Uncanny X-force Thread

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Uncanny X-force Thread

Post by Elwing »

Unless I'm very much mistaken there was none, so I started one.
Uncanny X-force #20 is now in the shops. Who got it, and what are your thoughts?
I'm not going to say much about what it is about, but I had problems with Greg Tocchini's art. A shitty artist is one thing, but an artist who is obviously talented doing a half-assed job is frustrating. There's nothing wrong with a loose and fuzzy style, but the problem is the inconsistency. Some pages are excellent, and then you come across a page that is apparently a quick preliminary sketch of the page layout and composition, sent straight to the confused colorist.
Must say he draws a good Kurt.
But it's a good book, and I plan to keep on buying it.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Re: Uncanny X-force Thread

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

There was, and it didn't make the jump I don't believe. It had some great feedback though, so its a shame.
Regardless, I enjoyed issue 19 so I am very Mich looking forward to issue 20.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I can't wait to get #20, but the stupid Marvel Subscription service has constantly been delayed...

Also, Don't bother with 19.1 unless you genuinely care about what is going on in AoA. Minor Spoiler: Marvel is leading up to an AoA run. Unsure whether or not it will be ongoing...
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

oh it's good to hear that, I wanted to ask about that. I had it in my hands and didn't buy it. I'm not sure why it was printed in the first place.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

My comic shop was out when I got there, so I had to get it online. Good comic, but very unrelated to what is happening in UXF.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Going today to get my comics, I'll edit this later to let you know what I think of #20! :3
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So with the new PHBB settings I will now be double posting rather than editing. Unfortunately.

Either way -- Was able to read UXF 20 and I loved it. <3'd. It.

I am rather fond of the idea of Darkholme being so wildly opposite of Wagner and I will be very careful in saying... Deadpool... in rather small doses... is sort of fun.

IN SMALL DOSES!! :cracked
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I agree with Elwing about the art. It is definitely different...

And I love how my two favorite characters (or at least sort of) are at each others throats. Makes for some interesting story...
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

So I just read UXF 21, and this comic truly exhibits the potential Darkholme has for this book. Wit, power, and ingenuity make their way onto the page through Kurt, and I love this comic. Much better than 20 in my opinion. Pick it up, let me know what you think...
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

I think Wolvie & the Xmen is out tomorrow? I might as well go to the shop and try to get both!
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

My cunning plan to get my hands on these books has again been thwarted today. Strewth!
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

Awww, that sucks, El. Comic book stores on mainland Europe surely leave a lot to be desired. The ones actually carrying superhero comics, anyway.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

There is a kind of snobbery going on that is very disheartening. 4 comics stores in town, only one carries American-style comics. And if they miss their delivery, the closest place I can get them is Brussels. And Brussels is no fun:(
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

El, I hate to propose this but perhaps digital comics? Marvel it comes to the same price or slightly cheaper (depending on the issue) so it could be worth it.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

I'll have to look into that if this is not resolved. But I like paper comics, you know, all the detail you can only see on paper, the smell of the paper when you open the book...I'm not a big one for digital comics.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I agree but the beauty of digital comics is anyone can read them anywhere. It's unfortunate but its the internet.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

And Yes! I got it. I enjoyed the read, it was good to see Nightcrawler in action but I have issues with the art. Fight scenes seem all right, but all the humor that is written in the probably quite good script falls flat on it's face. I mean, (spoiler) Kurt rides off on an undead horse, and spends the rest of the book with Deadpool's chatty head under his arm, and along the way is glomped by a big burly guy. In a good artist's hands, that would have been hilarious... They really need a better artist. If you can visualize a better way to handle the script as a reader, there is something seriously wrong.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Elwing wrote:And Yes! I got it. I enjoyed the read, it was good to see Nightcrawler in action but I have issues with the art. Fight scenes seem all right, but all the humor that is written in the probably quite good script falls flat on it's face. I mean, (spoiler) Kurt rides off on an undead horse, and spends the rest of the book with Deadpool's chatty head under his arm, and along the way is glomped by a big burly guy. In a good artist's hands, that would have been hilarious... They really need a better artist. If you can visualize a better way to handle the script as a reader, there is something seriously wrong.

I agree and yet, I don't.

Let me first say you're dead on with the writing, Remender has captured classy/sassy comedic timing for Darkholme while giving him some layering (similar to that of an onion rather than something sweeter such as, y'know -- parfait or something.). However; I think the artwork is perfect for the current arc the problem is the COLORS.

For me, the belending of the colors, on some panels (not all) really hurts my eyes. It reminds me of the problem I had with Bacchalo's artwork in W&tXM. His details (similar to the UXF artist's details) are so intricate, and he includes so much going on in one scene, that the specs of shading and lighting, etc... these things get blotchy and the colors (which seem bright and appropriate) become the real source of eyesore (for me at least). I wish the colorist(s?) had better control, but other than that I like the way Darkholme's tail swooshes and is still prehensile. I like Deadpool's mask not being a spider-man skull mask and having a bit of a peaked top, like the mask in the original design, I like Logan's claws being just the right thickness and length that it makes SENSE they come out of his hand, between his knuckles, and I really appreciate Fantomex's eyes. You can't see the rest of his face, so the artist has to express all that confusion and fear and anger in the eyes and I (personally) think he nails it.

So far, I'm impressed with this comic. A smidge overwhelmed, but I also know NOTHING about where they are right now, other than Meggan and Brian (and apparently the whole Braddox Clan) are from there. Anyone know if that's the case for Ultimate Braddox Clan? (:offtopic I know, but just curious).
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

With the list of characters that are in the book right now it would be better if they changed the title to Uncanny Excalibur. And about that, I'm absolutely not complaining.
I think this is a very talented artist, but the work is too rushed and undetailed. I'm not sure what the production process looked like. It seems there never even was an inker, and it looks like Tocchini sketched it with a felt tip pen and sent it straight to the colorist. Again, it is frustrating to me, I'm all for a more free-style artistic approach and feel it could have been great with just a little more time and care.
And that is how I feel about the whole book, it could have been great.
Hopefully the next one is better...
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

My girlfriend brought up a great point that both the penciling and the coloring seem sort of blotchy or at times lacking in detail, and when they do focus on detail, it's a lot of detail. In one specific area. She likes the art but she said it's easier to look at without the speech bubbles, and I have to agree. Once I have to start reading what's going on while looking at the images, things like details (lacking or abusive amounts of) stand out more than they would if it was just pretty pictures.

That said -- I love Darkholme in this. He's hilarious. Re-read it today, and I even found myself chuckling at Deadpool (which I never do, honestly). Their back-and-forth is ... cute. I guess is the word.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

Article about upcoming UXF events on IO9
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Could've sworn I replied to this already.

I am very excited at the prospect of a competent Brotherhood, but it irks me that the group known for killing their enemies goes up against them first.

:/ Hope it's not gonna be a short ride...
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Just read issue 22.

Wow.

I have to say, I'm slowly finding that Darkholme is really growing on me. Honestly -- this is just awesome. He's so suave, even in his brutality. He's generous/considerate, even in his self-absorption (not as bad as Deadpool's or Fantomex's). Best of all -- He's a hero.

He's actually acting like a true hero and trying to liberate Otherworld while Logan & co's main objective was just get their kin back and kill all in their way. Very awesome.

And this art is growing on me.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

Aaaaand my comic store is again late...Maybe I can get it in Brussels tomorrow...:bawl
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I hope so El, it's really awesome.

Darkholme's character picks up a lot of cred in this issue alone.