X-Statix General Discussion

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by SheCat »

Looked for this and didn't find a thread about it. I must say, I recieved my first issue as a subsciber today (Back From the Dead Part 6) and it made me laugh out loud. [spoiler]The reference to the obvious parody of the ring was hilarious, as was the notion of the Fantastic Four. I can't believe they killed off two main characters in one issue...that just seems a bit much. And no funeral for El Guapo. In my opinion, a great issue.[/spoiler]

Anyone else into X-Statix? Coming up next is a part about Vivisector. I wonder how [spoiler]he deals with Phat's recent demise[/spoiler]. After that, Avengers versus X-Statix.

:D
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

ewww!!!! That was so crazy!! I'm now in love with Dead Girl by the way. She needs a better name though. Is there allready a Macabre anywhere in Marvel? That would be good.

I didn't realize Phat was gay either. He was still lame, but that's at least an interesting twist. White wanna be street kid, that was gay.

I'm also a big fan of when charicters poke fun at other teams. It always makes me laugh. No matter how cheesey, I love it. However it was genuinly funny here.

Only one more issue to go untill the take on the Avengers? I can't wait!!! I'm still pulling for the Avengers over all, but if they let Dead Girl school Wanda, I woulndn't protest at all.
"Sweet crackers I'm blind!!!!" - Stormy
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by SheCat »

Two issues, Vivisector's "The Cure" is a two-parter.

And yes, Dead Girl is awesome. But she needs abetter name. But I love her sarcastic, pessimistic attitude. "God roast his soul", despite probably already used, made me snicker. Also, her mystery is so cliche it's funny. I think they purposefully made her an amnesiac to poke fun at the many others in the comics.

:offtopic
Hey Warbird, I've got two Dead Girl pics in the first link of my siggy, in case you're interested.
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
zati1
Lubber
Lubber

Post by zati1 »

i'm usually a pretty big x-statix fan, but i thought this issue was the worst one yet.

it just seemed to jump around so much and the ending was...rushed? forced? non-sensical?

it was just a big jump from fighting that code dude to all of a sudden, let's forget it and go find henrietta again. i dunno, it just didn't flow.

and then that one little section about doop's relatives? how did that fit into the story at all???
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by SheCat »

Well, the Doop part was odd, but I enjoyed it (I absolutely abhorred The Ring, which was the dumbest thing I've ever seen). They make a good parody, you must admit.

Now, where exactly is Spike Freeman? Dead Girl made a reference to him in Hell, but I don't know if that was sarcasm or not. I hope he's not dead; he's such a good exuse for so many bad puns.
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

I liked how it jumps around. It was really fast paced which, let's admitt it people, isn't too increadably common these days.

The ring pun was great!!! I really liked the spread of that page too, it really worked with the comedy.

As for Spike he seemed pretty dead to me.
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by SheCat »

But why, when, how? Spike was funny!

Dang, I miss five issues and the entire world sped up on me.
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

Yeah well I missed more than five. SheCat, do you get yours by mail or a comic store? I can go to my comic store and see if they still have any back issues to find out how he died. Actually I"ll probably go back and buy the whole arc anyway. He totally looked very dead though.

Now I am confused about something. Wasn't Henrietta the girl that was on their team that died? It seemed that way, but if she was, who was the murdered singer going after every one? I'm a tiney bit confused. And by "tiney" I mean completely.
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by SheCat »

Where did it show Spike dead? I must reread it...

I got the second graphic novel and just got my first by mail. I'm totally out of the loop.

And yes, Henrietta's returned psyche-mabobber was the one they were working with who died and killed people who listened to her CD. Yep. I'm confused too, but I only got that part of the arc.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Oh, man !
[spoiler]Phat, El Guapo, Spike and Henrietta are dead !![/spoiler] I can't say I'm not sad...but it's the beauty of X-Statix : ANYTHING can happen... even a giant "phat" foot landing right on Dead Girl's head ! :LOL:LOL

A fantastic issue, totally non-sensical, yes ! Just like the all Doop/Wolverine mini-series. And that's why I love it !:bamf
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

I went back some issues an figured out the whole Herietta mess. [spoiler] She's a Zombie mutant. They were going to just kill her but were sort of pushed into letting her on their team. Her ghost is getting revenge for the first time she died. [/spoiler]

As for spike [spoiler] Orphan went nuts and killed him. He set them all up in the documents to have them look bad incase they got out. He didn't want to go down alone [/spoiler].

So that's the scoop. Oh yeah, I was talking to the guys at my comic store and they were telling me that herietta was origionaly going to be princess Diana!!!! Marvel wouldn't let them though. I can see why not, but that would have been even more wild!!!
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

Has anyone else picked up the newest issue? I like it alot. It makes me really sad for Miles though. [spoiler] It's so sad. He gets rid of his mutation for his family and they still reject him and he loses his boyfirend. On top of that he's off the team!!! [/spoiler] With the way they've been loosing team members I'm sure that he'll have a way of reversing it. At this rate they'll never be able to take on the Avengers if they don't!!
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by SheCat »

We know there will be a Vivisector because he has to face off against Hawkeye. [spoiler]Myles will probably return, but Milligan might just like to screw with our heads and have Finlay. Me, I'm happy that we got some reminiscent Dead Girl and Anarchist. It's been a while since DaAR got any attention, so DG calling Tike "Live Boy" is really nice for me. Just like the older times.[/spoiler]
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

Originally posted by SheCat
[spoiler] Me, I'm happy that we got some reminiscent Dead Girl and Anarchist. It's been a while since DaAR got any attention, so DG calling Tike "Live Boy" is really nice for me. Just like the older times.[/spoiler]
I didn't pick up on that at all. I think I need to pick up a TPB or two and get some real history. I'm really into these guys now, but seem to still be pretty clueless about them overall.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Well, it's great you liked the issue. For me, it was the worst X-statix issue ever.
Don't get me wrong, Milligan and Allred's X-Statix never sucks, but I dunno... I felt no...intensity.

Anyway, I'm waiting for part 2 AND the X-Statix/Avengers fight !

GO DOOP ! :D (no, I'm not tired of repeating myself)
www.atlantys.biz

Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

I think it set up for some actuall emotion for a change. I haven't been reading long, but it seems more like a campy comic, that an even remotely seriouse one, and this was a change. I liked it, but I like the comidic side of the X-Statix better. I read it becuase it's fun, not becuase I think it really has substance. I'm sure all writers want to mix it up now and then.
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by SheCat »

I don't know, my standards for comics might just be really low (I liked the Lorna/Havok wedding fiasco for God's sake) but I like these. I liked the last one more (nothing like bad "The Ring" parodies), but it still beats out the "Moons of Venus" Arc.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

I liked the Lorna/Havok non-wedding too ! I like crazy Lorna !

Concerning X-Statix, it's all about parody, but sometimes the story can be touching. Just like U-Go-Girl's death in X-Force #127-128.
www.atlantys.biz

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

The thing I don't get about X-Statix is [spoiler]that sex suit Xavier made for Venus.[/spoiler] I mean, what the hell? Why would he do that? I could see it if she had any real use for the freaky thing, but he had to know she was just going to use it to [spoiler]jump right into bed[/spoiler] with [spoiler]Mr Sensitard[/spoiler] and he had to know that guy is [spoiler]a dink[/spoiler]. I thought Xavier was supposed to be a good guy!
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

Yeah, I take this line with a grain of salt. Nothing in it is at all how I precieve the other X-Men or Xavier. I don't get most of what happens. I still find it incredably amusing though. I had no idea about that little suit though... once again, when I get more money, I'm going to pick up the trades. I need to catch up on this madness, that is, X-Statix.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I almost quit reading several times during the first arc. It was like, constant jumping from one scene to another, with no explanation of who any of the people were, and only a vague idea of what they were doing. Horrible. It got better, but it's still disjointed and the "art" makes me want to ralph.

It's a pretty depressing read, actually. Sure it's "fun" but it's also an extreme downer.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Since the title will very soon bite the dust, it's time to resurrect this thread. So, what do you think they'll do for the final issue ?? I've seen a picture and it seems [spoiler]Guy Smith will be the final victim ![/spoiler] I know it pleases some people, but me, I'm :(
You know, after all, it's logical. [spoiler]Guy is the star of the show. If he vanishes, so does X-Statix.[/spoiler]
One thing is for sure : Dead Girl will stay dead......... :LOL

Um... I'm SO gonna miss Doop... Hey, perhap's he'll join the X-Men full-time ??:D
www.atlantys.biz

SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by SheCat »

Fine, I won't cheer (I'm saving that for if Storm dies). [spoiler]Guy just ticks me off. I have a tendency to dislike overrated characters, and he seems pretty overrated to me.

Wouldn't it be awesome if, after Guy dies, Dead Girl and Anarchist go off to return to the Death and Anarchy roadshow together? I'd be talking about the fanfic fodder from Hell. :D I wish we could get some more romance between the two. I love them as a couple.[/spoiler]

Do you have a link to that picture?
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Uh... I think I saw the image at Comix-fan or Comicscontinuum. (Marvel Comics August 2004 preview)
:D

And you're way too hard with [spoiler]Guy. He's the best ! [/spoiler]

Concerning Storm : no chance she'll ever die !
www.atlantys.biz

SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by SheCat »

But I really want Storm to die! :mad

No, Dead Girl is the best of the X-Statix. By faaaaaaar. And Tike and Myles. :D And Doop. But DG rocks.