Even Angels have Scars -- Complete

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

CALIFORNIA PRIDE!!!!! Yay! I can't tell you how great this story is coming along, I will lose my breath. You are writing at a fine pace, no need to rush.
one name: Bruce Campbell
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by zamweasel
That's interesting, because that was not intended to be a cliff hanger. I didn't write Margali's reaction because at this point in the story, it's not that important. Since I had already written on reaction to Kurt's ability to teleport (Wolfgang's) I figured that there didn't need to be another one.
That's exactly how I felt...you don't need to explore it when the reader basically knows how people will react...in this case...people that love Kurt would except it and still love him...people who are afraid would just be more so...I write 'cliff-hangers' like that all the time :D
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
NWKurt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by NWKurt »

I hope I'm not writing too slowly - taking too long to build things up, because a lot of the pay off for the things going on now take place about 10 years from this point. ......If you get bored with some of this exposition, give a holler and I can skip ahead.
Ahhh, no! Please done skip ahead, I'm enjoying this at the pace it is going, and I for one dont wish to miss anything you have been so generous to post. I'm happy at the rate it is going :D
Let us try to live our lost illusions....They're the sun at night.....If we don't, we'll never taste.....The spice of life!
~Enigma~ Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi! The Prism Of Life
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Okay, it sounds like I should just keep posting like I'm doing it. That's cool by me.

I'm still trying to figure out how you knew that Werther's original caramels are my favorite candy. I'm eating one now.

I'm going to post now and maybe again later since it looks like the inevitable is going to happen. I tried to fight it but on Monday I have to go into the hospital for a week or so to deal with my crazy migraines. I cope pretty well, but eventually my sight and balance go so I have to go in. So I'm hoping it's a short trip.

Anyway - here's another story.

-e
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Fatherly Advice

Post by Saint Kurt »

"Is it that you don’t like scaring people because you don’t want them to be afraid? Or, is it that you don’t like scaring people because you don’t like the way it makes you feel when they are afraid?”

James had a suitcase in each hand and a third bag hung over his shoulder but he hardly felt the weight. He walked through the camp pointing out the sights as he went.

“This is where we all eat.” He said, nodding his head towards the collection of picnic tables clustered under a large oak tree. “And you can see the big tent way over there. This is where Wolfgang lives but he’s never there. And that’s Margali’s new trailer but I think she wishes she still had the old one. Oh, and you’re lucky because since we've got a well there’s a shower tent, otherwise you have to use the…” James stopped talking when he heard Brin laughing.

“You’re babbling.” She said.

James stopped walking. “Oh, okay.” He said.

“I think it’s cute.”

James grinned. “Well, I’ll continue then. This is our trailer. Wolfgang shuffled everyone around so that we could have it to ourselves. Normally it’s Christian and me in here so everyone calls it ‘Wenig Amerika’, Little America. Isn't that sweet?” He pushed open the door with his butt and pulled the suitcases in. Brin followed him inside and looked around.

“It’s no smaller than a Manhattan apartment.” She said.

“Actually, I think it’s bigger than my first apartment.” James said. He pulled Brin to him and planted a kiss on her forehead. “Anyway, the décor has improved immensely in the last few seconds.” Brin laughed and stood on her tiptoes to kiss him on the lips.

“I hope I’m interrupting something.”

They moved apart and saw Wolfgang leaning into the door. Brin put her arms out to give him a hug. “Wolfgang, you look so respectable with your hair short.”

He stepped in. “Why thank you. And you look stunning as always, lovely Brianna.” Wolfgang ended their embrace by taking her hand in his to twirl her around and drop her into a graceful dip.

“What, you’re stealing my girlfriend after only five minutes?” James said. Brin laughed and gave Wolfgang a peck on the cheek.

Wolfgang looked at his watch. “Two.” He said. “Has James given you the tour yet?”

“Sort of,” said Brin smoothing back her chin length hair. “But I’m sure I’ll be lost for the next week.”

“I doubt it. It’s not that big. It’s going to take you forever to learn how to pronounce everyone’s names though.” James said. There was a knock on the door and Wolfgang opened it.

“This is Christian.” He said, letting in the tall blonde haired cyclist who still looked more like surfer than a circus performer. “He said he’d help out translating for you.”

“Oh.” Said Brin, surprised. “Thanks.”

“No worries.” Christian said shaking her hand. “Nearly everyone speaks some English so you shouldn’t have too many problems. You’ll find that German is pretty much the norm though, so don’t be afraid to ask people to repeat themselves. And if I’m not around there’s Wolfgang of course, plus Sven and Nils are pretty dialed. They can speak Russian too, which is excellent because the Wollecks are Romanian. Their Russian pretty much rocks, but most of them are still trying to learn German.”

“I speak Russian too.” Wolfgang said.

Christian rolled his eyes. “Yeah, so you’re pretty much covered on the whole Russian thing. Oh, and Kurt can translate for you into German, French, and Latin as if that does any good.”

“How do you guys get anything done?” Brin asked. “I mean, it sounds like a giant game of telephone.”

Christian laughed. “I know, it’s nuts isn’t it? But it’s all good.”

“You get used to it.” James said. “Wolfgang tries to speak English when I’m around. So do Kurt and Amanda. I’m never sure if that’s English Christian is speaking or not. Everyone else pretty much forgets. Hey, how are you settling in Christian?”

“”I’m crashing at Margali’s.” Christian told Brin as if she actually knew who Margali was. He grinned. “Margali’s new trailer is sweet dude. It’s actually got rooms with doors. Which kicks because they keep the oddest hours.”

“When Margali’s van was totaled she needed a new one.” Wolfgang said.

“So Wolfgang somehow negotiated three.” James interjected.

Wolfgang shrugged. “We were completely over crowded. We needed the space and a proper office. It’s better now right?”

Christian and James shrugged in agreement.

There was another knock on the door.

“Is it always like this?” Brin asked.

“Actually no.” James said. “Normally people don’t knock. And I don’t usually get this many visitors.”

“Except in this case James has practically tattooed the date of your arrival on everyone’s foreheads.” Wolfgang said. He opened the door. “Hey speak of the devil.”

Amanda peeked in holding a bouquet of fresh picked flowers. “Hi.” She said. “I’m Amanda. Oh, these are for you.” Brin smiled as she accepted the flowers. “I feel like I know you.” Amanda said, “James talks about you all the time.”

“I gathered.” Brin said. “Thanks for the flowers, they’re really nice.” She bent down to sniff them.

Kurt looked in. “Wow. Is like an English speaking convention in here. Is James’ girlfriend finally get here?” He asked. He had just stepped through the door when Brin shrieked and dropped the flowers. Kurt froze. Brin shrieked again and Kurt was surprised when Christian shoved him roughly out the door and shut it. Nobody spoke.

“Honey, why did you do that?” James asked when the silence became unbearable. Amanda bent down to gather the flowers off the floor.

“I… I’m sorry. I just wasn’t expecting… What…Who was that?” Brin said, still holding a hand to her chest.

“That was Kurt.” James said. “I told you about him. He was on our living room wall for a year.” He didn’t want to sound angry but it was embarrassing. He’d been startled by Kurt’s appearance too, but he’d certainly handled the situation with more composure. It was true he had had to lie about Wolfgang’s art, but so far neither of them had called him on it.

“I know.” Brin said wiping her eyes. “When you said he was like that all the time, I thought you were being metaphorical.”

James sighed and wrapped his arms around her. “It’s okay. It’s been a long trip. You’re tired. I’ll introduce you tomorrow and things will be fine.”

“Yeah, okay.” Brin said skeptically.

“I’ve got to go look for him.” Wolfgang said, “I’ll see you guys later.”

Christian tapped Amanda on the shoulder and gestured at the door. Amanda handed the flowers back to Brin. “It was, um, nice meeting you.” She said. Brin nodded in silence as she took her flowers. James looked apologetically at Amanda but said nothing. What could he say?

“Why did you do that to Kurt?” Amanda said sternly as she and Christian walked back to their trailer.

“I didn’t know what to do. She was completely tweaked.” Christian said. “I just wanted her to stop screaming at him. I should go with Wolfgang and apologize.” He turned to follow, but Amanda caught his elbow.

“Let Wolfgang handle it.” She said.

“You think so?” Christian asked.

“Definitely,” said Amanda “There are only three people who can talk to Kurt after something like this happens, Father Dietrich, my mom, and Wolfgang.”

Wolfgang found Kurt alone under the oak tree. He was sitting at one of the tables, his chin in his hands staring gloomily off into the distance. Wolfgang sat down at the table across from him.

“Why so blue?” Wolfgang asked.

Kurt shut his eyes. “I am so glad that joke only works in English,” he said. “You know why. And can we please speak in German now.”

Wolfgang acquiesced. “I’m sure she didn’t mean it.” He said.

Kurt stayed silent.

“I think you just surprised her, that’s all. It’s nothing that hasn’t happened before. You know once she talks to you she’ll like you.” Wolfgang said.

“Do I?” Kurt asked.

“Sure. Everyone does. What’s eating at you anyway? Usually this kind of thing hardly bothers you at all.”

Kurt let his hands drop down to the table. “Isn’t it obvious?” He asked.

Wolfgang shook his head. “No, it’s not actually. Really, what’s bugging you?”

“Oh, Forget it.” Kurt said and vanished in a cloud of dark smoke.

Wolfgang stood up and looked around. “Kurt that’s not fair.” He called out, but there was no answer. The best thing to do now was look for the nearest church.

The church was small, made of stone and with a steep gabled roof. It was the kind of typical little church that dotted the European continent. Wolfgang allowed his gaze to follow the lines of the roof to the steeple. The gargoyle glowering down from the roof’s peak looked very familiar.

“You’re not fooling anyone.” Wolfgang called up. “Why don’t you come down?”

Wolfgang could see Kurt’s shoulders sink as he sighed and a second later his friend was standing beside him. “Good, now I…” But before Wolfgang could finish his sentence Kurt grabbed him. They reappeared on top of the roof.

“Ahh!” Wolfgang gripped the roof’s peak to keep from sliding down. He hauled himself up so that he and Kurt were facing each other, Wolfgang straddling the peak and Kurt perched atop it. Wolfgang craned his neck to look down. “I swear to God Kurt, if you teleport off of here without taking me with you, when I do get down your mangled mutant body will be on the news.” He said.

“Don’t worry. I won’t,” Kurt said.

“Well then, are you going to tell me what’s wrong or are going to continue to pout like you’re five years old.” Wolfgang asked.

Kurt stared at him dejectedly for a moment. “It’s girls,” he finally admitted.

“Girls? What about them?” Wolfgang said, surprised.

Kurt shrugged. “James has Brin. You have Maria who you told me about. Even Lars is seeing Gretchen.” He said.

“He is?” Wolfgang interrupted.

“Yeah. We used to hang out a lot more. Now he’s with her most of the time and three’s a crowd if you know what I mean.” Wolfgang nodded sympathetically. “And since Brin’s reaction to me is fairly typical,” Kurt continued, “I’ll never have a girlfriend.”

“That’s not true. I mean, yes you do have certain obstacles to overcome but trust me, any woman who gets to know you will forget about all that. Looks get a girl in the door, but she stays because of what’s inside.”

Kurt laughed. “Yeah, you should know Mr. Tall, Dark, and Handsome, you were quite the Casanova when you first came.”

Wolfgang nodded sadly. “I was being stupid. Sewing the royal oats, as they say, is not all that it’s cracked up to be.”

“At least you had the option.” Kurt said.

Wolfgang sighed. “If you’ll permit me to give you some fatherly advice,” he said. Kurt gave a snort of laughter but Wolfgang forged ahead.

“Women respond to confidence. They want to feel safe, protected; they want to know that they can rely on you and that you’ll always be there for them. Now, I’ve failed miserably in this department but it doesn’t mean that you have to.”

“I am confident.” Kurt said.

“Agreed, with people you know. And with an audience you’ll never really meet. But, that’s not how you act when introduced to someone for the first time. First impressions matter my friend.” Wolfgang said.

“I don’t like to scare people.” Kurt said.

Wolfgang nodded in agreement. “That’s fine. But is it that you don’t like scaring people because you don’t want them to be afraid? Or, is it that you don’t like scaring people because you don’t like the way it makes you feel when they are afraid?”

“I don’t know.” Kurt said, “the latter maybe.”

“Then here is another piece of advice: Stop caring.”

“What do you mean stop caring? I can’t stop caring about that.” Kurt said.

“I mean stop worrying whether people are going to accept you or not and just assume that they will. That way, if they don’t it’s their fault and their loss." Wolfgang said.

“So if I walk into a room and someone screams, I should just carry on like nothing happened?” Kurt said in disbelief.

“Exactly. If you cower in the corner and cringe when people come near you, that’s what a woman is going to remember. Even if an hour later you’re making her laugh and charming the pants off her.” Wolfgang said.

“I’d never do that.” Kurt said in mock earnestness.

“Yeah, you’re such an angel.” Wolfgang said with a laugh. “But you get my point right? Stop worrying. Use your personality to put people at ease. Turn their fear into laughter. Pretend they’re an audience if you have to.”

Kurt looked skeptical, but finally nodded his head. “Okay.” He said.

Wolfgang looked around. “So, can we get down from here now? My ass is really starting to hurt.”

Kurt looked over the trees towards the camp. “Do you want to walk back or take the short cut?” He asked.

“That's pretty far. You’re not going to knock either of us unconscious are you?”

“No. I’ve been practicing.” Kurt said.

Wolfgang looked off into the distance and shrugged. “The shortcut then.” And they were gone.

Brin spent the week watching just as James had done when he first arrived. Occasionally Christian or Wolfgang joined her to translate the conversations between the performers as they worked. She kept careful notes, enumerating each performer’s strong and weak points. James hadn’t been joking about the names. Thankfully, the show’s leads had short easy to pronounce names, but she was definitely having a tough time with learning so many foreign names in such a short span of time.

Of the four leads, Gretchen was the smoothest, the most dancer-like. Lars and his sister were on even ground, they were both athletes more than they were artists. They weren’t completely hopeless though. Kurt was the most dynamic. He seemed to be more aware of his body than the others and his proprioception, the ability understand how his movements related to everything going on around him, was almost inhuman. At the same time she wasn’t quite sure what to do with him. Brin had been a dancer her entire life and she had spent countless hours looking at and thinking about the way the human body moves; she understood every muscle and every nuance. But Kurt stood just outside the boundaries of that understanding. She wondered, “Did she need to choreograph his tail?” Was it even possible for him to control its movement? And his hands and feet were so different, could he move them and position them in the same way as his fellow performers or would she have to limit everybody else to match him when they were on stage together?

Brin could tell she was on shaky ground with him anyways. James had re-introduced them the next morning by inviting him to eat breakfast at their table. But he hadn’t eaten anything and spent the whole time avoiding her gaze as if at any moment he expected her to start screaming again. She wondered how she was going to work with him at all.
NWKurt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by NWKurt »

Awwwww, poor Kurty :( Every time.....the same thing..... I know he will eventually get over it!

Keep it up Zam! :bow We all love ya for this!
Let us try to live our lost illusions....They're the sun at night.....If we don't, we'll never taste.....The spice of life!
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

:(*huggles Kurt tightly* Poor Fuzzy, everybody GROUP HUG GROUP HUG!!! As always you are doing a terrifico job.

Werthers Original Caramels are soooooo good if you bake them in brownies mmmmmmm:lick
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Lauren »

Grrrrr *thwaps Bri good for screaming like that at Kurt* what a.. that just made me angry! you needs to write more right away and make me happy again missy! Pronto! *sits down and waits expectantly for next happy installment of story*
"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call." -Vash the Stampede

"No, you see I'm blind in my right eye now... So boring. You know what really makes me pissy? Grunge, Heroine chic, and dying are over. I so hate being behind the curve. Tourism's up." Brett(Alan Cumming) from Urbania
theindigojester
Lubber
Lubber

Post by theindigojester »

Awesome job. I have to agree with everyone on the pace, it's perfect. I love your detail and that you take the time to really create a story that makes sense so we'll understand how he reacts when he goes through things later on in life. Keep up the great work.

I also hope your hospital trip is short as well and everything works out.
"A face only a mother could hurl into a river."
:):evokurt:moviecrawler:ultimate;)
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Trust Issues

Post by Saint Kurt »

I have internet access in the hospital. How cool is that?

“Find away to show Kurt and everyone else that you trust him and that he can trust you. And you have to do it in a way that Kurt can’t back out of and where everyone can see you do it.”

It was only a week after her arrival that Brin stood before the assembled performers. They were seated on the floor around her, loosely collected by acts. All of them were dressed in their workout clothes, looking at her expectantly. She glanced over at Wolfgang and started to talk.

“Most of you will each play several roles in this show. It’s not going to be a circus in the traditional sense as I’m sure you’ve figured out, so we have to pay close attention to characterization.” She began and then paused to let Wolfgang’s translating catch up.

“Most of you play a gypsy and a forest creature.” Brin checked her notes. “In fact, our only full time forest creatures are Christian and Kurt.”

“Full time forest creatures.” Christian said laughing. “Dude, that’s righteous. Gimme three Kurt!” He held up his hand to high-five Kurt who returned the gesture rather patronizingly.

Brin stared at him. “Sorry,” Christian mouthed sheepishly.

“You’ll be changing costumes of course, but if you don’t change the way you move as well, the audience will know and the illusion will be lost. So that’s what we’re going to do today. We’re going to invent our “forest creature movement”. Brin said.

Some of her audience was looking at her quizzically. By the time Wolfgang had finished translating into German and Russian for her, they all were. She had had a feeling this was going to happen. Luckily, Brin was ready. She pulled out a large portable stereo.

“We’re going to dance.” She said.

Sven raised his hand. “Dance like how?” He asked.

“However we want. We’ll each experiment until we find the movements that we like to define our creatures.” Brin leaned over and pressed play on the tape deck. She’d borrowed on of James’ many electronica tapes. This one was mainly dance music along the techno and house vein. She’d mix it up later, but she figured this was a good beginning since it was most definitely danceable.

She turned it up as loud as it would go and started dancing around. At first everybody was just watching her. She made a point of not dancing in any particular style, simply moving in a way that was suited to the music. When nobody got up to join her, she made her way over to Lars and took him by the hands. He looked amused at first and tried to follow her movements, but finally got the idea and started experimenting. It wasn’t long before she’d managed to coax the rest of the group into dancing around on the floor of the tent.

She noticed that it wasn’t long before collaborations started. It seemed that the performers naturally wanted to work in teams. She didn’t discourage it, but when she noticed too obvious a link up, such as a catcher and flyer pair together, she wandered over and gently cut in. Christian, apparently still thrilled with their full time forest creature titles had joined with Kurt, but the two of them were being way too silly. She caught Christian by the hand and encouraged him to tone it down. Without his comedy partner, Kurt followed suit, crossing the floor to dance with Amanda, who for the first time would be a performer in the show. Actually, now that he was being serious, Brin realized he was the best of the bunch. Then again, he kind of looked like a forest creature anyway.

Brin tried to encourage them to stay away from contrived movements and come up with something new. And for the most part they were. She was sure that it wouldn’t be long before they each created an identity of their own through movement. It was her favorite kind of choreography because it came from the performer's heart rather than a set of instructions.

Brin shut the water off and plucked her towel off the hook. After two weeks with the circus she’d gotten into a routine of taking the first shower each morning. She had to admit that of all the so-called amenities that the circus’ camp offered, the shower tent was probably the best. They had water from a well but not much else in the way of plumbing so a careful layout had been important. The shower tent was located a little ways from the camp where the water could drain into culvert and be carried into a nearby stream. The toilets were, well, she didn’t want to think about the toilets.

The tent itself was some kind of German military issue. It had a wooden frame and even a hinged door, but the roof and sides were made of olive drab canvas. A small propane boiler sat in one corner connected to a showerhead hanging from one of the wood beams that supported the tent. The boiler had enough hot water for one person to take a five minute shower. She usually stretched it out by turning the water off while she soaped up and then turning it back on to rinse off.

It was morning so the air was cool, a little bracing even as she dried off. The heat of the water had caused the tent to fill with steam so Brin cracked the door to let some of it out. Nearly everybody was still asleep. Brin was a morning person and she relished her time alone before the rest of the circus woke up. In an hour there would be people everywhere, but at that very moment all was silent except for their snores. There was no need for modesty so Brin hung the towel up and started combing her hair.

The door to the tent swung open and she screamed; all at once trying to grab the towel, cover herself with her hands, and push the door shut. “Get out!” she yelled throwing her brush at the door. There was a flash of blue and the door slammed closed. It was Kurt. Why did it have to be Kurt?

Ever since the first day, Brin had felt the whole Kurt situation was rapidly escalating beyond her control. He had startled her that was all. She didn’t dislike him. In fact, he was quite charming. He was a good friend to James and Wolfgang clearly adored him. Brin desperately wanted to clear up the misunderstanding of their first meeting but was finding it impossible. And now she had screamed at him. Again.

The problem was not so much with Kurt as everyone else. It seemed that the entire circus had a protective instinct when it came to their most high profile acrobat. Whenever Brin came anywhere near him it was only a matter of seconds before she was diverted and pulled in the opposite direction. She couldn’t even get a single word in. It had been weeks and she never had a chance to apologize for the first time she screamed at him. Now she had done it again and it was doubtful she’d ever get a chance to apologize for this time.

Brin sighed. There had to be a way to show everybody, including Kurt, that she wasn’t afraid of him.

Brin was running everyone through Les Chansons’ opening act when Wolfgang walked in carrying a small stack of papers.

“I’ve got our messages.” He called out in German waving them. Wolfgang, tired of having the circus unreachable for months at a time, had finally brought them into the 20th century with voice mail. Now it was finally possible for friends and family members to contact the members of Circus Gehlhaar where ever they were. The recent addition of a satellite phone and fax machine in Wolfgang’s office expanded the communication possibilities even further. He could now contact the places they were going to play and arrange for publicity even while they were on the road.

Rehearsal came to an abrupt halt. Wolfgang looked sheepish. “Sorry to interrupt Brin.”

She shrugged. “Anything for me?” She asked as Wolfgang passed various papers to the small crowd around him, glancing quickly at each one to make sure it went to the right person.

“Nope. Since you and James are now in the same country neither of you have any messages.”

“What about you? Do you have any messages?” James asked. He had gotten up from behind his keyboards and strolled over.

“As a matter of fact I do.” Wolfgang said trying to sound innocent. “Maria called. She arrives next week.”

Brin jumped up and hugged him. “That’s fantastic news! I haven’t seen Maria in years.”

“Well it’s about goddamn time.” James said. He punched Wolfgang on the shoulder.

Wolfgang held up his hand. “Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Kurt!”

Kurt had started practicing with Petra and had her balanced rather precariously on his hands. “Ja?” He answered without looking away from what he was doing.

“Father Dietrich called.”

“Ja?” He switched his grip so Petra could rebalance herself.

“He wants to know how many are coming to mass.” Wolfgang said.

Kurt gave Petra a small boost with his hands. She popped into the air and landed in his arms. They both smiled as Kurt gently deposited Petra on her feet. “I’m going.” Kurt said as he put her down. He walked over to where Wolfgang was standing.

“I figured that.” Said Wolfgang.

“Mass?” James asked.

“Yeah.” Wolfgang said. “Kurt has a friend who’s a priest. He invites Kurt and anyone else who wants to come for Mass over Christmas. I went last year. It was pretty fun. I'm going to go again.”

“Oh. I’ll go.” James said. “I usually go to mass on Christmas anyways.”

“You’re Catholic?” Kurt asked.

“I’m a graduate of St. Ignatius Catholic School for boys. Best Catholic education Manhattan has to offer. I was even an Altar boy.” James said and rubbed his knuckles on his shirt as though polishing them.

“You were?” Kurt sounded amazed.

“Stop looking at me like I’m some kind of rock star. It’s not like it’s big deal to be an altar boy. And you’ve certainly got to watch your behind if you know what I mean.” He laughed.

“Watch behind you? Why?”

James opened his eyes wide. “You’re kidding. You don’t know about priests and…” But before he could finish Wolfgang poked him and shook his head with his finger over his lips.

Kurt looked confused.

“So, where is it?” James asked to change the subject.

“Germany, just outside of Hamburg. It's far. Last year we did to take the train.” Kurt said.

“You took a train? How is that possible?” Brin asked. She blanched when Kurt, Wolfgang, and James turned to stare at her. She’d done it again. Maybe it was a good thing that everyone kept her and Kurt separated. It lessened the chances of her saying anything stupid.

“With tickets and luggage, just like everyone else.” Kurt said. “They even issue passports to monsters nowadays. What is this world coming to?”

“That’s not what she meant.” James said.

“I know what she meant.” Kurt said. “I’m not in this part of the show. I have other things to do.”

"You know" Wolfgang said philosophically after watching Kurt stomp out of the tent, "his English always gets better when he's mad."

“Are you going to go after him?” James asked.

Wolfgang glanced around at the tent flap through which Kurt had made his exit. “No. He’s being melodramatic. We all knew what you meant Brin, even if the question was a little blunt.”

“I don’t know what to do.” Brin cried in exasperation. “I know I made a mistake that first day, but I really didn’t expect the guy from our living room wall to walk through the door. Now it’s hopeless. I might as well stick my foot in my mouth the minute Kurt walks into the room.”

“I know what you have to do.” Wolfgang said in his “definitive answer” voice.

“Oh no.” James deadpanned.

Wolfgang was undeterred. “Find away to show Kurt and everyone else that you trust him and that he can trust you. And you have to do it in a way that Kurt can’t back out of and where everyone can see you do it.”

“It’s that easy huh?” Brin asked sarcastically.

“I didn’t say it was easy.” Wolfgang said.

“How am I supposed to do all that at once anyways?” Brin asked.

“I don’t know. James?”

James shook his head. “No idea.”

“You guys are useless.” Brin said. She turned away and started gathering everyone up to resume the rehearsal. She wasn't even sure Wolfgang's idea would fix things, and even if it could, how was she going to find a scenario like that. Brin sighed. It was hopeless.
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

:oOMGOMGOMGOMG!!! More! You must post more now! That is one humungous cliffhanger, I will die, that was sooo evil of you, I like evil. But I want more! *spleen comes out mouth*
NWKurt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by NWKurt »

Hehehehe! CurlyyHairGirl dont have a heart attack! I dont think Zam will abandon us, now c'mon, Internet access at the hospital? How cool is that!

The nailbiter ending gives us a sense of just what Brin is going through. We dont know what is going to happen any more than she does. Kinda fun, projecting a situatuon onto the reader!

Ya know, sitting here just fininshed watching a Cirque du Soleil DVD, too bad Fuzzy isnt in there, I keep expecting to see him jump onto the stage any second! You know he'd make an excelent addition to their performance too!:D
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

ih ih ih! *spazing out imensly* I know, but it will keep me from sleeping now, or maybe the opposite, I am an insomniac after all, not sayin the story is boreing...oh heck no!! I almost cracked my head open when I fell out of the chair, now this is a story to keep you on the edge of your seat. *holds ice pack oh large bleeding bump on head*
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

Thanks again for all the feedback. I'm really enjoying writing this. I'm glad you don't want me to "cut to the chase" as it were since it's the little things that make it fun and special to write. I'm trying to do a little writing her in the hospital, but I am so tired I've hardly made a dent.

I like Brin. She not mean, just a little high strung with a tendency to put her foot in her mouth. She'll come around I'm sure.

I keep falling asleep at my keyboard so I better post another bit of the story before this turns into gibberish.

Oh and if anyone is really interested my # here is 1-773-665-3940. I wouldn't mind a quick hello to pick up my spirits. I hate hospitals. :(

Okay - on with the story...
-e
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

Thanks again for all the feedback. I'm really enjoying writing this. I'm glad you don't want me to "cut to the chase" as it were since it's the little things that make it fun and special to write. I'm trying to do a little writing her in the hospital, but I am so tired I've hardly made a dent.

I like Brin. She not mean, just a little high strung with a tendency to put her foot in her mouth. She'll come around I'm sure.

I keep falling asleep at my keyboard so I better post another bit of the story before this turns into gibberish.

Oh and if anyone is really interested my # here is 1-773-665-3940. I wouldn't mind a quick hello to pick up my spirits. I hate hospitals. :(

Okay - on with the story...
-e
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Learning to Fly

Post by Saint Kurt »

"Kurt, if I did the routine with you instead, do you think it would be safe?"

Wolfgang led Maria in a winding path through the various tents and trailers. They had spent four days together in Madrid before driving northward, back to Canet de Mar and Circus Gehlhaar. It was early evening, the sun just beginning to set. They could hear James and Brin over in the outdoor kitchen; it was their turn to make dinner that night. After dinner the acrobats would take a break, but James would be in the tent rehearsing the band. Wolfgang stopped at the Szardos' trailer and smiled at Maria. He pushed open the door and looked in.

Kurt was stretched out on his bunk with a book.

"What are you reading?" Wolfgang asked. Kurt held up his dog-eared copy of Captain Blood. "Again? Can we come in?" Wolfgang asked.

Kurt looked up. "We?"

"Yeah, I want you to meet Maria. We just got back."

"Oh, No! I'm busy. Sorry." Kurt leapt out of his bunk with the speed and agility he normally reserved for the trapeze. He pushed Wolfgang out the door and slammed it shut. Wolfgang heard the lock click. He frowned, exchanged a glance with Maria, and knocked on the door.

"The door is shut." Kurt called from inside. Wolfgang saw blinds drop down inside the trailer's windows.

Maria looked confused. Wolfgang made a mental note to explain the whole door opened/door shut custom of circus privacy. In this particular case though, he didn't think it counted. He crossed his arms over his chest and leaned his back against the door.

"What's this about Kurt? I want to introduce you. Why don't you come out?" Said Wolfgang.

"That's okay. I'd rather stay in. I have a lot to do." Kurt said through the door. Wolfgang could tell he was right on the other side of it.

"What do you have to do? You're reading a book you've already read fifty times. This is ridiculous." Wolfgang rolled his eyes. Maria was watching him with interest.

"Go away!"

"I'm not going away until you explain what's going on." Wolfgang turned to face the door and tried the handle. It was still locked. He suddenly realized what the problem was. He was afraid of Maria's reaction. "Did we or did we not sit on the roof of a church and have a conversation about this very subject?" Wolfgang said. Maria looked at him quizzically.

"Yes."

"Well, this isn't exactly the kind of response I was talking about. What happened to being confident?" Wolfgang said.

"I changed my mind."

Wolfgang sighed and shook his head. He was about to knock again when Maria took his hand in hers. "He can be a little skittsh at times." He told her.

"Then maybe a different approach is what needed." She said. Maria didn't speak as many languages as Wolfgang, but she spoke German and English as well as she did her native Italian. She gently guided Wolfgang aside and took his place at the door. She tapped on the door softly.

"Kurt?" She asked. There was no answer. "Kurt, I'd really like to meet you."

"Please leave me alone."

Maria twirled a strand of her long dark hair around one finger thoughtfully. " Wolfgang's told me so much about you." She said, "I was really looking forward to meeting you in person."

"I'm sorry to disappoint you." Kurt said.

"Hasn't Wolfgang told you about me?" She asked. There was a long pause.

"Yes."

"And so aren't you the least bit curious?" She asked. There was another pause.

"Yes. But I can't." Kurt said from the interior.

"You can't what?" Maria asked. Her voice was soothing and at the same time almost playful.

"I don't want you to see what I look like." Kurt finally admitted.

"But I already know what you look like." Maria said. "Do you think that matters to me?" There was no answer.

"Well, it doesn't," she continued in a conversational tone. " So. I want to meet you. You want to meet me. Why don't you let me in? It's not polite to keep a lady waiting on the threshold." Wolfgang was watching her with a small smile on his face. She smiled back. "Are you going to open the door?" She asked.

"No."

"I'm sorry," Maria said, "But I just won't take no for answer."

"What!" The door swung open. "What do you mean you won't take no for an answer? How can you say that? Wolfgang?" Kurt asked. He glared at Wolfgang accusatorially.

"Don't look at me." Wolfgang said.

Kurt turned his attention to Maria. She smiled. "Ah. There you are. So, can I come in?"

Nodding his head in defeated acquiescence, Kurt put out a hand and she took it and stepped into the trailer. "This is so much nicer than Wolfgang's trailer." She said as she opened the blinds. Kurt backed away as Wolfgang stepped in and closed the door.

They had the same type of personality. From the moment Wolfgang entered a room to the moment he left, he owned it. He didn't hold court or command everybody's attention, but he made subtle adjustments to conversation and the atmosphere, just enough of a change so that his influence was obvious only to those who knew him. He was like the perfect party host, he made everyone look better and sound wittier.

Maria did the same thing only differently. Whereas Wolfgang leaned in the direction of turning everything into a raucous party, Maria did the opposite. She made things calmer, safer. They should have neutralized each other, but they didn't. Instead, their influences intertwined created an atmosphere of encouragement and creativity.

"Well, now that that's taken care of." Wolfgang said. "Kurt, Maria. Maria, Kurt."

"It's nice to meet you." Kurt said and held out his hand.

"Oh, don't be silly." Maria said. "The way Wolfgang talks about you I was expecting you to walk on water." She pulled him into a hug and gave him a peck on the cheek. "Thanks for keeping him out of trouble."

Kurt stepped back, surprised, speechless for the second time in his life.

When she wasn't choreographing their few dance numbers Brin usually stuck around in the big tent to act as sort of consultant. Wolfgang was right, occasionally the transitions were not so much sloppy as they were utilitarian; no more than a way to get from one place to another. Even if she couldn't block out precise steps and movements, she could usually make subtle adjustments so things looked smoother.

Laurentiu and his family had strung their tight wires and were practicing. Brin had done gymnastics in school as a child and the balance beam always seemed a ridiculously tiny place to do anything more than walk across. The Wollecks confidently hopped up and down, turned cartwheels, and balanced sometimes three people high on a cable no thicker than a telephone wire. It made the space provided by the balance beam look generous.

Other things were going on in the periphery. Sven and Nils were on the narrow trampoline doing flips with so many turns and twists it made Brin dizzy just watching it. Christian was on his bike, riding it up a ramp, and turning lazy backward and forward rolls. It always amazed Brin how he had turned what was basically a kids' sport into a circus act. He finished giving Kurt a break and they returned to the project they were working on together.

Christian wanted to bring more gymnastic type moves into the show and so he was trying to do things like throw himself forward over the handle bars so his legs came up and the back of the bike lifted off the ground. Then he would land on his feet, bring the bike over his head back to the ground and jump back on it. It was basically a forward somersault with a bicycle, the ultimate goal being to skip the step of putting his feet down. Kurt was trying to spot him while he got the hang of it and was having a difficult time dealing with the fact that more often than not Christian lost control of the bike in the air and it fell on one or the other and sometimes both of them.

Christian didn't seem to mind it. He was probably so used to crashes he hardly noticed it, but Kurt clearly wasn't enjoying himself. As Christian started forward over the handlebars Kurt would put his hands on Christian's back and legs to guide his body through the arc until he was back on the bike. When it worked it looked great, but when it didn't Kurt couldn't seem to decide whether to let go of Christian and run for cover or risk another pummeling by the bike while he stayed to make sure that Christian got back on the ground safely.

Christian finally called it a day and Kurt looked visibly relieved.

"Thanks," Christian said, "but stop worrying about me running over your tail. I won't. You were acting like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs."

"My tail was the least of my worries." Kurt said.

"Well, we can work on it again tomorrow." Christian said.

"I can hardly wait." Kurt said balefully. Brin couldn't help stifling a giggle. Laughing, Christian peddled toward the ramp, made a final back flip and rode out of the tent.

Brin was distracted by the Wollecks who were now practicing their dismounts. Laurentiu and his brother climbed down from the tight wire platform and caught the rest of their family as they came down from the wires in various ways. They needed to provide filler while above them their tight wires were reeled in to make room for other acts.

They were decent acrobats on the ground as well as on the wire so she helped them move through a coordinated series of tricks that allowed more than enough time to take care of the wires. The end of the routine was their bows. They ran through it several times and by the time they were ready for a break, Brin noticed that Kurt had laid out a bunch of mats and was now working with Amiri Black while Amiri's father watched.

They started out with simple tumbling, forward and backward rolls and cartwheels. After a few passes they switched to more complex front and back handsprings; Kurt spotting Amiri in much the same way he did for Christian. They played around some more doing combinations of various balancing and tumbling tricks. Brin was amazed at how trusting Amiri was. Even when he was trying something new, he did so with the confidence gained by the fact that he knew Kurt would always catch him. It made Brin wish she could do the same thing, but Kurt didn't need a spotter for any of her choreography and so once again she had reached a dead end.

Brin was happy with the opening of the show. She was pretty happy the most of the interim choreography she had done to get the performers from point to point in the ring. The only thing that wasn't working for her was the finale.

Like the arrival of the gypsies on stage, the finale also had the entire circus in the ring, but whereas the opening was supposed to be chaotic, the ending had to tie all the key story threads together. Besides the work of choreographing the movement of the entire cast, she needed to figure out a way to get the leads off stage so they could come back out as couples dressed and ready for the wedding that ended the show.

The beginning worked well enough. Nightcrawler was supposed to have been killed by Lars and is lying in the middle of the floor alone. Petra then floats down from above sitting in a loop of the same fabric she used for her silks act. As she descends, she switches so that her legs are hooked in the fabric and she's upside down. When she reaches Kurt, she kisses him the cheek, takes his hands and when she rises back up, he wakes and rises with her until she lifts him off the ground.

They are lowered back to the ground where Petra detaches the silk from the cable. Then she and Kurt dance together and are slowly joined by the others including Lars and Gretchen who watch the two lovers and realize that they feel the same way about each other. It was easy to fade Gretchen and Lars back into the crowd, but that wouldn't work with Kurt. So they solved the problem by having them go back up into the ceiling to change costumes; this time with Kurt holding on a loop at the end of the cable with one hand and supporting Petra's body as she wrapped herself around him.

The only problem was that Petra wasn't quite getting it. She understood the steps and moved through them gracefully but her problem was tempo. She was either too fast or too slow. Brin had them practice it over and over as she clapped a tempo for them, but it wasn't working. She then tried to dance in Kurt's place, but it proved too complicated for her to dance, count time, and give Petra timing cues. Petra always learned routines best by watching and it occurred to Brin that perhaps the best way was to take her place and demonstrate with Kurt instead. She looked up at the cable and suddenly Wolfgang's words echoed in her head.

She thought about the other day, watching Kurt act as Amiri's spotter and realized that it wasn't that she needed to play the same role, it was that she had to allow him to do it with her. She had to put him in the position where he was protecting her in the same way he'd done for Amiri; to show that she trusted him to do so.

"Kurt, if I did the routine with you instead, do you think it would be safe?" She asked.

Kurt looked confused. "Yeah, pretty safe." He said.

Lars laughed and said, "he hasn't bitten anyone in weeks." Kurt made an angry face at him.

Brin was undeterred. "I mean to do the entire routine, including the end." She clarified.

"Oh, you mean to go all the way to up. Of course. I won't drop you." Kurt said.

"Okay." Said Brin, "Starting at the point when Petra is on the ground."

Kurt signaled to the roustabout on the cable controller to go a little slower this time and then he moved so he was in the center of the ring. Brin joined him and she realized that she had never stood this close to Kurt. She also realized that she had never touched him either and now she would have to. There was an awkward moment where neither of them did anything, then Kurt took her hand in his. Brin rested her other hand on his bare shoulder and gasped.

"You're furry." She said. She had never felt anything so soft. She had had no idea.

"Oh, please don't say 'furry'." Kurt said, "It sounds so creepy." He smiled. "I prefer it to say I'm 'velvety'."

Brin laughed. "Okay, velvety then." She said and cued the music to start. A moment later the novelty of actually dancing with Kurt was gone as they moved through the routine while Petra watched.

When they reached the cable Kurt wrapped his hand through the loop as he spun her away from him and back in again. As Brin twirled back into his arms they were suddenly lifted off the ground, her momentum causing them both to spin in the air. It would have been frightening, but at the same time Kurt had wrapped his free arm around her and hooked his legs around hers in such a way that she knew he was right; he wouldn't drop her. They passed up through the hole in the false ceiling and Kurt swung away to the floor and set her down.

"How was that?" He asked.

"Excellent," said Brin. She looked down through the hole. "How do we get down?" She asked. They were supposed to switch out the loop for a small platform big enough for them to stand on, but the equipment wasn't up there.

"The same way we come up." He said. He took the loop in his hand again and gestured for her to join him. She felt herself once again wrapped in his arms and they descended to the ring below. She stepped away from Kurt and thanked him.

"We'll have to do it again sometime." Kurt said.

"All you have to do is ask." Brin said.

As Kurt and Petra began rehearsing together again, Brin glanced up into the stands where she noticed for the first time that Wolfgang was watching. She smiled at him and he grinned back at her, clapping his hands in a silent one man standing ovation.
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Again, that is a masterpeice, I would call yoiu now, but I am at home and I don't know if my mom would kill me for calling. If you are in the hospital still tomorrow I will try to call you on a pay phone at school. I can't giarrantee a phone call, I am rather short on money, but I do hope you feel better soon*huggles*:kiss Heres to your getting better:beer

how much do you think a phone call would be from Central California to there?:?
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

Thanks for the get well wishes guys. They are really apprieicated. NWKurt called last night and it was really nice to hear from a member of this board. Thanks so much! You don't know how much that means t me.

I will try to post more of my story later, but rightnow I can't keep my eyes opened. I've fallen asleep on the keyboard 5 times just writting this. (damn, I did it again,U

Thanks again for all the well wishes.
-e
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

I'm sorry, I called right when I got to school becuase there is a definate time differance from CA to there, couple hours ahead of me, but the phone was busy, and I tried again at 12:10 but the phone was busy then also. A couple of my friends who visit Nightscrawlers but are not members asked me to wish you well, and feel 120%:)

OOh! just one more thing...This is movieverse right? And if it is, then why does Kurt have fur, I don't remember whether or not he had any earlier in the story cause I can't remember and I'm too lazy to look, thought I aught to point that out.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

It's the thought that counts Curly. I really appreciate you trying.

Sorry about the phone being so busy, but recently my mother's drug use has been spiralling out of control and my father went to pieces along with her - leaving me with the the task of finding a long term detox facility. So I was on the phone a lot today.

Lucky for me, her therapist read both my parents the riot act about having their daughter in the in the hospital taking on what was their responsibility. Now they're back on the case. I've got my own stuff to deal with.

*sigh* Not a good day at all.

I'm slowly plugging away at the story - I might have something to post tonight. So until then - Auf Wiedersehen!

Thanks. You guys rock.
-e

Oh, and I never answered your furry question. Sheesh.
In the movie it is hard to tell what Nightcralwers skin is like. his face doen't hava natural sheen to it. My other reason for giving him fur was from Chris Claremonts' novelization describes his skin like "soft velvet" when Storm touches him.
NWKurt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by NWKurt »

.... NWKurt called last night and it was really nice to hear from a member of this board.
Hehehe, awww, it was nuthin. Ya saved me the torture of the commute nightmare I endure every day. So nice, so the thanks goes back to you for providing a bit of fun on this end :D

So you take it easy and GET SOME SLEEP!

NWK
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

I second that! I hope your mom and dad do better too.

About the skin thing, Ok I just wasn't quite sure:Djust trying to clarify my estranged thoughts.

I like the Novelization, but not the fact that they said he had a forked tail when it is spaded
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

The Scenic Route

Post by Saint Kurt »

Heres another chapter in the Saga of Kurt Wagner. And now must sleep. (preferrably not on the keyboard.)

"Do you think its possible to remember things you shouldnt be able to remember?"

"Kraftwerk? Mannheim Steamroller? That’s as good as Germany has to offer? It’s pathetic.” James said.

"Oh, come on. Germany has plenty of good rock influences.” Wolfgang said. "How about the eighties?”

James laughed. "Please! We’re talking about Nena? Falco? Rock me Amadeus? 99 Luftbalons? I’m sorry, Germany just doesn’t exist on the musical map.”

"What about the Scorpions then? They had some powerful rock ballads.”

"I guess, but hardly groundbreaking.”

"Rammstein." Wolfgang announced.

"All right, Ill give you Rammstein." James conceded, "But thats it. Everything else is worthless."

"Well then,” Wolfgang said philosophically, "Have you completely forgotten about the German Industrial movement? The one that practically gave birth to techno?”

"What are you talking about?”

"Einsturzende Neubauten.” Wolfgang said.

"Bless you!”

Wolfgang smirked. "Ha ha. Laibach, Die Warzau, shall I name some more?”

"Yeah, but does anyone actually listen to German industrial? I mean besides Germans?” James asked. "I’m sorry but your Fatherland is totally lacking in musical influence. Face it.”

"Okay, but I’m Austrian.” Wolfgang said.

"Oh, even better. I challenge you to name one major Austrian musical influence.” James said.

"Just one? Any musical influence?" Wolfgang asked obviously eager to accept the challenge.

"Thats right. Any." James said and looking very confident took a sip from the bottle of water he was holding.

"Mozart.”

The water sprayed out of James nose as he started laughing. How had he forgotten about Mozart? Besides being one of the most influential composers in history he and Wolfgang had the same name. "Okay,” he admitted, "I challenge you to name another Austrian musical influence besides Mozart.”

"Haydn and Mahler.”

James slapped his forehead. "Brin can you help me out here? I’m getting trounced by Wolfgang’s command of European musical knowledge.”

Brin looked up from the card game she was playing with Amanda and Maria, "Sorry, honey. It sounds to me like you werent paying attention in music history class. Perhaps if you were arguing about European modern dance I could be of more assistance.”

James laughed. "That’s right Mozart,” he said turning back to Wolfgang, "I challenge you to name one influential Austrian modern dancer.”

There were six of them packed into Margalis trailer on their way to Hamburg. Even though she had chosen to stay behind, hers was the largest (compensation she figured, from having the smallest most rickety van previously) and so she donated it to the cause.

Wolfgang and James were in the two front captains chairs, Wolfgang in his favorite position as driver. As always they were entertaining themselves with another long debate about an irrelevant topic. Brin was at the fold out table with Amanda and Maria. The two of them were teaching Amanda how to play various American card games. This left Kurt alone and so he sat up in his bunk saying the rosary, but he found his mind wandering away from prayer to other subjects.

With the arrival of Maria he had seen the mighty triumvirate of comedians that was him, Wolfgang, and Lars breaking. Lars had joined them last year, but now that he and Gretchen were dating, he had chosen to spend Christmas with her family instead. Whereas he and Wolfgang usually spent their evenings watching movies and generally goofing off, it was more common to see him with Maria now. It seemed to him that they had reached a turning point, one where he would watch his friends form relationships while he remained alone.

It made him wish that all six of them were couples, Wolfgang with Maria, James with Brin, and he with Amanda. But that was a little strange wasnt it? Even though technically she wasnt his sister, wasnt it still wrong to imagine the two of them in a relationship other than siblings. Then again, Amanda was probably the only girl in the world who really knew him, who knew that he wasnt a monster, that he was just a person. That he was just like everyone else. Didnt he deserve that? Didnt he deserve Amandas love and to love her in return?

They swapped drivers and slept in shifts so they could drive straight through to Hamburg without having to stop for the night. Kurt was the only one without a driving permit. Wolfgang had arranged his passport, once again using his family contacts to smooth over the process. After the office had closed for the night, a friend of Wolfgangs mother stayed behind, took Kurts picture, and they filled out the necessary paperwork. Wolfgang arranged to pick it up the next time they passed through Germany.

So while Kurt had managed to get a passport with his real picture and name on it, the licensing office seemed to be the one branch of the government where Wolfgang lacked any kind of influence. So if Kurt wanted a permit to drive, he would have to go in and take the exam like everyone else. Since he wasnt to eager to see what kind of scene that would create, Kurt left the driving to other members of the circus.

It was Brins turn to drive and James was sitting besides her to keep her company. Everyone else sat lounging around the main compartment. They were bored of card games so they sat around gossiping about various other members of the circus. The conversation eventually shifted to Kurts family.

"Im just disappointed Stephani isnt going to be there." Kurt said. They had all become accustomed to speaking only English when James and Brin were around; it was easier than translating everything. The side effect was that English, always his weakest language was getting much better. "Last year we do to meet up with him on the train." Kurt continued. "It was really great."

"I remember," Wolfgang said. "That was fun."

"How often do you guys get to see each other?" Maria asked.

"Hardly at all," said Amanda.

"I kind of miss when he lived with us." Kurt said. "But he said circus life wasnt for him."

"I cant even imagine anyone thinking that." Said Wolfgang. "You guys are more fun than a barrel of monkeys on crack."

"What?" Kurt, Amanda, and Maria asked in unison.

"I think thats supposed to be a compliment." Said James from the front seat.

"Oh. Well thank you," Kurt said. "And youre more fun than a container of snakes and a cattle prod."

The conversation quickly degenerated into a series of "youre more fun than…" jokes that degenerated even further into attempts to invent insults that sounded more funny than insulting. The normally reserved Brin was the best at this and came up with "Youre nothing but a two count no talent ass clown" as an insult for Wolfgang. He was speechless with laughter for nearly five minutes.

Wolfgang returned to the drivers seat as they crossed the French Alps into Germany.

"Should we stop by Gehlhaars place?" Wolfgang asked in mock seriousness as he confidently navigated the passes. "Were in Barvaria."

Amanda gave a snort of laughter. "How about not." She said, imitating Christian.

Wolfgang pulled off the main road and started down one much less traveled that seemed to lead deeper and deeper into the mountains.

"What are you doing?" Maria asked.

"This is a short cut." Wolfgang said. "Dont worry. It looks a lot faster on the map."

"Wolfgang said short cut." James said. "Im already worried."

Cheerfully ignoring their skepticism, Wolfgang continued down the much narrower road.

It was certainly the scenic route. This area of Bavaria was much less populated than it was on their usual route. Occasionally the road would widen and there would be a small town or village nestled in the mountains, but it was mostly scenery. Brin pulled out her 35mm camera so she could take pictures as they went.

They were passing through what must have been a little town at one point when Kurt suddenly jumped up and yelled, "Stop!"

Wolfgang slammed on the breaks in alarm. He didnt have time to say anything before Kurt jumped out of the trailer. Amanda followed him quickly. Curious everybody else pulled on their coats and got out as well.

It had once been a street with neat rows of tiny cabins on either side. They were abandoned now, their windows mostly broken, their shutters hanging at crazy angles. Most of them had their doors opened giving a view of the deteriorating interiors.

"This is weird. Why did we stop?" James asked as he peered into one of the houses. Brin shrugged and since she was taking pictures anyway, she crossed the street to get some of the derelict cabins. They were real Bavarian style houses, like what one could find at various tourist attractions in the US, but here they hadnt been for tourists. Real people had lived in them. Brin turned around to take a picture of the group. Kurt was really fascinated by old architecture, so it didnt surprise her that hed want to stop and look at this tiny ghost town.

But instead of the houses, Kurt was looking at an empty lot sitting between two of the cabins. She walked back to see what was going on.

Kurt wandered into the middle of the empty space and looked around. Amanda followed him and put her hand on his shoulder.

"Do you think its possible to remember things you shouldnt be able to remember?" He asked her.

"I dont know." Said Amanda, watching a single tear slide down his cheek.

Kurt nodded and brushed his hand across his face. "We should go then. I dont know why we stopped." He climbed in the trailer. James and Brin quickly joined him. Wolfgang noticed Amanda still standing in the vacant lot, her hand over her mouth.

"Whats going on?" He asked her as he walked over.

"There used to be a house here, but it was burned down." Amanda said, trying to keep her bottom lip from quivering.

"Really? How do you know?" Wolfgang asked her.

"Because Ive been here. Only once, when Kurt was born. It was in the house that stood here." She said. It was one of her earliest memories, just a few images really. A woman in the road. Her mother pulled from a burning cabin clutching a pile of rags. Seeing her youngest brother for the first time as they drove away.

"How do you know it burned down?" Wolfgang asked.

"Because I saw the people who set the fire." She said.

"You mean after your mother took Kurt away?"

Amanda shook her head. "No," she said. "He was still inside." She took one last look around. "I dont know how he could have remembered. We should go." She said and started walking back toward their trailer.

Wolfgang didnt need to be told twice. He wanted to get as far from this place as possible.
NWKurt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by NWKurt »

Ooo, ooo, ooo! The plot thickens! Hmmm, its, 11:44pm, time for bed, good chapter to read before drifting off to sleep. Good plot line for my dreams to pick up on:D

And yes, my best wishes for you and your family Zam, my thoughts are with you.;)

NWK
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

GGAAAAHHH! *holds head to stop throbbing* That Cliffhanger is giving me such a head rush Zam.