Uncanny 408

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Uncanny 408

Post by Slarti »

LOL, you guys are cracking me up with this Star Wars stuff!

But, isn't somebody getting whacked soon into the new writer's run? If so, then maybe Warren is Obi-Wan, because he may well be the next X-Man on the hit list.

Remember our old discussion? They won't kill Nighty -- he's in the movie. They sure won't kill Logan. Chamber's leaving the team. That leaves Bobby, Warren or Stacy. And didn't we see a preview cover with Warren all torn up?

I've got a bad feeling about this....
;)
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Uncanny 408

Post by Panz »

Yeah, poor Warren, maybe it was just a coloring error, but he must have been hit pretty hard, it knocked the blue right off him:eek:. But then again, Austen has said that Warren was going to be team leader

Im getting tired of people dying off.
Maybe he just said that to give us all something to angst about and to get people interested in seeing his run?

*sigh* poor Warren
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
Stormwatch
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Uncanny 408

Post by Stormwatch »

:laugh:

But Obi-Wan Kenobi, hmm, maybe thats Piotr. Well, he did sacrifice himself. And well, Was a big hand in Kurt Skywalker's life. And he is being remembered/seen again in Septemeber's Unlimited issue.

And yes, poor Warren, but Chuck also said he wants to keep Stacy. And I really don't want him to Kill Bobby. OR Northstar.

:eek:
:panther: 66 Bridges
:daredevil: 25 Cents of Time

But I DO have big teeth.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Uncanny 408

Post by Slarti »

Northstar! That's who I was forgetting! I knew something was off.

I agree about Peter. Even though he's been gone for more than a year now, the implications of his death are still being felt. His creepy yet comforting cameo in Wolverine and now in Unlimited show he's gone but not forgotten. I still think it's just a matter of time until he comes back though.

I worry about poor old Warren though. Austen won't kill Northstar, because he's specifically adding him. Nighty's safe, Stacy's safe. Egad that only leaves Bobby and Warren. Although, Warren's been thought dead before where I don't remember Bobby ever having that fun experience. Maybe it's Bobby's turn to go through the death phase?

I still vote for Warren though. He's probably being set up as team leader so he can have some great hero's death. And then Nighty would probably be bumped to team leader again.
ces
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Uncanny 408

Post by ces »

Originally posted by Slarti
I still vote for Warren though. He's probably being set up as team leader so he can have some great hero's death. And then Nighty would probably be bumped to team leader again.
:laugh: LOL! :laugh:

Oh, Northstar had escaped my mind as well! It's going to be fun to see a fast one again! :D
:lockheed into Uncanny! :austen
Stormwatch
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Uncanny 408

Post by Stormwatch »

I agree about Peter. Even though he's been gone for more than a year now, the implications of his death are still being felt. His creepy yet comforting cameo in Wolverine and now in Unlimited show he's gone but not forgotten. I still think it's just a matter of time until he comes back though.

I worry about poor old Warren though. Austen won't kill Northstar, because he's specifically adding him. Nighty's safe, Stacy's safe. Egad that only leaves Bobby and Warren. Although, Warren's been thought dead before where I don't remember Bobby ever having that fun experience. Maybe it's Bobby's turn to go through the death phase?

Yeah, but I hope Peter is just remembered, thats it. He shouldn't come back. And with people like Grant and Tieri who both wanted to write him. They will find ways to pay respects and keep him remembered. But he did a noble sacrifice. And I doubt the main head-honchos would really bring him back. At any time.

and I would put my vote on Warren as well. Either that or Havok, I would so go for Havok, but I doubt it would happen. So, Warren would be my guess.

But I DO have big teeth.
BlueJubatus
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Uncanny 408

Post by BlueJubatus »

yea, i like warren, but ill be happy just as long as it isnt nighty. I think itll prolly be a few years before they bring peter back, but it WILL happen. Thats the nice thing about having created so many alternate realities, you have a never ending source for reviving the dead. Then theres cloning and of course the "i wasnt really dead i just lost my memory and have been wandering around the world" ploy. Sides, they hafta bring him back so that he can become sinister:P ;)
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Uncanny 408

Post by Bamfette »

see...i'mlike really torn, they're all my favourites :( Kurt, Iceman and Archangel are my top 3!! Kurt is just more favourite than the others ;) so i'd really hate it if it were any one of them that dies... :(
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Uncanny 408

Post by Nandireya »

I dunno guys...Kurt was so angsty last issue and now he's back to his (really) old self? I don't buy it! He's in denial or something...even he couldn't have possibly bounced back THAT fast!

Might have something to do with drug...but that's a killer...and as has already been said...Kurt's pretty much bulletproof now that he's in the movie...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Uncanny 408

Post by Bamfette »

oh he's not back to his old self yet... he's going just a little bit crazy ;) (please tell me i'm not alone in actually liking this?)

the guy who did the translations of the German bits (remember him SW? Insomnia?) sent me some private messages and left some cryptic posts (in german/french!) at X-Fan. he didn't spoil any specifics, but... he did say Casey is taking his character in a shocking NEW direction, not old. i think that for the next while he will be prone to massive and dramatic mood swings.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Uncanny 408

Post by Nandireya »

Actually...Kurt going just a little bit ka ka kookie actually makes a lot of sense...with all the poor boy's been through of late... :(

And I was thinking, for a fanfic I've got in the works...the guy is built like a predator...the colouring...the agility...the fangs...he's a more naturally born killer than Wolverine! The guy could easily go quite nasty! :evil: Not that I want to see that happen...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Stormwatch
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Uncanny 408

Post by Stormwatch »

Originally posted by Bamfette
oh hes not back to his old self yet... hes going just a little bit crazy ;) (please tell me im not alone in actually liking this?)

the guy who did the translations of the German bits (remember him SW? Insomnia?) sent me some private messages and left some cryptic posts (in german/french!) at X-Fan. he didnt spoil any specifics, but... he did say Casey is taking his character in a shocking NEW direction, not old. i think that for the next while he will be prone to massive and dramatic mood swings.
Peter Luzifer did the first translation. And Insomnia (if that is correctEditIts actually HeroComplexEdit) helped out a bit afterwards, for some of the more recent german lingo or phrasing or something.

Peter Luzifers translations from Uncanny 407 spoilers thread.

Please do not use Babblefish, as the translation is not correct. Close in most cases, but not all. I think we have enough members of these forums to cover almost any language. I for one am from Germany and will now give you the correct translations :

SPOILERS AHEAD!

"Feuer" means "fire", it seems to be the mans stagename from when he was working in the circus

the title :
"Gläubiger, Heiler, Gefallener" = "believer, healer, (the) fallen"

Page 3 panel 5
"Tetuedeb netsiem ma rid saw sad. Supreme Pontiff" - backwards and in german.

"das was dir am meisten bedeutet" (when said forwards)
= that what means most to you

page 4
"was bitte ist ein Pontifex Maximus" - said by Feuer
= pardon, what is a Supreme Pontiff ?
(actually Feuer himself translates it the next panel)

"vas ?" (when will they learn - it is spelled Was ?) = "What ?"

"mein Gott" = my god

page 8
"Mir geth es gut, danke" (spelling error, its "geht" ) = "Im fine, thank you"

page 17
"Vielleicht schulde ich dir eine Erklärung" = "Perhaps I owe you an apology"

page 19
"Soll ich euch allein lassen ?" = "Should I leave you alone? "

"Nein, das ist nicht nötig" = "no, that is not neccessary "

"meinen Freunde" (grammar error its "meine Freunde") = "my friends"

page 22
"Ich schätze, du hast recht" = "I guess youre right"

page 23
"Feuer, alter Freund" = "Feuer, old friend"

"lebe wohl und wurde" the last word makes no sense at all. I think they either mean

"lebe wohl und werde" - "farewell and grow / develop"
or
"lebe wohl und Würde" - "farewell and dignity"

Both sound strange in german, though Id take the first one out of therse two.

NOOOOOOOOO
it was HeroComplex who assisted Peter.

here is his blurb.

I didnt see it in Peter Luzifers original translation post, which was very nicely done, by the way, so I figured Id add in one bit or two that I remembered, even though it seems weve moved onto more important things. One line of German really caught my eye because I was surprised it was grammatically correct. (genitive case, ick) The pain of taking a German final exam the day before, I suspect.
Anyway, SPOILERS AHEAD! um Gottes willen = for Gods sake. Its a cool adverbial phrase we had to learn.
Also, Feuer says at one point "wir sind Feuer und Eis, aber das Feuer ist machtiger" = "We are fire and ice, but the fire is stronger." And any true German speakers correct me if Im wrong, but wouldnt machtiger be more mentally strong than physically? Macht vs. Kraft?

Just read the issue and havent had a chance to sift through all the responses just yet, but I just absolutely had to contribute somehow.

HeroComplex

and ahhhh, the kurt smilies. They are invading the same side as it is on X-Fan, sheesh, oh well, I got the meat.

But I DO have big teeth.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Uncanny 408

Post by Bamfette »

:D nonono... thats not what i meant. i meant Joe Casey asked Insomnia, the guy who kept teasing me with little hints about the fascinating new direction kurts character was going in, to translate his English words into German for the comic. remember, when i complained at Austens forum that they were in Germany and Nightcrawler didnt speak the language, he jumped right in MONTHS before 407 came out, before it was even solicited, and said I would be plesantly surprised in a few months, and whadda ya know, Kurt went to Germany and spoke the language just like he said. so i am taking what he says about the direction of his character pretty seriously.

unfortunately I only saved one of his posts, by posting it on the monument (none of you all believed me :p)
at X-Fan in Austens forum ther is a thread about where the team should travel to. i said the following
Originally posted by Bamfette
they went to Germany recently, and Nightcrawler didnt use the fact that hes german once, didnt speak the language, show that he knew the area at all, nothin. so they should go to Germany again.
I also suggested Russia, Hawaii and Canada

then some guy responds:

Dearest Bamfette,
upcoming issues of Uncanny X-Men might put a biiiig smile on your face in that regard, mein Fräulein. And its nice to see a young lady like you so interested in different, foreign cultures. Je suis surpris und äußerst erfreut, madame.

Au revoir et noch einen schönen Abend

Ton Imsonia
:ooh: intriguing! how does he get his information, for one thing? according tohis world flag, he is in Germany, and appears to speak both French and German. translator, perhaps? Im grasping at straws here. or is he pulling my leg, and infact knows nothing? if true, Nighty is going to Germany sometime soon again, and this time actually speaking the language? hmmm... why would he go there? the Church of Humanity is not in Germany (well, i dont think they are, anyway... seemed to be an American based cult for the most part) X-Corps is based in France, A.R.M in Switzerland... so is it something to do with him, or is it totally unrelated to him personally? does he mean Caseys run or Austens? questions abound!
obviously i posted that before anything of 407 was known.

Insomnia hasnt been around X-Fan in ages though... :rolleyes: he posted a few times after that in the Uncanny 407 preview thread, and sent me a private message or two hinting at a strange new development in Kurts character... then i havent seen him since

Originally posted by Nandireya
And I was thinking, for a fanfic Ive got in the works...the guy is built like a predator...the colouring...the agility...the fangs...hes a more naturally born killer than Wolverine! The guy could easily go quite nasty! :evil: Not that I want to see that happen...
I think hes going to be opening a can of whoop-ass on Warren in the near future :evil:
BlueJubatus
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Uncanny 408

Post by BlueJubatus »

I agree with Bamfette, Kurt flippin his lit could be really cool. I just hope that theyre not gonna make him bipolar or something, or if they do, that they at least research it first to make sure that they get it right. Still, the prospects of the elf on a rampage are pretty interesting:D
MabusRex
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Uncanny 408

Post by MabusRex »

Stop with the Warren dying stuff! I'm not listening! LA LA LA LA LA

Though I agree. He does seem the most likely to bite it in the coming months. Who knows, though? And the real question would by why would Austen do the expected thing. Shouldn't he go for the surprise? Bah. Anyways, as long as it's handled well, I can deal. I guess...

As to the hinted change in Kurt, all I can say is "Innnnnnnnteresting..."
:D
ces
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Uncanny 408

Post by ces »

Originally posted by Stormwatch
"lebe wohl und wurde" the last word makes no sense at all.
Oh, I thank you! I thought it was some complex grammatical use of German that I couldn't understand... Now I feel much better! :D

And all this talk of dying... I couldn't care less, that is as long as it's about :arch: (is it only me, or do I see a :britain: in his personality?) hitting the sac.

And Bamfette (this 'new' name will take some time to get used to...), you're not at all alone wanting to see a wacco Kurt! ;) So if what you all say is true, we will see the old free and funny Kurt, and yet something new!? :huh: But I don't know why, but I have a good feeling for this (hope I don't have to eat that up later)...
:lockheed into Uncanny! :austen
Stormwatch
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Uncanny 408

Post by Stormwatch »

Oh, in Austen Powers, I remember asking you about that. Yeah, it was Insomnia. Ultimate Magneto Avatar as well.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about in the 407 Spoilers thread. My bad :naughty:

But I DO have big teeth.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Uncanny 408

Post by Bamfette »

Originally posted by MabusRex
Stop with the Warren dying stuff! I'm not listening! LA LA LA LA LA

Though I agree. He does seem the most likely to bite it in the coming months. Who knows, though? And the real question would by why would Austen do the expected thing. Shouldn't he go for the surprise? Bah. Anyways, as long as it's handled well, I can deal. I guess...

As to the hinted change in Kurt, all I can say is "Innnnnnnnteresting..."
:D
well it's not like I WANT Warren to die...

actually, as soon as Kurt mentioned it is totally want to see him run for office! ok maybe president is a tad unrealistic at this point, but how about Senator? mayor? anything, i want to see campaign posters that say "Vote for Warren Worthington: have an ANGEL looking out for you!" and Kurt and Bobby could be his PR guys :D and just think of all the tension in the public, a mutant running for office, some great stories in there, i tells ya! not saying he should win... that would mean he'd have to leave the team, but run? definately.

and yes i am very much looking forward to Kurt loosing it. not too much, but becoming just a lil bit unstable... unpredictable, a wee bit manic. a guy who is a bit more likely to get medieval on your ass if you piss him off (then come to his senses and realize what he's doing) and as much as i like Warren, i want to see Kurt beat the bajeezus outa him with little provocation. Warren just makes one more slight against him, then Kurts all over him :D
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Uncanny 408

Post by Panz »

No, Bamfette, You are NOT alone! I am lovin' on seein' the Elf step off the deep end of the kiddy pool:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Its about time. This is way too cool to wish it over with in a single issue, At last someone at Marvy is showing that just because you are a "super hero", doesnt mean that you are immune to the effects of trauma and stress.:bamf:
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Uncanny 408

Post by Bamfette »

lookielookie!!
Originally posted by Chuck Austen

Casey's take on Nightcrawler will have an impact on the way I handle Nightcrawler, but not the impact originally intended. Casey didn't tell me what his plans were, and I had my own ideas already for the good Kurt Wagner.

And Warren for president. Hmmm ...
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Uncanny 408

Post by Garble »

At this point, I'd like to see Kurt go a little wacko too. Just so long as he doesn't go too far.... ***cough***belasco!***cough***

And I'm already a bit disapointed to hear that Chuck's promising to kill off a character. I really hoped this guy would be different. The whole "Wow, I just killed some charcters, arn't I an impressive writer?!?" bit is tired and anoying.
Back when Phoenix died on the moon, it was meaningful, dramatic, genuinely suprising and had a long impact. Now writers just do it to come off as "edgy" and no one takes it seriously.:(
I still have faith in Chuck's work, but this "I'm gonna kill someone!" isn't exactly fueling my confidence.
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Uncanny 408

Post by Hsu »

I totally agree with Garble. I'm sick of people dieing. Even when they do come back, that's those so many comics that other writers can't use them in because they're "dead." You'd think Marvel would be like, "Hey! Don't kill our chacracters!" I mean, it's not their character to kill off. I know that if I stopped writing X-men only to discover the next writer killed off one of the characters I had worked so hard to develop, I'd be pissed!

Oh, and it better not be Bobby, I really like him. :D
[spoiler]I hate post whores![/spoiler]
BamfKat
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Uncanny 408

Post by BamfKat »

:evil: Heheheheheheheh! heh. Yeah It is good to see Kurt go a little over the top after a few years of basicly having been a door mat. :smirk: And yes, I wold love to see him smack some respect into Warren.

I don't think Austin is going to kill anybody. I think this is hjim "teasing" the readers. IMHO Chuck has played things too close to the chest to have given away that major of a plot point. Though I still would like to see Kurt lead the team again.
BamfKat,
Hey, is it supposed to smoke like that? :bamf
BamfKat
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Uncanny 408

Post by BamfKat »

Yeah, poor Warren, maybe it was just a coloring error, but he must have been hit pretty hard, it knocked the blue right off him.

:laugh: Bwahahahahhaha! heh.

That killed me, Pandora. Hooo...

I think it is about time we see Kurt do a little kocking the blue off of him anyway. I like how Casey is wraping up, as much as I dislike the holes in his stories. I am interested in how this is going to resolve and what Austen is going to do with the can of worms he is being handed.
BamfKat,
Hey, is it supposed to smoke like that? :bamf