Uncanny X-Men General Discussion Reload

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Post by Paty »

:mags
Well... HelLO...hew ar yew??? Not the Mojo I know...and despise!!! LOL

Illusion is the name of the summer game, don'tja know? I wouldn't be surprised if everything is gonna be illusion all summer long... allows the so called writers to write fanfic...not real... goes back to reality in september... well... SOME of it does. What they want to change, obviously doesn't...Huge excuse for doing anything their febrile minds wanna do... and plop it into continuity... so the continuity geeks who cannot see canonical error for the canon will just try to rationalize it into reality.

all the weirdness in Uncanny is probably a spillover from the reality warping...cuz all the books are gonna be affected if this is supposed to be continuity wide... after all, Marvel is a "shared universe"... something Morrison didn't take into consideration when he failed to connect with other venues at Marvel for his little sojourns into depravity. so they are gonna do it "right" this time and involve everyone... as a continuity across the board storyline should do. they learn fast, these little boyos...Morrison's stuff couldn't stand the test of "shared universe" continuity...

Until House of M is over, and this may go on until a year after the actual debacle...they say that's how long it is gonna affet the Marvel U...you are probably not gonna see much coherence in Uncanny... or any X book for that matter...cuz it all ties in...or should...so they want us to believe.

Betsy as an illusion might be part of that... or maybe not... who the hell knows anymore with Marvel? They don't have a clue what they are doing... they are just runningh with any stupid idea that comes up or is sneaked into their subconscious... so I wouldn't put much money on anything in X land making any sense for a long time.

But that's just me...

Paty
:mags
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

I really like these Mojo issues.
First, it gave us back Nocturne and Chuck's Juggernaut.
And the story itself was so funny ! Something like the early Excalibur issues.
Claremont is good with comedy.
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Uncanny X-Men preview for issue 462.

http://www.buzzscope.com/previewer.php?id=4563&p=1

I hate to say it...but [spoiler]Brian[/spoiler] is actually kinda hot here, despite my complete and utter dislike for the character. That's what happens when Davis is the penciler
one name: Bruce Campbell
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

One quick thought:

Jaime "ressurecting" characters has happened before, as when i first saw him in Excal. he found the family's house servant/Nanny had passed away, he 'didn't like the turn that his dream had taken, so he brought her back'

and about the latest ish: aaaaagh! there aren't enough preview pages!! *sulks*
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Wait, Davis is back again? I thought I heard something about his quitting. Is this just the last stuff he did before leaving, or have I (once again) misheard/misinterpreted things?

(Don't feel too bad about someone you don't like looking hot+sexy to you. That can happen pretty often in real life, let alone the comics. I mean, how many yummy movie stars are actually creeps in real life? :naughty)
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

I'm pretty sure this is the last stuff he was doing before he leaves.:cry
(Don't feel too bad about someone you don't like looking hot+sexy to you. That can happen pretty often in real life, let alone the comics. I mean, how many yummy movie stars are actually creeps in real life? )
:LMAO, I know, but even in the old Excalibur series that Davis drew, i never thought the dude was hot, just an oaf his character bugged me, why now?
Oh well...
Back on topic...
I'm excited about this new arc anyway..I love Davis and CC's stuff. They work well together.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by Maelstrom
Wait, Davis is back again? I thought I heard something about his quitting. Is this just the last stuff he did before leaving, or have I (once again) misheard/misinterpreted things?
Yeah...it's the last of his stuff...it swiches to Bachalo half way through the story arc...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Uncanny#462 (House of M-tie in) is just excellent !
We see Roma, Opal Luna Saturnyn, the Captain Britain Corps, Otherworld,...
A pure joy !!
We even got a cameo by Kylun and Cerise !!!! :bamf :kylun :cerise

Alan Davis's art is perfect. :surprise

And is it me or do you also find that this arc seems more important than the main House of M title ??
I feel this way because of the multiverse. It's the multiverse that's threatened, not just earth 616.
So it seems more impressive! :)
www.atlantys.biz

Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

I haven't been too impressed with House of M so far...though I was kind of expecting to be disappointed, seeing as how it's been hyped so much...and I KNEW Kurt would be used poorly...

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

And is it me or do you also find that this arc seems more important than the main House of M title ??
I agree.

I also saw someone who looked like Kymri somewhere in there but the skin color was wrong. It might be her and the colorist just gave her the wrong color or the difference between background and foreground colors...or it could be somebody else. :shrug.

I was pleased with this issue. Words connot describe my happiness.
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

Now, I know this isn't a very popular opinion to hold about this book, but I really didn't like this issue. The fallacy here is that because something is on a bigger scale it is more important.

I would argue: No! If being important was based on the scale in which a conflict took place, then this would be the most important conflict in the history of anything.

So Claremont looked around and saw all these sweeping changes to 616 because of Scarlet Witch. Apparently he decided that he wanted a huge multi-verse spanning story to compete with House of M. So in comes all those characters from the eighties and nineties he loved to play with, but hardly anyone remembers. I read most of the stuff back then and I can only scarcely remember Roma, Satyrnine (sp?), and all the rest. But Jaspers? Who the hell is that guy? We get a page of him talking to himself about nothing, a page of him realizing that he has a gunhand like the guy that killed him did, then a page of him about to kill someone before he's stopped. And what do we, the readers, get as explanation? "Oh, he's some guy this other guy killed. Apparently the laws of cause and effect no longer apply!"

I can only imagine the solution to all of this is going to somehow involve two or more characters becoming psychically linked forever, sharing every emotion, thought, and memory each ever possessed, or perhaps the combination of a bunch of characters' powers as channeled through either Bishop or one of the psychics to create power great enough to destroy the enemy, or Jamie Braddock. If you want to see this story done well, read X-Men Unlimited #37. All the multiverse action you'd want with a really awesome plot, a bunch of different (amazing) artists, with a superb ending - all in one issue!

Also, as an example of a comic that was more important to the X-Men as a whole and to me as a reader that is on a much smaller scale, find a copy of Uncanny X-Men 414. Yes, it's written by Chuck Austen. Before you go fleeing in terror, hear me out. The story is about one child's life, not a multiverse. If Northstar fails in his rescue mission, no bomb will go off, no planet will die, and the multiverse probably won't give a damn. At the same time, it is one of the best X-Men books I've ever read. It gives a very in-depth look into the psyche of not only Northstar, but Professor X as well.

I guess that's pretty much all I wanted to say. In closing, if you're enjoying the book, don't let me talk you out of it. By all means, enjoy it. I just needed to get my opinion out.

-idsunki, who wants to know who the hell that Jaspers guy is, seriously.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Darkholme
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Darkholme »

Jaspers is from the Alan era (Moore and Davis) of Captain Britain. I highly recommend tracking down the TPB as pretty much all of the characters in Captain Britain's world are introdued there (Cap, Roma, Linda, Meggan, Dai Thomas, Jaspers, the Fury, Slaymaster, Technet, Betsy, etc).

To me, this felt like Excalibur: The Next Generation, and I was very happy with it. I admit that there wasn't a lot of exposition to explain things, but it really felt like "classic" Claremont & Davis. The pacing, the expressions, the poses, the dialogue...figures that we're only getting one more issue of this before Davis is gone again.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Idsunki, don't worry, you're among friends here ! ;)

Uncanny 414 was EXCELLENT -as most of Austen's run, oh yes ! - but feel like Darkholme here.
It was Excalibur all over again, and I enjoyed every panel of it.

As of writing an impressive story without a cosmic threat...of course it has another value !
But among all the stories of prepared destruction I have read, this one was great.
Because of the return of forgotten characters and places I love with all my fan-heart. And, above all, there was Alan Davis's excellent art.
www.atlantys.biz

NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

After being kinda disappointed and also a bit "wha?" with the first Uncanny HoM, I have to say, it totally redeemed itself.....

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

I had given up on the idea that HoM would include Nocturne, but in the latest issue, the MINUTE Wisdom said there were two rogue mutants, one of which was a genetic relative of "lord magneto", I KNEW it had to be her. I mean, how many others of the Magnus brood are out there? I've had this hopeful theory that she may play a pivotal role in HoM....and it may not be true, but damn I'm glad to see her there, and I can't wait to see what the deal is with her....

Come on guys, reactions??? Am I the only one buying everything HoM??
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette
Probably...I'm only buying the mini-series and any books I normally get that it happens to cross in to...which is basically Uncanny...though...I wonder how they're going to explain TJ...was HRH Wanda 'sluming it' with an agent of SHIELD?

Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Well, I, for one, was only gonna buy the main title to see what mayhem they were gonna perpetrate on us now... but I may pick up the FF HoM cuz it has more of Mags in it and a good storyline to boot, I am told. I shall give it a try, I guess.

Bu the big summer event is... so far... a bust in my estimation. Claremont has been given the task of doing the immediate followup issue to the central eight issues, but since he has apparently rolled over, abandoned his vision and Stan's vision of a besieged minority fighting oppression...which had been the X Menn's forte and moral high ground... for Morrison's Mutant Majority crap... I am not sanguine about it.

Recent revelations at Chicago con suggest that Joey the Q and cronies will be dictating the storylines writers will be allowed for the forseeable future...and this is a really frightening thought. Writers were never told WHAT to write!!! They were directed by seasoned editors to clarify their storylines and the editors would run blocker with other books to avoid conflicts in schedulling with characters who were being used by more than one writer. Now the editors tell the writers what to write and it is all a big mess...among other things because the editors are not editors... they are juvenile flunkies put in by Quesada to toady to him and do everything he wants. To give these flunkies that kind of power over writers is obscene.

Baut , apparently, that is what is happening. In recent X Fan correspondence, Claremont was positively babbling... to the point of apologizing to the fans for babbling... about how wonderful RBM's drek was... so it is obvious that they came down hard on him to toe the mark or get lost. His silences for years on RBM's run was eloquent in it's disapproval... and finally someone noticed himdragging his feet and laid down the law...get with us or get out. Chris caved... and his relief at not having to fight... something he refuses steadfastly to do except by passive resistance... is so palpable he is babbling hysterically. The tone of his posts is just that...the hysterical babble that bursts forth when the torture stops. He thinks he's safe now... but the burning stake still awaits... the torturers never left reformen heretics alive to recant their recanting afer they have voiced for the populace how right their tormentors were...The Spanish Inquisition lives...and you can find it at Marvel, apparently.

What House of M is gonna do is anybody's guess. So far, nothing much...dessultory "alternate reality" storylines...ho hum...but the final orders for the series are now in, so they can pull out the stops and get nasty with the fans, now. They promise to "split the fandom down the middle" as if it already isn't split into armed camps. and this is their idea of good storytelling...sigh...it is pedestrian and sophomoric.
It bodes not well for either readers or fans...of ANY ILK...

It's been a long time since Marvel could call itself the "house of Ideas" with any degree of verascity.

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
buri103
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by buri103 »

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
!!!

Ooooooooooooh, Nocturne is the subject of scandal!!!

I love it!

Because from what I've gleaned, Magneto doesn't seem to really want mutants who don't look human an prettty...

Oh, jeez a Nightcrawler-looking relative of the 'Great House of M'. I can't wait. More!

Preview for Uncanny X-men #463

:evil
25 And the Lord spake unto the Angel that guarded the eastern gate, saying Where is the flaming sword which was given unto thee?

26 And the Angel said, I had it here only a moment ago, I must have put it down some where, forget my own head next.

27 And the Lord did not ask him again.
~Good Omens

http://www.nataliedee.com/ and http://www.toothpastefordinner.com
Lysistrata
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Lysistrata »

Originally posted by Nandireya
Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette
Probably...I'm only buying the mini-series and any books I normally get that it happens to cross in to...which is basically Uncanny...though...I wonder how they're going to explain TJ...was HRH Wanda 'sluming it' with an agent of SHIELD?
Considering lil' Mr. "Granpa? I made this for you...with my mind!" (and using my creepy red deamon eyes...) doesn't look anything like Kurt, I'd say HRH Wanda makes a habit of slumming it with the help.

Marvel abandoned the Magneto as King of Spain picture, but I guess Bendis is still basing the behavior of royal daughters on modern Spanish nobility. :naughty
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Should we be getting worried about Claremont’s admission (over at X-Fan) that a significant X-Character’s gonna be taking the big dirt nap soon? He's only confirmed that it's not Storm (BIIIIIGGGG surprise there :rolleyes...like he'd kill off his little Mary Sue) Kurt’s already been given the boot from the next movie…his solo book’s coming to an end…are we gonna be left with nothing but the brimstone spitting set dressing he is in Ultimate?

Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Night's not in the third movie? Interesting...Gee I hope they don't kill him off and replace him with Nocturne. that would be a reason for bringing her into the X universe, I guess...Kill the character but keep it too, in female form... which Chris likes to write better than male form.
It would also get rid of the pesky female followers of the character. I swear, those children only want an all boy audience! so you identify all the characters that have a huge female following, like Kurt and magneto and get rid of them or villify them to death.

Gee... I hope not... Although if the Nightcrawler series is gonna come to an end, then I really won't have anything to buy from Marvel after House of M...not even theoretically...

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

This is an official "rumor" disclaimer on this post, and it won't be pretty....

This may be just a rumor. I pray it is. But....

According to what I've heard, Kurt is the one scheduled to become "teamless" after the House of M is over. Apparently, this is the big reason why Davis dropped Uncanny: he supposedly has it in his contract that he gets to work with Kurt, one of his favorite characters (if not his very favorite one), and by stripping Kurt they did a contract violation. Hmmm, no solo book, and no team... guess what this means.... :bawl

I've already written my "are you out of your mind?" letter protesting the solo series drop, and I've sent copies via post, but for a "drop entirely" decision as boneheaded as this, I see nothing but trouble ahead. Apparently, someone in the "big four" up there has decided that someone who looks like NC "doesn't fit" with the New and Improved Marvel. How ironic: Kurt's existence in X-men was to bring to light the hypocracy of judging a book by its cover, and yet his appearance is exactly the reason he's being shelved.

A companion to this is that the decision was made because of "evangelical" (read Fundamentalist Christian) reasons: to appeal to, in response to, or because the decision was made by someone who is. I'd point to the fact that Kurt shows Christianity in a very good light as a compelling evangelical reason to keep him: good press for the Christian faith. (Hell, the reviews on various ridiculously strict evangelical "Christian Movie Rating Pages" for X2 pointed NC out as a particuarly refreshing, bright spot because of his faith. They LIKED him.) Alas, he's also Catholic, and Fundies loathe Catholics almost as much as they hate Satanists, so I guess that would only be yet another strike against him.

I'll write again, I'll protest... but when the only reason for a decision that flies in the face of reason, marketing, and fan desires boils down to "because I said so", I have to wonder if all the screaming in the world will actually help, or just make them more stubborn in an attempt not to lose face.

I would like to know if anyone has heard anything contrary to this: whether the decision has been rescinded, or is for a different character, or was never made in the first place and this whole thing is only a misstatement. I'd LOVE to be proven wrong. I really would.

Please; someone bitchslap me for false rumor-mongering and give me a contrary source? :cry
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I hope this isn't true.. if Nightcrawler isn't in Uncanny, I'll have no reason for buying that book anymore beside out of habit.. I hope he could maybe transfer teams (Astonishing maybe:nodyes), because if he's teamless I'll have to cry for hours at end and send letters to Sean and Nick at Uncanny saying that they made a little boy cry and to give him his dying wish of seeing his favorite character..:bamf
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

mael, where are you getting this info? i haven't heard it anywhere....
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Hmph... I wouldn't doubt it at all... although, to be truthful, I haven't heard this before... but now you nightcrawler fans are learning what the Magneto fans have known for a long time. It is qhat the editorial bullies, headed by Joe Quesada want.
I think they want to retcon Claremont back to Giantsized numnber one. Really, I do. seems like that, anyway... and House of M is their vehicle of choice.
I would go ver Schmuck the Q and write directly to Perlmutter, Avi Arad and Fine... the big mucka mucks. One would think they would be paying attention here, but apparently not...and beloved characters and interesting characters are biting the dust in great profusion....why? who knows... quesada flexing his newly acquired muscle in the title Creative Director of Publishing??? He pushed Avi Arad outta the ceative Directorship by making him responsible for WEST coast only... giving him complete autonomy here in the east... to do any damn thing his black little mind wants.

Now, a couple of years ago, Dave called him asking for work and he told Dave that his art was dull, outdated and not marketable. Last year, when Dave was so sick and luminaries like Neal Adams, Harlan Ellison and Cliff Meth came to the rescue, Joey the Q readre his hypocritical head and was all "for" Dave and his esteemed status. I bet that really rankled and killing Kurt is his revenge. Yes, I do believe he is just that petty.

We can hope the rumor is just that... but Alan Davis quitting is a bad sign and the reason given is a good pointer to why he would have jumped ship in the middle of a contract... Marvel abrogated his rights...I hope he sues them for breach of contract. It could be the only thing that might save kurt.

But if you write, go to the top. You can CC Joey the Schmuck... but write to Perlmutter, Arad and Fine. They are Hq'S BOSSES... AND IF kURT IS TO BE AXED, YOU CAN BET IT IS qUESADA'S CHOICE....no one elses.

Someone try to find validation for this rumor, please...it doesn't surprise me, but it does sadden me...Marvel has no honor or care for it's readership any more if they can do this kind of shitty thing to a character as popular as Nightcrawler.

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Oh God, please don't let this rumor be true. I swear if they do I will never buy another Marvel product of any form again if they either kill Kurt of shelve him in limbo.

However, it is something I was beginning to fear, give all the signs. Nightcrawler is one of the most popular X-Men and has been for a long time. What a colossal mistake Marvel execs are making if this actually happens.

Nandy - Could you possibly put up a link to that Comix Fan thread?

To be perfectly honest with you Mael, I believe if Fundamentalist Christianity has anything to do with it at all, it's Joe Q trying to get BACK at them rather than appease them. Nightcrawler is quite popular with my friends who are Christian comic enthusiasts. And lots of fundies I know loved him in X-2, regardless of the Catholicism. Sad to say, there are just as many people that show intolerance to religion as there are who accuse Christians of being intolerant of others.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image