"First Class" movie

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

"First Class" movie

Post by Nandireya »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:I also hated Sweeney Todd. I find Burton to be one of Hollywood's most overrated.
And I thought I was the only one who hated that movie...despite its 'pedigree'...I've enjoyed or been amused by every other Burton/Depp collaboration...

I haven't paid any attention whatsoever to this film, but I saw the trailer with Thor a couple of weeks ago (a guy sitting behind me seemed very excited)...when I saw the red Nightcrawler-like character I was 'WTF!?' Then I was 'Great! Their bringing Azzy into movie continuity!' Then I was...'Hmmm...maybe we'll see a cute little itty, bitty baby Nightcrawler by the end...or in the sequel...' Or...maybe...given that characters who have appeared younger in previous movies set in the future appear here in the past maybe it'll be some kind of reboot (reboots seem to be the in thing) and we'll see a reboot of Nightcrawler with all his personality traits intact...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

"First Class" movie

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Well, it is technically a reboot.

And unfortunately, it makes no sense. I don't know if I brought this point up yet. Not sure how Emma Frost can be 15 in 1986 when Origins: Wolverine ended and then be 24-26 in 1964 in the new X-Men First Class. I'm looking forward to see themselves explain away that one.

Also :azazel is apparently in the Hellfire Club. I don't know if that's meant to be ironic or the guys who wrote the script are just stupid.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

"First Class" movie

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

According to Jason Flemying (actor portraying Azazel), There is no romance between Azzy and Mystique in this one, but he says it leaves room to do it if and when they decide to sequel it up. Hoping hard to see a baby Nightcrawler that isn't 100% CGI
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

"First Class" movie

Post by Nandireya »

The movie doesn't look too bad...but I still don't know if I'll see it...3D movies cost $20 here now (it is 3D isn't it?) so I have to REALLY want to see a movie before I'll go and see it.

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

KayJay
Lubber
Lubber

"First Class" movie

Post by KayJay »

BUMP!

Saw this movie yesterday, and loved it. If viewed as a totally separate entity from the canon storylines, it's very cleverly done, well-casted (LOVED Nick Hoult as Beast), and with an interesting storyline. Really enjoyed watching it :)
Image Image Image
Awards
"I Remember it Like it was Yesterday..." Award - July 2011
"American Pie" Award - July 2011
"Jush a Little Tipshy" Award - July 2011
Blob55
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

"First Class" movie

Post by Blob55 »

Just wondering, but were any depowered/dead mutants in the X-Men in this movie?
KayJay
Lubber
Lubber

"First Class" movie

Post by KayJay »

Nope :)
Image Image Image
Awards
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

"First Class" movie

Post by Nandireya »

I hear they Americanized more international characters :yell

That aside, I've heard very good things about it.

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"First Class" movie

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

For the sake of those who have not seen the movie, let's remember that if you have seen it and plan on discussing it try to give a little warning about spoilers.

I like to do the old fashioned

SPOILER ALERT

That seems to usually be effective. Granted, during the time of release checking a thread about the movie is sort of a bad idea but sometimes some one might be looking for an opinion on the movie or be reading through the posts, and then something comes up about the ending and there goes a spoiler, y'know?
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
KayJay
Lubber
Lubber

"First Class" movie

Post by KayJay »

MAGNETO IS ACTUALLY A WOMAN.
XAVIER DIES.
IT WAS STRYKER ALL ALONG.
NIGHTCRAWLER GOT SUNBURN.

Oh, sorry. *tags for spoilers* :P

No, srsly guys... Go see this movie, and see it with all canon history out of your head. As a stand-alone totally separate from the existing canon, it's great.
Image Image Image
Awards
Chaos
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Mr. President
Nightscrawlearth Character: :venom :spidey etc.

"First Class" movie

Post by Chaos »

Let's face it, for all the criticism we ALL have about this movie, it's STILL better than Spider-Man 3.
"I've met dozens like you. Skipped off home early, minor graft jobs here and there. Spent some time in lock-up too, I'll warrant; but less than you claim. And now you're, what, a petty theif with delusions of standing? Sad little king of a sad little hill..." - River Tam, 'Firefly'

Achievements: ImageImageImage
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"First Class" movie

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

But is it better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine?
KayJay
Lubber
Lubber

"First Class" movie

Post by KayJay »

IMO, a lot better. All depends on your opinions though, I guess!
Image Image Image
Awards
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

"First Class" movie

Post by steyn »

was there an extra tidbit clip after the credits?
KayJay
Lubber
Lubber

"First Class" movie

Post by KayJay »

Alas, there was not, so don't bother staying after the credits have rolled if you don't want to.
Image Image Image
Awards
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

"First Class" movie

Post by steyn »

Thanks for the warning, 10 minutes of my life has just been saved.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

"First Class" movie

Post by Garble »

I really liked it.

It gave some good backstorying for Characters from previous movies while also including some new guys as well as characters that relate to characters from previous movies. (Azazel's teleporting resembling Nightcrawler's, and Havoc's powers looking alot like Cyclops's)

Seeing Azazel in action made me wish Nightcrawler had more screentime in other movies.

I didn't notice anything that *directly* contradicts continuity from previous X-Films. (Apart from possibly some age relation issues) And I like the way they tied things together.

SPOILER ALERT

I especially liked how you could infer that Beat's blueness was related to Mystique's. So that with Nightcrawler's obvious connection, all these blue mutants aren't just a coincidence.

[Edited on 5-6-2011 by Garble]
KayJay
Lubber
Lubber

"First Class" movie

Post by KayJay »

Mmm, the power ties were good. I didn't actually connect Havok's discs to Cyke's beams until you just mentioned it, though! Doh!

Direct contradition: Emma Frost's age (Between Origins and First Class0)

[Edited on 5/6/11 by KayJay]
Image Image Image
Awards
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

"First Class" movie

Post by Nandireya »

Maybe First Class Emma is Wolverine diamond-girl's (I don't recall her being referred to by name) mother? Or else...Wanda did it!
=33706838&tid=11253&author=KayJay]IMO, a lot better. All depends on your opinions though, I guess!
A film reviewer here said Wolverine was just an excuse for Hugh Jackman to take his shirt off and go 'grrr!' for two hours. I don't think he liked it. He liked First Class though. I'll go see it when I get my next instant day off...if I get one before it's out of cinemas...unless it's still showing when my annual leave comes up...in four weeks...

KayJay
Lubber
Lubber

"First Class" movie

Post by KayJay »

"Wanda did it" will have to be the explaination! XD

Possible Spoilers ahead

There were a few contraditions caused because of the Origins movie (such as seeing old!Xavier walking, implying he was crippled later in life, and not as a young man, as well as Emma Frost's age), but from what I've read in interviews, First Class is not meant to coincide with the events of Origins, and is essentially a seperate storyline entirely in it's own right. Considering how many people with disappointed in Origins, I can't say I'm too bothered about that!
Image Image Image
Awards
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

"First Class" movie

Post by Nandireya »

I got an instant day off today so I went to see it...finally learned how to pronounce :azazel's name. It was quite awesome. A but gruesome in parts...like the stuff with the coin...but overall nicely done.

Maybe Bryan Singer decided to just ignore the movies he wasn't so involved with? It pretty much fit the continuity of the first two movies.

[Edited on 8-6-2011 by Nandireya]

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"First Class" movie

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I would have to say the movie was a lot better than I thought it would be

SPOILERS?

I'd say my biggest beefs with the movie are 3 things.
1) Emma's plot hole with how/why they (The CIA) contained her. She clearly could break out, why didn't she? Someone said she was waiting. If she was waiting why did she get defensive and diamond-y when Erik showed up?

2) Beast's initial make up looked AWFUL. Thank the stars when he got in the jet it looked better, but I'm pretty sure (like 99%) sure that he is heavily CGI'd once he's inside the Jet. If you know you can do it better with a computer, don't be afraid to do that.

3) The flying was atrocious. It reminded me of a Broadway show that uses strings. It was just .... lame. Banshee's costume was cool, his effect was cool, but his flying was corny as hell.

But you know what?

It was fun. It was good. I never thought I'd like :azazel but there I was, practically clapping fo rhim. He uses SWORDS! SWORDS, MAN! Why Couldn't Kurt use swords? :(

Either way, it's a decent enough film. If it's a reboot (which I'm now hearing it is... not what they were saying 6 months ago) then it's a great start. If it's NOT a reboot, then it does a good job of being a prequel short of some minor tidbits that people can pretend/ignore if they're just general X-Fans/general fans of the films.

X-Men: First Class is as much an apology to the fans as it is a great film for the general audience. I'll be throwing up my review shortly.
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

"First Class" movie

Post by Karl »

I liked it very much, especially the moral/ethical question of how to relate to wrongs that have been done to you, as personified by Erik and Charles. The part where the two navies confronted each other actually showed the ambiguities involved in that same question, and how it isn't always black and white, but rather shades of gray. Both Erik and Charles had some great lines.
There was no hint at all that Mystique and Azazel might have been Kurt's parents, which is just as well, IMO. As for Azazel himself, we didn't learn much about him, other than that his fighting style is much like Kurt's during his attack on the White House, except that Azazel carries two vicious-looking swords with him and doesn't mind using them.
I didn't notice that bit about Xavier that didn't correspond to what happened in Wolverine: Origins, but I guess we can forgive them for such a slight glitch.
Did anyone else laugh out loud during Logan's cameo appearance?
BTW, I did like Origins and am looking forward to seeing the next installment.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

"First Class" movie

Post by Nandireya »

Wasn't the next origins supposed to be Magneto's...which this basically was?

[Edited on 10-6-2011 by Nandireya]

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"First Class" movie

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

No, there is a sequel to Wolverine Origins that is set to come out shortly which was originally being directed by Black Swan director Darren Aronofsky. He ended up backing out though due to too many projects & not enjoying how long he would be away from his family (which is a shame because he probably could have done something really interesting with it.)
"As I talked more about the film with my collaborators at Fox, it became clear that the production of The Wolverine would keep me out of the country for almost a year... I was not comfortable being away from my family for that length of time. I am sad that I won't be able to see the project through, as it is a terrific script and I was very much looking forward to working with my friend, Hugh Jackman, again".
article here.

The following are a list of directors chosen by Fox Studios, set to replace him.

Jose Padilha, Doug Liman, Antoine Fuqua, Mark Romanek, Justin Lin, Gavin O'Connor, James Mangold and Gary Shore. Article for that as well.

The movie is probably going to be set in Japan. Expect Silver Samurai.