X2 in Japan

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X2 in Japan

Post by Gaz »

While in Japan I saw the DVD for X2 for sale in shops, as well as a DVD containing both X-Men movies, selling for approxametly $50. The only reason I didn't buy it was it looked like it was in Japanese. Just thought it was cool that it was way over there and already for sale.

Also, walking down the street in one of Tokyos prime electronic shopping areas, I saw a big screen TV outside of a shopping area showing X2 to advertise the quality of the TV. It also happened to be while Kurt was right on top of the prez. Good times.
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
Bamf Bunny
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

X2 in Japan

Post by Bamf Bunny »

You might not have been able to play it when you got home. DVDs sold in different parts of the world use different region coding (it's part of the DVD spec, in fact) to prevent disks sold in one region from working on players sold in another region. Japan and Europe are Region 2; the U.S. is region 1.

This is intended to annoy American fans of anime and Japanese films.
Paulus aber sprach: Ich wünschte vor Gott, es fehle nun an viel oder an wenig, daß nicht allein du, sondern alle, die mich heute hören, solche würden, wie ich bin, ausgenommen diese Bande.
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X2 in Japan

Post by kladyelf »

either that or you can buy a multi-region DVD player
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X2 in Japan

Post by Tatu »

most of the anime DVD's from Japan ive come across tend to be Region free actually :p
Originally posted by Bamf Bunny
This is intended to annoy American fans of anime and Japanese films.
Call me King!
Vee_EmmCee
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

X2 in Japan

Post by Vee_EmmCee »

Aww. Already on sale? Too cool.

But Gaz...you got to go to Japan? I've always wanted to go. I have always been totally fasinated by the culture and the people! Sorry for going off topic. :)
"The hate of another person is sick and disgusting, and I'll never understand how the word hate is thrown around like it's nothing. Because it's something, something ominious, and in the end, it will destroy us all. "
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

X2 in Japan

Post by NightPoofer »

That's cool Gaz. I have had constant problems with this CD DVD whatever when going to different places around the world... Seoul games and DVD's don't work very well with my DVD player or my PS2. That also goes with some Karaoke DVD's, CD's and games in the Philippines... That's why I got my DVD player, CD player and PS2 system all converted so they will work with any of the games I get from those two other places.
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X2 in Japan

Post by Gaz »

Yeah, there were quite a few reasons why I didn't buy it, the main two being that it didn't appear to be in English and that I didn't know it would work. It looked awesome. I want to get the DVD that has both films instead of just X2. Eeeee I can't wait. I am dissapointed that it wasn't so widely advertized though. There were a million freakin ads for Matrix 2 all over the place. I was sick of Keanu after Day 1 (actually, I've always been sick of him)

Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X2 in Japan

Post by Tatu »

actually im sure it WAS in english but probably had a japanese audio track or japanese subtitle selection
Originally posted by Gaz
Yeah, there were quite a few reasons why I didn't buy it, the main two being that it didn't appear to be in English and that I didn't know it would work. It looked awesome. I want to get the DVD that has both films instead of just X2. Eeeee I can't wait. I am dissapointed that it wasn't so widely advertized though. There were a million freakin ads for Matrix 2 all over the place. I was sick of Keanu after Day 1 (actually, I've always been sick of him)
Call me King!
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X2 in Japan

Post by Gaz »

The description on the back, disclaimer thingy, and all other words were Japanese. The only things in English were the actors names and title. It didn't look like there was much chance of it being in English.

Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X2 in Japan

Post by Tatu »

yeah there like that quite often..but being an opriginal english movie..im positive it just has a selection for japanese... my uncle lived in japan, he always brought home stuff where the box was all in japanese..but the product was in english
Call me King!
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

X2 in Japan

Post by Siona »

Originally posted by Gaz
While in Japan I saw the DVD for X2 for sale in shops, as well as a DVD containing both X-Men movies, selling for approxametly $50.
They're doing that here, too, aren't they; having both X2 and X 1.5 together? At least, that's what it says on the Austrailian X2 site, so I figured they would do it in the US too.

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X2 in Japan

Post by Gaz »

I sure hope so. I would buy that so fast if they did!

NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

X2 in Japan

Post by NightPoofer »

Originally posted by Siona
Originally posted by Gaz
While in Japan I saw the DVD for X2 for sale in shops, as well as a DVD containing both X-Men movies, selling for approxametly $50.
They're doing that here, too, aren't they; having both X2 and X 1.5 together? At least, that's what it says on the Austrailian X2 site, so I figured they would do it in the US too.

~Siona
WOW! I've never heard of any of this before... I wonder if I should buy my movies in other countries again... import it with my grandparents...
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X2 in Japan

Post by Tatu »

Yes, a 4 disc box set of X-Men 1.5 and X2 is going to be released here, its called The X-men Collection it will also be released on November 25th
Originally posted by Siona

~Siona
Call me King!
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

X2 in Japan

Post by NightPoofer »

That's very cool TATU. Thanks for the infomation. I guess I'll have to wait almost another month before I can get my hands on one.
Bamf_Girl
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

X2 in Japan

Post by Bamf_Girl »

Sweet... yeah, some DVD's or VCD's do come in english, though the covers are in Japanse... I know... for I got lots of family there and they send me stuff once in a while. Plus my da gets me movies when he goes on business trips. And yes, that regional thing bugs the heck out of me, I got three DVD's last week, only two can play on my DVD player, but the other can only play on my comp. I'm still greatful I can watch them ^_^
I am the Terrible Toad King!
Yes you are!
W'o the 'ell are you?
Your Terrible Toad Queen of course

TOAD FANS UNITE!

*Jumps up and down* I'm OMWOS! If I RP with ya, drop me a line!
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X2 in Japan

Post by Gaz »

Now i feel like maybe i should have bought it... Does anyone know how much the 'Collection' thing with both movies will cost in the states? In Japan it was 5000 yen, or around $50, but the majority of things in Japan are costlier.

Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X2 in Japan

Post by Tatu »

Gaz, I doubt it would have played here..did you check the region code on the box?

as for "The X-men Collection" I would personally assume it would be between $30-$40, but i dunno. Amazon tends to be a little lower than most actual stores.

ive called here locally (and checked online) Suncoast has it listed at $39.98, Circuit City has $34.99 while Best Buy has it listed at $28.99. So..I suggest you shop around
Call me King!
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X2 in Japan

Post by Gaz »

Originally posted by TATU

Gaz, I doubt it would have played here..did you check the region code on the box?
Honey, I wouldn't have been able to read the region code if it were on there ;) I'll just have to wait another month. Oh well.

Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X2 in Japan

Post by Tatu »

Yes you would, region codes arent words... there little symbol on the back of the case, its a square with a globe in it that has a number in the middle of the globe (All US DVD's read "1")...go look at your DVD's and see
Call me King!
Sandy
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

X2 in Japan

Post by Sandy »

I sure hope a teeny weeny bit of the reason why we'll get two different sets of dvds is me... ;) I took part in a survey a while ago about whether one would rather buy a dvd with lots of extras or not...it was _specifically_ about X2....

Anyway, I got a DVD player that is region free (well, I _made_ it region free - there's loads on that on the internet) and have had American dvds as well (they tend to be cheaper tahn European ones).
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

X2 in Japan

Post by Siona »

I'm getting a DVD player for Christmas, along with some Star Trek TNG movies, so I've been saving up for the DVD collection and the VHS for nearly three months! I've almost got $50...just 23 more days...!!

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
Intyale
Lubber
Lubber

X2 in Japan

Post by Intyale »

Rawr... This means I have to bug the crap outta my father to buy me The X-men Collection set... *is money retarded*
Originally posted by Gaz
There were a million freakin ads for Matrix 2 all over the place. I was sick of Keanu after Day 1 (actually, I've always been sick of him)
GGGGGAAAAAHHHHH! *chases down Gaz and shoots her with a shotgun* DON'T YOU EVEN DARE TO TRASH TALK MY MATRIX!!!!!!! *goes on evil rampage*

*cough* Actually I don't like Keanu either, but adore the Matrix... Please ignore that ramble. :offtopic :whistle :secret
Go visit my website!

No stealing my images... :shifty
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X2 in Japan

Post by Gaz »

No, I like the first Matrix, didn't like the second, and have always hated Keanu. The second was too....plotless. The first one actually had thought put into it, while the second was action scene after action scene.....with BAD special FX...

:offtopic oops...

Anyway, I thought it was so cool that as i walked by the big TV with X2 playing, it happened to be the part when Kurt's on top of the prez.....*sigh* :love