Claremont to return to Nightcrawler!

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Claremont to return to Nightcrawler!

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Is Claremont penning a Nightcrawler series!? I sure as heck hope so!
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Re: Claremont to return to Nightcrawler!

Post by Angelique »

I'm so hoping it doesn't have a release date of April 1.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I started a thread in the Marvel comic section... feel free to combine the two...

I am super pumped about this :)
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Marvel's Q&A on the new NIGHTCRAWLER ONGOING SERIES by Claremont!

I really think Dave would've been pleased with this decision.
:<
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Dave would also really really love the current Amazing X-Men series, I think. Really respectful of Kurt's personality, as his creator saw him. Great time to be a Nightcrawler fan... AT LAST !!!!!!!!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Spoke to Paty. Her reaction was, "Yay! I'm buying Marvel comics again!"
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

"NIGHTCRAWLER will follow our hero and Wolverine as they drive across this radically altered mutant landscape, and hopefully right some wrongs along the way."
This sounds so fun!! My wife and I are fans of the show Supernatural, so if this has any of the fun buddy feel I think it will, I am gonna be more than pleased...

Also, it's great to hear that Paty approves and while I love the religious aspect of Nightcrawler, I am so glad they aren't using it as his defining characteristic like they did before his death...
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Hmm, yeah, I was kind of wary of this at first because... well... I remember his last run on the X-books and it was what made me stop buying them, frankly. Soooo, this description sounds fun and I hope it pans out as good as it sounds! I'll definitely give it a shot anyway.
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

Well I know :) was coming back and was duly pleased but....Holy Cow!
A Wolverine and Nightcrawler buddy comic?
*fist pump* called it! and I wasn't even being serious! woo hoo!

Quick! someone get me a time machine so I can go back to 2007 and not-seriously get a lottery ticket :cracked

Funny though, I often pictured how Wolvie and Nightcrawler would come to terms about everything that happened (before and) after his death.

I imagined it something like a 9 panel page, Rachel or someone in the foreground, breaking the news to (well, I suppose,) Kitty, while in the background as a counterpoint Kurt and Logan are discussing things - no dialogue, just body language.

In panels 1-3, Logan would be explaining things to Kurt, his body language would be stubborn, straight backed, resolute. :) would at first react with shock, leaning back, but then leaning forward, obviously asking (demanding?) a question, to which Logan would look away, fists clenched, perhaps with a jaw jutting out.
Panels 4-5 would have Kurt making some kind of statement or comment, on what the X-men (both branches) have been doing, to which Logan responds angrily, fists cocked, he's ready for a fight. The last panels (6 and 7) would be a denouement; Kurt using open hand gestures and body language, one arm reaching out for his friend in a "I cannot condone or permit, but I do understand" sort of thing while Logan's body language is a more "C**p, what have I been doing?" as the weight of the last few crossovers begin to sink in from talking to his friend, no longer straight backed or resolute, eyes wide, looking down as he massages his brow with one hand, the other, by his side, relaxed.

The 8th panel is a Manly-bro-hug as the two friends begin to reconcile. ( :) "Beer?" :logan "Beer")

In the 9th panel we see Kitty Pryde curled up in a ball, crying, a telephone at her feet. Relief? Joy? Pain? Perhaps some combination thereof?

That's how i tend to imagine it anyway, (and wow it was more detailed than I thought, writing it out) but hey! I'll take a series thankyouveddymuch! :D
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I contacted Todd Nauck via Twitter, and he stated the comic comes out on April 9th. He also called it "Nightcrawler 1", so I asked him to clarify the name (since in the previews book it is titled X-Men Legacy 1). He said it's one of those two and that we'd know for sure on April 9th. What a tease...
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I thought one of the posts I put up about this had a conversation about Kurt's title being batted around the office as just a set up for an X-Men Legacy reboot but they decided to just settle with a solo title to give the character the treatment he deserves.

Which would make sense as he was being advertised heavily with the Inhumanity promos set for comics coming out around this time.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Some Preview stuff!

Lookin' good!
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Haha! I was wondering what animal Nightcrawler would be drawn as, considering he is so animalistic already. Being depicted as a nightcrawler is just too funny!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

It's already been done. you haven't seen it? Good guess!

I like this one better though...

Image Iron Fist no.001
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Lookit dat variant art:

Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I think the face is all wrong, but the bamf and costume are spot on. Just one more variant to get...
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

For me, it's all in the nose. The costume, tail, bamf, and Bamfs are all pretty great... but the style is notably grittier. And pencily...

Is that Magik?
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

The bamfs are much too gorilla-ish for me. I agree about the nose. And I don't think that's Magik. Looks almost Asgardian...
sungila
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by sungila »

SERIOUSLY NIGHTSCRAWLERS!!! Are any of you on the CBR forums? I had NO idea there was so much anti-nightcrawler vitriol out there... I had no idea such a hatred could even exist! At first I was all :surprise but then I got :mad because I...well, I couldn't help but read through it and I started getting this horrible sinking feeling that THIS is what has become of the comic book fan base. It's not just mean-spirited...or stupid...it's worse... because these are creative, intelligent and passionate people who expend actual time and energy manufacturing hate for the sake of externalizing some sort of screwed up dysfunction of the heart that has resigned itself to apathy and cool 'i could gave a f**k' punksterism. Yuck! Here's a link to the poison http://forums.comicbookresources.com/sh ... ing-Series

I'm so angry I'm finger-tied, tongue-tied and positive, for now, that my silence on that board is the better part of valor because - i'm just too pissed.

It's all over the place in there!!! Is this who the predominant comic book community really is? I mean, I'm not all over the place reading forums and stuff, it's all sort of new to me...so, well, I had no idea people would spend so much time just spewing corrosive poo...why? What's the point of that?

I mean, is it a waste of time to even try and confront that sort of thing? Tell you what, after reading through that forum, all the Claremont and Aaron bashing...all the insane anti-Nightcrawler propaganda...I'm just confused.

Tell you one thing for sure!
I am soooo happy that Claremont is writing the new Nightcrawler title!!!
There's a lot at stake, for me, I'm really setting a high bar now...because I feel like this title (no matter how long its survives) has to rise above the snarky-droll apocalyptic nihilism of the scene and be something 'classic' something 'sure' and 'true' - something utterly swashbuckling - something that doesn't pander to the 'so hip to hate' crowd...something for the rest of us...something that doesn't compound our despair or harden our veins...something fantastic, amazing, astounding and alive.

April is a perfect month for Kurt's return. I'm gonna throw a party when that comic comes out! You're all invited! :D
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

had NO idea there was so much anti-nightcrawler vitriol out there... I had no idea such a hatred could even exist!
It's the internet -- where smaller voices seem louder because their likeminded idiocy can congregate.

I bet some of the Cyclops fans feel the same way if/when they creep 'round here though...
sungila
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by sungila »

Ult_Sm86 wrote: I bet some of the Cyclops fans feel the same way if/when they creep 'round here though...
:smirk

No. I don't think anybody here, at least not that I've seen, posts anything like what I read over there.
My fanfic and our ongoing Cyclops discussion was a whole different sort of deal - I guess somebody could choose to ignore the diplomacy, openness and general embracing quality of the threads here...focus on whatever they want...but it'd be a big stretch to suggest that Nightscrawlers is a place for hate and mean-spirit.
Ult_Sm86 wrote:It's the internet -- where smaller voices seem louder because their likeminded idiocy can congregate.
that's the truth...but I guess that can swing toward the good too.
i guess i just never thought 'Nightcrawler' would be a figure around whom such a group would congregate - it still surprises me.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

A lot of people see him as flat or underdeveloped.

Claremont will fix that. You'll see the fans slowly start to surround/outnumber those who are against him.

I'll tell ya, the Wolverine hate-club is slowly growing though. Makes me wonder if Marvel should be pushing his friendship with Kurt so hard in this series coming up...
sungila
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by sungila »

It'd be a better world if CC didn't have be so deferential and humble, a world in which he didn't have to 'earn' his place and bridle his gifts to the emo-X, gotta fuel the epic crossover, bow-to-THE-BENDIS Marvel Now regime...but it's a pretty good world anyway...and having CC come full circle with Kurt (a guy he always meant to give proper dues only to be forced, or pressured, to abandon him mid or prerealization) is something for which I'm genuinely grateful ...so, I've been trying to express my gratitude with hopeful positivity - which is difficult.

CC's candid honesty, his realistic approach to his & Nauck's 'Nightcrawler' are good signs for me. He touches upon so many of the misgivings and frustrations that I have with the today's X-Men. For decades writers have mainlined despair, ennui and brooding perpetual tragedies into Claremont's characters - until they (like Kurt) become so poisoned with contrary 'goofball' inconsistencies that they lay to waste in in the background until they can be heaved up for a sacrificial death...which is more like a mercy kill...because the death doesn't make an impact in the steel cool industrial desolation of X books.

Claremont once 'saved' Kurt by putting him in a coma, letting the darkness he himself was involved in perpetuating (but it was good back then because it was Fall of the Mutants...it was the death and resurrection and growth of his vision) - and Kurt was left out of it - so that he and Excalibur could give vibrant life to the core of what Chris and the All New X-Men is about - not just survival...but transcendent hope, triumphant goodness, joy, fun, unity, love and family.

Kurt is a swashbuckling Bodhisattva. A man who is offered an end to personal suffering and eternal paradise but rejects that offer and chooses to live and fight again until all the suffering are free. It's an impossible task, yes... but those are Kurt's favorite odds... and it appears those are also Chirs Claremont's.
Ult_Sm86 wrote:A lot of people see him as flat or underdeveloped.

Claremont will fix that. You'll see the fans slowly start to surround/outnumber those who are against him.
Yea, like I said, he 'always intended to' fix' this. I don't know if fans who haven't been won over need to be. I don't think it's like that. Kurt just doesn't work as a 'Gambit' or a 'Cyclops' or a 'Pixie' or whatever it that so many writers have forced him to be...not this E-616 Kurt at least - when writer's stray from the demon-saint, the spiritual core of the team, the loving brother, the misfit idealist...the Kurt we know...they f**k it all up. I feel like nothing is really broken with Kurt...he's good as is. If the populous don't like or want that...it's their loss. If they don't like or want Claremont...it's an equal loss.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So I don't want to say I was disappointed, but I am certainly really curious why they went almost the exact opposite direction I was anticipating...

and they totally embraced the whole Amanda relationship. Ugh.