Something for Paty

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Something for Paty

Post by Paty »

:mags
LOL... yep... it's the first link, as BD says... he beat me to a reply! LOL
Looks like a really nice set, too. I wonder if it is available in the stores or comics shops...
I will have to ask my local comics store dealer... he may have it... Planet comics is a very large and well stocked shop! It's where I got my Magneto helmet!!! LOL ... the one I use when in full super villain mode!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Something for Paty

Post by Entropy »

Paty,
did you do the color art for the N.C mini Dave did?
If so did you do all four, and do you still have them?
If you do have them there are a few i'd be interested in buying.
Dave, your creations brought joy to my life and inspired my imagination. R.I.P.

Insanity is all in the mind...
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Something for Paty

Post by Paty »

Yes, I did the coloring on all four. the first one was heavily edited for no reason except shooter wanted to harrass me... and ann Nocenti just batted her big eyes and said that she couldn't do anything... could I please change this and that and this and that cuz shooter wanted it and shooter never bothered himself with coloring in the books, so I knew what was happening right away. So I changed what she wanted, but i learned my lesson. afer that, i merely waited until the very last day it had to go to the separators to turn it in and it went out un tinkered with. there were ways to get around Shithead if you thought hard enough and had the chutzpa to do it... and i was made of chutzpa when it came to Marvel...LOL...Jo Duffy became a master at evading, and flummixxing him to get done what she wanted to get done. Of course, when it was succerssful, he was quick to take credit for things he would have blocked if he had known in time to stop them or block them. But that's how Marvel was...especially for women who wouldn't bow, kowtow or kiss ass...or other tender body parts...if you take my meaning. It isn't any better today if what i hear is true... it is worse... sigh...
Shooter had a bug up his ass about me, cuz while I worked for sol Brodsky, he couldn't touch me...hiring wise. He did try to get me called on the carpet once and I went up with Sol... who was no help whatsoever... and banged my fist on Galton's desk until he realized I had points that hadnn't even been addressed and allwas not what shooter had painted. he didn't want to rock the boat with shooter but he couldn't refute my accusations, either...so he just backed off the whole mess. I yelled at sol for wasting my time with that 'idiot" loud enough for Galton to hear right outside his door. I really was backed up with an overload of work that sol had dumped on me and I had expected him to run blocker for me in the ridiculous mess... but he didn't... talk about an ol' boys club .. so I had to get in Galton's face and was royally pissed off cuz i just didn't have time for this bullshit and said so. galton knew it... sol knew it... and shooter never tried that kind of crap again, so I guess Galton had a word with him and told him never to sic that hellion on him again. I was too valuable to Sol to fire and it took them four months to replace me with someone who did half the work...when I finallyleft...in a classic 82 Huff. sol died a year and a half later and everyone at marvel asked me what kind of spell I put on him... cuz they knew I left mad as a hornet...and being Marvel's resident witch, welll... you know....

The Nightcrawler miniseries was done during sparta's switchover to plastic plates from metal ones. The print run was, I believe around two hundred thousand. or so... imagine that! creators would KILL for that kind of run today... so what is wrong here? However, what the printers didn't know, was that after about forty or fifty thou, the plates broke down... colors broke up, fine lines boogeyed... we had long exasperated screams about boogey lines with these new plates. heretofore, the plates had been metal and could easily print a couple hundred thousand before breaking down and having to be replaced... which usually didn't happen unless you had a spectactular run... like the eight million copies of X Men 1...that had five covers and completists had to have every single one of them! LOL...
But the plates for the nightcrawler mini series were plastic... so if you got a book that had the color full, and good and complete, you got one from the beginning of a run. If the color broke up or had splotches or was missing, don't blame me... the plates were being used far beyond their capacity. LOL... Colorist always gets blamed...never the separator or the printer. Oh, yeah... the books were hand separated too which is a very involved process which I will not bore you with because in the age of computer seps, it is an anachronistic process anywaay...
In any event, I have no idea whether I got those back or not. I have a lot of coloring pages that i did get back, but I would have to find them and look... which I will try to do as Ido have to get into some of my boxes to look for something else... so I will keep an eye out for these.
since they were color for indication, they will be done on xerox paper with color breakdowns scribbled in all over the place, you realize. These were not color for reproduction, where the color is pristine and is what you see on the printed page, having been laser scanned to make the four color film from which the plates are shot. I did color for repro on Dave's Punisher graphic novel...but I don't know if i go those back at all. I did get back a number of color pages that i did, but not a lot from Marvel. I do have the roiginal color for repro done for the first Futurians graphic Novel as well as the color for indication of the first followup issues and the color for repro of the third and possibly the forth...which got bound into a second graphic novel by Eclipse, I think it was.

As I said, I shall keep a look out for those, but guarantee nothing. Marvel rarely gave me my stuff back. Heh... I did get the pages to the Spidey story I did and have all but two of them, having given one to a friend because I put her and her husband on it... and one I donated to a charity auction raising money for a financially strapped sr artist...not us, at that time, at least. I never got back the pages I pencilled and Bill Everett inked of the Claws of the Cat...number four, I think...LOL...but I do have most if not all the pages from a what if that I did, too... eight pages, I believe in that vignette.
the problem is that some of the stuff i got back is in one place and some may be in others, not yet found or dreamed of...LOLOL...There are still sooooo many boxes to open and sort and make sense of...sigh...

But I will let you know if I find them, OK?
Thanks for asking... there's not much of my stuff out there zipzapping around. recently one of my full color Magneto sketches turned up on Ebay...LOL... Yep, it was mind, but i couldn't remember for the life of me who I had done that one for. I inquired of the seller as to where he got it, but he never got back tome....hmmmm... I can pretty much tell from the shot on the board that it was one done before the eyes blew, but I did several for friends at that time, so it could be anyone's... but i wonder where this guy got it. there is one humongous piece ... about twenty two by thirty of mags... full color that I donated to the auction of a con because all the proceeds were going to help crippled kids and i knew the guys putting on the con and knew there would be no skimming of proceeds and that the kids would indeed get that money, so I donated it o the spot and everyone was blow away with it...nice piece if I do say so myself... but I have no idea who has it. Very few people out there, except friends and relatives ... have my art. there's not that much of it... especially now... oh well... mayb someday I will do it again...

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Something for Paty

Post by HoodedMan »

Man, those work problems sound like an average day with me and the business manager. Glad to hear I'm not the only one in the boat but sorry to hear about your problems, Paty. Hope it all works out.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Something for Paty

Post by Paty »

LOL... Oh, honey... it's not that horrible... there is just sooooo much crap to go through . work related problems at Marvel are long gone...although I feel for people who work there these days.
Marvel seems to be a ruddederless ship...swaying and yawling with every mouth flapping breeze from the internet. And you just cannot sail a smooth course like that.
while internet feedback can be interesting, they have to remember that people with agendas can and do flood the net with their point of view, sometimes forcing other points of view...equally valid...out...simplly because they have more time to waste online and no other life to live.

I don't worry about it too much. It will either work itself out or implode. I think that unless Marvel gets it's head adjusted, it will come to grief... but I cannot do anything about that except warn them of what I see happening. I did that twenty some odd years ago and the only one who listened was Romita...and in later years, he said I was right...took a decade or so for me to be right... but I had given them that timeframe..soooo...Oh well... Let me tell you, it really sucks when you see something happening...tell everybody so they can do something about it... they don't believe it and BLAMMO... it happens... and you just have to shake your head and shrug your shoulders... cuz some people have to learn the hard way.
wow!!!! lookit that... the tide is running way out and there are fish flapping on the sand and I gotta go get a closer look...gee what a big wall of water standing there...glub...

Even common sense sometimes doesn't tell you to ru when you should. and that may sound a bit callous... which I don't mean it to be... but I sometimes wonder at the mentality of people that let someoof the crap that we have seen lately come out of Marvel happen. It speaks storngly to me of bad editorial judgement from immature editors. what do they expect? they got rid of all the old pros who chold have taught the ethics of the biz and enforced them...Right now, we have a real Lord of the Flies mess there... and for those of us who still love Marvel and all it's bright promise, that is just a horrible situation which we can bemoan, but do little to fix

Not my problem... I bemoan it constantly, hoping someone in power there will take notice. .. and wake up. that's all I can do. Then I go back to unpacking my boxes and answering emails...LOL

A truely good way to spend the day for an old fogey like me...
digging around in unopened boxes here is tiring, but rewarding in the long run, as the boxes go away and you onc again have access to all the STUFF you have collected in a quarter of a century or better!!!

LOL
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Something for Paty

Post by Entropy »

Thanks for the info. It's always interesting hearing about the inner workings. Reason i asked was because i was looking at a copy of N.C. #1 that a friend let me borrow (mine being in TX with my parents) and noticed that the colorist was...Paty. I figured it would be cool to get a page of Dave's art with the color page by you.

I noticed the differences in color btn my friends copy and mine and figured that there had been some sort of printing problem with his copy. now i have the story behind it :)

Recently saw on e-bay a con sketch of magneto by you and dave. very cool.
the person who purchased it put it in their gallery...
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiec ... &GSub=2441
Dave, your creations brought joy to my life and inspired my imagination. R.I.P.

Insanity is all in the mind...
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Something for Paty

Post by Paty »

wow... thanks for the link. I haven't a clue as to which con that was...LOL did it say on the info blurb? I didn't do many con sketches... people mostly came to talk to dave and get sketches by him. I usually had color stuff that I would show and tell kids how the coloring was done. I had a big 3M of a cover that I would put out and it had the three colors and black plate on overlays... the yellow, red and blue with the black line overlaying it all. Most fans had no idea how the colors went together ... the screens meshing with each other to create the colors weused. by looking at the 3ms seeing the yellow first then laying the red acetate over it and seeing how the reds and yellows went together to form colors...then laying the blue acetate over that and seeing how the blue interacted with the other two colors and then laying the line art black plate over it all and seeing the cover as it was printed really made the whole coloring thing come into focus for them. they knew that yellow and red gave you either orange or gold, but had no idea that to get a spiderman or cap Amaeica red youhad to print a hundred percent red with a hundred percent yellow. the pure red ink is a cold red...like hot pink or fuscia. or cerise that allows it to be overlaid on blue for purples... so the warm red we think of as "red" is a combination of red and yellow in the printing world....or at least in the transparent printing ink world. when you have solid color... as in the printing done on the slurpee cups for seven eleven in seventy five and seventy seven... which you occasionally see on Ebay, you had specific silk screen opaque inks... and they could not be overlaid... so the coloring on those pieces of merchandise were limited. they had to be advised by us as to specific shades of red or blue or green or magenta.

But this is definately me and Dave... and I suspect that the person wanting it had me do mine first and leave space for dave to do his...LOL...

It is kinda cool to see some of the stuff you did way back when.

LOL
paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Something for Paty

Post by BH123 »

Originally posted by Paty
wow... thanks for the link. I haven't a clue as to which con that was...LOL did it say on the info blurb? I didn't do many con sketches... people mostly came to talk to dave and get sketches by him.
Hello, Paty. I'm the lucky guy who got the sketch from Doug Resnick who, according to him, got it from you and Dave at a convention in the mid-90s. He didn't say which convention, though. I'm glad I finally was able to get a Magneto drawing by you, since you do a superb rendition of the character.

And I also found the X-Men Evolution DVD that has the episode where Captain America and Wolverine rescue a young Magneto during WWII. Pretty cool.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Something for Paty

Post by Paty »

Yeah... Cap and wolvie make sense. They have been shown in canon to have worked together in WWII... and while it is problematical they would have been in at the liberation at Auschwitz... since it was liberated by the Russkies, if I am not mistaken... I, for one am willing to overlook this small glitch in real history. LOL...Makes more sense than having Xavier in the liberating party... which would make Xavier older than Mags... and that is wrong totally! I do wish Hollywood yahoos would read the canon and consult the people who were the most influencial in the history of the character if they are alive to consult. For Mags it would be Stan and Chris Claremont. And Chris should be definately included in the plotting and storyline continuity of a Magneto movie.

Glad you liked the sketch. If doug is based in NY, or NJ, he may have come in for a Big Apple con... we did a lot of those in the nineties. Dave would occasionally go off to other places by himself...cuz with all our animals, one of us had to stay home if the con lasted more than one day...or was too far for us to drive to it each day. NYC was a two hour drive... so we could be at a con there over a weekend....we just drove home in the evening and drove back the next day. so it might have been a big Apple con... or it could have been that one up by Albany where Dave and I had a wild sketching Marathon between us...LOL... that one was fun.
but, as I said, I didn't do much convention sketching, cuz I wasn't the famous one. I did get my share of books to sign for coloring credits, though...LOL
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Something for Paty

Post by Paty »

OOOOOoooo... y'know... it occurs to me that it might have been done at one of the Ramapo conventions.
there was this comic book club at a high school in Ramapo, NY. And every year in May, they would put on this convention. it was a one day affair in the school gym and they invited every pro in the industry, I think. the ones who came, year after year, came free of charge to support the kids club and it became an old fashioned "familyreunion" type of day for all the old pros. It wasn't fancy, but it was fun...usually with more pros than audience, although there were times when word got around and the place got mobbed. but there were only a couple dealers and everything was well contained in the HS gym. The club sprung for a breakfast buffet of sorts and a midday pizza fest to feed the staff and the pros.. and everyone had a wonderful day, schmoozing with friends they hadn't seen since.....well... last year's Ramapo con!
They did thirteen of those cons and then the teacher who was the sponsor of the comic club and who organized the con, retired and there were no more Ramapo cons, alas... cuz no one wanted to do that much work for just kids and comics. which was too bad...it was a fun day for everyone and the pros who came year after year looked forward to it. The club would have fifty to a hundred pros there. I have a tee shirt of the last one with the rundown of pros names and the list is a long one!!! LOL the envy of any con promoter in the world! It only cost you a couple of bucks to get in and yougot to hang out with your fave comic creator all day!!!
LOL
The days of innocence and fun...
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Something for Paty

Post by BH123 »

Originally posted by Paty
OOOOOoooo... y'know... it occurs to me that it might have been done at one of the Ramapo conventions.
Yes, I remember the Ramapo comic conventions. I found out about them during the very last year it was held, in 1999. Bad timing, huh? At least I got to go once. It was a fun show. Neil Vokes and Luke McDonnel did some cool sketches of Captain America for me.

Anyway, thanks for the info, Paty.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Something for Paty

Post by Paty »

what? You don't have one of the big programs with all the artists and guests names on it that I did a zillion autographs on? Every autograph I did had a color Magneto head on it that i drew! LOL... even though I was blind at the time! LOL... both dave and i were there for that one...it was the last one, I think... and we really misssed going to them. It was one big reunion of all the old timers once a year in the easiest of circumstances. ... All the pros loved it and would come back year after year just to schmooze with people they hadn't seen in a year!

those were fun days...
LOL
paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020