I found the get well card I sent Dave!

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
PirateKurt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by PirateKurt »

I found this computer file... it's the get well card I made for Dave! Hmmm I can't seem to get the thing to attatch:( :surprise
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BH123 »

Maybe you can post a picture of it in the Fan Art gallery?
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Post by Paty »

:mags
Heh heh... the best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley, kiddo...LOL
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Isn't Dave's birthday... today, November 11th ??

Happy birthday to our beloved Dave, and to a certain fuzzy elf whose name I can't remember...;)
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Yep... Today was his birthdaay... it was a quiet one... rainy and cold here so we didn't go anywhere, just schmoozed around the house and had a good dinner. Next week, when the weather is better, we will go oout and celebrate his birthday for real..LOL

Other than that, he is doing well and hopes to be back on like soon. He misses you guys! We found a store near here that sells MACx so we are gonna go check it out reallll soon... and the new computer of his dreams will be his major birthday present! LOL
Mostly when you get to our age, you would rather not be reminded of birthdays...LOL

Physically, he is doing well. He actually walked around the property yesterday when the sun was shining and the breezes were wafting...cooly, to be sure... but the sun was warm and he felt like walking... so he got out of the wheelchair and actually walked fromone building to the other and then to the other. He was trying to fin me and thought I was in the barn, but I wasn't so he walked up to the studio, where I had hauled a load of books and art supplies! LOL... But it was a lot of walking for him and tired him out. But he was very happy to be able to do it!

so you might say that today was a day of rest and relaxation from yesterday, as well as a day to do what he wanted... laze in front of the TV and veg...LOL... what better way to spend your birthday? Especially at our age!!!

LOL
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

TV I don't really watch anymore... except for some really cool shows like 24 or Alias.
But I can understand the joy : doing nothing all day long. Hummmm, I'm suddenly feeling SO lazy... :Z

I wish you and Dave all the best.
www.atlantys.biz

Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Oh, Dave likes to watch old B grade movies...horrible things... like : It, the thing from beyond Space...or the Crawling Eye... or other more wretched endeavors. PTUI

There are a couple, The creature from the Black Lagoon...his all time fave... and the Beast from 20,000 fathoms...which are quite good, actually. But a vast majority of these early SF flicks are pure drek... at least to me. He has a few buddies who slaver over these horrible pices of cinematic abberration ...just as he does. hmmm... tasste all in their mouths..LOL

And he loves The West Wing... having had an avid interest in politics when he was a youngster... peaking with the rise of Kennedy and dying with him, I think. But he likes this show and watches not only current episodes, but back episodes in re run as well. He is also fond of Law and Order. so there is no dearth of things for him to watch... Law and Order being the most pervasive series I have ever seen...LOL

I, on the other hand tend to take in Discovery channel documentaries, Forensic shows such as Forensic Academy, CSI, and Dr. G. As well as stuff like Interpol investigates and EMT and Cop reality ressponse shows...old habits die hard for this ex firefighter...LOLOL
Right now,Great White Shark is on in the background as I type this. Natl Geo channel.

Good stuff... especially the documentaries on ancient Egypt, the Pyramids and mummies which have fascinated me since childhood. Also anything on the Titanic...

So there you have it... what we watch in our free time...
LOL
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

"old grade B movies"... I like that, too ! :)
Very difficult to follow Law and Order and the West Wing here in France. I know the shows but never watched an episode.

And it's true Egypt is fascinating. Marvel always missed something with the Apocalypse character, who's from Ancient Egypt. They could have built an intringuing villain, and send the X-men back in time, ala FF. :)
www.atlantys.biz

Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

DC has a series we follow... Hawkman... whose main character has ties to Horus, the hawk god of ancient Egypt. both Dave and I are heavily into Egyptology. given my druthers when I was a kid, I would have gone into archaeology ...LOL... dave, would,I believe, have gone hunting dinosaurs...LOL

Part of the shitload of boxes we have to move were fifteen boxes of video tapes...some with three movies to a tape... of seventy five tapes per box...mostly of old SF and fantsy/horror B grade movies that Dave taped off the television...sigh... This didn't count the commercial tapes we owned in our film library...just the old stuff. The commercial tapes were usually in packaging that needed to go into other sized boxes....LOL these, needless to say, haven't ben breached yet. All in good time my pretty...

I dunno... I can't stand the bad acting... but even if I could stomach that, there are the totally unbelievable special effects which are usually ludicrous. Totally warps any chance of suspending disbelief! Nah... it better look real or I won't buy it... and most of this schlock didn't look anything near real. The one SF movie I do remember getting the creeps from was Red Planet Mars... or Invaders from Mars... I forget the title. The main Martian was this squid-y thing with tentacle arms and a big head in a glass bubble that was carried around by big lumbering guys in rubber suits... which I thought were silly... but the restof the movie was chilling and very believable. Creepy, too... LOL

I demand believab special effects... and , mostly, these movies DON'T have them. At least, not to my standards. And I am not basing them on my standards of today... I thought they were stupid back then! I was willing to suspend disbelief for good special effects... like Blackie Lagoon and the Beast form 20 Thou.... but The Crawling Eye??? I DON'T think so... LOL...nope... uh uh...zero tolerance. Of course, Dave loves the Marx brothers, too... so go figure...ugh!

Dave and my tastes run in many similar veins... but old B grade SF flicks arenn't one of them. Especially some of the ones made in the fifties and sixties. Some of the earlier fantasy stuff was pretty good. Veronica Lake, in I Married a Witch...from the forties, I believe... and Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid were very good. Early Dracula pix and mummy pix were pretty good...but they didn't relly on cheezy special effects in the SF genre to tittilate. I think it was the cheezy special effects whose wires you could see holding up the space ships... or whose seams you could see the actor's polka dotted boxers under that turned me off so thoroughly. Of course there were the three minute long screams of the women that were totally stupid. REally!!! ..instead of running, or fighting back.. the stupid broad would stand there, take a big breath and SCREAM... while still standing there... totally unbelievable!!! I am sorry... if you are that scared, you aren't gonna waste good running time posing and screaming for effect. nope... sorry. And actors saying "gosh, darn it!" when even then I knew that adults didn't say things like that when surprised, stymied or mad! gimme a fershlugginer break! I grew up around horsemen and farm people...LOL... and learned to cuss at an early age, to the horror of my grandmother and mother ... who were trying to make a silk purse outta a sow's ear here. Or a debutante out of a dyed in the wool tomboy! it didn't wash. women going into known danger with high heels on just did not even begin to smack of reality or even mental competance... and I knew women were capable of mental competance even if the movies said differently. I think my biggest gripe with some of these movies is that they have the women acting like helpless, brainless bimboes. Just like a lot of the comics did and still do. Yeah , once in a while you had a savvy female in there... who WOULDN'T twist her ankle when running away or fighting...and, thus, make of herself a victim needing to be rescued by the big, stalwart male...PTUI! Nope...by and large, victim city...and brainless to boot... and whiney to boot... and godawful helpless! Ugh... and this is what WE were supposed to be? EXCUSE ME???!!! Yeah... in the fifties, that is exactly how women were supposed to act. and I hated that, too... didn't play that game. I wouldn't let boys win... they had to beat me fair and square... and mostly, they couldn't. after all... I pushed horses around, hefted bales of hay and threw hundred pound grain sacks around. I bench pressed over two hundred pounds at the time. I had six foot three bikers from hell saying "yes, ma'm" at me. so the helpless idiotwomen of the fifties and sixties B grade movies cut no ice with me...and in so doing, made the rest of the movie unbelievable as well.

The suspension of disbelief, as any comic writer knows, is a fragile thing. The more close to real you can make a story, the less the reader has to strain to suspend their disbelief and accept YOUR reality as THEIRS. A movie is visually closer to real life. A comic book or, indeed, any literary property, is in and of itself a collaborative effort between the creators and the reader. You cannot just sit and be part of it in a darkened theatre where reality is on the screen. Your participation in books of any kind is necessary. You have to read, understand, and translate the written work, as well as art, to your own reality...and ACCEPT it as a temmporal reality. And you do this with a conscious effort as you hold the book in your hand and try to do something else while reading. .. like stir the pot of spaghetti sauce or take a dump. It is a harder stretch , with the world still all around you to distract you from the reality in your hand to suspend disbelief and dive headfirsst into that paper reality. Even if it is a reality you choose to enter in spite of distractions to the contrary. Perhaps this is why people are sooooo fanatic about their characters... their lives... their realities. the reader has to make a conscious effort to enter this realm every month... week, day...in spite of other real things in their lives... in spite of other distractions. So this realm becomes VERY important to them. It is a personal choice to get emotionally involved with something not wholly real... and that is fraught with heavy emotional baggage. Wantonly destroy a character and you risk the wrath of thousands of emotional fans who have followed the adventures and trials of a character for decades... it is like killing a member of the family! And the hue and cry can be very destructive... cuz there is no love like the one you CHOOSE! I don't think these little boys understand this... or they would be more careful with what they do and how they do it. They seek only thrills...like serial killers...and don't think of the emotional fallout of readers that have followed a character for longer than they, the writer, have been alive. That character, imaginary as he or she might be, if far more real to the readers than the writer is. These little self important gods don't wanna hear this or acceed to it. they will have to learn the hard way I guess. they think they can yank our chains and we will dance to their tune...and it ain't so. and once you've lost the readers ..it is almost impossible to get them back. a habit...like visiting the comic shop every week...once broken is easy to forget in the crush of modern living.

And it all goes back to suspension of disbelief and it's lure for the imagination.

B grade fifties and sixties flicks don't do it for me... comics CAN if I allow it... and with some good storytellers, I allow it... and with some very bad storytellers..I DON'T!!! And, tothe disgust of some, I am not bashful about saying so, either... but then, when I was sixteen I made bikers from hell say "yes, ma'am"...

LOL
paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Well Paty, I wouldn't want to be irreverent in front of you now ! LOL

Old sci-fi movies are really enjoyable you know, just because of the bad acting, the unreal special effects and all the women screaming ! LOL Joy, oh Joy !
And I'm kinda like Dave : since I moved on with Emma -my wonderful girlfriend- there are a lot of tapes that are still in closed boxes. And she'd really, really want to burn them all !! :D

As for Hawkman, it's really difficult for me to be interested in DC characters. In France, a lot of Marvel Comics are published. But there are only five or six DC titles... in three magazines. There was a time when there weren't any ! When I started reading comic-books in 1989, all we could find were the X-series (Excalibur, Uncanny, New Mutants,...) and the classic ones (Hulk, Avengers, Iron-Man, The Spidey series) and that's all.
I find the DC universe intriguing but the Marvel U is really part of my childhood. The DC series I like best are disconnected -like Sandman, Fallen Angel, Y the Last man, Fables,... (oh, you should try Fables ! It's about fairy tales characters in our world. Just excellent !)
I admit that in the old DC U, I like the Green Arrow character -not Hawkman's best friend... ;)
www.atlantys.biz

DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DoomInABox »

I used to watch B-movies specifically FOR the fact that there was no way in a thousands hells I could ever accept it as reality. The same reason I still collect all the old sixties-eighties comics with the tights and heels and impossible muscles ... sometimes you just wanna be entertained by something that just cannot be real.
"Picture this: bumpity bumpity bumpity SPLAT!"
-- Nightcrawler, X-Men Evolution

Visit my art sites, please!
http://www.kenthayle.deviantart.com
http://www.geocities.com/ironthorncomics