It's somebody's birthday!

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Happy Birthday, Paty! :party :bday :clap :dance
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
StarChild
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Banned

Post by StarChild »

Yeahh, Happy Birthday!! Gee, Angelique beat me to the punch!! How did that happen!

Much Love and Best Wishes!

May the Great Bird of the Galaxy roost in your halls and Magneto smooch you with the best of em! :tophat :magneto :bday

Ah, yes...lover at heart and along comes the ultimate romantic! Fox hunt ala Nightcrawler
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

:dance :bday :dance HAPPY BIRTHDAY PATY!! :magneto
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

Happy Birthday Paty! I U2U'ed you a pressie!
http://lady_erin.livejournal.com
:magneto
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Want to IM me? U2U me for the screenname.
InterNutter
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by InterNutter »

Merry B-day Paty! I'd send you a gift-wrapped Magneto, except (a) I can't draw him for spit and (b) I suspect you already have one ;)

Have a great day ^_^
The one and only InterNutter (as seen on FFN and NFN)
http://www.internutter.org
http://www.nutfiction.net <---Nutfiction.net! *THE* place to host fanfic [Now back online! Huzzah!]
Shadowscrawl
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Shadowscrawl »

Happy belated Birthday!
Have a great year of the dog (supposed to be good for lady artists).
"You've got it allright. Now keep it to yourself"

http://shadowscrawl.tripod.com/
Home of Lil' Kurt
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Post by Paty »

LOL... well, I was born in the year of the horse...and horses are one of my totem animals... the others are eagles...and other birds, like the macaw birdie babies I raised from the egg! LOL

Trust me, you do NOT want to raise birdie babies from the egg... feeding round the cock every two hours for WEEKS!!! OL...even having tow boy children wasn't as stressful and wearying...

thank you one and all! It was a good day so I didn't get online much...actually I only got on a little bit around eleven pm...then I crashed...after a wonderful dinner at my fave Chinese restaurant. I live to eat LoMein! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

Got some cool stuff, including Lady Erin's cool Magfic and am looking forward to reading Starchild's Nighty fic, too...She conferred with Dave on his ideas for Nighty's parentage...neither Dave nor I being very sanguine with the Draco stuff Chuck did. I liked a lot of his writing, but he didn't have a clue about Kurt...especially his parentage. dave wanted Nightmare to be his father. He didn't have any person picked out for mother, but when he drew this sexy lady in a white dress, and Andy Yanchus colored her blue, with red hair and I told him it needed a spot of other color and gave her yellow eyes, Dave rolled his eyes and said she looks lke Nighty's sister!!! Well , later on others took this visual relationship to a whole new plane...LOL and while some have complained that the original dress was not geared to a rough and tumble assassin... she didn't start out to be that... she only started as a sexy, exotic lady on Dave's wall. He did lots of them back then. Chris came into his office one day, saw her on the wall and said "I WANT HER!!!" so Dave gave Mystique to Chris and he ran with her...in his own inimitable way...LOL the white dress was elegant on a blue skinned femme fatale, a bit silly on a Tomb Raider clone that others made her later. Personally I liked her as a slinky lady...not a grubby dominatrix/bitch/thief/assassin...sigh...
In any event I look forward to that fic, too... I love fics that diverge from established canon... it shows that there are still creative people out there in fandom...sometimes more capable of telling a good story than the so called "pros" whose drivel we are deluged with each month.

In any event... thanks one and all... the old biddy is still alive and kicking feebly... And, let me tell you, Feebly is not too happy about that...
LOL
paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

LOL! So long as feebly isn't happy!
I might stick it down in the fanfic thread later, if you don't mind...
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Post by Paty »

I don't mind at all... it is an excellent vignette of early Magnus. Fics like this one do not change extablished canon or diverge into an alternate reality... they embellish what exists with possibilities.
With fanfic, there are two different types. those that do not change canon, but possibly embellish it...like this one... and those that diverge from a given point and actually create an alternate universe apart from the main one from which it diverged. Both are creatively valid.

As we have seen with some of the modern writers, canon seems to be, in their eyes, at least, mutable. This is why retcon seems to be their manefesto. There is a difference between studying canon, accepting it and changing it logically and just changing it because they want to do so and pursue other storylines. Change is acceptable...it is the only constant in the universe. Illogical change, whether it is in characterization or timeline, due to a laziness in researching canon or understanding it or just hubris on the part of the author is not...especially when you are dealing with the published books. Fanfic is another animal altogether...in which any configuration, conformation or coloring can be tolerated, since it doesn not affect published canon.
The estate and family of H.P. Lovecraft invited other authors to write stories in the Cthulu mythos... but only if the characterization of the original stories was adhered to. Wild divergence or destruction of the core personalities of the central characters and their characterization would be punished by rejection or lawsuits. and this is proper for published stories, since once it is published in book format, it becomes part of the mythos. Done well, it can enhance and embellish and add to the mythos. Done poorly, it detracts from the mythos and pisses off long time fans of the mythos...
LOL
But, again, this only has bearing for the printed word in the original format. Fanfiction on websites is merely fun for all.. or should be...
It is an exercise in creativity using characters one is fond of. I write fics about Magneto...LOL some of them naughty.. others not..heheheheheheheheeee... It's fun, that's all... and canonically, signifies nothing... unless a story's brillance and wit influences a yoyo writer in the clique...I ain't gonna hold my breath..

LOL
paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
StarChild
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Banned

Post by StarChild »

Well, lovely lady and patron saint and protector of the Marvel universe...Am I overembellishing or what?...I can only hope that you and the Great and Awesome Dark Bamf, Mister Cockrum, find my fic suitable, interesting and somewhat honoring to Nightcrawler, whom has been my favorite Marvel character for twenty-five years or more now! Thank you for the opportunity to play with Dave's idea! I hope I did it the justice it deserved! The etymological origins of the word Nightmare in German were astounding! Dave must have been in contact with the lord of the dreamworld on some subconscious level! Because it worked out amazingly well!

I hope the Lo mein was FANTASTIC!

Bailamos, Paty!
:tophat

Claremont rules!

[Edited on 2/2/06 by StarChild]

Ah, yes...lover at heart and along comes the ultimate romantic! Fox hunt ala Nightcrawler
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

Originally posted by Paty
I don't mind at all... it is an excellent vignette of early Magnus. Fics like this one do not change extablished canon or diverge into an alternate reality... they embellish what exists with possibilities.
With fanfic, there are two different types. those that do not change canon, but possibly embellish it...like this one... and those that diverge from a given point and actually create an alternate universe apart from the main one from which it diverged. Both are creatively valid.
Well...it might diverge a little if I keep writting bits...but for now...
As we have seen with some of the modern writers, canon seems to be, in their eyes, at least, mutable. This is why retcon seems to be their manefesto. There is a difference between studying canon, accepting it and changing it logically and just changing it because they want to do so and pursue other storylines. Change is acceptable...it is the only constant in the universe. Illogical change, whether it is in characterization or timeline, due to a laziness in researching canon or understanding it or just hubris on the part of the author is not...especially when you are dealing with the published books. Fanfic is another animal altogether...in which any configuration, conformation or coloring can be tolerated, since it doesn not affect published canon.
Just my thoughts...but I think some of the problems with Comics is that they are writers first and fans second (not that that is always bad...) and therefore don't have the drive need to do their homework. Just sadly, that shows.
The estate and family of H.P. Lovecraft invited other authors to write stories in the Cthulu mythos... but only if the characterization of the original stories was adhered to. Wild divergence or destruction of the core personalities of the central characters and their characterization would be punished by rejection or lawsuits. and this is proper for published stories, since once it is published in book format, it becomes part of the mythos. Done well, it can enhance and embellish and add to the mythos. Done poorly, it detracts from the mythos and pisses off long time fans of the mythos...
I like that idea! Very good one really.
LOL
But, again, this only has bearing for the printed word in the original format. Fanfiction on websites is merely fun for all.. or should be...
It is an exercise in creativity using characters one is fond of. I write fics about Magneto...LOL some of them naughty.. others not..heheheheheheheheeee... It's fun, that's all... and canonically, signifies nothing... unless a story's brillance and wit influences a yoyo writer in the clique...I ain't gonna hold my breath..

LOL
paty
Fanfic also give flegling writers a 'safe' place to practise with an idea they know or understand before trying there own ideas.
And I'm not holding my breath about influences on the writers.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

It's both, and more. In some cases, it's just a place for more established writers to play around with established characters they like. Some new writers with ambitions to move on to more original stuff might use fanfic to practice.

And some of us are neither fledgeling writers, nor established writers trying to have fun and keep up their chops, but are simply being tormented by some muse that's screaming, "I'll leave you alone only if you create this situation for these characters!"

Paty, thank Dave again for me for creating my favorite blue muse. And thank you again for making him fuzzy!
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

BTW, Paty's B'day gift from our friennds Barb, Marian, and myself was a very large talking statue of the Wicked Witch of the West. She says her best line: 'I'll get you my pretty--and your little dog too!'

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny