Gay Superheroes

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Gay Superheroes

Post by Northstars Love »

I started this thread to see what all of the Scrawlers thought of gay comic heroes in general. I know this can be a touchy subject, but what I have seen here so far on this board shows that a majority of us are pretty level headed and won't attack one another.

:clap... for the mods and admins for keeping everything in check.

I am for gay heroes. IMO the comic world needs to reflect the "real world" in general. They are just as qualified to rescue someone in need just as straight heroes can. I'm not saying create more of them, but those that have come forward or "outed" themselves need to be developed further and, yes, get a relationship going. Nothing worse than outing a character and have them take up celibacy for the rest of their comic lives:urg
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Gay Superheroes

Post by Siona »

I absolutely adore them, even though I have yet to actually pick up an issue of Uncanny ((isn't that what Northstar is in?)) or Exiles.

Like you said, the comic world may not be real, but the general idea of X-Men was for people to relate to it at least a little in the ideas of prejudice and needing to stand up for yourself, good and evil, blah blah BLAH.

But to relate, it must be as realistic as it can go without making it a sort of comic-reality-show.

I hope that there are more characters dealing with homosexuality.

Mostly so that Northie can find a decent date. ;)

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
Tengu Aberdeen
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Gay Superheroes

Post by Tengu Aberdeen »

First off:

It's my firm belief that the Mods and Admin, while doing a good job, needn't really take so much precaution. I've seen no flames AT ALL in this whole forum, and plus the fact that homophobia is now universally recognized as being a supreme sign of ignorance. But I do indeed second Northstar's compliments to the staff at the forum--some of the nicest, coolest people I know. :)

That being said...

If there was a gay character, I would DEFINETLY make sure that the guy (or gal) kicked some major ass, and therefore gained some respect from his superhero peers. See my line of thinking? If he kicked ass, his sexuality wouldn't matter--he would be perfectly accepted--and isn't that the whole point of X-Men itself? Acceptance of others who are different because in the end the differences DON'T MATTER?

Just my thoughts...:D
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Gay Superheroes

It's Uncanny. DC has gay superheroes. GL issues #154 and #155 delt with gay bashing. But it was GL's friend Terry that was beaten up. And his crush on GL in issue #137 surprised some people. But he isn't a superhero tho. However, it was considered a big step for a large comic publisher. It will be interesting to see what Marvel has planned for their gay characters in future issues. :scratch

**EDIT** I have been personally attacked for being gay in another forum by a religious fanatic. Quoting bible verses and the like. Although the mods there are nice and some posters were helpful to me, it was never stopped. They let the thread continue as it was heading. Their board in general allows more insane ramblings than NS. That is why I stopped going there. And that is the reason why I like it here and give the mods and the admins a :clap :bamf
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Gay Superheroes

Post by SheCat »

I agree. In the intolerant world of X-Men, the ability to see one trying to gain acceptance (and succeeding, or ele it would be d*** depressing) among fellow outcasts is a great way to deal with, even the mutants aren't the stereotypical idea of "Perfect". In fact, seeing as it's all mindset that determines how people accept one another, it shows even mutants can be intolerant too. And it's a great way to explore deeper into modern society in the form of an action hero.

I persoally have no problems with homosexuals, and I see it as just another way of thinking. I know a lot of people have different views than I do, but "One Planet One People". One of my relatives is a homophobic, and is often contadictive on many of my thoughts on the matter. I don't agree with her, and I believe her fear is a stereotype and not based on fact, but people all think in different ways.

And BTW, the mods here are great and Northstar kicks butt.
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
Sorte Springer Returns

Gay Superheroes

Post by Sorte Springer Returns »

About gay comic book heros.
I read in a paper presented on the symposium "What if Appocalypse Never Happend?" on literary criticism on superhero comics, held at University of Copenhagen, that when the fist Batman and Robin stories were published they were critizied for portraying homosexual relationships as acceptable.

I you have read the brilliant grafic novel featuring Batman:"Arkham Asylum " by Grant Morrison ( hey, is he the same Grant Morrison who has been writing new x-men for som time now!) you will have noticed that this idea that Batman and Robin is really a couple is integrated into the story.

The famous example is when the Joker gets his hand on an ink-dot test he says:" What about you Batman? What do you se? Batman says:" Nothing I dont see anything." Then the Joker says:" Not even a cute little long legged boy in swimming trunks?"

Futhermore, when Batman leaves the asylum the Joker says to him:" Parting is such sweet sorrow, dearest."
"Parting is such sweet sorrow" is one of Romeos lines to Juliet in "Romeo and Juliet". I guess the Jokers remark can be interpreted as being about homosexuallity for his part too. But of cause, he may just be mocking Batman.

IMHO "Arkham Asylum" is the most brilliant superhero story ever written, and it deals with possible homo- or bi -sexuallity.

Anyway, my gerenal opinion is that superheros can be gay as well as straight, as well as they can be both male and female, kaukasian and african and asian, and native american, and belong to any religion they choose or be atheists or agnostics.

The idea that a superhero should only be a white male straight kaukasian of the protestant faith leves me absolutely cold.

I would even say that in x-men context, with the series general theme about acceptance towards diversity in society, (that which Emil Durkheim called "organic solidarity", which is belived by most sane sociologists to be nessecary for modern democratic societies to function properly), it is particulaly apropriate to have gay and lesbian characters, as well as people with diffrent religios belives and skin coulor.

Of cause every x-person regardless of sex, sexual orientaion, creed and coulor should at all times kick some serious @$$
Sandy
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Gay Superheroes

Post by Sandy »

I love it when I get gay superheroes...but then I'm partial to that anyway. Though I'm still waiting for a real hot bisexual superheroine.... :D

Northie, btw, is one of my all-time favourites. Not necessarily cause he's gay, but because of his rather acerbic wit :evil

I once visited an evangelical church in Northern England...that must have been in 1995...as a favour to some friends. Unfortunately they had a guest speaker there who went for a whole morning of gay bashing. I thought any moment he'd detect me in the (rather small) crowd) and would start some lynchmob thing, as the audience was pretty rield up already...boy, I was _really_ afraid.

So I like to look up to queer superheroes for guidance, anyway!

:):)
TheSpike
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Gay Superheroes

Post by TheSpike »

I agree that the comicverse should reflect the real world, but, even tho I think gay characters to have awesome potential, why aren't there any fat superheroes? or ugly women? or heroes with psychological disorders?

Superheroes are so "perfect" (by the media's standards) it disgusts me.

EDIT: Ok, sorry I got :offtopic
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight,
let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power, Green Lantern's light! "
--Green Lantern's Oath

Inferno (on TV): "BUUUURRRRRRRRN!"
Butt-head: "Hey, Beavis, he said 'burn'."
Beavis: "Yeah! Yeah! 'Burn' is cool! Fire, fire, fire!"
BamfChyck
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Gay Superheroes

Post by BamfChyck »

Originally posted by TheSpike
I agree that the comicverse should reflect the real world, but, even tho I think gay characters to have awesome potential, why aren't there any fat superheroes?

I think Juggy might count, the way he's drawn by some artists. Blob (not a hero, but pretty super) is fat. And in Ultimate, Hank gets picked on for being "chubby" by a lot of the people.
or ugly women?
I guess I'm off topic, too. Please don't hit me.

I'd love to see some openly, proud queer superheroes who have sexuality and stable, healthy relationships. I did like the stuff between Mystique and Irene, but I want more. I didn't like the stuff with Hank announcing he was gay to get back at his ex. I would have like to see him grow a backbone and tell her the eff off, not make up that lie as an excuse.
I would love for Northstar to have a boyfriend. I think it will have to be a new character, despite all the fanfic to the contrary, because there just doesn't seem to be anyone out there for him at this time.

Hmmm--what qualities would his ideal man have?
Melylott
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Gay Superheroes

Post by Melylott »

Honestly...
A comic hero being gay makes about as much difference to me as if they have blue eyes.
Shadowcat has been a favorite of mine for ages, and now that she's had some romantic tension with Shan, I still feel the same way about her.
I actually think they'd make a great couple! ^^
:abyss Abyss's Number Two Fan! I Love Nils!!! :abyss
:austen
"The Shire is THAT way!"
---Frodo, One Ring to Rule Them All 2 (Greatest Flash EVAH!11)
#1 Fan of Blue!Jill. Sorry Bamfette. ^_^ :jillian
I love Wither!
Tengu Aberdeen
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Gay Superheroes

Post by Tengu Aberdeen »

Originally posted by Melylott
Honestly...
A comic hero being gay makes about as much difference to me as if they have blue eyes.
I use the same criteria for people I know...:ooh

I think that having a gay relationship between two superheroes could set up great storylines and scenes (imagine one of them's reaction if the other died, for instance).

Northstar is a great starting point for a gay superhero. He's suave, handsome, cool, and interesting. In other words, he's NOT A STEREOTYPE. Mad props to Marvel for that!

And as for fat superheroes...

Two words: THE BLOB.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Gay Superheroes

The Blob is no superhero. Sorry. But if Chuck Austen decides(or Marvel gets the guts) to give Northstar a love interest, I'm hoping it will be with another mutant. :)
Dracadancer
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Gay Superheroes

Post by Dracadancer »

It's a well known fact that in most comics that are “suppose” to be reflective of the world we live in today that minorities, and even some majorities, are sorely under represented. In X-men, which is suppose to be ABOUT diversity, the under representation makes the whole concept for the comic seem a little senseless in the end. I for one would love to see more diversity in X-men now days, such as they had way back when with the second generation Uncanny team that happened to be made up of all international characters. Think how big a deal it must have been to have a Communist character, Colossus, in a comic back in the 60s and 70s! But Claremont and the publishers took the risk of writing that character and it worked. More risks need to be taken today and someone should remind Marvel that in their X-universe there’s more than just mutant intolerance since it’s the reflection of real world social and political issues that makes the comics worth reading. Sure comics are entertaining, but it is when they make you think that they become something special.

As for Northstar, I like his character a lot. He just a good character all around, be it gay, straight, or otherwise. I have to say though that after watching anime and reading manga, where at least one gay character per book or show is pretty much a norm, for the last 5 years then coming back to American comics I really see just how much U.S publishers are still in the “baby steps” stages of working with sexuality in characters. It seems that characters in U.S. publications can more or less say they’re gay but not act like it. Gay and or bi-sexual characters in anime and manga became so popular that they actually made their own sub genre for it, yaoi and yuri, dealing specifically with those characters. I’m sure that once American publishers find that there’s money to be made in the creation of comics with or about gay characters they’ll start promoting it more, everything in the comic business is money driven in the end, but I’m afraid with the PC mentality of today it might not be for some time yet. For the time being I guess I’ll just have to read my yaoi manga and be happy with that.

Oh and BTW, I don’t really mind the fact that Northstar is single. It’s nice to have at least ONE character in Uncanny who’s single and not dwelling on the fact all the time.
###Dracadancer's Lair### ---> Your all purpose website

Random Quote of the Week: "Reports that say that something hasn’t happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns, there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don’t know we don’t know."
This year’s winner of the Foot in the Mouth award Donald Rumsfeld
Tengu Aberdeen
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Gay Superheroes

Post by Tengu Aberdeen »

Originally posted by **Northstars Love**
The Blob is no superhero. Sorry.
Well if the Blob is no superhero...no Pyro, no Pietro...and so on. Well wait a minute, you might be right. :LMAO

The X-Men really are a diverse bunch, if you think about it...

A black woman (Storm), a gay man (Northie) several Americans of diverse backgrounds, a Russian (Colussus), a German (Kurt) a Canadian (Logan) a Chinese girl (Jubilee) some assorted English, Scots, and Irish, a Pole (Magneto)...

:shocked Ugh, I'm out of breath! But you get the picture?
bepalin
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Gay Superheroes

Post by bepalin »

As long as its not just a marketing tactic to up ratings, I think its great that they're putting gay superheroes in comics! :D