Uncanny X-Men General Discussion Reload

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Here's a link to some preview pages of Uncanny #446.

Can't wait to see the rest. :D
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

Originally posted by Shadow_Dancer
Here's a link to some preview pages of Uncanny #446.

Can't wait to see the rest. :D
EEEK! now I can't wait to see what happens! *waits impatiently for wednesday*
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

I can't wait either! Of course I still have 7 comics I haven't read. God, I'm so far behind. I spend way too much time on the PC. :P
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Post by Panz »

:eek Now THAT'S nasty....A pox on that Claremont fellow for making me chew my nails in agitation. :LOL

Davis can REALLY cary the mood, can he not? :love
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

My copy of UXM #446 came in the mail today. All I can say is Wow! I haven't enjoyed a story arc so much in years.

So glad to have Kurt, Ro and Logan back together again, and Davis' artwork is superb. :nodyes:thumbup
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

If you're a Kurt fan you just CAN'T dislike this issue !

The Kurt/Sage fight is just awesome !
Alan Davis loves Nightcrawler, and he shows it !

Ok, the plot wasn't really something more than a big fight, but it was highly enjoyable, nonetheless.

Seeing the Kurt/Ororo/Logan trio in action is INDEED impressive.
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

I agree! Great issue! I'm dieing to see what Sage has in mind for the Fury. Thanks Claremont/Davis! :thumbup

Did anyone get the feeling when Rachel flew in the air in flames that the [spoiler] Phoenix [/spoiler] would be coming back?

Perhaps I wonder too much! lol
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Sage processes data at speeds that put the fastest computer to shame.

:eek:o:smirk:shocked:shakeno:toothy:tonguewag:die
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
mightiest_mortal
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by mightiest_mortal »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic

:eek:o:smirk:shocked:shakeno:toothy:tonguewag:die
Dont most people? what with the seeing and hearing and stuff.
Id be kind of worried if she processed it at the same speed as a 486.
The preview looks a little same old same old. The furys taking over people and will probably try to make storm his Queen some time in the future no doubt.
Can the Fury telepathically control wires now then?... otherwise thats like somebody hacking into your computer and making wires grow out and take over the people on the computer. Aint really gonna happen.. unles Sage built mind controlling abilities into all the sunglasses, which is a little shady in itself.
KurtnMeggan
Lubber
Lubber

Post by KurtnMeggan »

I thought this issue was superb and respond in kind with others that this has been perhaps the most enjoyable story on this book in years, thus far.

And yes, Alan Davis DOES love Kurt and CAN carry a mood. He and his colorist did amazing things this issue that really made the story stunning, without much having to happen.

And yes, the Storm/Wolverine/Nightcrawler interaction was priceless and reminded me why I loved them all in the past and had found them bland until recently. He just KNOWS hw to write these characters. If only Colossus had been there to round out the group:(:colossus:
Meggan and Kurt! Love them! You know you wanna;):meggan
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Originally posted by mightiest_mortal
Dont most people? what with the seeing and hearing and stuff.
Id be kind of worried if she processed it at the same speed as a 486.
Ha! I wasn't even thinking of it that way. Just how Claremont can't go more than a couple hundred words without saying "puts to shame".

And the issue was same old same old, only with a hollow feel to it. IMO. It actually pissed me off when Kurt said [spoiler]"the Sage I remember worked for the Hellfire Club." You... you don't remember her!! She was NEVER FRICKING THERE. I hate the character (Sage) even more now because she's just one big stupid retcon.[/spoiler] I mean, I knew that before, but pointing it out with lines like that just makes it worse.

And since when is Kurt fighting without teleporting a big deal?? Eh?? Eh?? I didn't even realize it was meant to be confusing (until it was blatantly pointed out) as I've seen him do it dozens of times before. Now, Kurt fighting with, say, a gun. THAT would be a change in tactics. Ugh. Just ugh.

Extreme eloquence on the part of fellow posters convinced me last issue didn't suck. That won't be happening this time.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Ooh, should just add really quick that I loved the art. The shot of Kurt [spoiler]holding all Sage's guns[/spoiler] was so cute!!
Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Banned

Post by Winged Outlaw »

This story has been pretty good so far, and as such Uncanny is probably gonna be the only Core X-Book I won't drop. My only problem here is that the Fury is basically Marvel's equivalent of DC's Doomsday. This thing killed every single super-powered being in its original reality, and posed such a threat that a higher power (I'm not familiar enough with Captain Britain continuity to say who) destroyed the Fury's original reality in an attempt to contain it. And it still lived, to go on to plague Captain Britain many more times, each battle being fought with heavy casualties.

In other words... Cannonball, Rachel, and Bishop should all be long dead by now. But I guess I can overlook it seeing as how they're main characters and all. Just doesn't make sense that a relatively small team of mutants could succeed where a whole reality failed.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Originally posted by Winged Outlaw

In other words... Cannonball, Rachel, and Bishop should all be long dead by now. But I guess I can overlook it seeing as how they're main characters and all. Just doesn't make sense that a relatively small team of mutants could succeed where a whole reality failed.

If Fury killed all our merry mutants there would be no X-Men left. That would kill the whole X franchise right then and there wouldn't it? :P
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Yeah, I agree, Northstar, we don't want our favourite X-Men dead !
But still, in the end, I guess the Fury won't look as impressive as he did during his first appearence.
www.atlantys.biz

Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Winged Outlaw »

Originally posted by **Northstars Love**
Originally posted by Winged Outlaw

If Fury killed all our merry mutants there would be no X-Men left. That would kill the whole X franchise right then and there wouldn't it? :P
I know :p I'm just saying... the fury's kinda like putting the X-Men up against a psycho Superman or something... its not terribly realistic. A different villain probably would have been better, unless Claremont is about to delve into some kind of yet-to-be-seen plot involving the REAL Captain Britain. As it stands, it seems he just sorta picked the Fury at random... kinda mean to do to your beloved characters :LOL
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Personally, I'm enjoying all the "callbacks" that they're doing. First the image inducer and the dinner date from 101, and now, with Wolverine's little stund, we have a humorous herald to #98 (I think, or maybe it was #97?) And they're not just tossed out there without rhyme or reason: they do make sense in the story.

Clairmont has a lot of talent... but, I must agree, his "puts [x] to shame" seems to be his uber-favorite microwriting piece. It'd be nice if he'd be more conscious of it....

And the Xmen have a long legacy of going up against powerful, kick-ass monsters that they don't have a *chance* of defeating. Do you honestly think anyone had a chance against Dark Phoenix? The second guardian of the M'Kren Crystal? Nimrod? And there's a bunch more that I can't think of right now. It gives the writer a chance to show off the effect of teamwork against an uber-powerful thing no one can take down alone: brain against brawn.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BAMFCentral »

It actually pissed me off when Kurt said [spoiler]"the Sage I remember worked for the Hellfire Club." You... you don't remember her!! She was NEVER FRICKING THERE. I hate the character (Sage) even more now because she's just one big stupid retcon.[/spoiler] I mean, I knew that before, but pointing it out with lines like that just makes it worse.
Using spoiler tag, though everyone probably has already read the issue by now... [spoiler]
Haven't found an issue yet were Sage and Kurt meet and talk. But they have been present in the same room together while she was working for the Hellfire club *cough* spying for chuck *cough*.

Sage I believe made her debut back in the 80's, around the same time as Rachel Summers. I will have to look up the issue were the two meet up... Marvel reprinted the issue in Essential X-Men VOl 5
[/spoiler]
SmoothBamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by SmoothBamf »

I hate sage aswell but I really enjoyed all of nightcrawlers dialog during that sean your talking about
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Originally posted by Maelstrom
Personally, I'm enjoying all the "callbacks" that they're doing. First the image inducer and the dinner date from 101, and now, with Wolverine's little stund, we have a humorous herald to #98 (I think, or maybe it was #97?) And they're not just tossed out there without rhyme or reason: they do make sense in the story.

I felt the same way Amy. I was getting the feeling it was very reminiscent of issue #98 all over again. Wolverine tearing part a long dress so the ladies can have move freedon of movement. lol Issue 100-101 seeing Rachel flying through the air in flames and crashing into the water.(Phoneix's return?)

I don't mind a few "call-backs" as you say Amy but I still would like to see some original writing and not always use past ideas, change them somewhat, just to get a story across. Don't get me wrong I love Claremont but I don't want the past to be used to drive the story. We "oldies" :P heh...understand these callbacks because we read them when. But others do not. I dunno. I just feel once it's used don't use it again.

Of course that can be said of almost anything! :)

And the Xmen have a long legacy of going up against powerful, kick-ass monsters that they don't have a *chance* of defeating. Do you honestly think anyone had a chance against Dark Phoenix? The second guardian of the M'Kren Crystal? Nimrod? And there's a bunch more that I can't think of right now. It gives the writer a chance to show off the effect of teamwork against an uber-powerful thing no one can take down alone: brain against brawn.

Dark Phoenix was defeated only because she willed it. Jean herself knew the potential she had to destroy the universe. She consumed a whole star that killed millions of people. She couldn't be controlled. No one could defeat her by themselves or as a team.. It was her good side that eventually defeated the evil side. She knew what had to be done so she took control of the situation and killed herself.

Of course now we know this wasn't really her but an exact copy provided by ala the Phoenix Force.
Bamf Bunny
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Bamf Bunny »

I just read the original Captain Britain stories with the Fury for the first time yesterday, and, Alan Davis or no Alan Davis, I think he's a poor choice of villain for the X-Men. The whole point of the character is that he kills superheroes. It's his purpose in existence, and in the CB stories he's an unimaginably powerful, implacable enemy who tears through Superman-like beings as though they're tissue paper.

What's the point of using the Fury if he's not going to kill? What's the point of using the Fury if instead of simple, straightforward attacks, he's taking time out from killing to hack Sage's glasses? It's like buying a ticket to a boxing match only to see the champion trying out a little thumb wrestling before he gets started.
Paulus aber sprach: Ich wünschte vor Gott, es fehle nun an viel oder an wenig, daß nicht allein du, sondern alle, die mich heute hören, solche würden, wie ich bin, ausgenommen diese Bande.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Being one of the few villains that Alan Moore has created for Marvel, I had also hoped the Fury would have done more damage !
So it's GREAT to see this villain again, after decades of limboes, but yeah, it's a shame that it doesn't have any impact.
www.atlantys.biz

SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by SheCat »

I wasn't very impressed by the issue. Maybe it's because I despise Storm and don't care about Wolvie, but nothing in it excited me. The Nightcrawler scene with the guns was cute, but the dialogue seemed bland and dry. And, as Winged Outlaw has pointed out, the Fury kills things, it doesn't just fry their shades. To me, it seems like the Fury was just a random villain Claremont chose. :\ So far, Claremont hasn't held my interest.

By the way, is this in the same timeline as Adjectiveless? Because Rems and Rogue are in China, not the gym...
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Winged Outlaw »

Originally posted by SheCat
I wasn't very impressed by the issue. Maybe it's because I despise Storm and don't care about Wolvie, but nothing in it excited me. The Nightcrawler scene with the guns was cute, but the dialogue seemed bland and dry. And, as Winged Outlaw has pointed out, the Fury kills things, it doesn't just fry their shades. To me, it seems like the Fury was just a random villain Claremont chose. : So far, Claremont hasn't held my interest.

By the way, is this in the same timeline as Adjectiveless? Because Rems and Rogue are in China, not the gym...
To be fair... so is Wolverine :p I'd say that its a safe bet that these two books aren't exactly on the same timeline.
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Originally posted by Maelstrom
I see what you mean. I looked back at the early issues and just started to laugh...but, as others have said, the "callbacks" make the story less original. It's great that they remind us of the earlier issues, don't get me wrong, but they don't need to place reminders in every new issue that comes out
*takes a breath*

I just want to know how this is gonna end, and what happened to Meggan and ...*cringe* Brian.
one name: Bruce Campbell