Wolverine and the X-men

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Wolverine and the X-men

Post by Angelique »

They can do all that. If I wanted dark, though, I'd read any X-book but WATX. If it becomes like all the rest except set at the school, it loses everything that sets it apart and makes it better, IMO, than UXF or Uncanny.

And if I wanted bleakness, I get more than enough of that in real life for free. And since we had three issues of fun (and yes, action- the two not being mutually exclusive) that was very well received by the fans, I think it's reasonable to hope the book would continue in that direction. It may very well, and the occasionally grim tone (which, to tell the truth, I really don't need now), may just be a hickup.

On an unrelated note, why assume that Alex is a he?
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Wolverine and the X-men

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Well firstly, I have no idea if Alex is a he or she, but the I'm-assuming-male-persona-writes with the general phrasing that I have seen in male comic book reviewers. But that doesn't mean anything of course.

I'd have to say that while the UXF is transitioning their stories and W&tXM is in its early stages, there's gonna be some (not a lot, because Aaron and Remender are both respectable writers), but SOME cross contamination. Which is fine. And like you said, action without dark undertones is fine, and there is going to be some of that. Mostly that even.

But for a little while, until the other books get themselves off the campus, every one of the gold titles are going to be featuring the kids and lets face it, in one of these titles what always happens to X-Men, Xavier/Jean Grey Academy schools IS going to happen. Someone's going to attack and everyone will have to work together to overcome. And the kids (some of them) are already showing that they want to anxiously step up and help out. That day will come, and be it humorous or dark, light or heavy, that story is what I'm most looking forward to see.

And I think W&tXM has the highest probability of having that story.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Re: Wolverine and the X-men

Post by Elwing »

Anyone got #5 yet? It made my day. This book takes the piss out of everybody in it and it is hilarious. And delightfully wierd. My only real complaint with it is that it is over too soon...which is the mark of a good comic.
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

I absolutely agree, El. This continues to be one of the best books currently published. :D

It just hits the right mark between excitement, suspense, and silly fun. The pacing is still great, with no panel space wasted on pointless splash pages or weighed down by too much exposition, and I admire how Aaron handles such a varied and large cast, giving each character a unique voice and a chance to shine.

I love all the little details going on in the background, and I can't remember ever having liked Angel, but this version is just so much fun. Broo is all kinds of adorable, and you gotta feel for poor poor Toad - always the butt of every joke. So can't wait for the next issue! :bounce
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

W&tXM is the antithesis of everything "Blue Team" is. I find all of those books rather redundant and feel as though they take themselves too seriously. This title lends the readers some humor, a great story, interesting characters, and lots of superhero-comic-book-fun. At the end of the day, it's fun, and what else is there to ask for??
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Okay, this last issue? #6? Incredible.

Absolutely awesome. Each issue just keeps getting better and better. Do I miss Bacchalo's art style? Absolutely. Am I very happy to see Aaron's writing is only improving? Absofreakinlutely.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

It doesn't let me edit so here's a quick double post for glory:

A quick review from CBR
Aaron has made his book an action packed and wild ride never skimping on character development. He does more with character in a few lines than most writers can do in pages.
Sundown
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Sundown »

I think it is a crying shame that they didn't keep 616 Nightcrawler for this title -- he would've been perfect in it. It really reminds me so much of the style of early Excalibur.
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

*whimper*

Dangit they don't stock that comic here!!

I want the GN, I want it now, and delivered by a topless can-can dancing 616 :)

and while i wait i want the torrent :/ but without the embarrasing ads and spam *shakes fist at internet*

I managed to get my sticky fingers on #1 and #2 in January .... and they now live in a plastic bag so they will not get sticky fingerprints on them... :D

I have to agree; this comic is completely awesome, its funny, lighthearted, crazy and isn't (yet) bogged down by angst or bad writing or dark!bloodgoresplatter.

It has all the elements i liked from early Claremont-and-Davis as well as Davis-and-Davis Excalibur, as well as the humour and affection of characters that reminds me of the better issues of Ultimate Spider-Man (ie: without the massive death count) although the new Ult-Spidey does sound good....
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

The new Ult. Spidey is incredible, but W&tXM is slowly becoming my new favorite title. Of all time.

This is a fantastic title, Klady.

Klady -- who's your favorite character in the title?
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

My favorite?

Well I'm liking the whole series in general - but i guess the female cast is one i find appealing - I first started collecting Generation X and then Excalibur's back issues when i really started to get into comics. So I am delighted to see Kitty and Rachel in the cast (and they're sorta remembering Ray's facial scars/tattoos and her rather ferocious background - yay!) and I'm interested to see where the direction with Paige's dodgy powers is going to go.

Oh and the line about Kitty getting a grey hair?

Buffy-esque-win!

.... mind you the potential Bobby/Kitty pairing is cute, and apparently Angel is joining as some kind of nudist which is worthy of LOL. As well as Quentin Quire being somewhat interesting too -

dangit!

I can't choose!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I meant from the W&tXm lol but cool
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I don't know how you guys are feeling but every issue of W&tXM is better than the last. This weeks was a great semi-conclusion. Who else is curious about what that Professor Starsomething meant about BAMFS?
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

Yes. And awesome book. So much going on there...
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

But when Bradshaw does it, he absolutely nails it — there's a fist-pumping moment where Kitty confronts her attacker with a horde of interdimensional Bamfs, and you'd never think a pregnant woman and a pack of furry blue elves would ever be this badass.
-Newsarama's Wolverine & The X-Men #7 review.

I have to say, I absolutely agree. Aaron (& Bradshaw) take humorous concepts and are able to retain the action packed, bad assery that makes super hero comic books, while developing characters, and keeping us grinning from ear to ear. It's like when I read Amazing Spider-Man at it's best. This is X-men at its best. Period.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

Nice review, but I think it deserves a better rating than 7/10. Loved that issue! Come on marvel, give us the preview for the next! Bachalo is back!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Jason Aaron responds to questions in a Newsarama Interview.

This one is a doozy, lots of great questions here. Littered with hints about upcoming storyplots involving the school, Wolverine, and even AvX!!
Newsarama wrote:2) It seems that Rachel has taken a particular interest in Wolverine. Could this have anything to do with the possibility that he is her real father and not Cyclops?

I guess only Jean knew for sure. Too bad she's dead.
Newsarama wrote:1) The fact that you brought back Quentin Quire is a stroke of genius. At the moment he's not quite a villain, but rather a foil for Wolverine and the entire school itself. With the title going into AvX, will he factor into the core conflict as he has a connection to the Phoenix Force? Or will he just side with The Avengers just out of spite? Does Quentin have it in him to ever be a hero?

The kids at the Jean Grey School won't be allowed to get out and about and get involved in "AvX." Well, most of them won't, at least. But that's not to say they'll go untouched by the events. "AvX" will have some huge ramifications for at least a couple of our students; whether Quentin is one of them remains to be seen.

Quentin's connection to the Phoenix will be referenced, but no, it won't be playing a role in "AvX." The Phoenix Force obviously has a very long and complicated history, and in order to make "AvX" new-reader friendly, we wanted to distill as much of that down as we could. So we focus in on Hope, and the recent history of the Phoenix. That means someone like Rachel Summers won't play a big role in the main series, but she most definitely will have her moments in the "Wolverine & the X-Men" tie-ins.
Newsarama wrote:
1) Given that Cyclops is visiting the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning in the midst of "Avengers vs. X-Men," will we be able to get his reaction to the school, the staff, the students...and the fact that the school is named after his dead wife?

Yes, I expect he will most certainly have something to say about the school being named after his dead wife.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I have got to know... if they're not actual BAMFS... what are they? They even say "BAMF"...
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Starfish »

They could also be Boggies, even though they look much more like Bamfs. I guess their true nature will be revealed to be something else entirely; we'll just have to wait and see.

Also, here's a preview for issue #8, with art by Chris Bachalo and featuring Sabretooth, coming out this week: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... w&id=11936
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So after the Sabretooth encounter what do we think of Hank McCoy?

Also --- where do you think Hank & Logan will land on the AvX line? I am assuming Hank is still swinging Avengers, ... I wonder if Logan's school will come into crossfire and that will make a change of sides?
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Starfish »

Hank is headed off into space with the Secret Avengers to stop or at least delay the Phoenix Force from coming to Earth. As for Logan's stance on the whole thing, this is made pretty clear in AvX #2. At this point, it looks like he'll mostly play the role of the independent wild-card with his own objective, which is to protect his school by any means.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I like two things the most about this issue:

1) CapAm got a B-.

2) Flea-sized Bamfs.

This is, in fact, the best book on shelves right now.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

:shifty I think he actually does have fleas.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

After a fight with Sabertooth? I wouldn't put money on it but I wouldn't call myself surprised either, if I were to find out he did.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

As a NC fan, I'm more concerned about what that evil scientist alien said when the bamfs got to him.