GONE AWAY

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

GONE AWAY

Post by Dark Bamf »

FYI: Paty and I are leaving Wednesday, June 7th and will be out of touch for a week. Paty's oldest boy, Phil, is getting married (his first, at the ripe age of 39) and we're returning to New York to witness this miracle. This requires some tricky logistics; I have to have two dialysis sessions up there, and we have to arrange oxygen supplies as well. Pain in the ass--

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

GONE AWAY

Post by Slarti »

Have fun! Be careful! Don't forget to lock the back door! Or turn off the coffee pot....don't leave the water running....it's fun to leave home!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

GONE AWAY

Post by Angelique »

Have a safe, fun trip, a fun, safe return, and congrats to Phil, too!
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

GONE AWAY

Post by Dark Bamf »

Originally posted by Slarti
Have fun! Be careful! Don't forget to lock the back door! Or turn off the coffee pot....don't leave the water running....it's fun to leave home!
I'm not so sure, when it's the sort of production I have to have just to make the trip. It'll be interesting, anyway--Phil's havin a '70s theme wedding. I'm wearing a dashiki. I considered wearing an afro wig to go with it, but Paty nixed that. What the hell, SHE wanted to go in full Klingon regala, but Phil shot that down. :LOL Anyway, I ought to be quite a sight, putting around on The Whizzer, my yellow and black power scooter.

Phil once attended a Braveheart theme wedding. Everybody went in kilts, and with blue face paint. Phil borrowed a couple of my swords (I have a bit of a collection) and loaned one to a buddy of his. During a drinking song, this buddy started pounding the sword point down on the floor, and wound up putting it through his big toe. Phil looked at him and he looked back, and said 'I can't believe what I just did!'

Ain't weddings fun? :LOL

[Edited on 7-6-2006 by Dark Bamf]

[Edited on 7-6-2006 by Dark Bamf]
--Atilla's Hunny
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

GONE AWAY

Post by Panz »

Happy wedding wishes to Phil, I hope ya have a Groooovy time :LOL
Have a fun safe trip guys.
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

GONE AWAY

Post by Dark Bamf »

We're just back. It was unbelievable! More tomorrow, but we're all beat and we're gonna crash! :LOL

--Atilla's Hunny
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

GONE AWAY

Post by Angelique »

Glad to hear you got there and back again safely!
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

GONE AWAY

Post by Saint Kurt »

I'm glad you had a fun trip. I can't wait to hear about it.

-e
SamKarns
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

GONE AWAY

Post by SamKarns »

Please, Dave, give us details it must have been a blast full of laughs!
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

GONE AWAY

Post by Dark Bamf »

Ok, first of all, let me say it was a dynamite event, in spite of the weather. There were some great '70s theme outfits. Barb, John & I wore dashikis, and Paty had a great caftan. One of Paty's nephews wore a gold lame'/tiger-striped jacket, 4-inch platforms (and he was already 6'5"!), a huge afro, bling-blings, and a gold tooth! There were at least three afros. Keri (the bride)'s dad showed up unexpectedly in John Travolta's outfit from Saturday Night Fever. Keri was so surprised she burst into tears. There were thigh-high boots and platforms everywhere. Even Phil's dad--who's a bit of a stick in the mud (and honest, I like the guy) wore a purple shirt and black-and-white harlequin-checked tie.

The wedding was to be held on the shore of Orange Lake in Newberg, NY. Phil has this great apartment that has a huge back lawn that slopes down to the lake, where there are boat docks and jettys. Phil was going to cross the lake in a pontoon boat (this is a BIG lake) to meet Keri and the minister on the near shore. Later, the reception was to be in a tent on Phil's dad's property. But this is where the WEATHER comes in.

The weatherman had been predicting a 30% chance of rain, plus high winds and temperatures in the '40s. Well, the rain held off, but the wind hit in force. Keri was gorgeous in a shoulderless white gown with acres o white skirt, but when the wind hit she looked like a galleon under full sail! It was all she could do to keep from being blown into the lake. Meanwhile, Phil's boat kept being blown back from the pier!! The boat's pilot finally got it close enough that Phil ws able to scramble ashore. They said some short vows, and then--the best man dropped the ring in the grass!

After a short scramble to retrieve tghe ring, Phil couldn't get it on Keri's finger! He even tried licking her finger! She finally grabbed it anc twisted it past her knuckle. Meanwhile, the entire crowd is howling!

Fortuntely, for the reception, hey'd added clear walls with archways onto the tent--which was big enough for a small circus--and that at least cut the wind. They had a live band and a hard dance floor laid on the grass. There was a huge barbecue pit where they were cooking turkey and a side of beef right on the spot. Waiters with trays of appetizers roamed through the crowd. Later on, after we left, they had a bonfire and shot off fireworks. I'm told the party ran on until about 3:30am.

In order for me to get around, we'd brought my black-and-ydllow power scooter, 'the Whizzer'. John--Barb's boyfriend--parked me in a chair at our table and then took the Whizzer away, threatening to sell rides on it. This is a threat I took seriously, be cause one of Phil's fireman buddies had already asked what kind of speed I got out of it. :LOL Later on, John pointed suddenly and said 'Hey, I just saw a kid go by on the Whizzer!', then laughed uproariously when I did a double take to make sure it was still parked where it was supposed fo be.

Unfortunately, the cold was getting to us old farts--especially me. I was wearing THREE shirts and two jackets, and I was STILL shivering and freezing my buns off! So, shortly after dinner we said our congratulations and farewells and made a break for the warmth of the motel. And I manged to retrieve the Whizzer with a minimum of extra mileage on it.

One jarring note--shortly before we left the motel for the wedding, Paty flushed the toilet and it overflowed! Fortunately, she's a fast thinker--she turned off the water to the toilet and threw towels down, then called the desk and repoted the problem. 'Uhh...' came the reply, 'do you want a plunger?'

'No, I want a PLUMBER!' she said. 'We're about to leave for a wedding! I want you to get someone in here!'

When we got back from the wedding some three hours later, to get ready for the reception...you guessed it, the toilet still hadn't been fixed. Paty blew her stack. She went to ghe front desk and read the clerk the riot act. He gave us a different room. And as far as we know, the toilet STILL hasn't been fixed.

On the other hand, the ice in the motel's ice-maker was so delicious I couldn't stop eating it (I'm addicted to chewing ice) and I put on about ten extra pounds in water weight.

On the whole, though, it was a great trip--and the first vacation Paty and I have had in about 20 years. I'll post pictures as soon as Barb gets me some.

[Edited on 15-6-2006 by Dark Bamf]

[Edited on 15-6-2006 by Dark Bamf]
--Atilla's Hunny
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

GONE AWAY

Post by Angelique »

Wow! Sounds like you had fun. And as for the motel- go, Paty!

Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

GONE AWAY

Post by Paty »

:magneto
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAA
Paty does GO!!! Dave forgot to tell you that the motel, whichlooks like a lovely little place on the outside, had no small fridges in which we could keep Dave's insulin and I spent every day refurbishing the ice chest... so I was not in the best of moods with the people in charge. The housekeeping staff was delightful and helpful... but the desk keepers didn't have a clue! and I let them know it. You wanna see them turn ten shades of pale when I reamed them new anal orifices.
Do I need a plunger... INDEED!!! aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!

pHIL'S WEDDING WAS A BLAST AND WILL BE REMEMBERED INTO POSTERITY AS ONE OF THE BEST EVER! tOK HIM LONG ENOUGH TO GET AROUND TO IT, THOUGH.. SIGH...
SO HERE WE ARE, BACK IN SUNNY BELTON, WHERE IT IS AT LEAST warm!!! i TOLD pHIL "nO WINTER WEDDINGS..." AND i KNOW HE TRIED TO COMPLY... BUT WE NEARLY FROZE OUR BUNS OFF.
oops.. sorry for the caps... Magnus is being finicky today...sigh...

Anyway... it was lotsa fun but I never want to go back to NY!!! I mean it! I have acclimated to SC very nicely... so I told Phil and my other son, Loren, to come south for visits. Which is what i had to do with my mom... go south to visit her in Maryland...from NY. So it runs in the family...LOL

All told, we are glad to be back and the trip was a blast in spite of the weather and recalcitrant toilets...

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020