Ultimate X-Men General Discussion

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Me too! I laughed out loud. I'm totally going to think up something witty and stick it on that panel to use as an icon. I think it was Piotr's Hulk impression. "Colossus smash puny sandwich!"

Ditto - before I thought I'd stop reading Ultimate until Kurt rejoined the team or at least showed up again. But that scene with Piotr, as well as Bishop being so picky about who gets to be on the team, has me interested. Twenty imaginary bucks says the last member he's looking for is Psylocke.

Even though I like that Kurt believes killing is wrong no matter what and all that, I'm really happy that Ultimate Nightcrawler is not the same way. Obviously, he's killed before, and he can't call those deaths accidents as 616 Kurt can about Stefan's death. But Ultimate Kurt is so freed up for action by lifting that restraint. (And it was hot, too.) He doesn't like violence, but he does what he has to, or so his philosophy seems. (I'm a little weirded out that the Morlocks "kinged" him after he almost killed their former leader. But that's the Morlock way, isn't it? Beat the former leader, and then you become the new one!) When I first heard, months ago, that Kurt was going to end up in Morlock territory, I wrote a fanfic that never went anywhere in which Kurt became leader of the Morlocks, ran into Ultimate Cannonball, and had a little adventure with Sam and the Morlocks. I never once thought that was the road Marvel would really take. I think this is going to be very interesting though. Will he rise to the challenge, or will it beat him into nothingness!

Only annoying thing about this issue, aside from the weirdo zombie art, was the random panel with the Phoenix going "soon!" or whatever. Did we really need to be reminded that Jean's being assaulted by strange little green thingies?
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Feuerstein
Ditto - before I thought I'd stop reading Ultimate until Kurt rejoined the team or at least showed up again. But that scene with Piotr, as well as Bishop being so picky about who gets to be on the team, has me interested. Twenty imaginary bucks says the last member he's looking for is Psylocke.
Oh, of course. Has she been in Ultimate yet? They knew who she was so she must have been, but I don't remember.
Even though I like that Kurt believes killing is wrong no matter what and all that, I'm really happy that Ultimate Nightcrawler is not the same way. Obviously, he's killed before, and he can't call those deaths accidents as 616 Kurt can about Stefan's death. But Ultimate Kurt is so freed up for action by lifting that restraint. (And it was hot, too.) He doesn't like violence, but he does what he has to, or so his philosophy seems. (I'm a little weirded out that the Morlocks "kinged" him after he almost killed their former leader. But that's the Morlock way, isn't it? Beat the former leader, and then you become the new one!) When I first heard, months ago, that Kurt was going to end up in Morlock territory, I wrote a fanfic that never went anywhere in which Kurt became leader of the Morlocks, ran into Ultimate Cannonball, and had a little adventure with Sam and the Morlocks. I never once thought that was the road Marvel would really take. I think this is going to be very interesting though. Will he rise to the challenge, or will it beat him into nothingness!
Will we get to see it, or will it all happen offpanel! I hope we get to see it but that makes three teams we have to follow now.

It doesn't even matter that Sunder isn't dead. He meant to kill him. And oh oh he's so thoughtful (as in you can see the gears turning) and he's all like strategizing. Squee. He's really pulled himself together! I use italics when I'm excited. He's got a practical, Wolverine-like philosophy here. So hot. He's doing stuff! HE'S DOING STUUUUFFFFFFFF. Kirkman <3

You're actually supposed to kill the former leader, not just beat him (or her). Whoooooa what was up with Callisto's EYE????
Only annoying thing about this issue, aside from the weirdo zombie art, was the random panel with the Phoenix going "soon!" or whatever. Did we really need to be reminded that Jean's being assaulted by strange little green thingies?
If you were a Jean fan, wouldn't you like to see it? ;) It's like the glimpses of Kurt in the medlab, so I appreciate that the writer is holding all the threads together even if I don't give a damn about the Phoenix.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Yeah, last time she was there was when they had "parent's night" at the institute, and her parents very calmly explained that Betsy's soul had been somehow transferred into Kwannon's body, because Betsy's body was dying, Betsy wanted to live and Kwannon wanted to die, and all that.

It's so great. I won't mind following three teams if they so kindly let us follow the fate of the Morlocks. In any case, I am no longer stressed that we'll never see Kurt again. I guess potentially he could stay with the Morlocks forever and only show up when the X-men are involved random Morlock storylines, but I doubt that'll happen. We'll see him regularly again some day.

Yeah, how convenient Sunder didn't really die. But for those few seconds, he thought he'd really killed him, yet he kept his head about him. Totally awesome. Reminiscent of early Kurt, who may have been a side character but had a more aggressive side to him. Sometimes with 616 Kurt I wonder if he even belongs with the X-men. So what he can fight. He obviously doesn't like to. If he's going to remain the way he is now, maybe he should become a teacher. Though I am interested in what he's going to do in upcoming issues of UXM, because it looks like it's got the potential to be interesting.

I've always wondered what's behind the eye-patch. Now we know: a portal to the nether realms. HAHA. What if Jean had been sucked in? "Hey, whatever happened to Ultimate Jean?" "Oh, Callisto ate her. With her eyeball." So much cooler than [strike]eyes that punch[/strike] eyebeams.

Maybe Ultimate Morlocks have a different policy on leadership than 616 Morlocks. Or maybe they just think Kurt is that cool.

And ok ok, you're right. I should treat fans other characters the way I want them to treat me. -.-
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Yeah, last time she was there was when they had "parent's night" at the institute, and her parents very calmly explained that Betsy's soul had been somehow transferred into Kwannon's body, because Betsy's body was dying, Betsy wanted to live and Kwannon wanted to die, and all that.
Oi.

Yeah, how convenient Sunder didn't really die. But for those few seconds, he thought he'd really killed him, yet he kept his head about him. Totally awesome. Reminiscent of early Kurt, who may have been a side character but had a more aggressive side to him. Sometimes with 616 Kurt I wonder if he even belongs with the X-men. So what he can fight. He obviously doesn't like to. If he's going to remain the way he is now, maybe he should become a teacher. Though I am interested in what he's going to do in upcoming issues of UXM, because it looks like it's got the potential to be interesting.
The only reason he is still around is fan service. Or maybe the current writer wants to fix him and will actually succeed this time! Hope springs eternal.
I've always wondered what's behind the eye-patch. Now we know: a portal to the nether realms. HAHA. What if Jean had been sucked in? "Hey, whatever happened to Ultimate Jean?" "Oh, Callisto ate her. With her eyeball." So much cooler than [strike]eyes that punch[/strike] eyebeams.
I don't know what that was. She has (?) tentacle things for arms in 616 but that was something Masque did (according to Wikipedia) so who knows. I thought it was sort of cool, whatever the reasoning behind it. NO MY EEEYE
Maybe Ultimate Morlocks have a different policy on leadership than 616 Morlocks. Or maybe they just think Kurt is that cool.
They seem to be a little bit less organized/established. I don't know though, breaking someone's neck should count as a killing blow whether it kills them or not.
And ok ok, you're right. I should treat fans other characters the way I want them to treat me. -.-
I'm feeling generous with all the Kurt development we've gotten the last couple issues. We can spare two measly panels for Jean. Mood: deeply benevolent
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic

The only reason he is still around is fan service. Or maybe the current writer wants to fix him and will actually succeed this time! Hope springs eternal.
You never know what could happen.
They seem to be a little bit less organized/established. I don't know though, breaking someone's neck should count as a killing blow whether it kills them or not.
One would think. I'm forgetting how Storm got leadership over the Morlocks without killing Callisto though.
I'm feeling generous with all the Kurt development we've gotten the last couple issues. We can spare two measly panels for Jean. Mood: deeply benevolent
Keep it up at this pace, boys, and we'll let Jean have a whole page. :evil
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

One would think. I'm forgetting how Storm got leadership over the Morlocks without killing Callisto though.
Because she is so good and kind and wonderful. She had the knife at her throat but didn't put it in. She clearly won the fight, but there was still some discontent over her not finishing it. (Mostly from Callisto herself, I think.) Didn't she let Callisto go right back to leadering anyway? She just uses the "leadership" when it suits the plot, which makes her NOT the real leader as far as I'm concerned.

Ultimate Nightcrawler is the leader of the Morlocks. And, wow, he actually lives in the sewers with them. That's a leader.
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Ah, yes, that's how it was. In a way, Ult. Nightcrawler did the same thing. Only he really thought he killed the guy. But his speech afterward was Storm-worthy. XD

Yeh, Storm held the power for like two secs. I don't think she considers herself the "official" leader of the Morlocks who so "benevolently" lets Callisto lead in her place. I think she thinks this Morlock custom is silly and considers Callisto only has power, but it's Callisto and the Morlocks who keep that moment she beat Callisto in mind. (Erg, awkward sentence.) If Storm reclaimed leadership, it would be because Callisto is out of control, or out of the picture.

Kurt doesn't want to be an X-man! Which I think it's sort of funny - he was with them when he was the odd one, and now that he's fed up with that, there's Toad with the Institute and Pyro with the new X-men. Not that I'm complaining. I just find it ironic. ;)
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Yeah, I snorted a bit at the "ugly one" part. They have Toad to be the ugly, stinky one now.

Also pffft "Storm-worthy". :P Nightcrawler-worthy, maybe. It's almost like Excalibur again. (Except the art on Excalibur wasn't usually this bad.)
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

A real new Excalibur would totally rock! Morlockalibur. :naughty
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

She stabbed Callisto in the heart. There just happened to be a healer nearby who could patch it together again.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

(Erg, awkward sentence.)
Dude... pun intended or not? I just died laughing. ERG! Morlocks!

(link)
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

xD Unintended, but how cool is that. I'm getting Morlock vibes. Ooh!
kamizzi
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Encourager Extraodinaire

Post by kamizzi »

wow, Apocalypse.
I'm sarting to wonder what are they going to do with him how. I just hope anything stupid :/
:?
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Originally posted by kamizzi
I just hope anything stupid :/
Also rooting for stupid over here.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I believe Ultimate X-men has completely botched themselves up with giving kurt the Morlock "kingship." I understand Ultimate is a re-write of all the 616 characters. I know this because I'm a huuuuuge Ultimate fan. I crave Ult. SM, Ult's & once upon a time UXM. Nowadays though I'm disgusted with how they're changing the characters. Nightcrawler is a playful happy thing, NOT an emo "monster". Further more, and this is what disturbed me the most, Kurt would never condone hiding in sewers because of your mutation. He believes in everyone having the right to walk among the earth without persecution. He would never, EVER join the Morlocks.

If this is leading to Kurt having this epiphany, than that'll be totally different and I'll pick up the book again, but right now it seems UXM writers just want to focus (as always) on Jean, Logan, Scott, & X. I'm disappointed that it took a bunch of issues of Ultimate Spider-Man to get a decent Kitty Pryde story going.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Okay, I have to admit that I haven't followed Ultimate b/c I didn't like "nutjob Kurt." I have to deal with that in Real Life too much so I skipped the comics. Also, I only read whatever's in the library, so, no, I don't stay current as true believers do.

That said, there's one comment about Moorlock Kurt that might help it go down better, something to which you alluded, UltSpidey -- I know, as an old broad, that I am not the same as I was at 16 or 26 or 36 or 46. Ask any geezer and s/he will tell you of other paths taken in youth and self-discovery. Think of (Real Life) ol' Homer Hickam, whose science teachers in college warned him he'd never amount to anything in that field and he should stick to literature. Well, a few decades of developing rockets and stuff for NASA under his belt, he then did other things and ended up a novelist.

So, Kurt may need to hone his leadership and fighting skills in the sewers before "coming out," to co-opt an expression. I also felt a bit of revulsion at them hiding him in the dark (although he belongs there, comfort-wise), but maybe it's either (a) a need being filled for which he is custom-made, or (b) the beginnings of a fight for justice. Kinda like disabled people have had to fight to be accepted in mainstream society. (oops, my bandwagon is showing)

[Edited on 22/3/08 by Elfdame]
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Is anyone reading "Ultimate Comics: Ultimate X-Men"? I hear Kitty/Johnny/Rogue/Bobby are the only team members thus far and there's rumblings of Ultimate Nightcrawler coming back... but I thought he died?
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS