Anyone been to the salt mines?

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

I am reading a wonderful book, Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky. It's totally fun and entertaining, and totally feeds my Inner Anthropologist.

Anyhoo, I realized that The Durrnberg Salt Mines would be a fantastic place for Kurt and my OC to go on their honeymoon. (At the rate I'm not writing, that will probably get posted in the year 2016.)

Have any of you been on the mine tour? Or know someone who could give a description of it? I can use my imagination, of course, but ... nothing beats the little details for realism.

Danke!
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I see that book all the time at Barnes & Noble, good to know it's a swell read.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Totally. Would be so fun to teach a History of Civ or Ethnogastronomy class from it. But I don't teach. But even if one were not interested in such topics, his wry humour and way of weaving together seemingly unrelated tidbits of history make it really fun and at times a literal LOL book.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Been to them?! I work in them!

No, not really. Just feels like it. Ahem. Carry on!