MANPHIBIAN --- Questions for Dave or Patty

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
KarnivoreX
Lubber
Lubber

Post by KarnivoreX »

Hello Dave, Patty, and everyone reading this,

I am a quiet fond of your MANPHIBIAN work for legion of monsters Dave. So much so that I have convinced an artist to collaborate with me on a submission to Marvel as a limited series. I am having a problem however finding images of the character to refer the artist to as reference. I was wondering if you knew if there was any place on line where i could find any. I'm trying to track down a copy of the legion of monsters magazine with the story in it ---but no luck so far.

A second question, where were you, Mr. Wolfman, & Mr. Isabella planning on going with the character? Specifically
--- what is in shaft 27?? Why is the other member of the manphibian's race walking the earth a thousand years later?? Any insight would be helpful as I could make creative guesses, but they would be just that, and I like to make it a point of respect the work of those who came before me.

A finally, and most most importantly, I am most pleased to hear that you are doing well. You have created quite a few of my favorite --- and some obscure ---characters. I look forward to seeing more work from you.

Best Wishes,
Philip

P.S. Anyone reading this whos now interested in writing a manphibian story ---- you did not see this --- you were not here ------- sleep. hopefully the hypnotism will take.
:D
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

Gee, Philip, it's been a looong time. I don't remember most of what you're asking. My main reason for doing Manphibian--as with Devilfish over in the Legion of Superheroes--was my long, abiding love for the Creature From the Black Lagoon, and the fact that we couldn't get a license to do a Creature strip. I do remember directions I would've taken with a Creature series, but I'm not sure that Marv and i particularly worked out a direction for Manphaiobian. As for the shaft, I don''t know what's in there. And I don't get your reference to a Manphibian walking the earth 1000 years later.

Sorry not to be of much help. As for images of Manphibian, I do have a copy of Legion of Monsters somewhere, but we still have several hundred unpacked boxes from the move, so god knows where it is. I don't know of anny online, but maybe you could check on eBay.

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
JGM Comics
Lubber
Lubber

Post by JGM Comics »

KarnivoreX
Lubber
Lubber

Post by KarnivoreX »

Dave,

Thanks for the info. I've been looking for a copy of the mag. It's been hard to find in the us. As far as ebay, I know its occassionally listed (sometimes incorrectly). Any additional help you could provide would be appreciated--- I am including a link to a inked rough sketch of the character based on what little reference the penciler/inker were able to find---any corrections/thoughts would be appreciated---though I definitely understand how hectic moving/unpacking can be.
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Gro ... ianInk.jpg

Thanks,
Philip
KarnivoreX
Lubber
Lubber

Post by KarnivoreX »

JG Comics,

Thanks for the link. I had previously found that website reference. In fact thats where most of my original questions orginated from. That does seem to be the only two pics of the manphibian on the web doesnt it???

Thanks for your help,
Philip
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

Re the sketch--as I recall Manphibian, he had a less bulky back and a more definitely defined head.

BTW, many years later I designed a slightly different Manphibian for a resin model kit produced by Actian hobbies of Louisville, KY. The final result was interesting, though much smal;ler than I had hoped for.

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
KarnivoreX
Lubber
Lubber

Post by KarnivoreX »

Thanks Dave,