The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
blueberrymuffin
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by blueberrymuffin »

I wanted to start the 1602 thread again cuz I was having a fun time checking it to see what everyone thinks is on the way. Unfortunately I don't have the links for the images that have been released, they were on the last thread. If someone knows where they are and wants to link them, that would be great.
I'm really interested to see what kind of actual historical figures they are going to put in the book. The 17th century was full of turmoil and many villains/ heroes of it's own. I'm interested to see if the marvel characters interact with the historical figures from that time period, or if it will only be marvel characters interacting together. I haven't heard much about this.......what do you all think?:?
"I deserve sympathy for the sins of my sordid past, not scorn. Those were difficult days, I was probably very confused and out of my mind on drink or drugs. It's not always about 'good' and 'evil' Scott dear." Emma

"I can't believe what some mutants are up to right now in the privacy of their own homes." Emma (again)
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

while in San Diego, i attended a number of panels by Gaiman, and overall he was very good about revealing precicely nothing new about it, tho he did talk about it. :p but what little he did say was really cool, and i really really want to see more :D and yeah, looks like the MU in the 17th century.

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthr ... eadid=4718

describes one of the panels.

as for pics, Newsarama has a bunch.
http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthr ... eadid=4754

http://newsarama.com/forums/showthread. ... eadid=4684
Moongazer
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Moongazer »

I absolutely cannot wait until it comes out. I'm extremely excited about it.
Snoogans.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

Gaiman is quite possibly the coolest man on Earth. San Diego would have been worth it just for him (luckily, there were many other perks, as well. ;) )

1602 will be one of the few books that I'll pick up in single issues.

The only thing that may disappoint me a bit also helps guarantee that another disappointment will NOT happen. Neil has said that he hasn't alowed himself to play with any X-Men beyond the original team...which means no Nightcrawler. So that's bad. But it also means no Wolverine hogging the spotlight! So that's good!

:D
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Post by Panz »

I am uncertain if I will be picking it up or not, but Gaimen is so completely charming and such a good speaker, i'd go listen to just about anything he had to say....I tend to enjoy his other works, so I will at least give it a peek.

Panz
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by sevati »

I haven't heard much as to plot, but I have to say I LOVE the style of drawing. Wowwie wow wow. *wonders how Walken appeared and shoves him back into the attic* :D

This is the series that's raising money to sue Spawn's creator, yes?
I've left the board. Friends know where to find me :)
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

Gaimen's never disappointed me so far and this series looks great! I don't think there's any point in worrying that this will re-write MU history as it seems to be more about a strange re-occurrences (pre-occurrences?) of events.

And Gaimen already won that lawsuit. Mcfarlane is appealing but it probably won't matter.
Magic Rabbit
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Magic Rabbit »

Wow - thanks for the great links! I totally love the artwork.
"If we crash I can't win!" - Speed Racer

:bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny

:blossom :bubbles :buttercup
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

and of course, a full colour preview, with text! woo!

http://www.popcultureshock.com/news.php?id=175
blueberrymuffin
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

:surprise

Yeah, Bamfette. You rule. Those are new pages that have been released...yes? I haven't seen those before. I'm so excited I could just scream right here in my office. but I won't. I'll wait 'till I get to my car at lunch.
Only three more weeks!!!!!!!!!!!:D

PS. I randomly happen to be reading a Neil Gaiman book right now. Totally by coincidence. My friend gave it to me to read and I started it (loving it by the way) not even realizing until last night that it was the same guy! Must pay more attention in the future:smirk
"I deserve sympathy for the sins of my sordid past, not scorn. Those were difficult days, I was probably very confused and out of my mind on drink or drugs. It's not always about 'good' and 'evil' Scott dear." Emma

"I can't believe what some mutants are up to right now in the privacy of their own homes." Emma (again)
Shadywhisk
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Shadywhisk »

I think the concept is amazingly inventive and can't wait to see how it plays out. I'm always so impressed when writers come up with such outlandish ideas but make them work!
Owner of the Bamf-mobile - the next best thing to teleportation
Dracadancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Dracadancer »

So...what did everybody who picked it up today think? I'm really digging on it myself. The art was superb and the story intriguing. Have to say I liked Master Murdoch the Irish balladeer’s look the best, but Sir Nicholas Fury and Warren were defiantly up there also. 1602 really has met up to its hype; I would highly recommend it if you haven’t picked up it yet. Can’t wait for the next one to come out now.
###Dracadancer's Lair### ---> Your all purpose website

Random Quote of the Week: "Reports that say that something hasn’t happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns, there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don’t know we don’t know."
This year’s winner of the Foot in the Mouth award Donald Rumsfeld
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

I went to the store to get this and Exiles... but thier Marvel stuff had not arrived yet :mad tomorrow, i guess...
Moongazer
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Moongazer »

I haven't gotten it, either. In fact, I haven't gotten Exiles, either. But tomorrow, I'll hopefully go out and get them. I'm really excited about 1602.
Snoogans.
Morph13
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Morph13 »

for anyone who can help me, whose the girl Virginia on the ship?
Dracadancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Dracadancer »

I was wondering that too... Since I just follow X-men and not the whole Marvel universe I'm not sure if she has a counterpart or not. Most of the others were pretty easy to figure out though. Here's a quick run down of characters so far (in spoiler format in case someone hasn't read it yet or wants to figure it out for themselves).

[spoiler]Sir Nicholas Fury - Nick Fury
Doctor Stephen Strange - Dr. Strange
Peter Parquagh - Peter Parker (Spiderman)
Matthew Murdoch (blind Irish balladeer) - Matt Murdoch (Daredevil)
Count Otto Von Doom - Dr. Doom
Grand Inquisitor - Magneto??? (guessing here)
Petros - Pietro Django Maximoff (Quicksilver)
Sister Wanda - Wanda Django Maximoff (Scarlet Witch)
Virginia - Storm??? (again I'm guessing here and I didn't think she was even suppose to be in 1602 but it's the white hair and blue eyes plus all the talk of the weather that makes me wonder....)
Rojhaz - Captian America
Carlos Javier - Charles Francis Xavier (Prof. X) *I'm still debating if or not he's the last Templar (old guy with the box) though*
Scotius Summerisle - Scott Summers (Cyclops)
Robert Trefusis - Bobby Drake (Iceman)
John Grey - Jean Grey (Marvel Girl)
Guy with wings they tried to burn - Warren W. III (Angel)[/spoiler]

I think that's most of the characters up to this point. Do tell me if I missed somebody. Anybody else have different ideas about who any of the characters are?

Random Quote of the Week: "Reports that say that something hasn’t happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns, there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don’t know we don’t know."
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

I think you've pretty much covered everybody, there.

I'm particularly impressed with this book, by the way. The artwork is incredible, and it looks like a wonderfully complex storyline. Of course, I would expect nothing less from the genious who brought us Sandman, but even so....

Gorgeous. Just gorgeous. :content I'll definitely be following this one.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
blueberrymuffin
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

virginia is not an x-man or a member of the marvel universe from what I understand. she a fictitious/historical figure depending on how you look at it.
The Legend goes that the first settlement at Jamestown (which is I think where she is from) dissapeared. But before they did, it was reported that the govenor or whatever he was and his wife had given birth to the first child of the new world. Her name was Virginia. The Settlers of Jamestown dissapeared and left one word carved on a tree "Croaton" I think. this being the name of a nearby island that they were to go to if there was any trouble. They were on the island of Roanoke to start off. That's where they dissapeared from anyway. I'm a little shaky on all this and I might be wrong since this is all memory from high school history class.
But I think that she is the daughter of the governor or whatever he was. So historically she would have dissapeared, but in the Marvel Universe of 1602 I guess she was sent as a deligate to England.

I may be wrong about all this. But I'm pretty sure I'm right. Please don't be too mean if I'm wrong. PLEASE.
PS. I love this book. I wish it was ongoing and not only.....is it 13 issues now? Gaiman keeps changing his mind on each interview I read.

Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Originally posted by blueberrymuffin
virginia is not an x-man or a member of the marvel universe from what I understand. she a fictitious/historical figure depending on how you look at it.
The Legend goes that the first settlement at Jamestown (which is I think where she is from) dissapeared. But before they did, it was reported that the govenor or whatever he was and his wife had given birth to the first child of the new world. Her name was Virginia. The Settlers of Jamestown dissapeared and left one word carved on a tree "Croaton" I think. this being the name of a nearby island that they were to go to if there was any trouble. They were on the island of Roanoke to start off. That's where they dissapeared from anyway. I'm a little shaky on all this and I might be wrong since this is all memory from high school history class.
But I think that she is the daughter of the governor or whatever he was. So historically she would have dissapeared, but in the Marvel Universe of 1602 I guess she was sent as a deligate to England.

I may be wrong about all this. But I'm pretty sure I'm right. Please don't be too mean if I'm wrong. PLEASE.
PS. I love this book. I wish it was ongoing and not only.....is it 13 issues now? Gaiman keeps changing his mind on each interview I read.
Ahhh! So THAT's the historical reference they're using! Thank you for reminding us about it. I remember the story of the "Lost Roakoke Colony" from way back, but I would never have thought to connect it with this. It will be interesting to see what they do with this girl, as they seem to imply that she has some kind of ability that she can't completely control.....
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Dracadancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Dracadancer »

Very impressed you remembered so much bbmuffin! Now that I know what to look for I found a thing or two about Virginia Dare. Okay everybody, history lesson time!

Dare, Virginia, b. 1587, first white child of English parents to be born in America. She was the daughter of Ananias and Elenor Dare, members of Sir Walter Raleigh's ill-fated colony that settled Roanoke Island on the North Carolina coast. Since no trace remained of the colony when the relief expedition reached Roanoke in 1591, the child's fate is not known.
(This Virginia would be 15 in the comic then, I'll buy that. But I still think the 1602 Virginia character might have something to do with Storm since she does look like her and they hint at weather powers. We'll just have to wait and see I guess. ;))

Roanoke Island, 12 mi (19 km) long and 3 mi (4.8 km) wide, NE N.C., off the Atlantic coast in Croatan Sound between Albemarle and Pamlico sounds. Manteo is the chief town, and tourism and fishing are the principal industries. The English navigators Philip Amadas and Arthur Barlowe, exploring for Sir Walter Raleigh in 1584, brought back such glowing accounts that Raleigh dispatched a colonizing expedition under Sir Richard Grenville and Sir Ralph Lane. The colonists landed on Roanoke Island in Aug., 1585, and built the “Citie of Ralegh” (or New Fort), but they returned to England the next year. In 1587 Raleigh sent another group under John White. Forced to return to England for supplies, White was unable to return until 1591, when he found the colonists gone and the letters CROATOAN carved on a tree. This gave rise to a theory that the settlers had moved to Croatoan Island or had joined the Croatoan or Hatteras Native Americans. Another theory was later advanced with the discovery (1937–40) of some 40 stone tablets inscribed with what some believe to be the history of the “lost colony.” The inscriptions tell of the death of many of the colonists (including Virginia Dare) from disease and Native American attacks and of the migration of others into the country's interior, as far away as Atlanta, Ga. The stones' authenticity, however, is questionable. In 1937 Paul Green's symphonic drama The Lost Colony was presented to commemorate the 350th anniversary of the landing of White's colony. Archaeologists at Fort Raleigh National Historic Site uncovered many artifacts of the colony during the late 1940s. In 1998 scientists said that a study of tree rings showed that the colonists had faced one of the worst droughts in the area's history.

blueberrymuffin
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

YAY!! I was right. Dracadancer- thanks for filling in the gaps and making it an actually coherent explanation (as apposed to my rambling).

I don't think she's supposed to be Storm's counterpart though. Gaiman's only using the original X-Men crew......Storm wasn't on it. Same reason no nighty.

Bamf Bunny
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Bamf Bunny »

1602 avoids the trap that too many "familiar characters, new setting" stories fall into - endlessly referring to what's already been done without telling a standalone story. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen had this problem for me from time to time - page after page of significant looks and indirect dialogue that left me dozing, but I'd look up Barb Lien's guide and find out they'd name-checked a hundred Victorian stories. In constrast, you could imagine Gaiman writing 1602 even if the Marvel Universe had never been (though the particular names and turns of phrase would lose their resonance ...)

But I kept asking "Didn't Gaiman write this before?" The idea that certain people, even certain stories, recur cyclically throughout history was a big theme in Sandman. Even smaller details, like the [spoiler]beardless John Gray on the boat - surely he'll turn out to be Jean Gray disguised as a boy?[/spoiler], have exact parallels elsewhere in Gaiman's work. The characters are already providing enough vague familiarity without the themes and situations doing the same.

I just hope Virginia Dare doesn't turn out to be Storm's distant ancestor.
Paulus aber sprach: Ich wünschte vor Gott, es fehle nun an viel oder an wenig, daß nicht allein du, sondern alle, die mich heute hören, solche würden, wie ich bin, ausgenommen diese Bande.
Melylott
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Melylott »

I dobut she is, she's not black. Storm's family traces back to Africa that long ago. Maybe on her dad's side. I like Virginia, I think they're building that she might be witchbreed.
:abyss Abyss's Number Two Fan! I Love Nils!!! :abyss
:austen
"The Shire is THAT way!"
---Frodo, One Ring to Rule Them All 2 (Greatest Flash EVAH!11)
#1 Fan of Blue!Jill. Sorry Bamfette. ^_^ :jillian
I love Wither!
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Witchbreed, yes, but what kind? Everyone so far has been based off of a specific and (often) identifiable character. So who is she supposed to be? Or will she be a completely new and unique character?
Dracadancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Dracadancer »

Originally posted by Melylott
I dobut she is, she's not black. Storm's family traces back to Africa that long ago. Maybe on her dad's side.
Actually Ororo was born to David Munroe, an American photojournalist, and N'Dar, an Kenyan princess, in New York City. While she was just a baby her parents moved to Cairo, Egypt because of a job assignment. Her white hair and blue eyes were suppose to have been from her mother's side though, since all the women of N'Dare's sorcery line had white hair and blue eyes before her. But doesn't 'N'Dare' sound an awful lot like Virginia 'Dare'? How much you want to bet Virginia is going to end up in Kenya at some point? Anybody ready to agree with me yet about Virginia being related to Storm in some way? ;)

I've heard Gaiman intended 1602 to be set in the actual historical Marvel universe continum. In which case, if everyone's great great great etc. grandparents are the characters, then John Grey may actually BE a John Grey and not a Jean, though if he is a guy he's a bit of a girly looking guy.