District X General Discussion

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I read the preview/prelude thing in X-Men Unlimited and now I'm really looking forward to this new title, which no one I know cares about, or can discuss beyond "it's about Bishop, he's a cop". Anyone else interested? Anyone? Hello?

Info thread at Newsarama
http://newsarama.com/forums/showthread. ... adid=10090

This one is going on my list. I think it looks great, better than most of the Reload stuff.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Jeremys Iron
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Jeremys Iron »

Looks like an interesting concept, and the creative team seems to be quite talented. I'm certainly going to give it a couple of issues to catch my fancy.

As for the story in X-Men Unlimited #2, it most definitely did not make me any more excited about this series, pretty average, IMO. The writing was good, I guess, but the story was awfully pedestrian and I can't help but laugh every time Bishop or someone else says Bishop is a cop. Even, like in this story, when it isn't completely superfluous to the plot, it has become such a parody that I can never take it seriously.

The art did nothing for me either. Sure Adi Granov has got a whole lot of talent for creating beautiful pictures but I think he's got a long way to go in the storytelling department. There was no energy in the drawing, it seemed lifeless and very static. Beautiful to be sure but I got no sense of motion nor much of any emotion from the characters faces or body language. Also, oddly enough I got no sense of atmosphere from the art, which it was obviously going for but I think failed to deliver on 'cause it was over-stylized, IMO. Now of course Granov isn't the artist on the series so it doesn't really matter and what I've seen of David Yardin's pencils looks amazing so I'm hoping for better when I pick up the first issue.

Even with all that I still think this is the book I'm most interested in come Reload time.
Are You on the Global Frequency?

Spider: You see, Channon, it's the duty of journalists to strike fear into the hearts of criminals.
Channon: With your meat gun?
Spider: Or your attack womb.
Channon: Or your illegal bowel disruptor.
Spider: Whatever...
-Transmetropolitan #4

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas -- Where There is Doubt, There is Freedom
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Originally posted by Jeremys Iron
The writing was good, I guess, but the story was awfully pedestrian and I can't help but laugh every time Bishop or someone else says Bishop is a cop. Even, like in this story, when it isn't completely superfluous to the plot, it has become such a parody that I can never take it seriously.
X-Men Unlimited pretty much defines pedestrian. I'm expecting the series itself to be much better, but the preview still gave an idea of what to expect. Or maybe it just looked good to me next to the gawdawful Jubilee story also in the issue...

The cop thing... *shrug* I'm over it. ;)

Oooh, I hope Stacy X shows up in there somewhere! It's about time she came back.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

Although I'm not a Bishop fan I will give this book a chance. And what I have seen of the artwork so far it will make the book more entertaining. :) I'll give it a few issues.
Jeremys Iron
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Jeremys Iron »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic

X-Men Unlimited pretty much defines pedestrian.
:LOL Too true. I wonder why that is? If it's supposed to be the place to showcase new talent then shouldn't the editors be looking for stories & artists that are going to leave an impression on people? The work is pretty much always sound but sound isn't going to make people want to see more of a particular creator nor is it going to raise interest in the smaller role characters that are often spotlighted in X-Men Unlimited. The Jubilee story being the perfect example. Now I might take some issue with your description:
Originally posted by The Drastic SpasticOr maybe it just looked good to me next to the gawdawful Jubilee story also in the issue...
I don't think it was horrible (but maybe that's just 'cause I'm a big Jubes fan and any appearance is bascially a good thing ;)), just a number of years out of date character wise. But then that's beside the point, the problem with the story is it is completely forgetable, in every sense. And if the point is to build interest in the creative team and the character than it was a total failure. That's a shame 'cause both Kirkman and Miyazawa could use a profile boost considering they both have work on other Marvel book coming up, Captain America and Mary Jane, respectively. Plus Kirkman needs the spotlight to hopefully increase the sales on his critically acclaimed series at Image. Unfortunately, X-Men Unlimited won't help them any 'cause nothing here would make someone say, "Wow this is really interesting I should track down some more of this person's work." But look at me rambling away off topic, I'd better stop...what was the topic again? :?

Oh yeah, District X...ummmm...looks good. Anyone know if Bishop is going to be in this series long term (assuming it lasts)? I thought I read somewhere that he is only going to be in it for the first arc. If that's the case then I think that's unfortunate. I'd much rather see Bishop working at street level rather than running around as a superhero. I think it works better with the way his character operates.

But then, that's just my opinion I might be wrong.

Spider: You see, Channon, it's the duty of journalists to strike fear into the hearts of criminals.
-Transmetropolitan #4

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

The Jubilee story being the perfect example. Now I might take some issue with your description:
Originally posted by The Drastic SpasticOr maybe it just looked good to me next to the gawdawful Jubilee story also in the issue...
I don't think it was horrible (but maybe that's just 'cause I'm a big Jubes fan and any appearance is bascially a good thing ;)), just a number of years out of date character wise. But then that's beside the point, the problem with the story is it is completely forgetable, in every sense. And if the point is to build interest in the creative team and the character than it was a total failure. That's a shame 'cause both Kirkman and Miyazawa could use a profile boost considering they both have work on other Marvel book coming up, Captain America and Mary Jane, respectively. Plus Kirkman needs the spotlight to hopefully increase the sales on his critically acclaimed series at Image. Unfortunately, X-Men Unlimited won't help them any 'cause nothing here would make someone say, "Wow this is really interesting I should track down some more of this person's work." But look at me rambling away off topic, I'd better stop...what was the topic again? :?
Nah, it really was horrible. "Cringe-worthy" also springs to mind. But maybe that's just cause I don't like stories about kids causing trouble at the mall. ;)
Oh yeah, District X...ummmm...looks good. Anyone know if Bishop is going to be in this series long term (assuming it lasts)? I thought I read somewhere that he is only going to be in it for the first arc. If that's the case then I think that's unfortunate. I'd much rather see Bishop working at street level rather than running around as a superhero. I think it works better with the way his character operates.

But then, that's just my opinion I might be wrong.
I haven't heard anything about that. I thought it was going to be a Bishop book, but maybe they've given up on making him the new Wolverine. :X
Jeremys Iron
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Jeremys Iron »

Nah, it really was horrible. "Cringe-worthy" also springs to mind. But maybe that's just cause I don't like stories about kids causing trouble at the mall. ;)
Wow, like, harsh. ;) :p

Yeah sure it wasn't anything spectacular but it was a fluff character piece. Fluff can't be "cringe-worthy," something has to be taking itself seriously to be "cringe-worthy" and this isn't. It's just a light, little tale with no significance unless you are a fan of the character. Of course being as I am a fan of the character I have little to no objectivity in the matter so it kinda defeats the purpose of even arguing the point. However, the Fourth Rail gave it a decent review. ;)
I haven't heard anything about that. I thought it was going to be a Bishop book, but maybe they've given up on making him the new Wolverine. :X
It may have been at either newsarama or comix-fan. Something about reassuring fans that Bishop being in both Uncanny and District X wouldn't conflict with one another.

-Transmetropolitan #4

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Wow, like, harsh. ;) :p

Yeah sure it wasn't anything spectacular but it was a fluff character piece. Fluff can't be "cringe-worthy," something has to be taking itself seriously to be "cringe-worthy" and this isn't. It's just a light, little tale with no significance unless you are a fan of the character. Of course being as I am a fan of the character I have little to no objectivity in the matter so it kinda defeats the purpose of even arguing the point. However, the Fourth Rail gave it a decent review. ;)
Fluff can't be cringe-worthy? Since when? I cringed at the dialogue, the plot... oh, and doing a "character piece" that was about ten years out of date. :P
It may have been at either newsarama or comix-fan. Something about reassuring fans that Bishop being in both Uncanny and District X wouldn't conflict with one another.
Ah, I don't go to any of the news sites. If I want to know something, I just ask a friend. Usually someone will know.
Jeremys Iron
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Jeremys Iron »

Fluff can't be cringe-worthy? Since when? I cringed at the dialogue, the plot... oh, and doing a "character piece" that was about ten years out of date. :P
Since I said so, and I am the holder of all truth. :read
Bow before me... :bow ...what you don't believe me. :(
Good call! ;)

But seriously, perhaps I exaggerated slightly, it's just that personally cringing is something that I only do at things that are trying to be serious or say something and fail miserably. Not a story like this one that is totally inconsequential, knows it and isn't taking itself seriously. Then again I didn't have a problem with the dialogue, just that whole being ten years past it's best before date. ;) Oh and the inconsequential, seen it all before thing, wait...maybe it was horrible. I'm confused. :? :toothy

-Transmetropolitan #4

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Getting back on topic... ;)

Anyone else read District X 1? WOW!!!!!!!!

Maybe it's just that that X-Men Unlimited story lowered my expectations but I was completely blown away by the first issue. Which is, just amazing. It usually takes me a couple issues to warm up to new characters. This book was ALL new characters ('cept for Bishop's appearance on the final page) but they were written so cleanly they felt real from the first couple pages on.

Man, even if you HATE Bishop give the first issue a try. He's only on the last page! (And the cover. :rolleyes) And his new partner is fantastic. :D

I've never heard of David Yardin but there's nothing to complain about in his art. This is my favourite Reload title so far. Ten times better than Exiles, coming in second.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

I enjoyed it. As I said I'm not a Bishop fan but this book has a lot of potential. If Hine and Yardin remain on track and Marvel doesn't decided to pull them off the book for some odd reason District X will make it.
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

Yeah... District X was great. I loved the whole thing a lot more, probably because it had little to do with any X-men...

(BTW... [spoiler] Is that Lorlei the same villianess from way back? I can't remember her that well, but wasn't she a replacement in the Brotherhood really early on? and now she has to whore herself out for a living? gee.[/spoiler]

I will say one thing for the Unlimited bit: The art was almost droolworthy. the tones and textures were so real... It's just too bad they were so DARK! I felt like the printer had just bled out all over my comic book! but, if you look at the more well lit panels, It's really quite beautiful. I think I'll look for this artist again, but i'll definately check the inside of the book for contrast first!.

As for the story of District X [spoiler]the mutant with the crazy voice was a great idea... [/spoiler] and the way the story was played out was great. I definately plan to pick this up regularly
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Cooooooooooooooool.

District X is :love :love :love. Second issue much better than the (amazing) first issue.

Wooooooooooo! I liked the hatching guy, and the toad guy (BRILLIANT idea, that guy) and the fish girl and the dialogue and the art and just wooooooo! :D

And the mysterious Mr M. Hmmmmm.

:D
Jeremys Iron
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Jeremys Iron »

Aside from John Cassaday art on AXM this is most definitely the best thing to come out of the Reload.

The second issue was excellent, I'm really intrigued to see where this story is going, all these characters and so many secrets. Loved the dialogue and Hines inventive use of mutations has been amazing. The Toad kid especially was very creepy, that one panel with [spoiler] with his mother lying there seductively, licking his arm. Very Oedipal, and quite disturbing. [/spoiler]

Anyway, I'm sticking with this series and I hope it's around for a long while. And given it's position on the sales chart for May things look good. Number 35 that ain't bad. :)

-Transmetropolitan #4

Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

I'm really, really not a Bishop fan, because he's just another Rachel Summers to me -another X-man from an alternate future, I mean.
That, and he hasn't any sense of humor. :mad

But I like the X-cop idea.

I think I'll try the trade paperback, since it seems so well written.

Arrrgh ! Not enough money to follow Reload ! :X
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

The next issue of District X is up, in its entirety, at Mile High Comics. Here.