Kurt's favorite books

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Nighton
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Kurt's favorite books

Post by Nighton »

One has of course got to be the bible. But apart from that, what kind of books does Kurt like? Myself, I think he likes Michael Ende's books like "Momo" or The neverending story".
The greatest X-team possible:
:) :wolvie :emma :gambit and :icey

Just so you know, some words in my posts are in Swedish.

"Yes." -Einstein, Aristoletes, Alan Cumming, David Prowse, Bruce Springsteen, Tori Amos and many more

I AM THE VIRUS SIGNITURE! PUT ME IN YOUR SIGNITURE BOX SO I MAY REPLICATE!
Tracker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Kurt's favorite books

Post by Tracker »

Then there's Herman Hesse's Siddartha and Asimov's I, Robot.
He'd probably also get a kick out of Dumas (The Three Musketeers, Count of Monte Cristo).
Sail away where no ball and chain
Can keep us from the roarin' waves
Together undivided, but forever we'll be free.
So sail away aboard our rig
The moon is full and so are we,
We're seven drunken pirates
We're the seven deadly sins.
~Flogging Molly

Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#40 :engarde
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

Kurt's favorite books

Post by Lauren »

I think he would like the Redwall series, all sorts of medivel-esque fights and such. and Wicked; the life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West
"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call." -Vash the Stampede

"No, you see I'm blind in my right eye now... So boring. You know what really makes me pissy? Grunge, Heroine chic, and dying are over. I so hate being behind the curve. Tourism's up." Brett(Alan Cumming) from Urbania
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Kurt's favorite books

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

You're all forgetting Captain Blood.
one name: Bruce Campbell
Tracker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Kurt's favorite books

Post by Tracker »

Originally posted by Lauren
...and Wicked; the life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Ooo! I just finished that one. I agree...the whole "are they really a good or bad guy" idea would probably interest Kurt.
~Flogging Molly

Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Kurt's favorite books

Post by Entropy »

Books by R. Sabatini (Captain Blood, Scaramouche, Fortune's Fool, The Sea Hawk, etc.), A. Dumas pere (Three Musketeers series, Count of Monte Cristo, the 40 guardsmen, etc.) most definetly (and i would suggest them to everyone else also, they are Wonderful!).

I suspect that he might like Tolkien, Ludlum (Bourne supremecy, etc), Ian Fleming (original Bond books), M. Rawn, T. Pratchet, and a multitude of others.

Ohh...and Edgar Rice Burroughs of course!
Dave, your creations brought joy to my life and inspired my imagination. R.I.P.

Insanity is all in the mind...
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

Kurt's favorite books

Post by Lauren »

Wicked was such a sick book! he would love it and probably make everyone else read it!

Then there's Stephen King's Dark Tower series! I think he would like it!
"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call." -Vash the Stampede

"No, you see I'm blind in my right eye now... So boring. You know what really makes me pissy? Grunge, Heroine chic, and dying are over. I so hate being behind the curve. Tourism's up." Brett(Alan Cumming) from Urbania
Bamf Bunny
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Kurt's favorite books

Post by Bamf Bunny »

From the X2 novelization:
The books were an unexpected mix. Religious works mainly, a well-thumbed Bible sharing space with a copy of Rafael Sabatini's Captain Blood and George MacDonald Fraser's classic pastiche, The Pyrates.
I don't see Kurt as much of a reader - in general the kids who were out climbing trees and doing cartwheels weren't the ones lying on the grass cultivating a lifelong love of books. And imagine trying to flip pages with those oversized fingers.

Since I can't resist the recommendation fun, though, I'd lend him my copy of The Man Who Was Thursday for its wonderful swordplay and the unexpected importance of the Archangel Gabriel to the plot.

You can read Captain Blood online for free - it's in the public domain.
Paulus aber sprach: Ich wünschte vor Gott, es fehle nun an viel oder an wenig, daß nicht allein du, sondern alle, die mich heute hören, solche würden, wie ich bin, ausgenommen diese Bande.
Tracker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Kurt's favorite books

Post by Tracker »

Originally posted by Bamf Bunny
- in general the kids who were out climbing trees and doing cartwheels weren't the ones lying on the grass cultivating a lifelong love of books.
That's true in a lot of cases....but during my student teaching, I'd see many of my students who were into dance, sports, etc. pull out a book when they had extra time, when they were on the bus, and during lunch.

I always saw Kurt as having the ability to go from the playful swashbuckler, to the careful deep-thinker. Also, the love of books sometimes comes when we're older.

Oh, and I just remembered the Sherlock Holmes series. Those are great stories...I'd think he'd like those too.
~Flogging Molly

fuzzydude.tk
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt's favorite books

Post by fuzzydude.tk »

I think he'd definitely enjoy the works of Terry Pratchett, although I wouldn't rule him out as occasionally reading literature from a 'few' years ago. I think he might read The Divine Comedy, by Dante, because of all the struggles for survival and inner demons, and things... Well, I liked it, anyway...o.o
fuzzydude.tk - Chicks Dig It
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Kurt's favorite books

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Originally posted by Bamf Bunny
I don't see Kurt as much of a reader - in general the kids who were out climbing trees and doing cartwheels weren't the ones lying on the grass cultivating a lifelong love of books.
Oh, I don't know about that Bunny. Kurt is a very intelligent man, with a wide knowledge base. It had to come from somewhere. In the comics, his room is almost always drawn with a fairly generous number of books. And as a kid, I was mostly outside on good days doing just those things. But on rainy days and in the evenings, you would likely find me sprawled on my bed with a book, so those two things can coexist.

I would imagine he would have some knowledge of the German classics like Goethe or Shiller. I also think he would like Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, or perhaps Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson, or Muntiny on the Bounty.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Teh Blu 1
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt's favorite books

Post by Teh Blu 1 »

'Treasure Island', duh! And yes, I do see him as quite a reader in his off time. I don't know so much about 'The Dark Tower', great series though it may be. He might dig the redemption aspect of it and the adventure, but I don't know if it would really be his thing. Then there are the religious ones, 'Paradise Lost', 'The Inferno', and 'The Divine Comedy'.
Chicks dig the fuzzy dude. ;)

Coalition for 'Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member# 38:engarde

All of a sudden I found my self in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do... Ding-a ding dang my dang-a long ling long.
fiendish_thingy
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt's favorite books

Post by fiendish_thingy »

Yeah, I would certainly agree with the notion of Kurt as both reader and adventuresome sort. I've always RPed him as quite the lover of books - as well as their film counterparts, of course. Sabatini and Dumas are natural associations with the Fuzzy One in my humble opinion as well as classics such as Dante, etc. And perhaps a bit of Hugo (a la 'Les Miserables'). Despite a sometimes frustrating tendency toward history lessons in his work, there are so many great elements that might interest Kurt. Honestly, I see him as a rather eclectic reader, though the emphasis would be on the classics. There are some instances when one desires a purely entertaining book, sure (and not that classics can't serve that purpose), but I have a difficult time picturing Fuzzy lounging with a Tom Clancy novel, somehow. ;) Ian Fleming, however... /definitely/.
:devil Handsome devil.
spinifex
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Kurt's favorite books

Post by spinifex »

I'd think that a Catholic Missal (a prayer book with the order of the Mass and the bible readings for each week) would have a prominent place on his shelf. Especially if he couldn't get to a Mass in person.

C-ko
"When are you people going to learn? It's not about right or wrong – it's a question of faith. It doesn't matter what you believe in – just that you believe. Your hearts are in the right place, but your brains gotta wake up!" -Dogma-
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Kurt's favorite books

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I think he'd read comics or funny books
fuzzybluelogic
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt's favorite books

Post by fuzzybluelogic »

This is me procrastinating on writing and posting to the RPs I'm in:

For his particular personality, here's my guess:

1. Terry Pratchett
2. The Princess Bride
3. Robin Hood
4. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
5. Neil Gaiman
6. Preacher (comic/graphic novel)
7. Morte D'Arthur
8. Dumas
9. Name of the Rose
10. The Hobbit (a hunch: He'd love the Hobbit, but get bored and not be able to finish LOTR)
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Kurt's favorite books

Post by HoodedMan »

I agree that he'd like Terry Pratchett and HHGTTG. :D
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Kurt's favorite books

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I see Kurt as a life long Judy Blume reader....

And I'm sure he's read and reread the whole entire Sweet Valley Twins series...
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Clarisa_heart
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt's favorite books

Post by Clarisa_heart »

I'm guessing he would read the Bible a lot, Duh, but maybe he's like books like The Great Gatsby, and some other classics like 1984 or something. :scratch:huh
Respect my authorita, cuz I'm Clarisa, BITCH!
fuzzydude
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt's favorite books

Post by fuzzydude »

Zorro almost for certain. I gotta say I agree with the "S. Morgenstern" books like Princess Bride. :engarde I think he was portrayed as having a love for swashbucklers, so I would say books like Dumas's stuff, Scaramouche, and Ivan Hoe
I reject your reality, and substitute my own

Adam Savage

Mythbusters
Jolinare
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt's favorite books

Post by Jolinare »

Originally posted by Tracker
Originally posted by Lauren
...and Wicked; the life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Ooo! I just finished that one. I agree...the whole "are they really a good or bad guy" idea would probably interest Kurt.
i bet he loves the musical too!

I bet he's into philosophy. I can see him reading stuff by Keith Ward and immanuel kant!
j