Quickie for Dave...

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
JUSTOOGOOD
Lubber
Lubber

Quickie for Dave...

Post by JUSTOOGOOD »

Is Kurt supposed to have a fine layer of fur? The reason I ask is that I have heard him referred to as "fuzzy". When drawing/painting him should he be rendered furry like Beast or fleshy like the movie version of NC?
I'm the best there is at what I do...
...no wait,
...that's someone else.

*ANYTHING STATED IN THE ABOVE POST IS MERELY THE OPINION OF MYSELF: UNLESS SUPPORTED BY FACTS/SOURCES ETC*
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Quickie for Dave...

Post by Dark Bamf »

I don't think anyone--myself included--has actually ever drawn him with a visible layer of fur, but early on Chris Claremont had Kitty start caling him 'Fuzzy Elf', and we just kind of tacitly agreed that he's covered with a fine coating of fur, like seal fur or something. Maybe even finer than that. It doesn't seem to have a visible nap to it, though.

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
JUSTOOGOOD
Lubber
Lubber

Quickie for Dave...

Post by JUSTOOGOOD »

Aha, thanks for the clarification. :)
...no wait,
...that's someone else.

*ANYTHING STATED IN THE ABOVE POST IS MERELY THE OPINION OF MYSELF: UNLESS SUPPORTED BY FACTS/SOURCES ETC*
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Quickie for Dave...

Post by Paty »

:mags
Geez! Trust a guy to get it wrong...

chris, Dave and I were all sitting around in my office one day...probably killing time until I could logically go home.. cuz as a staffer, I was supposed to work nine to five...
Anyway, at one point in the conversation, Dave wonders out loud..."I wonder what blue skin feels like..." and I said... "It's soft and fuzzy... like the underfur of a beaver or fine velvet. Very short, very soft..." Claremont thought for a moment and said "I like it!" He looks at Dave and Dave says.."me, too..." so it was soon after that that Chris began having Kitty call him the "fuzzy elf"

I remember that specifically cuz when I said underfur of a beaver, I didn't know if either Chris or Dave would know what that was like, being city slickers...so I qualified it with "like fine velvet..." which I knew they would understand. chris queried me later as to how fine the fur would be... how soft or prickly... and I told him it would be soft as baby's hair and would only be maybe a sixteenth of an inch if that...just enough to have a "nap" which gave you the dark lighting effects that make his face seem black in certain angles. chris said the "nap" part really made sense of the weird lighting effects that Dave had made a part of Kurt's visual makeup. I, on the other hand, was surprised that Chris knew what "nap" was. Mostly, unless you are into fabrics, it's a girl kind of knowledge.

Later artists had him growing a goatee... which would be utterly wrong... buz to get that effect, you have to shave... and shaving velvet just doesn't work... and if your whole skin is velvet and you don't have to have your whole skin, how are you gonna grow facehair? Makes no sense. shaving his head is another problem, too.. LOLlll The buzz cut look doesn't work for me although you could do it I suppose... but you would stillhave the blue underfur...just like beavers and their long and short hairs that overlap to keep them warm and dry... even in icy waters. The soft, insulating underfur was what made beavers a cash crop for trappers. Beaver hats were soft, luxurious, and shed water in inclement weather.. not losing their shape. Kurt would make a lovely bunch of blue hats...
LOL

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto
JUSTOOGOOD
Lubber
Lubber

Quickie for Dave...

Post by JUSTOOGOOD »

Pray tell what is "nap"? other than something my dad does when he gets in from work in the afternoon -of course.
...no wait,
...that's someone else.

Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Quickie for Dave...

Post by Paty »

"Nap" is the grain of the fabric. with heavy fabrics, it can show light wneh rubbed one way and dark when rubbed another waaay. It has to do with how the light affects the top or the underside of the fuzz in fabrics like velver.
some fabrics with smooth surfaces, like satin or taffeta have a visual nap built in because of how the colors are woven together. when the light hits them one way they are, say, blue... but when the light hits them another way, they may shimmer rust or yellow or whatever. It depends on the undercolors woven into the fabric.
But textural "nap" is three dimensional. It occurs with heavy fabrics that have more depth to them than just a thread width. Velvet is one of the heavy textural fabrics. and has a light side and a dark side. Depending on the deepness of the color, some of the "nap" effects can seem almost black.
Satinized spandex would give Daredevil his heavy black shadows on the red costume. Blue velvet skin could have "black" shadows on it depending on how the nap of Kurt's fur was struck by light.

some mundane fabrics, like courderoy, have "nap" too. and when you are cutting patterns you do have to take into consideration which way the "nap" flows or lays. ... otherwise you could wind up with a coat with one light side and one dark side... simply because one side had the nap going up and the other side had it going down...LOL... You would look like Harley Quinn. LOL...or maybe, Two Face...

does this help at all? It's the best I can do short of laying a piece of velvet down in front of you and rubbing it one way and saying"See? light green..." then rubbing it the other way and saying"see? dark green..."
LOL
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
JUSTOOGOOD
Lubber
Lubber

Quickie for Dave...

Post by JUSTOOGOOD »

hehehe thanku paty. I think I get it; my cats don't like when you mess with their nap that's for sure.

Ooh I didn't intend that to be a pun.
...no wait,
...that's someone else.

Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Quickie for Dave...

Post by Paty »

that's OK... as a pun it is an innocuous one. dave, king of the punsters, flirts with death every time he opens his mouth around here...He studied under Murphy Anderson... an inveterate punster himself, and it is an ingrained habit that is totally unbreakable...sigh...
some puns are small and innocent... others large and awful! this one is only marginally a pun, so acceptable for sure.
LOL
Cotinue in this sinful way, however, and risk the wrath punning inevitably spawns...
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
JUSTOOGOOD
Lubber
Lubber

Quickie for Dave...

Post by JUSTOOGOOD »

Thank goodness for that; I don't mind puns too much but I don't ever want to get to the Richard Whiteley level of abuse; do you get Mr. Whiteley or even Countdown anywhere else in the world? I don't know...

...if you don't that's probably not too bad of a thing!!

...in my humble opinion....
...no wait,
...that's someone else.

Nightcrawless
Lubber
Lubber

Quickie for Dave...

Post by Nightcrawless »

LOL Y'all are too punny.

...FUNNY...I meant funny. Y'all are too funny. Typos, you know.. XD :LOL
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Quickie for Dave...

Post by Paty »

Ha!!! typos my fat fanny! we knows a budding punster when we sees one, we does...
Tis a terrrrrrible terrrrrible thing ...and addiction, don't ya know...

sigh... surrounded!!! AAAUUUGGGGHHHH!!!

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
JUSTOOGOOD
Lubber
Lubber

Quickie for Dave...

Post by JUSTOOGOOD »

Hi Paty, do you (or Dave) know anything about a 25mm miniature of Nightcrawler? I'm kind of asking for maelstrom as she has found one and wants to know who made it. I don't know if you are up on every single piece of Nighty merchandise that ever was but it aint the one made by TSR and it aint the one made by Grenadier either. If either of you can shed any light on the subject that would be appreciated i'm sure; her thread is in
'Nightcrawler >>Can ANYONE tell me who did this 25mm of NC?...'.

Ta. (and not one pun in sight!!)
...no wait,
...that's someone else.