Gambit

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Gambit

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Who wrote it?? Who's the aritst??
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Gambit

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Layman, Jeanty and Hillsman.
I don't know any of those guys...you?

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Gambit

I finished the second trade....:P

It was super cute, a really nice solo series. I mean, the writing was a bit cliche at times and i really didn't like the artist, but I liked the stories for the most part..

I don't wanna give anything away because I know Paws is still waiting to get the rest of them....but OMG that Ginny girl is TROUBLE...but I fucking LOVE HER for it!! Take THAT Remy!

BTW: I liked the second trade more than the first....i mean...ZOMBIES!

BTW: pawsie darling.....LOVE the new avatar! He looks like David Boreanez....*drooooooooool*

[Edited on 3/5/06 by NachtcGleiskette]
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Gambit

Thank you about the avatar - and I get to read the rest of it in 5 days hopefully (when the stuff I ordered comes).

The more reading I do, the more confusing this all gets - but when he is played good, he is played good. That isn't as often as one would hope.

Paws
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Gambit

SERIOUSLY!

So, I go to my comic store, and ask for good Gambit stories. They're like "pffffft"...honestly...Gambit's a cool character, and has SO much potential, why do all his stories SUCK?? The whole Rogue/Gambit thing has got to be resloved somehow...it has to do something, or go somewhere..or end it! The most interesting take I've seen is in Ultimate...

And this Poccy stuff?? I'm so confused..and very worried....I've heard rumblings that he will be taken out of the books for a while....:bawl

And you know what?? We need a CHICK on a Gambit story. Seriously. Women just know how to write characters geared toward women....well, obviously. Where's Gail Simone when you need her? :bawl

Edited to add:
I folded and bought the Xmen with horseman Gambit...I'm gonna take a looksie and see what is going on...and while I'm not sure I like the whole thing...

I REALLY love this cover.

[Edited on 5/5/06 by NachtcGleiskette]
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Gambit

Anyway, we should rename this the "Paws and Nacht" thread! We deserve a thread!

So, I come to you today to share a little "Huh? LAME!"

I read the first 6 issues of the Rogue series, which was actually super good. Some really awesome Gambit moments, mainly him charming his way from NY to Mississippi. Super sweet. Which brings me to this whole charm power. Now, HOW exactly does this work?? In the book, he tried using it on Bobby, but he was all "You cant use the power on people who know about it. It doesn't work"

Guh?! Buh?!

How is that a power?? If people know about it it doesn't work?? Isn't that the same as like.....just being charming? Or is this a new evolution of mutation? "Haha! Try all you may Havok, but I KNOW ABOUT YOUR POWER!"

I'm sorry, it just made so little sense.....I'm so on the fence with this charm power! That was lame, then when he charmed it was hot shit. BAH
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Gambit

Post by chicory »

:LOL

When I think Gambit's charm powers I think of these two scenes in the animated series. The one where he's flirting with the saleswoman in the mall just before the sentinels attack and where he thinks about ditching Jubilee in line at the theatre for someone he just met.

His power isn't mind control, it's just influence, right (he's not affecting free will)? So, someone who he was trying to use it on could either be thinking - 'what a charming guy!' in which case he'd get what he wanted or else they'd be like - 'Gambit must be using his powers on me again' - and they'd know better than to fall for it, and their guards would be up.

Or maybe Bobby just meant that Gambit's powers wouldn't work because Gambit was known to be untrustworthy. Any attempt to charm someone who knew him would just take on a sinister aspect and they'd be able to get past it.

Doesn't Longshot have a similar power?
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Gambit

Post by Angelique »

Charm doesn't have to even be a mutant power. But it's rather like sweet talking someone to get your way. If they know you're only piling on the charm to manipulate someone, they'll see right through it.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Gambit

But Gambit's charm IS a mutant power. ANd it seems extremely influential. It's not mind contrl perse, but they make it clear that if Remy sets his mind to it, he will get his way...regardless.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Gambit

Hey, next week we get Xmen: Fairy Tales #4 which has GAMBIT!!! It's about the only bit of Gambit we're getting :(

I saw the preview for it...it looks interesting...but, Gambit's a detective? And Rogue's a theif? And Mystique is some wannabe Marie Laveau? Hmmmmm....let's see how it pans out. Bishops in it too. Yeah. Hmmm
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Gambit

Meh...I hate to say it but I don't think I'll be racing out to get that one. If it reveiws well perhaps. Its just...rogue as the theif?

I want some good Gambit damnit! He can be so kick ass when he's done well.

Paws
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Gambit

Oh come on! Race out! According to the folks on Xfan who have seen a preview copy its gonna be good. Race away!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Gambit

I've been reading some of the back issues that I hadn't gotten around to reading, namely the issues leading up to 350 (the trial of Gambit) where Joseph had been welcomed into the x-men and I laughed so hard at how many simple aside mentions there were scattered through here and there with him being all. 'well maybe I should just change my name and I'll get a clean slate' sort of thing. Ultimately, he would still support Joseph in fights and whatnot, while not trusting him and being continually irked (and understandabally so) that all he had to do is get his mind wiped (they were thinking Joseph was mags at this point in time) and all was forgiven. It was all a lead into the whole trial thing where he was revealed to having led the mauraders into the morlock tunnels.

Of course then Rogue did the whole abandon him to freeze to death thing, which she was instantly forgiven for...but bah, that is another topic. Don't get me wrong, I like Rogue fine. But that was LAAAAME.

Paws
KatPryde
Lubber
Lubber

Gambit

Post by KatPryde »

well Marvel originally made Gambit a bad guy at the start , but too many people became a fan of him so they decided to make him an X-men . The good side. I loved his relationship with Rogue. Did he ever get along with NightCrawler? :gambit:rogue
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Gambit

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I don't remember him ever specifically having any problems with Kurt. I can't imagine he'd dare start something with the Elf, even if he disagreed. He's Rogue's foster-brother anyways.

Gambit's evolution from a... I wouldn't even go so far as to say a villain... more like an antagonist, into not only a protagonist, but a well-loved hero, was not exactly a long and arduous journey, it seemed rather plotted from the get-go.

However; I feel like sometimes Marvel really wants to get him back into his antagonistic shoes. They fit better. It's annoying to the fans of Gambit because they don't want to see him be anything but loyal to the Xavier Ideal, but honestly he's not that kind of person at all. Character evolution aside, he still has some "bad guy" tendencies and once in awhile, Marvel writers (or execs?) let him show his darker side and have us doubt him. It's fun. I hope they keep doing it.

I'm predicting his relevance in "SCHISM" to be ... well relevant. I think he's going to show some true colors, prevailing once again in the name of sense and reason, but I wouldn't be surprised if he firmly stands against some of his closest friends in the name of those ideals.

Perhaps even Rogue herself.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Gambit

Ult_Sm86 wrote:I don't remember him ever specifically having any problems with Kurt. I can't imagine he'd dare start something with the Elf, even if he disagreed. He's Rogue's foster-brother anyways.
Nightcrawler once stole his sandwich, so Remy zapped him in the ass.

And I will admit that I haven't been reading Gambit in the latest books (and I've heard pretty good things) but LORD it was getting horrific with all the puppying after Rogue. He wasn't his own character anymore, he didn't have a story outside their story, which just sucked. Rogue was having all these adventures, and Gambit was just sitting around waiting for her to finish her adventures. Really lame.

But I know he's been in X23 lately. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Gambit

Post by littlebamf »

I am actually hugely enjoying him in the X-23 book and normally I am not a fan of Gambit in the comics. Maybe its because he's away from Rogue and operating as an individual, rather than hanging off his Southern Belle most of the time. I don't know. He just seems more honest and open and more well definaed as a character in the X book and his support for her is very touching, seeing as she isn't someone who can give a whole heap back.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Gambit

littlebamf wrote:I am actually hugely enjoying him in the X-23 book and normally I am not a fan of Gambit in the comics. Maybe its because he's away from Rogue and operating as an individual, rather than hanging off his Southern Belle most of the time. I don't know. He just seems more honest and open and more well definaed as a character in the X book and his support for her is very touching, seeing as she isn't someone who can give a whole heap back.
Awesome! I should pick this up.

I find I really enjoy him when he's not around Rogue too. His solo series was fabulous and largely away from Rogue. But once you tie them together, he becomes incredibly dependent and she becomes "woe is me boo hoo." And honestly, she deserves to be D U M P E D. When she got control of her powers in Legacy, Remy was there, he'd always BEEN there, he'd been trailing after her for years. And she basically blew him off. It's like the guy who stays with the ugly chick, and then she dumps him after she has plastic surgery. Shallow, Rogue, shallow!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Gambit

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So what're we looking at here coming up with Gambit in the post-Schism events?

Is he siding with Logan? Is he still slumming it with Rogue? (I honestly feel he can do much better. :LOL )

I'm gonna be picking up that X-23 trade just to catch him in it. What was his impact on her character, if any?
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Gambit

Post by Starfish »

I actually liked how Liu handled him in the X-23 title; a lot better than his appearance in Legacy. As for his relationship with Rogue, looks like those two will make up half the cast of Legacy after Schism, with Frenzy and Rachel in addition. Maybe that line up will lead to some interesting constellations? ;)
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Gambit

I am SO anti Gambit/Rogue. No one has managed to make that interesting in years. I've heard that he and Frenzy seem to be flirty, and I am on board!

My biggest fear in seeing he and Rogue are in a book together is that they will put them back together. And after she has treated him, he would look like such a loser just going back to her. It wouldn't make sense, unless his character has been degraded to just "Rogue's Boyfriend" and he has SO much more potential than that. I've always seen Remy as the Catwoman of the Xmen - he's in it for himself and if that means he sides with the Xmen, great. If not, he'll turn. Granted, he hasn't been written this way in a VERY long time, but that's the Gambit I love :)
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Gambit

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Is there any chance of the team maybe being larger than we're seeing on the teaser image? Or perhaps a chance of the team growing, so maybe Gambit can find some...
"lost opportunities"? LOL!