Question for all of the artists

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Winnowill
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Winnowill »

I'm looking to buy a graphics tablet to use with my pc. I was hoping I could get some suggestions as to what you find the best to work with. (Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.)
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

photoshop 7.0....

or coral...
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Gaz »

I would say PhotoImpact, but I'm just bias because it's what I have. It works nicely though.
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
kelly
Lubber
Lubber

Post by kelly »

Am I reading correctly, you're asking about pressure/tilt-sensitive graphics tablets that operate with a stylus? If so, I'd recommend the Wacom line of products - haven't used them in a few years (mine is too out of date to operate with current Mac OS :( ) but I enjoyed using it, and it's a nice break on the mouse hand if you're prone to carpal tunnel pain. You really can get some lovely results with it. The company's website has a nice little interactive section to determine the best tablet for your needs -
www.wacom.com
Be warned that they're likely to be fairly expensive - I'd recommend trying one out at your local supplier if possible. Good luck!
"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia,
all paranoid and crotchety." - Malcolm Reynolds
Nightmare
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Nightmare »

On the other hand... I reccomend Aiptek... I got a 12"x9" ACTIVE area tablet for around 130 dollars. MUCH cheaper than wacom's stuff. It may not be the quality of the other company's, but it suffices for me... and it's definately a far site better than the Pablo I got before that.

I love the wireless 'pen'... only takes a AA battery and that lasts about a year. Also comes with a wireless mouse, but I don't use that.

So if money is a factor, and it usually is, you should at least check out their stuff...

Aiptek Hyperpens
Don't hate me because I scare you...
Winnowill
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Winnowill »

Thanks to everyone for the replies- I did mean the pad with the stylus- sorry I wasn't more specific. I just saw one and HAD to have one- I didn't even know they had existed before this week. I'll check out the sites, and would still appreciate comparisions. Thanks!
zwei
Lubber
Lubber

Post by zwei »

DEFENITLY go with a wacom. And DON"T go for the big size. You really don't need a lot of space, most people with big wacoms just use the space in the middle. I've had my small one for yeeeeaaars, it still works wonderfully, and it even came with programs to use it with. I've never had a problem, and I love the wireless pen it comes with, though I never use the mouse. Painter Classic is great, and I got it when I bought my wacom.
www.livejournal.com/users/lytharts

"If I led a normal life I'd quite cheerfully go mad and fall over now." - Nightcrawler

The tail is connected to the base of the spine ... It DOES NOT grow out of the @**!" - Dave Cockrum
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

Id definately reccomend a Wacom. i have an Intuos2, and i love it to pieces. if you get a tablet, Wacom is the only way to go. they tend to be more expensive, but it is SO worth it. they are the leaders in graphic tablet technology, hands down.

i have heard horror stories about the other tablets, likew you have a cord, or have to change batteries in the stylus, or they just simply arent accurate, or no pressure sensitivity, some that claim to have pressure sensitivity, they MEAN you can SET the pressure in the control panel, which is useless.

Wacom. only way to go. the stylus and mouse require no batteries, you can get multiple tools and the tablet will recognize the settings for each sperately, it comes bundled with some great software... the Intuos is the best, but you gotta pay for it, and a 6x8 (most popular size) it comes in at around $350. for Intuos, i wouldnt go larger than 6x8, though they do offer larger.

but Wacom also offers the Graphire line which has less levels of pressure sensitivity, and only comes in 4x6, but it is only $100, and still beats the very best of the competing companies hands down.

*edit OOOOHHH! Graphire3 just came out, and you can now get 6x8 for $200!

http://www.wacom.com

quick reference:

Intuos2 features:

1024 levels of pressure sensitivity
50º-60º tilt range (tilting your stylus from side to side can affect how the brush acts in Photoshop 7.0 or Painter)

4x5= $200
6x8= $350 (but they have a sale on right now for $300)

Graphire3 features:

512 levels of pressure sensitivity
no tilt range

4x5= $100
6x8= $200
Winnowill
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Winnowill »

After looking at the different kinds, and talking to someone I know, the Graphire3 seems the best for what I need, plus it just sneaks in for what I budgeted. :) I do want to thank everyone for their help. I hate buying hardware and finding out later it's not really what I wanted.
zwei
Lubber
Lubber

Post by zwei »

Good choice! I have a graphire, and it's just perfect for me.
www.livejournal.com/users/lytharts

"If I led a normal life I'd quite cheerfully go mad and fall over now." - Nightcrawler

The tail is connected to the base of the spine ... It DOES NOT grow out of the @**!" - Dave Cockrum