For the Mrs. in the Cockrum Household

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
AjLombardi
Lubber
Lubber

Post by AjLombardi »

Mrs. Cockrum I hear you are a big fan of Magneto. So I'd like to make a present of a sketch of him for you. I'm no where the fantastic artist that your Good husband is but i can find the right end of it sometimes. :) So I hope you enjoy this

StarChild
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Banned

Post by StarChild »

Wow...incredible job, AJ! Unfortunately another board member did three posts and bumped your gift to Paty to the fifth position on the board! Hopefully by doing this I can pump it back up where Paty can notice it!

Mary

Ah, yes...lover at heart and along comes the ultimate romantic! Fox hunt ala Nightcrawler
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Post by Paty »

:magneto
slobber...drool...lick, lick, lick...
OK...now that I have washed the screen of my computer with my tongue...

Seriously, This is lovely...are you thinking of getting into the biz? starchild has shown me some Nighty sketches you have done and they are very professional...do you think in sequential art format? LOL...pencillers must be storytellers and think in sequential art format in comics... as in movie storyboarding, which pays a hell of a lot btter!

And, for cry eye... call me Paty! Mrs. Cockrum sounds so stuffy! Even when I taught art, I hated being called Mrs...anything! It was Greer back in those days... and I hated it then, too... I am Paty...nothing more, nothing less.

I wonder about the shading on Magneto's forhead. Is it, perhaps a comment on his "dark side"? or is it dramatic lighting? If the latter, then the lighting should be reflective on the rest of his face, because only Nightcrawler has the velvet nap to have a dark forhead when the rest of his skin is in full light. this is just the kind of observation I would ask you if I were your art teacher... The art teacher in me is very strong, and I like to get inside the heads of artists to understand why they do certain things in their art. this effect struck me as a Nightcrawler effect rather than a Magneto effect...that's all. with the eyes blanded out, it resembled Kurt in Mags' duds... but the white hair gave lie to that possibility...So I would like to know your thoughts on this.
He does, however look positively yummy!!!

Thanks mucho!
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

I agree! A very nice job!

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
AjLombardi
Lubber
Lubber

Post by AjLombardi »

Great Praise indeed,

Paty and Dave I'm glad you both like it.
Paty to answer your questions.

The shading on the forehead is due to lighting effect that willbe on the figure. I plan on coloring it and doing some digital effects to the piece. I'm just planning ahead for the image i see in my minds eye. Yes i do give thought to entering into the comic industry. Even did my rounds at the conventions and subitting to various companies when i was a bit younger.
Due to life happening i had to put it on hold ( kiddies came along).
I do think in sequentials yes . Have a few old samples online. I do graphic design amoung other things to make ends meet right now. I'm attempting to do up some new samples to submit and work work up some storyboard samples. to broaden my profolio. oh wow I got long winded sorry :)

Thank you both for the kind words. Paty If you are interested I'll post some of my Sequentials . I don't want to just do so without asking first.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

From what I have seen, Paty always is a reliable source of spot-on constructive (and usually kindly delivered) criticism.

Paty, I can relate to not liking being called "Mrs." In my dance class, my students call me Valerie. Only the little ones call me Mrs. Finnigan, which I'll accept, because it's adorable coming from them. (And the really little ones call me "teeee-cher" or even Mommy!)

AJ, wonderful Mags. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
StarChild
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by StarChild »

Angel...you posted three times...were you having hiccups?

AJ...now you have it from the art teacher's mouth, and if someone like the ultimate Magneto fan says she loves your stuff, you can bank on it being good!

Ah, yes...lover at heart and along comes the ultimate romantic! Fox hunt ala Nightcrawler
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

My 'puter was hickupping.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

AJ - will you post the final version?
http://lady_erin.livejournal.com
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Want to IM me? U2U me for the screenname.
AjLombardi
Lubber
Lubber

Post by AjLombardi »

Ladyerin i plan on posting it. I've been a bit set back working on a commision piece but definately i will post the finished product.
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

Originally posted by AjLombardi
Ladyerin i plan on posting it. I've been a bit set back working on a commision piece but definately i will post the finished product.
Wonderful! But take your time. No rush. :whistle
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
AjLombardi
Lubber
Lubber

Post by AjLombardi »

here is what held me up Lady Erin
StarChild
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by StarChild »

My only critique with this is that the mask is a little off! And I think they were really waiting for the Magneto drawing, AJ! Otherwise, good job!

[Edited on 4/5/06 by StarChild]

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I think it's more the way the image was skewed. Nice work, AJ, from one of our resident Star Wars geeks!

StarChild
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by StarChild »

Hmmm...you may be right, Angel! He did say he had to shrink it a bit! It might have gotten squashed some!

fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

That vadar ROCKS AJ - I love expecially how you have the scale of his body turned like that with the hand in the foreground - that is hard to do!!!

AWESOME!!!

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

Oh wow...That's really nice! I like how the lightsaber looks translucent.

I'm going to go sit and be jealous of your talent now. ;)
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Upshots are usually difficult and in this one you have the main body mass going away from us in perspective while you have the right hand coming towards us, which creates it's own problems in foreshortening...
All of which are handled fairly well. Then you throw in the upshot...LOL... so the perspective is from someone sitting on the ground... or sssliced down by the Dark Lord? heh heh...

I liked Vader until they ruined him in the third movie... part six in the regular counting... this three movies here and three previous chapters later is so damn confusing as to real count... sigh... There are times I really hae Lucas...

I used to have a statue of Vader on my dashboard. One day I was driving on the Northern State Parkway, going from our house in Commack, LI, to NYC.. It was early morning and no one was on the road but me...well... except that hoard of bikers coming up sharply from the rear. Gulp...
The first biker... a realllll nasty looking dude and his dudess... came up beside me. The dudess looked over and saw Darth on the dashboard...yelled something to the dude and he took a long hard look at it. then he gave me a thumbs up and yelled something to the dudess. She turned around and waved to the sixty or so other bikers. she pointed to my car and gave a thumbs up. the dude thumbs upped me again and I thumbs upped him back and he moved on. One by one the bikers came by me, looked in , saw Darth on the dashboard and thumbs upped me.. and I returned the salute. Sixty or so bikers... on their way west... and me in my little green Datsun B210, affectionately named "the Green Gecko" after a whimsical creation of Dave's...
Darth protected my car for years... even in bad sections of Brooklyn and Queens. Two weeks after they debunked him and turned him to the light side, my tires got ripped off...sigh... Never send a goodie to do a baddie's job!!!
LOL
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

Originally posted by Paty
Darth protected my car for years... even in bad sections of Brooklyn and Queens. Two weeks after they debunked him and turned him to the light side, my tires got ripped off...sigh... Never send a goodie to do a baddie's job!!!
LOL
Paty
*gigglesnort*

Paty...somehow...not surprised!
Cause you know...sometimes, they just have to *fear* the repercusions. And a good guy? Meh. Less afraid.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

heh...yeah...
After the first Lord of the rings movie, I had a Nazgul figure on my dashboard... this was after Darth had lost his "oomph"...lol
and the nazgul did a good job, too...
One day I was driving down our road and saw a neighbor that had just moved into a house down the road...so I stopped to introduce myself and invite him to join the fire company... cuz we always needed warm bodies up there...LOL. the guy sees the nazgul on the dash board and his eyes pop. what's THAT? sez he
A Nazgul, I responded. his look of utter incomprehension was priceless.
"It's a character in a classic English fantasy adventure...the Lord of the rings" sex I...
Oh, he nods wisely...OK...Just so it isn't a demon!

I didn't enlighten him and thankfully he never joind the fire company...LOL I think the whole familly got busted for durgs...LOL
Demon, indeed. I never sent an angel to do a demon's work...and protecting the car isn't angel's work...you gotta fight fire with fire...
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA
Darth on the dashboard was stil my fave until I found a statue of the right size of Magneto... which has adorned my cars for years... even to fading to pink and lavender. Right now, the statue is inside for repainting...LOL
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by Paty
Darth on the dashboard was stil my fave until I found a statue of the right size of Magneto... which has adorned my cars for years... even to fading to pink and lavender. Right now, the statue is inside for repainting...LOL
Paty
Well, make sure nothing bad happens while you're unprotected then. ;)
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

LOL... we moved from badness to goodness. We live in south Carolina now...I don't even lock the car when it is sitting in my driveway these days...LOL...the crime rate around here is virtually negligible... just like it was in the Catskills back in the sixties, when I first went there. At that time we could leave the cars not only unlocked, but leave the keys in the ignitions for late night fire calls... and no one bothered them. Then it got dicier... and finally, you just didn't leave the keys in your car even if it was parked at your house!

LOL... the days of innocence... But this area is very like that kind of ambience... very little crime and the cops are usually right on it. May have something to do with not living near a big city like NYC, too... but i shall take care until Mags is safely back on my dash!

LOL
Paty
:mags
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

ahem...
I don't care if it pours down snow
As long as I got my plastic Magneto
Ridin' on the dashboard of my car...

I don't care if it storms or showers
Long as I got the Magnetic Powers
Ridin' on the dashboard of my car...

oops... does that belong in the "filk" thread???
LOL

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
StarChild
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by StarChild »

Ahhh...they'll settle for Vader! Paty's back in town! Woo-hoo!

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

That was funny. However, I might settle for a "sabrist on board" bumber sticker.