1/9 Issue: Relationship Complications

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

1/9 Issue: Relationship Complications

Post by Svartfreja »

Timelined for a day or so after [Issue]Spilling the Caffeinated Beans

<Carol> It was early. The streets were still pretty quiet and the sun had been up for a few hours; Carol was just getting home. She stretched after she landed on the doorstep, before she opened the door to an excited 'Mrrrrow!' from Chewie who, no doubt, wanted her breakfast. "Heeeey shhh it's early..." she chastised, looking down the hall to see if there was any sign Obi was up.

<Shinobi> Obi was up, because he had to prep for court today. Jarvis had made him aware Carol had never come home that night, in what Obi thought was a rather tart tone. It was with the same tone that the AI informed him Carol had returned. He snickered into the mirror as he shaved.

<Carol> Chewie was already on the way to the kitchen, tail in the air in anticipation of noms. But Carol was distracted by her phone ringing. Why was the world conspiring against her this morning? She answered the phone to silence the ringing then looked at the caller ID and had further confusion. "Hey..." why was Redd calling her?

<Carol> She paused to take off her shoes while Redd admonished her for leaving without saying goodbye, "Well, I didn't want to wake you... it was all early and stuff. At least I left you coffee?" Shoes off, she finally followed Chewie toward the kitchen.

<Carol> Despite the lack of a witness, she blushed at Redd's next comment, "Yeeeeeah I couldn't find it.... or those... you've gotta stop throwing my underwear around your apartment. It's like a scavenger hunt every time." Chewie's meows were now very insistent so she positioned her phone between her ear and shoulder so she had both hands free.

<Carol> "Well.... I guess I could come and get them and have Jean make all her comments ooooor you can just keep them til next time I stop over. But if I have to come and get them, you'll owe me lunch." Bowl of tasty chicken on the floor, Chewie had finally shut up.

<Carol> "Lunch is not a euphemism!" She laughed, "Uh huh, I see how you could make that mistake...." she rolled her eyes, smirking to herself as she filled the coffee machine, "And people say I'm a bad influence."

<Shinobi> He'd heard the last half of the conversation on his way to the kitchen and paused stifle a laugh. 'Lunch is not a euphemism' made him laugh aloud as he entered the room, startling the cat a little, who looked up from her bowl with a displeased noise but thankfully no tentacles.

<Carol> And she couldn't help the cringe at realising Obi probably heard a lot of that. She did manage not to spill coffee grounds all over the counter though so... yay small victories? "How is that an argument in your favour?" she turned enough to mouth 'good morning' at Obi before taking the jug from the hotplate to get some water. "Okay, okay, I'll take a hint. I'll text you when I'm on my way..."

<Shinobi> "Good morning," he replied, still amused, and opened the fridge to search for a bagel.

<Carol> Finally free of her phone, she turned to lean against the counter while she waited on the coffee, "I didn't wake you up, did I?"

<Shinobi> "No, I was already up. I have court today." He located his bagel and some cream cheese, looking up at her with a smile. "Sounds like you had a wild night."

<Carol> She gave a soft laugh and a half shrug, "Not really."

<Shinobi> "So underwear scavenger hunts aren't your idea of fun?" He chuckled and moved his finds to the counter to prepare.

<Carol> And now she was blushing again, "You heard that, huh?"

<Shinobi> "Oh, I heard." He laughed, turning to look at her and catching the blush, which made his smile broader.

<Carol> "Well, I guess... enjoy my fail," she folded her arms over her chest, feeling self conscious all of a sudden.

<Shinobi> "How's it a fail? Sounds like you had a good time." He cocked his head at her, honestly curious at the sudden turn and keeping his eyes from falling to her chest.

<Carol> "I did... I guess I'm used to more judging... or mocking..." she frowned.

<Shinobi> "Hey, you're an adult, you can do what you like, right? That's one of the perks."

<Carol> "You'd think... but sometimes what other people like is to share their judgy opinions with the people they're judging without even asking first. Like, I bet Jarvis is judging me right now but at least he got programmed with British snark-manners."

<Shinobi> "Oh, Jarvis is a prudish old bastard," he laughed.

<Carol> That made her laugh, "Man I don't know how anyone has sex in a house with AI staring at them all the time. You'd have to be some kind of exhibitionist..." she gave him some side-eye as she turned to get mugs for the coffee.

<Shinobi> "Well, it has been a while," he said with a laugh, turning his attention to his bagel.

<Carol> "If you start doing anything inappropriate with that bagel I'm filming it for blackmail."

<Shinobi> "Ha! Don't worry, I'm not quite ready to turn to baked goods for comfort." He thought about that, tapping the knife on the counter. "Well, beyond the usual culinary ecstasy."

<Carol> "If you're fat when Hope gets back, she's gonna be really upset with you," Carol pointed out as she poured two cups of coffee and went to sit at the table for a change.

<Shinobi> He laughed and slathered up a bagel, then thought about that and looked over at her. "You want one? We can get fat together."

<Carol> "I can't get fat but you're welcome to test the theory... I mean, maybe if I keep ordering fast food with Redd with my inhibitor on but I doubt it..."

<Shinobi> "Lucky you," he chuckled, cutting another bagel. "Redd is the lucky lady you were talking to, I take it?"

<Carol> "That'd be her... don't know about lucky, but she's a lot of fun," she picked up her coffee to take a sip.

<Shinobi> "Well that's good then," he said with a nod, slathering the bagel with a generous coating of cream cheese. He was gonna test her theory if nothing else. "How did you meet her?"

<Carol> "She works for Jean... and I let her talk me into a double date where she and Jamie abandoned us to go have sex in Jamie's car," she rolled her eyes, "So rude."

<Shinobi> "That is rude," he agreed, grabbing napkins and balancing the bagels on those because plates were for the weak. "Sounds like it worked out okay for you though." Obi made it to the table and presented a bagel to Carol.

<Carol> She took the bagel with a smile and a half shrug to his comment, "I guess... I mean, I'm not sure I'll ever be good relationship material so at least I'm getting laid."

<Shinobi> "Hey, there's something to be said for that." He agreed, picking up the coffee she'd left for him for a sip. "I wasn't relationship material right after I got out of jail either, but I managed to... well, I banged a squirrel actually, so..."

<Carol> She laughed, "Yeah you're a terrible example. But I've been in relationships and fucked up all of them one way or another... I don't have a stable life... it's why I don't mind that Astrid is with Chris and Greer even though I don't get to see her as much as I want..."

<Shinobi> "Yeah, kids definitely complicate things. We weren't sure I could have kids, and then Hope wasn't sure she could. Turns out we both can, we just hadn't gotten around to it yet..." And that was a good thing, considering.

<Carol> "Well at least you don't have to worry about telling someone in the future: 'Oh by the way I have a kid but she doesn't live with me because I'm a terrible mom'. That'll really help my dating stats."

<Shinobi> "I better not have any kids I don't know about." He considered the possibility of a squirrel child and shuddered a little, covering it with a bite of bagel. "Also, if I was their mom there would be questions."

<Carol> She gave his shin a warning nudge under the table, "You know what I mean. You're all married and stuff... Not that I want to get married or anything..." she sighed, "Just sometimes it'd be nice to just have that relationship with someone..."

<Shinobi> "Yep, all married and stuff." He took a more aggressive bite. "Sometimes you only think you have that kind of relationship with someone. Apparently."

<Carol> She gave him a sympathetic look, "I'm sorry... She can't stay gone forever... if they'd found anything we'd know by now, right? So... eventually David's just gonna have to accept Viper's gone... and then they'll come back... and then you can fight me for who gets to yell at her first."

<Shinobi> "Oh, I think I get to yell first. That's the privilege of marriage." He shook his head and took a drink of coffee. "I don't know what to think. For all we know, they found Viper and decided to have an adventure with her."

<Carol> "I'd hope they'd call if they found her..." she tore off a piece of bagel, "Jess'd be pleased to know she's alive... and then pissed that she dropped off the face of the earth. But, to start with, she'd be happy about it."

<Shinobi> "Yeah, but Hope gets swept up in things and just... forgets about everything but what she's focused on in that moment." He sighed and took another bite of bagel.

<Carol> "Think she'll at least apologise for her dumbassery?"

<Shinobi> Obi could only laugh, the sound more than a little bitter.

<Carol> So that was a no. "Guess both of us are gonna have to get used to people not apologising when they hurt our feelings, huh? Because neither of us can punch our respective assholes in the face."

<Shinobi> "I don't want to punch her." He frowned into his coffee. "Maybe a little bit, but I think that makes me a horrible person."

<Carol> "I'm not gonna judge you," she shrugged a shoulder, "I don't always mean it literally... but for some people..." she sighed, "Sometimes I feel like it's the only way to get through to some people... or, you know... picking them up and shaking them."

<Shinobi> "Oh, I've most definitely wanted to do that," he said, this time with a more relaxed chuckle. "She's probably felt the same sometimes."

<Carol> "About you?" She blinked in surprise, "Bullshit. You're way too well behaved."

<Shinobi> "Me? Well behaved?" He paused before taking a bite of his bagel and shrugged. "If I am it's only because I've had to be extra well behaved to make up for when I wasn't."

<Carol> "We are not counting anything before you got out of all that manipulative crap from how you were made, okay? None of that was your choice. Since then you've chosen to be a decent human."

<Shinobi> "Despite my father's expectations?" He gave her a Shaw smirk and took his bite.

<Carol> She laughed, "Yeah, despite that... and despite my best efforts to be a terrible influence."

<Shinobi> "I think I can handle your level of bad influence."

<Carol> "I don't know about that... I kinda stopped trying since I moved in."

<Shinobi> "Trying what? To be good?" He raised a hand and made air quotes. "It's all subjective. Besides, you haven't been drinking, right? That's positive."

<Carol> "I haven't been drinking... but that's not out of trying to be better... not really..." she picked up her coffee, "I mean I've stopped trying to talk you into crazy shit. I don't wanna get either of us in trouble... but if you'd rather I just pretended like we weren't gonna end up in more tabloids or maybe actual news..."

<Shinobi> "Well if they're watching us this morning they were sorely disappointed," he observed.

<Carol> "Oooor they'll spin it to make me look really bad and Fury'll have a hernia from all the yelling."

<Shinobi> "What, you're cheating on me while I'm cheating on Hope?" He snorted. "Let them. Hell, bring your not-girlfriend here if you want. That will at least make the stories more spicy."

<Carol> "Oooooh fuck no. I'm not getting her dragged into this. No one wants that." She shook her head, "She's just a normal person living her normal life."

<Shinobi> "She's not a mutant? Normal, huh? Wow, I forget people like that really exist sometimes."

<Carol> "Not a mutant. Which is why I wear my inhibitor with her... and why she doesn't need the association with all of this extra bullshit."

<Shinobi> "Hopefully the tabloids won't get the bright idea to follow you to her place." He made a face and took another drink.

<Carol> "Pfft, I'd like to see them try. I go under cover of darkness and mostly use the roof," she gave him a small grin.

<Shinobi> "Mutant in the streets, inhibited in the sheets, got it." He winked.

<Carol> She laughed and shook her head, "It's not out of choice really... just haven't really met anyone I'm not afraid I'll break since Cess... and with her it was more smushing out of shape..."

<Shinobi> He laughed along with her and paused, taking another drink. "You think someday you'll decide you're ready to try a real relationship again? Or once bitten, twice shy?"

<Carol> She pulled a face and stalled with a sip of coffee, "I don't know... It was my fault it all went to hell... so, always the danger it'll happen again. I don't know if I'm the kind of person that can do a stable relationship... at least without screwing it up."

<Shinobi> "Yeah, but people are always changing, and situations are always in flux, so maybe things would come out entirely different?" He shrugged a little and took another bite of bagel.

<Carol> "Maybe... I don't know... my life's never been exactly stable as a whole... I go where I get told to go," she shrugged, "Not everyone can accept living like that."

<Shinobi> "A lot of people are in the military. It doesn't stop them from having lives."

<Carol> "I know that... but those people aren't me... and my job's more dangerous than most people's so... I don't really think it's fair to put that on someone else either... not long-term... and I don't really do that talking about feelings thing that people like you to do..."

<Shinobi> "Well, I think you might want to give that theoretical person the benefit of the doubt. You're over thinking it, in my opinion." He shook his head and took a drink.

<Carol> "Maybe... or maybe I'm just not ready..." or maybe she didn't want to get into something with someone else while she still had feelings for him. But that was feelings talk. "Maybe I just didn't meet the right person yet."

<Shinobi> "Maybe they're right around the next corner. You never know." He leaned and looked pointedly into the next room, then back. "Maybe not the literal next corner, because then we'd have problems. Or a lost reporter."

<Carol> Carol sighed, "I know you're trying to help... but I think you're missing something really important..."

<Shinobi> "What's that?" He took another bite of his bagel and cocked his head at her.

<Carol> She groaned and covered her face with her hands, "Obi... I can't focus on having a serious relationship with anyone while I'm in love with someone else."

<Shinobi> He stopped chewing and swallowed, hard, reaching for his coffee. "Oh." He winced. "Sorry."

<Carol> She shook her head, lowering her hands to look at him, "What are you even apologising for? It's not your fault I don't know what's good for me."

<Shinobi> "Seemed like the polite response?" He gave her a sheepish smile and took a fast drink of his coffee.

<Carol> She reached to pat his shoulder, "It's fine... call me an idiot if you want. I know, okay? I thought... hoped telling you would help. Like telling my brain for sure it's chasing its tail and it's not going anywhere... but apparently my subconscious is more stubborn than my conscious so...."

<Shinobi> "I can take up public nose picking or something to sour the deal?" He raised a brow and gave her a real smile, taking another sip of his coffee.

<Carol> She laughed, "As fun as that would be for everyone in court when you forget you have an audience that isn't me, I don't think you need to go that far... I might be a lost cause anyway."

<Shinobi> "Nah, there's no such thing as a lost cause." He shook his head. "I do have court this morning," he said, picking up his phone to check the time. "The judge might wonder about my new habit, true."

<Carol> "Clearly you like to ignore the evidence in front of you," she teased, "Mr Lawyer."

<Shinobi> "My case record says otherwise," he sniffed, then stuffed the rest of his bagel into his mouth.

<Carol> "So you're making an exception for me? Should I be offended?"

<Shinobi> "Consider yourself a special case," he said, shaking his head again as he took the last bite of his bagel.

<Carol> "Special, huh?" She lifted her coffee for a sip, "Definitely not a word to use if you don't want me to be offended," she laughed.

<Shinobi> "I mean special as in unique, not as in riding the short bus to the special school." He grinned around the bagel.

<Carol> "Are you sure? Because I feel like I'm on the short bus."

<Shinobi> "Well, I suppose I'm not the one who left my underwear at another house this morning, but yes, I'm sure."

<Carol> "That wasn't my fault!" She protested, "Pretty sure Redd does it on purpose." She stuffed half a slice of bagel in her mouth.

<Shinobi> Obi laughed and got up from the chair, grabbing his empty plate to take to the sink. "See, she wants a trophy, that's a positive sign."

<Carol> "A sign she wants me to come back for my underwear," she finished, "She doesn't want a relationship. That's why she's safe."

<Shinobi> "Safe or not, it still sounds fun and that's a good thing, so hey." He picked up his coffee and went to top it off, holding the carafe and giving it a slosh in question.

<Carol> "I figured if I was getting laid I'd maybe want to drink less..." she shrugged.

<Shinobi> He lowered the coffee pot to give her a concerned look. "And?"

<Carol> "And it's too soon to tell. Nothing really annoying has happened since I decided to make it a regular thing..."

<Shinobi> "Well, that's good... I guess." He topped off her coffee and gave her a shrug and a smile. "No news is good news and all that?"

<Carol> "Not ending up the news is also good news," she toasted this sentiment with her refilled coffee. "It still sucks we can't be normal people and leave the building together though."

<Shinobi> "We can, we just have to decide we don't care what the tabloids say." He put the coffee pot back and took a sip of his coffee. "I know I don't."

<Carol> "So you don't care if Tony shows up here again being all weird?" She turned in her seat to watch him, "Because I can call Fury and tell him to expect a lot of bullshit and then he won't threaten me with Alaska for the heart attack."

<Shinobi> "Tony doesn't scare me. He's always weird," he laughed.

<Carol> "What if he brings his first wife with him next time?" Carol decided to cover all the bases, "And if that wife brings his wife?"

<Shinobi> Obi just laughed. "Bring it. My parents don't scare me. They'll believe me over Tony." His head cocked. "Well, mom would."

<Carol> "Your mom has the cheat codes," she pointed out, "She'd definitely be on our side. Also she knows I like my brain not melted."

<Shinobi> "Her cheat codes come in handy, yep." He glanced at his phone again and sighed. "Duty calls."

<Carol> "Okay then... I guess go have no fun on your boring day. I'll have all the fun and no judgement, thankyouverymuch." She gave him a grin before popping a piece of bagel in her mouth.

<Shinobi> "Sounds like you'll have the better day." He gave her a wink and took another sip of coffee on his way out of the room.
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Re: 1/9 Issue: Relationship Complications

Post by Esynthia »

Hey, Carol is welcome to punch Rogue in the face. :shifty
ImageImage

Remy: he feels lust for everyone
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

Post by Svartfreja »

It's a trap! She is in 3D printer mode! That would end very badly.
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Post by Esynthia »

3D printer mode :LOL
ImageImage

Remy: he feels lust for everyone