Nightcrawler Origins

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by Angelique »

Read it, loved it, and if the writers and editors seize this opportunity, I will consider this the reboot I've thought Nightcrawler and his history needed for years. All the cool stuff is still there, and the rest is tabula rasa.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by Elfdame »

Glad to hear everyone weighing in. Anxious to see how it flies with neling...
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by love_of_bob »

I reviewed it here.
Nachtkriec
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by Nachtkriec »

wait, i havent been reading the orign stores, so i am confused is it a series on him or is it just one comic book :halogrin
Der Unglaubliche Nachtkriec!
The Incredible Nightcrawler!
http://www.midtowncomics.com/
http://www.fanfiction.net/
(those arent my websites)
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by Angelique »

It is unfortunately one book.

That being said, I think it was one very good book that ironed out a lot of stuff that previously made no sense about Kurt's history. For instance, if Kurt were raised in a Gypsy circus, it would make little sense for him to freqeuantly code switch from English to German but never speak any Romani. And if he were raised by the Szardos' and didn't know anything about his biological family, how he got the name Wagner. I take this book as an invitation to keep everything that was cool in Kurt's history. (Stefan, for whatever reason, is dead. Mephisto uses Stefan to try to bargain with Kurt, prompting the appropriate reaction from Kurt. It's cool, so it's still there.) This is also an invitation to disregard everything that was sick, wrong, or otherwise poorly handled about his history (Azzy, the priesthood, and everything having anything to do with a relationship between Kurt and Amanda after the whole "surprise, surprise, I'm your sister in disguise" thing.)

[Edited on 25/3/2010 by Angelique]
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by Esynthia »

Nachtkriec wrote:wait, i havent been reading the orign stores, so i am confused is it a series on him or is it just one comic book :halogrin
The origins comics are a series of one-shots. so far, they've done Wolverine, Jean Grey, Gambit, Sabretooth, iceman, Cyclops, and now Nightcrawler.
ImageImage

Remy: he feels lust for everyone
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Wait... so... what?

I read it.
I liked it a lot, the story is great, the artwork is fantastic... but........

what in the hell happened to the Stefan storyplot? I thought he died, and Kurt was found by Xavier immediately after?

Also; there is no credit given to Dave Cockrum for the use of the original Kurt Intro in Giant Size X-Men #1 :bamf

[Edited on 26/3/10 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by neling4 »

Elfdame wrote:Glad to hear everyone weighing in. Anxious to see how it flies with neling...
Sorry I took so long. I wanted to let my thoughts about it simmer for a bit. :Z

Enough simmering. :cracked

I liked it. I thought it was a sweet story, with lots of angst and lots of retcons. However, as to whether or not it retcons the retcon of He Who Shall Not Be Named You Know Who...Azazel, I think the jury is still out. On the one hand, they do not mention Mr. Azz. On the other hand, they also do not mention Erik Wagner, but have Kurt name himself after Father Wagner, the priest who took him in.

That leaves the identity of his father rather up-in-the-air, so-to-speak.

In and of itself, the story was good. I'm not sure if the retcons are deliberate, or the result of lack of research. I am hoping they are deliberate.
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Well, last I checked, Chuck Austen had said in his blog back in like... '07? That Marvel was much more interested in retconning his shit than keep it going. They have purposely not addressed it for awhile for a reason.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by Karl »

I've been trying to find a copy of the new Origins book, but there are precious few comic stores around where I live. The only one I found that had had a few copies was all sold out by the time I got there. Does anyone know anyplace online that I might be able to get one? Or would anyone who has ready access to a comics store be willing to buy one and send it to me? I will gladly pay whatever it costs plus postage, and you will have my undying gratitude as well.
Nachtkriec
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by Nachtkriec »

theres one at cams in Cleveland, i dont no if they have that comic though :(
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by neling4 »

Karl wrote:I've been trying to find a copy of the new Origins book, but there are precious few comic stores around where I live. The only one I found that had had a few copies was all sold out by the time I got there. Does anyone know anyplace online that I might be able to get one? Or would anyone who has ready access to a comics store be willing to buy one and send it to me? I will gladly pay whatever it costs plus postage, and you will have my undying gratitude as well.
This is my favorite place to order from when I can't find something locally, or if I missed a back issue:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/index.html

Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by Karl »

Vielen dank to Nachtkriec and neling4 for their kind and rapid responses! I've ordered it from milehighcomics, which looks like a good site to also find back issues. :)
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by love_of_bob »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:Well, last I checked, Chuck Austen had said in his blog back in like... '07? That Marvel was much more interested in retconning his shit than keep it going. They have purposely not addressed it for awhile for a reason.
They addressed it in the Manifest Destiny: Nightcrawler one-shot.
Nachtkriec
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by Nachtkriec »

i dont really like chuck austen's comics, i have heard that alot of people dont like him either, so why is marvel even publishing his comics? feel free not answer me, cause i am not shure what i am talking about really.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Chuck, thankfully is done.

And they did mention it, you're right. Strange, they had done such a good job not doing so.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by Elfdame »

My personal hunch is that Asmus wanted to lay groundwork to deny the demon origins. No reason to believe that, only a hunch, although he *might* have alluded to such desires in his Quitting Time post of 14 March. :whistle
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

deadpixiedust
Lubber
Lubber

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by deadpixiedust »

All I know is that this left me a bit confused. Did anyone else spot "doc mojo" ? or was I hallucinating? Poor Nighty your new past is even more sad than the old. *snuggles* :(

Kurt was freaking gorgeous though. :smirk
*.*.*.deadpixiedust.*.*.*
DreadPirateBluetail
Lubber
Lubber

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by DreadPirateBluetail »

I saw Doc Mojo, too! Very bizarre. I ignored it, like so many other things I can't understand.

deadpixiedust wrote: Kurt was freaking gorgeous though. :smirk
Truer words were never spoken.
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by love_of_bob »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:Chuck, thankfully is done.

And they did mention it, you're right. Strange, they had done such a good job not doing so.
Kurt also says he's the "son of a demon" in X-Infernus.
deadpixiedust wrote:All I know is that this left me a bit confused. Did anyone else spot "doc mojo" ? or was I hallucinating?
Am I supposed to know who Doc Mojo is?
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by neling4 »

I assume "Doc Mojo" is a reference to Mojo of Mojo World:

http://marvel.com/universe/Mojo

deadpixiedust
Lubber
Lubber

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by deadpixiedust »

deadpixiedust wrote:All I know is that this left me a bit confused. Did anyone else spot "doc mojo" ? or was I hallucinating?
Am I supposed to know who Doc Mojo is? [/quote]

Well, like neiling commented I was thinking of Mojo. I was wondering if perhaps he is somehow Mojo in human form? Or is he some random psycho/evil doc that's named after him?

I liked the idea of Sacassa' of Kurt really being in a cage for only a short time but keeping it from the X-Men. But all that time in the circus? And what happened to Amanda's blond hair?

And thanks for the link neiling. ^^
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

With the exception of you, who else really *READ* X-Infernus though?:smirk

Also, where's MoJo??

And did anyone else notice what I said... no tip of the hat to Dave. WTF is up with this. They USE the pages from his book, why is it not in there?!

[Edited on 31/3/10 by Ult_Sm86]
deadpixiedust
Lubber
Lubber

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by deadpixiedust »

DreadPirateBluetail wrote:I saw Doc Mojo, too! Very bizarre. I ignored it, like so many other things I can't understand.

deadpixiedust wrote: Kurt was freaking gorgeous though. :smirk
Truer words were never spoken.

Yep, that was pretty much a no brainer. ;)

Ultsm_86 I think when the doctor has that psycho grin when giving him the needle he's introduced as Doc Mojo? *goes rummaging again*
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Nightcrawler Origins

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I dunno if I agree that he was gorgeous. He looked GREAT but...

do the artists keep forgetting he's fuzzy? I swear Austen's X-2 Prequel was the last time I saw the dude with a fuzzy chin, arm, tail, ANYTHING. He always just looks blue-skinned, not blue-furred.