, tatu...LOL yummy...
Yeah, Dave is considering his options... and exploring MAC possibilities with the help of some of the lovely folk here... but thanx for that link...I shall ask him if he wants me to call it up so he can peruse it. A couple of people we are in contact with actually work for Appel... so we shall see what we can do about getting him back online.
Fortunately he had a lot of his stuff backed up on discs... so reprogramming a new one will probably not be difficult... just getting it...LOL
thanks for the input, sugar...
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Tatu »

Originally posted by Paty
OOOOooooOOO... nice avatar, tatu...LOL yummy...

hehehehe... Thanks.. its Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day and you're actually not the first person to have said that :LOL
thanks for the input, sugar...
Paty

Sometimes, not often, I am helpful! :toothy
Call me King!
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA !!!

You are always helpful, darlin'! Most of the folk here at Nightscrawlers take pity on us old folk and are wonderfully helpful.

Which reminds me... I cannot seem to get the U2U to work...now this may be a thing with the firewall I had to put in... but I had been able to access the U2U after ICat put it in for me... so this is new. I shall have Cat look it over when she comes over next time... but until then...
Can someone pass on to Bamf Bunny that Cat says you guys need to check the site for a secreted or attached downloader... since I am still getting about thirty or so viruses a night through thisd site. My firewall and virus protection takes care of them... but it is annoying to know this is still an open link... and Cat says it is probably because someone came in and attached a downloader that continually feeds shit through... so BB needs to scan the site for a downloader and ask the server to scan for a downloader... as all the shit is coming right through this link.

I would have U2Ud Banf Bunny who was doing programming and such on the site, but I couldn't get the U5U to work and this is the most active thread I am subbed to right now... so if any of you can get a hold of her, let her know, OK?
thanx...
Summer wanes into fall and Dave is getting listless without his MAC... soon, Dave... soon...LOL
And thanks again to all who proffered advice and sites to check out!
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Tatu »

I am helpful.. again! I AM ON A ROLL!

u2u's are down, Jill ('fette) mention it in the tech support forums here viewthread.php?tid=4471 and here viewthread.php?tid=4550

Bunny's a friend so, If i dont forget I'll redirect him (yeah, hes a guy by the way :p ) to this and he can see whats up.
Call me King!
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Thanks, darlin'... you have even once again been helpful... a ROLL, indeed!
LOL
and here I thought it was my computer. this new system is supposed to be more secure...and it isn't... supposed to be better? nope, there, too... No gallery.. spotty U2Us..
sheesh!
thanks for the info,dear... and thanx for passing on the message... a guy, huh? who'da thunk it? LOL he felt girlish to me...but I guess bunnies come in both sexes
Huggies
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020