Gambit

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
WeirdToodlesX
Lubber
Lubber

Gambit

Post by WeirdToodlesX »

even though this is mainly a nightcrawler place, i want to talk about my favorite x-men, the irrisplicable gambit alias remy lebeau.

why does everybody think he is srtange and off the wall? he's a sweety. and if you do/don't like him, why?
ducks are atking over the world!!!
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Gambit

Post by SheCat »

Paty's gonna have a field day with this one. :smirk

I love him. Honestly, I don't know why. But I've also always followed his relationship with Rogue (hmm, can you say "insane fangirl"?). I love the two to death.
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
Sorte Springer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Gambit

Post by Sorte Springer »

I don´t like him because I think he is boring. His power is not really intersting in my opinion, probably because is so "easy- to- use", it does not have a down side to it. There is a down side to being Rogue, Cyclops, Phoenix, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Marrow, Chamber, Iceman ( at least in the current issues), Beast, Angel and even Professor X ( because he is in the wheel chair).
For many X-characters being a mutant is tough, because they look odd, or their power make them mentaly unstable, or they are somehow disabled by their power.
Gambit is not like that as far as i can tell. I guess that why he does not get my attention.
A ve in om de flest æ de bedst eller båre de flest.
- Niels Hausgaard
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Gambit

Post by Diablo »

I like Gambit as a thief -not as an X-Man. He would be more interesting as an antagonist, coming at the X-mansion from time to time... to borrow stuff and steal technology devices.
As a hero, he's sure boring, because, like Sorte Springer points out, he has it too easy.
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
WeirdToodlesX
Lubber
Lubber

Gambit

Post by WeirdToodlesX »

Originally posted by Diablo
I like Gambit as a thief -not as an X-Man. He would be more interesting as an antagonist, coming at the X-mansion from time to time... to borrow stuff and steal technology devices.
As a hero, he's sure boring, because, like Sorte Springer points out, he has it too easy.
well, if you think about his past with those tunnel-dudes(forget what they're called) when he killed them, he DOES have a down-side : trying to hide his past. he's running from himself. that's why he can't get close to anyone, specially rouge(she eventually learns it anyways).
ducks are atking over the world!!!
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Gambit

Post by Diablo »

Well, Remy didn't actually killed the Morlocks -that's the name. But he sure let the Marauders to them, knowing perfectly what the Marauders were capable of -this or he's blind and deaf !;)
The fact is : he's responsible for that one. He was not in a berseker rage like Logan or anything. No. He was aware of it, and did nothing to stop the murders.
I still can't figure out why the X-Men forgave him. Sorry if I repeat myself but for me, he's better as a thief than as a hero.

And I so hope Remy and Rogue won't stay together. I love them separeted. As a couple, they loose their edge.
Rogue is interesting because she can't touch anybody -well, except Magneto ;)-, and Gambit is entertaining as a charmer.
www.atlantys.biz

SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Gambit

Post by SheCat »

*resist...urge...to rant about RoGambit...fangirlishly...*

Personally, I like that he isn't isolated because of his powers (like Bobby, Scott, Kurt...) as much as his past. To me, it's a welcome change.
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
Sorte Springer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Gambit

Post by Sorte Springer »

I think Diablo is right, Gambit would make a fine adversary. He could be the "not- very -evil-but -rather-oppotunist" type. That would become him better than being an X-man. I as far as I know, Gambit does not give a lot of thought to Proffesor Xs dream and goals anyway.
A ve in om de flest æ de bedst eller båre de flest.
- Niels Hausgaard
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Gambit

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I like Gambit. His last series was good. I'll check it out.

The whole tortured past thing does nothing for me though. It's a vaguely interesting plot point at times but I like to see him in the now, scheming and breaking hearts, and just generally being a great big bastard. :D
Originally posted by Diablo
Rogue is interesting because she can't touch anybody
Rogue is boring because all she ever does is fly around and whine about how she can't touch anyone.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Gambit

Post by Tatu »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
I like to see him in the now, scheming and breaking hearts, and just generally being a great big bastard. :D
yeah, what she said.

Gambit is better as the bad ass sarcastic bastard.. good boy gambit is no fun.. which is why i'm looking forward to his new series.. swashbuckling 007 Gambit .. w00t!
Call me King!
Tracker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Gambit

Post by Tracker »

I'd like Gambit to be that character that you're pretty sure is a good guy, but you can never quite shake the feeling that the only side he's really on is his own.
Sail away where no ball and chain
Can keep us from the roarin' waves
Together undivided, but forever we'll be free.
So sail away aboard our rig
The moon is full and so are we,
We're seven drunken pirates
We're the seven deadly sins.
~Flogging Molly

Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#40 :engarde
shakspear
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Gambit

Post by shakspear »

I like Gambit for purely selfish reasons; he's from the Big Easy, which is close to where I live:toothy
Seriously, I think he is best being a cad and a rogue, forgive the pun!
He is devilishly handsome and athletically pleasing:naughty;)
As much or more we should ourselves complain.

Assume a virtue, if you have it not.
Be great in act, as you have been in thought.

William Shakespeare

"Stealing from one person is called plagiarism; stealing from a bunch of people is called research." -Alfred E. Newman.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Gambit

Post by Diablo »

originally posted by the Drastic Spastic
Rogue is boring because all she ever does is fly around and whine about how she can't touch anyone.
Not at all. She can feel lonesome, from time to time, but Claremont's Rogue was strong and funny. That, and she used to kiss guys a lot ! :rogue -something she doesn't do anymore. :( I liked it when she was stealing other mutants's powers. Nowadays she's just another female powerhouse.
www.atlantys.biz

nightcrawler30
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Gambit

Post by nightcrawler30 »

i like him because he has the cajunness in him and i guess because of his attidue. he does have awsone looking eyes...... why can't i have eyes like those????
Master of Pupets Pulling your stings twisting your mind and breaking your dreams- Master Of Pupets

The Horsemen are drawing nearer On the leather steeds they ride They have come to take your life.
dbzang
Lubber
Lubber

Gambit

Post by dbzang »

Gambit's real name aint Remy its Jeremy....it said it in one of de comic...dont member which one
Gambit HOT!
Rogue COOL!

Love Power Rangers, and X-men!
KnightKat
Lubber
Lubber

Gambit

Post by KnightKat »

Remy is a charecter with a lot of agnst and depth. If the right writer did a story with him, they could explore so much of that depth, his past, etc. His power isnt too involved, but his personality more than makes up for that. His recent blinding is great, and further complicates his relationship with Rogue. I have always loved Gambit, and I enjoy seeing him be with Rogue. For years, I had that comic hanging on my walll. You know, the one where Rogue is jumping into Gambit's arms, and the inside is their date where he tells her that physical touch isnt that important, I think the line is, "Fine, then we dont kiss." :sigh: Makes me freakin swoon... :love
Bamf Bunny
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Gambit

Post by Bamf Bunny »

[quote]Originally posted by dbzang
Gambit's real name aint Remy its Jeremy....it said it in one of de comic...dont member which one[/quote[

Rémy, with or without the accent, is a real French name in its own right; it comes from a city name, Rheims. The French form of Jeremy isn't Rémy, it's Jérémy.
Paulus aber sprach: Ich wünschte vor Gott, es fehle nun an viel oder an wenig, daß nicht allein du, sondern alle, die mich heute hören, solche würden, wie ich bin, ausgenommen diese Bande.
SmoothBamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Gambit

Post by SmoothBamf »

I like Gambit, but like others above, I like him as a thief.

I like his power, it's cool and so what if there's no downside. How do you know that his power is easy-to-use? We (as readers) did not meet Gambit until he was already an adult. Who's to say that in the process of learning how to use his power he didn't blow stuff up by accident, and if I'm not mistaken, the reason that Gambit was even involved with the Morlock massacre is because he owed Mr. Sinister for toning down his power to a more manageable level, which is futher proof that his power is not easy to use.

Now, Diablo, you say that you don't understand why the X-Men forgave Gambit. Well first he didn't actually kill anyone, second he was never an adversary of the X-Men. So if they can forgive Rogue for putting Miss Marvel in coma and for trying to kill the X-Men on several occassions, why not forgive Gambit? Also, lets not forget why she came to the X-Men in the first place, it wasnt becauise she had a change of heart, it was because she needed thier help. The change of heart came shortly thereafter.

I would also like to say that The Drastic Spastic is right on the money about Rogue.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Gambit

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

i like him because he has the cajunness in him and i guess because of his attidue. he does have awsone looking eyes...... why can't i have eyes like those????
I know, that would be so cool, I want those eyes or at least contacts like 'em
Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Banned

Gambit

Post by Winged Outlaw »

I have issues with Gambit, but not because of any of the reasons listed above. It's because I'm a nerd. Not so much a comics nerd, but an engineering nerd. Namely, a Mechanical Engineer who's damn good at thermodynamics. Basically, Gambit's power makes no sense. You can't inject kinetic energy into a stationary object. The very sentence makes no sense, as KE=.5mv^2. If something's not moving, then v=0, therefore KE = 0. Now, some people say that he's altering the kinetic energy of the molecules themselves, but then you have to refer to it as thermal energy/internal energy. In which case, the cards would probably burst into flames rather than explode. In order to make something explode, he would have to affect the molecules such that they become violently unstable, though this would require both a large mass and also care because these explosions could then be highly radioactive in nature.

So yeah. I hate Gambit because I'm a dork :p
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Gambit

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Well I went digging around in the old posts and lookie what I found...

I am on a little bit of a Gambit kick right now, because my interest got reperked while playing him. I have gotten the first 4 in the big series of him so far, and I have to say I am loving it...that is the one where he is in NO by himself...or at least so far he is by himself.

I like Gambit because he is different...he still retains who he was and hasn't let the whole "being an x-man" thing consume him. I kind of like Remy/Rogue in ways...but I hate how it makes no sense for him to always be getting the short end of the stick from her, and yet still go crawling back to her...it makes no sense.

Have any of you read that series?

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Gambit

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I'm soooo doen with Gambit/Rogue. Not that I have much reason to complain, because I don't read any books they're in....but...I dunno. How many times can they die and get ressurected?

Actually, I picked up one arc of Milligans Xmen run. Where Mystique tried to seduce Remy as Foxx, then was all "You can't screw Rogue, but you can screw me as Rogue!" And they didn't make it clear if Remy did or not.....Does anyone know???! Cause I don't want to buy anymore :(

And Paws: :gambit
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Gambit

Hehe! Well in the solo series I am on, he's with rogue, but he still has relations with the girl that's hired him. I LOVED the line...though I still think he's a cad for doing that behind her back...it was:

"Ok...maybe I am homosuperior...but I'm still only human."

I am loving the way he is in this series though...he is so human. I hate it when people are portrayed as "perfect".

Paws
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Gambit

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

What's exactly going on in the solo series?? You're peaking my interest....

I wonder if it's collected in trades....
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Gambit

Yeah - pretty damn sure its in trades.

It's basically a plot where he has to go to NO and ends up stealing something he shouldn't and the mess ensues from there. Its his whole view of himself as "theif first then x-man" that I am loving. Though I still cannot fathom how those boots could possibly be comfortable or allow freedom of movement. It has a lot of humor too - and a dash of the occult - so its great.

LOVE the way he is drawn in this one too.

Paws