OCT. 28 - NEWLY UPDATED RULES. Read this before posting agai

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

Okay, I'm sorry to have to do this, but in a few ways thing are getting out of hand around here and I want to nip it in the bud, before this board goes the way of the Dodo, so here are the rules. Follow them and we'll all be happy campers.

Updated October 28, 2003

RULES

1. RESPECT. Show it. Use it. You should at least respect the opinions, works, and posts of others, and the others themselves at ALL times. I'm not saying that you have to agree with everyone and everything or that you have to like everything...just understand that it is someone's work or someone's thoughts that you're commenting on or disagreeing with.

2. No Flame Wars. No personal attacks of any kind will be tolerated. This should go without saying, due to rule #1, but just in case, here it is. In plain english.

3. Think before you post. You should always reread what you're planning on posting at least once before you post it. Make sure it says what you mean it to say and try to make it an intelligent and contributing response to the discussion. Also, try to get all your comments up to that point in the discussion into your one post instead of posting after yourself multiple times. Don't be afraid to go back and add to your post later if you think up something new.

4. Don't post for the sake of posting. No one is impressed by your post count if your posts are worthless. Again, this should go without saying with Rule #3, but here it is anyway.

5. Be Patient. Sometimes there isn't anyone else on for HOURS at a time...and sometimes there wont be a response to your thread for days after you post it...but be patient, no need to spam your own topic.

6. Rumors and Fact are different things. Please don't state rumors as fact...and really all you have to do is qualify your statement with an "I heard that..." or a "I think that maybe..." Believe me, it'll save us some confusion.

7. LOOK. READ. Look for other threads that may already be discussing what you'd like to discuss and give 'em a read through before you go off making a topic on the same topic. (See how redundant even the RULE is?)

8. Try to put 'em in the right category. It's not always obvious where you should start your thread, but usually it is. And those categories are there for a reason, people. ;)

9. Don't go overboard on your signature. The official limits to signature size is now 10 lines of text or one image, with a maximum size of 65 x 400 pixels, and two lines of text. You may also have a maximum of 5 smilies in your signature. If you're caught violating these limits, your signature will simply be deleted and you'll have to start from scratch.

10. Smilies and Attachments. The limit to smilies per post is tentatively set at 15, but this may change as we experiment with it. You may also put a maximum of two smilies side by side within a post. Attachments are only allowed in the Fan Creations forum and must be relatively on topic. We have a maximum file size of 40KB and all attachments must me in .jpg or .gif format. NO .BMPs!

11. One ONE account, please. This means that once you've signed up, please don't sign up again. Please just choose your name wisely, if you REALLY want your name changed, ask Bamfette. Multiple accounts (especially using them to post to yourself) will result in BOTH accounts being deleted.

12. 'post padding'. by that i mean filling out short little nothing posts with a bunch of nonsense characters or smilies, like so: ############ to meet the 50 character limit will NOT be tolerated. We will simply delete any and all posts that are in violation of this, no questions asked. just *poof*, your post is gone. if you have something to say, make sure it adds to the conversation before you post. 'me too!' or 'that's cool!' or idle chit-chat is not adding to the conversation. The only place exempt from this is in Off-Topic Antics, in the game threads such as the Word Association game.

Well, that's that. We don't wanna be modding with an iron fist, as I don't think that that encourages a healthy board, but sometimes it helps to actually have the rules and consequences for breaking said rules written out. So there you go.

HAPPY SCRAWLING!!!
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Hsu »

You got it boss! :D
[spoiler]I hate post whores![/spoiler]
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

that makes perfect sense. *wonders what made this topic nessecary?* (I always miss the cool controversial bits;))
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Post by Panz »

well said Jefe!
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Post by little Blue Lucy »

I was going to post a topic that had to do with one that was already on here (Rule number seven) but I was like okay that would be a little pointless:P:laugh:
Vala: "Hello."
Daniel: "What the hell are you doing here?"
Vala: "Isn't this my room?"
Daniel: "Noooo… your room is across the hall… with the… guard in front of it."
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"
Daniel: "No, we shalln't."
Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member #11 :engarde

:respectnc and they'll respect you, back.
BamfKat
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BamfKat »

Word! :bamf:
BamfKat,
Hey, is it supposed to smoke like that? :bamf
BlueJubatus
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BlueJubatus »

I hear and obey, fearless leader:P
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

I was wondering that too. I am terribly concerned that I've made cause for this thread!:shame::rolleyes:
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"

ahmed
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by ahmed »

I think an example of a useless post would be the example given in the description of Off'Topic Antics. Either that or writing "Windshield wipes" in a thread about The rules in Nightscrawlers. Speaking of which, check my next post here. I apologize in advance, but I can't resist...
"Earthwormearthwormearthwormearthworm Jim! Hoo-ray for him!!!"

"Eat Dirt, evildoer!!!!!"

"By The Great Worm, whose segments stretch across the infinite universe."

Coalition for 'Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#8

Teen Scrawlers #1
ahmed
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by ahmed »

Windshield wipes.:):D

Teen Scrawlers #1
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

None of your posts seem inappropriate to me.

Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Post by Panz »

Yeah, Crawler...define "Useless post?"...I think we are all guilty of it sometimes, giveus a thump if we are doing the no-no, so that we have an idea of what you mean.
Otherwise:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P *a 22 tongue salute*:laugh:
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Yeah, I agree on that, Pandora. Clarify, please, Crawler. If you get right down to it, we all (even you) post things that to others could be perceived as useless or pointless.

I know I've been gone a week, but I think I can guess why the rules have been posted. That's fine. Now, the only problem is that without some "useless" posts, we don't get to know each other and we'll lose the sense of community we've always cherished. I've been to boards where you're afraid to post anything because it'll offend someone. Those boards die.

As much as I'd hate it, I'll leave this place before I see that happen.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

OCT. 28 - NEWLY UPDATED RULES. Read this before posting again.

Post by kurtlover »

me too, i want and explanation about that, for the other things i understand fearless leader :)
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Yah one thing I think we all tease and it's good natured. We're all buds. It's fun!:laugh: I love it! I don't want this board to get too formal!:rolleyes: (Geez I'm hyper wow!:ooh: )

ahmed
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by ahmed »

You guys have got to cut down on that chocolate...

Teen Scrawlers #1
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

ok people here is a little clarfications on the topics, specificlaly Nightcrawler and Not-Crawler, as some people have been a bit miffed when i moved a topic.

a general topic about Uncanny, Excalibur, or whatever should be in Not-Crawler. while Nightcrawler is IN it, the topic of discussion could very well come to be all about say... Archangel or Captain Britain rather than Kurt.

if you want to talk about something specific about Nightcrawler IN Uncanny (or whatever) make the topic clear, like 'did you like Nightcrawler's Aye Carumba' line?" or somehting to do with Mystique and Nightcrawlers relationship, or whatever. then it will stay in Nightcrawler.... clear?

as to why Crawler posted the rules. well i think it is just a few... ah... over excited posters who shall remain nameless, that have made it necessary. nothing malicious or anything, just that they clearly didn't have an understanding of the rules/guidelines which were assumed to be self apparent. i really don't think Crawelr is intending to try and squash the friendly atmosphere at all. in a sense these rules have always been there, it's just that everyone followed them anyway, so they never had to be said.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

I'm not trying to squash anything at all. The rules are here just to remind people of the previously unposted rules. And I never said "No Useless Posts." Sometimes the useless posts are the most fun. I mean, that's why we have an Off-Topic Forum. It's fun! Rule #4 simply means that if you are sitting around posting in every single thread without mush to say, or if you a driving on-topic threads off topic withou saying anything on-topic, then stop.
My own personal rule that I try to adhere myself to is "If you can't get 2 sentences in your post, you don't have enough to say." I'm not saying that you have to do that 100% of the time, afterall, sometimes you want to reply and toss your 2 cents in, but all you have is 1 cent. And that's fine...just dont do it all the time.

I like the informal atmosphere here. That's part of there reason this place exists. But there's a line between informal & friendly and chaotic & spammed. I think if everyone watches their own posts this place will stay within the informal & friendly zone.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Truer words Crawler, and Jill! Danke to both of you:), and ahmed, actually it isn't chocolate that makes me hyper. It's comics! Too many comics!

Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

Y'mean like on Wizard World where people would post replies like "I agree." or "me too!"

I frequently post one sentence replies, but they're usually run-on sentences..

This is all my fault, I just know it...
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

I'm thinking the same thing about me!:shame: *worried*

Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

It's not due to any one person. It's just that I came back from my little "too-busy-to-post" hiatus and found things to be a little out of hand, IMO, and I just didn't want things to completely fall apart.
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

I understand.:)
and Sheemie I've been doing the same thing (tacking another sentence on I mean);):laugh:

Nightfollower
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Nightfollower »

I totally agree with the respect rule.

I seem to be getting yelled at a bit because of my opinion on Wolverine and my other opininions, cuz no one reads things properly these days.
Nightfollower.

Insert sig here.

LiveJournal
Stormwatch
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Stormwatch »

As I am fighting to get back into the habit of posting here, after my little hiatus ;) I think the rules are all grand.

I think that you just have to remember several things.

Respect, common sense (which I can lack at times with computers) and maturity. (yeah, maturity, but, keep things fun, and it kinda goes with respect. Not thinking of *puffs chest out* big mean stupid maturity, but, mature fun maturity, if what i'm thinking makes any sense :?)

okay, thats my two cents. :D Now I gotta go catch up on everything. meep :shocked: ;)
:panther: 66 Bridges
:daredevil: 25 Cents of Time

But I DO have big teeth.