Nightcrawler's Funeral Day

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So I'm having a public funeral for Kurt Wagner at my school.

Yes, I'm giving a fictional character a decent send off.

I urge others to do the same should they wish and also hope to promote good feelings in this thread and good memories. Any quotes you wish to share, that you think would be appropriate to read at a funeral, throw it in here.

I'll be honest, as of right now I'm looking for a decent quote either about Kurt or by Kurt for the "funeral".
If you have any you would like to share with me, I will gladly receive with great appreciation.

-Ult:spidey
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Cyntosis
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Cyntosis »

Jus' saying that I completely approve of your Facebook profile image. I drew it ages ago, it's funny (and sad) that it's suddenly so appropriate.
DreadPirateBluetail
Lubber
Lubber

Post by DreadPirateBluetail »

This is on my Facebook profile...it's one of the more famous, but I love it nonetheless.

Nightcrawler: Perhaps you're right. I've had a pretty easy life so far, I guess--not at all like you. For example, I never had to worry about optic beams, I've only been blue and furry since I was born!
Cyclops: You trying to be funny?
Nightcrawler: Merely making a point. We are what we are Scott--wishing won't change a blessed thing. Nor will feeling sorry for yourself. I learned very early on that I must either accept what I am, or go mad. And though I am now occasionally crazy, I am not mad. If you keep tearing your guts apart every time you think the world's shafted you, my friend, you'll destroy not only yourself, but those who love you.
~Uncanny X-Men~

Seems even more appropriate now.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Cyntosis, YOU DREW THAT?!

Jeez, thank you!

And I'll have to agree with you there, that's a good quote.

[Edited on 29/4/10 by Ult_Sm86]
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Cyntosis
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Cyntosis »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:Cyntosis, YOU DREW THAT?!
Yeah, like ages ago in a different context (aka exam stress). But now it is relevant.

@DreadPirateBluetail: you're creeping me out, that last part is on my wall too. It's one of my favourite quotes.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

Awesome.

Wait, what. Belgium?:cracked
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

I remembered something I'd heard a long time ago: Death is only the horizon, and a horizon is only the limit of our sight.

But I looked it up to get the author, and it's from a poem by Rossiter W. Raymond:

"Life is eternal, love is immortal
and death is only a horizon, and
a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight."
Trigger
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Trigger »

That is very suitable Jeremus, thanks for putting that up.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Jeremus, if Nightcrawler were a real person {you mean he isn't???}, the Preface to the Eucharistic Prayer at his Requiem Mass would include this: "Lord, for your faithful people, life is changed, not ended."

And to be uber-Catholic, I think it'd be swell (not at Bman's service, but maybe each at our own computers) to play or pray this lovely setting of the "Pie Jesu." (don't watch the video, just listen to the music. Video wobbles.) The words are basically asking Jesus the Lamb of God to give rest to the souls. And the music is yummy.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I'd be uncomfortable giving a fictional character a real, full funeral Mass, but I suspect we'll give Kurt a better send-off with just those little Catholic references than he'd get in the comics- considering how pretty much every time Marvel ventures near anything Catholic, they mess it up.

Oh, and would the Mozart requiem be a little too obvious a musical choice?
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

As long as they don't sing "On Eagles' Wings," I'm fine with most church music. I guess I'm super-sensitive to funerals b/c I've been to about two or three a month recently (another one tomorrow). And no he doesn't get a funeral Mass because he wasn't a real person (shock:eek). But we can pretend; that's what fanfic is all about.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

He's not likely to get a proper fictional funeral Mass in the comics. That's what I was trying to say.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

I agree. They probably think it consists of some old man in a surplice, cassock, and stole, muttering in Latin or quoting Ghibran and saying nice things about the deceased.

If he even gets that much. More likely: a bloobath by his best bud followed by everyone having sex to feel better.

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Well, not everyone, considering the only couple shown to do anything that might possibly help with mutant repopulation is Scott and a woman who's invested too much time and effort in cosmetic surgery and fancy lingerie to seriously consider risking stretch marks.

I remember when characters were wondering why no more mutants were being born, and it reminded me of the joke about the guy who wanted very badly to win the lottery, wondered why he didn't, and never thought that it was because he never bought a ticket.

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

As long as they don't sing "On Eagles' Wings,"
DAMN IT!

I actually had a few tracks picked out.

I also have some Twain quotes picked out.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Für dich bin ich gestorben
Für dich ist es noch nicht vorbei
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

I'll always picture Nightcrawler as the noble leader of Excalibur during the fantastically imaginative and beautifully drawn Cross-Time Caper.

The character of Nightcrawler has always had a special importance for me. When I was an undergraduate stressing about changing my major, I read Nightcrawler comics as an escape. But reading about his adventures, immersing myself in his point of view, actually helped me make a decision. Nightcrawler was a Gypsy as well as a mutant. He grew up on the margins of society, and when he joined the X-Men, he was still there. He wasn't an American, he was a foreigner from Germany, complete with "strange" accent. Yet his differences and the way others treated him didn't make him bitter and angry, they made him kind. Nightcrawler encouraged his teammates to see the world through different eyes, to understand conflicts from different points of view and to seek reconciliation through understanding. Digging into Nightcrawler's multicultural background led me to start investigating other cultures, which helped me realize my true passion was history. I switched my major from Engineering to European History and I haven't once regretted it. Now I'm a history instructor and this fall I'll be going to Scotland to start work on my PhD.

Thank you Nightcrawler. Everyone needs a hero, and you'll always be mine.

(It's not a quote, but it's what I'd say were I called upon to give the Elf a eulogy.)

~Rowena
:bamf

[Edited on 30/4/2010 by Rowena]
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

They just don't realize how much these characters really mean to us. I saw a show on History Channel once about how many kids became scientists and astro-physicists because they admired Scotty or Spock.
Marvel needs to know.

Rowena, you should post on Joe Q's thread at CBR exactly what you just posted here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This poem is one of my favorites and IMHO it fits him perfectly.....(it is a little "flowery", though, so I don't know if you'd want to use it for anything.)

So his life has flowed
from its mysterious urn
a sacred stream
In whose calm depth
the beautiful and the pure
alone are mirrored;
Which, though shapes of ill
may hover 'round its surface,
glides in light, and takes
no shadow from them.

---Sir Thomas N. Talfourd

[Edited on 01/19/09 by Jeremus]
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Manifestly, dying is nothing to a really great and brave man.
- Mark Twain
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

That's good.

There is also something in one of the Excalibur issues,( but I can't remember which one), I think it was called "A Change of Worlds" and in it, Kitty was having trouble accepting Douglock and then she got something in the mail that I think was some pages out of a diary of Cypher's,....anyway, I digress......but at the end, the caption read:" There is no death, only a change of worlds".
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Sorry about the double post.....but how'd the funeral go?
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Everyone backed out.

I had my own thing with two other people where we just sat around, and talked about our favorite Kurt-Moments, our least favorite, our perspectives in how the the character was handled over the years, and then we said good bye to the classic '90's suction-cup action figure. That was about it.
Mistress_D
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Mistress_D »

:( This sucks, I've had recent tragedy in my life the past year; my aunt died, my dad, my mom, my bro and my other aunt almost die, and I've relied on Nightcrawler to put that smile on my face. Now what am I going to do? RIP Kurt, hope you and Dave have some good times.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Elfdame wrote:I agree. They probably think it consists of some old man in a surplice, cassock, and stole, muttering in Latin or quoting Ghibran and saying nice things about the deceased.

If he even gets that much.
Come to think of it, that would have been better. In fact, I think everything we real people did on our own was better than the funeral Nightcrawler got in Uncanny.

I at least got to hear the appropriate Mass parts in Latin anyway- listened to my favorite Requiems (Mozart and Verdi), read some old back issues, and discussed/reminisced with fellow fans.

Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Mistress_D wrote::( This sucks, I've had recent tragedy in my life the past year; my aunt died, my dad, my mom, my bro and my other aunt almost die, and I've relied on Nightcrawler to put that smile on my face. Now what am I going to do? RIP Kurt, hope you and Dave have some good times.
I'm sorry to hear about your aunt.

They really don't know what these characters mean to people....or they don't care.

Ult, sorry that the funeral didn't turn out the way you'd planned, but at least you did something nice for him.