4/17 Instance: All's Wellies That Ends Wellies

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

4/17 Instance: All's Wellies That Ends Wellies

Post by Slarti »

Timelined a day and a trans-Atlantic flight after Separation Anxiety and Home Away From Home

<Jessica> It may have been over a year since they were last there but it still felt like coming home as they pulled up outside the house. It was a miserable day, cold and damp, but Jess hurried to open the front door with a smile on her face. Inside the house it was cold so she headed straight to switch the heating on – priorities.

<Shinobi> Shinobi grunted at the impact and closed his arms over the bag, then tipped his head back to look up at the sky. "Maybe we should get the bags when it stops raining?"

<Shaw> Sebastian moved to the trunk of the company car and started unloading bags, tossing one to Shinobi with a faint smile.

<Hope> Hope made a face at the precipitation as she closed the car door behind her. "You might melt!" Hope teased him, heading for the door.

<Jessica> The pipes made some interesting noises, probably protesting at their long dormant state, but the heating kicked on and she smiled, heading back out out to help with the luggage.

<Shinobi> "I might." Although after the flight he could use a shower. He smirked at her and grabbed one of her bags as well before starting for the door himself.

<Hope> Hope smirked back, moving to glance inside the house.

<Shaw> Sebastian looked up at the old brick house. It was just as they'd left it, he thought, distracted when Jessica returned. "Is all well inside?"

<Jessica> "Yes but it's like a fridge in there so I put the heating on," she moved to collect a bag, from the car.

<Hope> "It feels great!" Hope called out, disappearing inside.

<Shinobi> "Holy shit, it's freezing in here!" He put the bags inside the door and looked around.

<Hope> "Wuss," Hope laughed, flicking on some lights. "Why does it seem just... dark in this country?"

<Shaw> Sebastian dropped off his own load and went back outside to help his wife. "Should we call Drake and Miss Guthrie when we get inside?"

<Jessica> "Because it's raining, it's not so bad when it's sunny..." Jess rolled her eyes a little, "Yes, let them know we've arrived in one piece."

<Hope> "It's raining?! What?! No way!" Hope was already pulling out her phone to tweet.

<Shinobi> "They did have the dark ages here, after all." He joined her in what looked like a living room and slid his arms around her from behind.

<Hope> Hope took a selfie with Shinobi while she had the phone out, then shoved it into her pocket. She slid her arms over his and smiled. She still hated England.

<Shaw> "Would you like to do the honors or shall I?" He ignored the children, instead going to get the rest of the bags and lock the car.

<Jessica> "You can, I'll get all this upstairs and put the kettle on..." She blew him a kiss and headed inside to do that.

<Shinobi> "Not that the weather is too enticing today, but I wonder if we'll have the opportunity to see anything outside of the Hellfire Club?" He nuzzled into Hope's hair.

<Hope> "I can probably get us into Buckingham Palace," she offered, turning to kiss him softly.

<Shaw> Sebastian slung the last strap over his shoulder and looked at the car parked none too subtly just down the road from his own. David sat there, either pretending to be engrossed with his phone or speaking to Washington, he supposed. The man was odd.

<Shinobi> "Hmm... should I keep you away from Harry? Hashtag ginger club?" He grinned into the kiss.

<Hope> "Definitely," she grinned back, leaning up to kiss the tip of his nose. "I didn't even tell him I was coming. We should go to a pub. The one good thing about this island is the pub food."

<Jessica> "And you'd know allll about that," Jess laughed on her way back down the stairs, bag free.

<Shinobi> "Pubs or gingers?" Realizing he should probably help her, he reluctantly let go of Hope and went to pick up some bags.

<Jessica> "Hope and pubs. Funny story: Hope can't catch a train properly."

<Hope> "Nope. Another reason why I hate this island. I have to call people for help from another continent."

<Shinobi> "That seems inconvenient." He laughed, starting up the stairs with a load of bags.

<Jessica> "It was an adventure for me," Jess took the clothes meant for the Hellfire Club event carefully up the stairs.

<Hope> "Rather. I mean, when you show up in the news in your nighty... I guess that seems really not a big deal now," Hope laughed, thinking back. "That was before I was Hope Stark."

<Jessica> "And no one even remembers that was you," Jess called down.

<Hope> "I'm sure some people do!" Hope protested, smirking. "I was still hot. Not the point though."

<Jessica> "Well, whatever you do, don't remind them by accident." She passed them and headed to the kitchen to put the kettle on, "I assume you all want coffee?"

<Shinobi> Upstairs, he realized he had no idea where he should put the bags, so dropped Hope's and went looking for where Jess had taken hers and his father's baggage.

<Hope> "Didn't plan on it," Hope plopped down in a chair. "Coffee sounds awesome!"

<Jessica> "Do you think David will want anything...?" She chewed her lip, feeling bad that he was still outside.

<Hope> "David can take care of himself," Hope pointed out.

<Shinobi> He made another realization when he climbed the second flight of stairs and found the master bedroom - there were only two bedrooms in the house. Smirking, he went back down to the second floor and picked up Hope's bag, taking it to the only other option available.

<Jessica> Jess frowned at Hope's comment, deciding to bring David some tea anyway and give him directions to the shops.

<Shaw> Sebastian had already had a brief conversation with Agent Sum, and was now walking around the house to the back garden, ensuring everything was in order and to get a bit of privacy to make some calls.

<Jessica> Busying herself with the tea and coffee, Jess made a list of things she'd need to get from the shops in her head and took inventory of the cupboards.

<Shinobi> He made another trip carrying luggage and decided he'd completed his good deed for the day. "Did someone say coffee?" he said, joining the women in the kitchen and pulling up a chair beside Hope.

<Hope> "Jess always makes sure there's coffee. Sorry nobody drinks your tea." Hope hit sent on her post, then shoved her phone away again.

<Jessica> "In this country, tea is the norm. You lose."

<Shinobi> "I drink it sometimes," he pointed out. "I just like coffee better." Leaning, he bumped her shoulder with his own.

<Hope> Hope raised an eyebrow at Jess, bumping Shinobi with her shoulder. "Because coffee is better."

<Jessica> "You know I don't not drink coffee because I don't like the taste, right?" She sorted out David's tea in a travel mug and put the lid on then headed for the front door again.

<Shinobi> "No arguments here," he laughed. Curiously, he watched Jess go.

<Hope> "Definitely," Hope smirked. With Jess gone, she took the moment to steal a kiss from Shinobi. "So what do you think so far?"

<Shinobi> He caught the back of her head with his hand and lingered in the kiss. "Of? England is damp."

<Hope> "And the house. Everything." She nuzzled his cheek.

<Shaw> His first call was not to check on Miriam, but to ensure everything was in order for the ceremony the next night. Ignoring the misty rain, he circled the house, inspecting it.

<Shinobi> "I guess Jess grew up here," he said, looking around the kitchen before turning his attention back to Hope. A wicked smirk curled his lips. "Also... I guess there are only two bedrooms."

<Hope> "Yeah, guess so," Hope looked around the kitchen, her eyes darting back to him immediately when he made that announcement. "Really now?" She smirked at him, sliding closer.

<Shaw> "Really. It looks like they're using the other one for an office." He grinned. "I put your bags in the bedroom..."

<Jessica> Directions and tea given and offers of free dinners made, Jess headed back to the house before the rain intensified and closed the door behind her to keep the heat in and the draught out.

<Hope> Hope considered this. Just don't mention it. Maybe they didn't think about it.

<Shaw> I'll be in shortly, love. Miriam is fine, and I just have another call to make, to Monet. He'd heard her come out, and wandered to the side of the house to watch her interact with Sum and go back inside. Always the altruist.

<Shinobi> If they did, I'll be on the sofa, or maybe even in the car. His tone was teasing and he reached to rest his hand on her thigh beneath the table.

<Hope> The car has definite possibilities. Hope gave him a wicked grin and a flash of idea.

<Shinobi> That was a great idea, and his fingers tightened on her leg.

<Jessica> Okay, there's coffee when you're done. She headed back into the kitchen to collect her own tea. "So... what do you two want to do for dinner this evening?"

<Hope> Distracted by Shinobi, Hope barely registered Jess' question, barely managing to respond in time. "Dinner? Oh um. Hadn't thought about it."

<Shinobi> He straightened but left his hand in place, smiling at Jess. "Well, we're in your neighborhood. What do you recommend?"

<Jessica> "Well I could cook... or you could sample a British staple. Up to you."

<Hope> Hope glanced at Shinobi. "What do we want to do?"

<Shinobi> "What British staple?" He widened his eyes at Hope. Aren't the British famous for terrible food?

<Hope> Depends on what you get. Some things are safe. Fish and chips, bangers and mash... just have to know what you're doing. We have a cheat code known as Ask Jess what that is. If she won't tell us, google. She smiled at him, glancing back at Jess for the answer.

<Jessica> "I was thinking we could go to the chip shop down the road... or I could make something else if you don't fancy that."

<Shinobi> "Fries, right?" The one time he'd been in London for, uh, work, he'd not had the time to explore.

<Jessica> She nodded, "Yeah... well sort of... they're cut thicker than fries."

<Hope> "Chip shop sounds great actually," Hope grinned.

<Shinobi> "That sounds good to me then," he agreed, squeezing her leg and enjoying her enthusiasm.

<Hope> Hope stole a smile at him, placing her hand over her's on her leg.

<Jessica> "Alright then, fish and chips it is... after a trip to the supermarket for perishables."

<Shinobi> I like how excited you get, he sent with a smirk, turning his hand to intertwine their fingers. "Sounds like a plan." Should he ask about the bedroom?

<Hope> She rested her head against him on his shoulder, squeezing his hand. You have that effect on me. "Shopping? Score!"

<Shinobi> Same. He smiled, glancing at the top of her head and her wild red hair. "I don't think she means that kind of shopping," he laughed, looking back up at Jess.

<Hope> "I know, I know. But shopping is shopping. You can always find something interesting," she laughed a little.

<Shinobi> "Like a really interesting can of peas?"

<Hope> "British candy," Hope just grinned.

<Jessica> "Yes! And biscuits! I'm stocking up."

<Shinobi> "Are British peppermints really different from American?" He laughed, shaking his head and resting his cheek on her head.

<Jessica> "Real sugar!"

<Hope> "Yes. Yes they are. Also better chocolate." Hope squeezed his hand, smiling at Jess. "See? Jess knows."

<Jessica> "I do know. American candy is vile."

<Hope> "It's not so bad... just that British candy is better." Hope shrugged a bit.

<Shinobi> "Hey. There's nothing wrong with American candy." He gave Hope a look. Traitor.

<Hope> You're some American candy, Hope just grinned. "I can't help it. They use real sugar, like Jess said. It tastes better."

<Shinobi> It was so unexpected he nearly choked on a laugh.

<Jessica> "Soooo much better... we'll just have to educate you."

<Shinobi> "So, if it turns out you're a closet fan of cookies and candy, why don't we ever have any back in Boston?" He recovered enough to give Jess a questioning eyebrow.

<Jessica> "Because it's not the same!"

<Jessica> "And they're called biscuits."

<Shinobi> "I've had biscuits. They're floury things with butter on them," he said with a nod.

<Jessica> Jess shook her head, "Not in this country."

<Hope> Hope just laughed at them. "This country thinks they are right about everything," Hope pointed out.

<Jessica> "Because it's older than yours," Jess pointed out.

<Hope> "And we kick your ass in a war, soooo.... there's that."

<Shinobi> "You also call the trunk of the car the boot, so you're a confused country." He slid his leg out from beneath the table, raised it, and wriggled his foot. "See, boot."

<Jessica> "The word 'trunk' has other uses too you know," she rolled her eyes.

<Hope> "History began in 1776. Everything before that was a mistake."

<Shinobi> "Yeah, big wooden things. You keep blankets in them." He smirked. "Or bodies."

<Hope> "Both are used for storing bodies," Hope snickered.

<Shinobi> "Well, that's true," he admitted, cocking his head.

<Jessica> "It's also part of a tree... or an elephant."

<Hope> "Is there a reason you think we don't know this?" Hope smirked at Jess.

<Jessica> "Your assertions that it's the correct name for the boot of a car, I'm just making sure you realise other things were using the word before cars were invented."

<Hope> "Except it's the closest to an actual trunk. You know. Storage. Why would a boot even make sense?"

<Shinobi> "Yeah, there's pretty limited storage space in there." He pretended to stare at his own boot in thought.

<Jessica> "Because in the olden days they were used to rest feet on and were on the sides of carriages. Later on they were moved to the back and used as storage but still called boots. What do they teach people in school?"

<Shinobi> His nose wrinkled. "Not that."

<Jessica> "Obviously," she laughed a little, shaking her head, "I'm going get changed into something more weather proof... if you're coming with me to the shops, you should do the same."

<Hope> "Like a raincoat?" Hope asked with a smile.

<Jessica> "And wellies if you want to be authentic," Jess took her tea with her up the stairs.

<Shinobi> Now that he thought about it, the outside was wet and cold. Yech.

<Hope> "Soo... where did you stash our stuff?" Hope asked, finally moving to get up herself.

<Shinobi> "Well, your bags are in the room, mine are just outside it. Figured that was safer." He made a face and got up as well, finally tempted by the smell of the coffee. Grabbing two cups, he filled them up.

<Hope> Hope smiled as she watched him, moving to his side. "Great idea. Thanks. Always good for some coffee!"

<Shinobi> "I know." He slid her a cup and picked up his own, taking a careful sip. "Just one question."

<Hope> "What's that?" she asked, taking a sip of her own.

<Shinobi> "What the fuck are wellies?"