Nightcrawler: Mutant Agility or Mutant "Enhanced" Agility?

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Born Blue
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Born Blue »

You see, I was planning on updating the daily rant section of my website and this time I was going to talk about Nightcrawler's agility.

I've seen a lot of people who think that Kurt's agility is based totally on practice and has no such natural mutant agility. Thus meaning he's pretty much Daredevil with a tail.

While I too believe Kurt does not have natural mutant agility, I do believe his agility is enhanced by his mutations.

Take his skeletol structure for example. He skeleton is pretty much on par with Spider-Man in the aspect that he can twist and turn in any shape imaginable. Then add in his speed, strength, and ability to stick to walls (I personally don't count the tail) and I don't see how many could consider Kurt is only a really good agile human.

That's why I think he's above a regular human, yet below flat out mutant agility. If it wasn't for his mutations he wouldn't get away with half the stuff he does. That's why I consider his agility mutant "enhanced" agility.

But before I get started writing this rant, I wanted to see what other hardcore fans thought and make sure I wasn't indeed wrong.

So do you think Kurt has natural mutant agility? The agilty of a human who practiced really hard? Or is his agility enhanced by his mutations?

And for those who don't recognize the name. I'm just lotusson under a new name. ;)
------ The Man who used to be Man of Letters ------
Well wadda know, I got a Nightcrawler fansite too!
------ http://respect-the-elf.freeservers.com/ -------
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Oh, Lotusson, hi! Well, I tend to think it's both. His mutant nature made him quicker and more agile just by his body structure, years of training in the circus and with the X-Men honed his abilities. Alan Davis had that Excalibur issue somewhere in the 60's where he tried to explain a lot of Nighty's abilities. I think the consensus was he had a more flexible skeleton than normal, along with his hand, foot and tail modifications, but his conditioning was more hard work than nature. I believe it was right around the panel where Kitty called him a big ham. :)

Why don't you ask Dave his opinion as well. Then you'll get what I consider the official word on Nighty. I don't care that he doesn't own him, he created him!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Yeah...I see Kurt's agility as being like Eddie Brock's (Venom for those who don't know) strength...

The alien Eddie wears enhances his natural strength...so the fitter and stronger Eddie is...the fitter and strong the alien makes him...it raises it to the Nth power...

So the more Kurt works out, the better his mutations make him...

When he was made totally normal a few years back...we saw him trying to keep up with a holographical version of his true self and he couldn't do it! He was still amazingly agile...but just not up to the true Nightcrawler standard. He hated being normal!
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

I had always put him, in my mind, up in the Spider-Man range of agility or higher. I always though he was AT LEAST on par with Beast as far as agility and flexibility went.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
BlueJubatus
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BlueJubatus »

I agree with the whole agility enhanced by mutancy thing, but thats just me. BTW, in the spidy/nighty team up, spiderman made a referance to NC being on par with him in agility;)
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

Originally posted by Man of Letters
You see, I was planning on updating the daily rant section of my website and this time I was going to talk about Nightcrawler's agility.

I've seen a lot of people who think that Kurt's agility is based totally on practice and has no such natural mutant agility. Thus meaning he's pretty much Daredevil with a tail.

While I too believe Kurt does not have natural mutant agility, I do believe his agility is enhanced by his mutations.

Take his skeletol structure for example. He skeleton is pretty much on par with Spider-Man in the aspect that he can twist and turn in any shape imaginable. Then add in his speed, strength, and ability to stick to walls (I personally don't count the tail) and I don't see how many could consider Kurt is only a really good agile human.

That's why I think he's above a regular human, yet below flat out mutant agility. If it wasn't for his mutations he wouldn't get away with half the stuff he does. That's why I consider his agility mutant "enhanced" agility.

But before I get started writing this rant, I wanted to see what other hardcore fans thought and make sure I wasn't indeed wrong.

So do you think Kurt has natural mutant agility? The agilty of a human who practiced really hard? Or is his agility enhanced by his mutations?

And for those who don't recognize the name. I'm just lotusson under a new name. ;)
When I created Kurt I did a character sheet that stated he could do a standing broadjump of about thirty feet and a high jump of nearly the same. That, coupled with his prehensile tail and spider-like ability to cling to walls, says 'mutant agility' to me.

:bamf:
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Who else would know better than the master?

But Marvel seem to have a problem making up their mind about it...I've got a trading card that puts Kurt equal with Spidey for agility...but if you go to his profile at their website now...he's no where near so agile...he's just human capable through training agile...I know he was baddly hurt during the Mutant Massacre...but come on!

Alan's doing wire stuff in the movie, so the movie version should be able to move pretty good...

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

Born Blue
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Born Blue »

When I created Kurt I did a character sheet that stated he could do a standing broadjump of about thirty feet and a high jump of nearly the same.
Look at Marvel's website and he can currently jump about 8 feet and do a really good cartwheel. :D
When he was made totally normal a few years back...we saw him trying to keep up with a holographical version of his true self and he couldn't do it! He was still amazingly agile...but just not up to the true Nightcrawler standard. He hated being normal!
My friend had that issue, and before I could snatch it from him, he threw it away!!! Can someone tell me the issue number for that???
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

X-Men #99...and in the very next issue he becomes a priest...I can scan the page for you if you like...

Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Oh...what the hell...I scanned it anyway...

It's here...

Enjoy!

Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

man... that costume just does NOT look right without a cute lil blue head topping it off does it? :p not that he wasn't cute in human form, but he was/is cuter blue ;)

i mean the lack of tail and the hands and feet throw it off too, but it is the lack of that spot of blue that makes it just 'not right'... poor thing :(
Born Blue
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Born Blue »

Thanks Nandireya. That saves me the trouble of buying the comic and scanning it in myself. All I gotta do now is just buy the comic. It's a one step process! :D
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Post by little Blue Lucy »

Originally posted by Bamfette
man... that costume just does NOT look right without a cute lil blue head topping it off does it? :p not that he wasn't cute in human form, but he was/is cuter blue ;)

i mean the lack of tail and the hands and feet throw it off too, but it is the lack of that spot of blue that makes it just 'not right'... poor thing :(
I know well the whole thing! I mean he's just not Nightcrawler! I mean he is.. but well without the blue, it's just something comes off odd in how the costume looks and all.

The thing is really he's still Kurt, and still cute and all, but.. He is totally the best as his glorious unique fuzzy blue, tailed, six fingered and toed self!^_^

[/quote]

My friend had that issue, and before I could snatch it from him, he threw it away!!! Can someone tell me the issue number for that??? [/quote]
Gah! What is this world coming to that someone would deliberately toss a comic with Nightcrawler! Tsk Tsk!:rolleyes:

Oh yah and his agility is enhanced. Indeed even without training, or any mutant enhancement, I feel he would be quite an agile individual due to his frame and so forth, but training greatly increases that, and the mutant aspect, well I would love to see a non mutant enhanced individual able to cling to walls and jump twelve feet (or whatever it was lol)!
Vala: "Hello."
Daniel: "What the hell are you doing here?"
Vala: "Isn't this my room?"
Daniel: "Noooo… your room is across the hall… with the… guard in front of it."
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"
Daniel: "No, we shalln't."
Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member #11 :engarde

:respectnc and they'll respect you, back.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

The thing that got me with that whole suddenly human concept was...how come it didn't seem to hurt? It must have been agony for him when his fingers and toes split like that...when his sweet little ear points and tail shrivelled...

Or was it like pulling off a really big band aid really quickly? Just one big YEOH-OUCH!:bawl:

Booker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Booker »

So what was the deal with the human thing? Can someone give me a recap on that?
Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksman
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

The High Evolutionary decided to stop the infighting between humans and mutants by eradicating the X-gene...and therefore turning all mutants into base-line humans (ie...no powers). This didn't effect people like Spider-Man or the Hulk however, their powers are not due to genetic mutation...

Lots of mutants died...some just couldn't survive without their mutations...one water-breathing kid drowned...

I always though Chamber would have died when it happened...he's got no chest or internal organs...it all kinda exploded when his powers emerged...:chamber:

Born Blue
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Born Blue »

But um. . . if said water breather had his X-gene removed, and turned into a regular human, wouldn't he be able to breath oxygen like everyone else? :D After all, fish don't breathe water itself, they live off the oxygen in the water.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Kid was under water at the time...to deep down to reach the surface in time...

little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Originally posted by Nandireya
The thing that got me with that whole suddenly human concept was...how come it didn't seem to hurt? It must have been agony for him when his fingers and toes split like that...when his sweet little ear points and tail shrivelled...

Or was it like pulling off a really big band aid really quickly? Just one big YEOH-OUCH!:bawl:
Perhaps it happened while he was sleeping, or very quickly!:?
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"

Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

We saw it happen...they were playing baseball...a favourite X-Men past-time...Warren and Kurt are suddenly not blue anymore...Warren's dropping feathers everywhere...Kurt's holding up his morphing hand, but he doesn't seem to be in any pain...

little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Did I see that?!? I should remember!:o:shame::(

BlueJubatus
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BlueJubatus »

well, i guess the horror would sorta outnumber the pain...:(
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

That's true. You know I do think I remember that., though not very well:( I definitely recall the part with Nightcrawler and I don't think it's just because everyone's mentioning it!;) Man I miss my comics!:bawl:

Booker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Booker »

Anyone have that page scanned in? It would be interesting to see it.
Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksman
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

I think so too! Actually I'd like to see if my memory of it is correct!