The Incredible Nightcrawler meets Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (A Complete Fractured Christmas Tale)

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Incredible Nightcrawler meets Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (A Complete Fractured Christmas Tale)

Post by Rowena »

Disclaimer: Sadly, I do not own any of these characters. Rudolph, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, and all the others were legends in their own right long before I got to them--before I was even born, actually. Wow. Please don't steal my story!

NOTE: This story takes place in an alternate reality all its own. Its basic setting is Evolutionverse, but Kurt is a teacher at the Institute instead of a student. I'm not sure why, it just came out that way.

And now, without further ado...On with the show!

The Incredible Nightcrawler meets Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

A Fractured Christmas Tale by Rowena

First Time Showing

Admission is Free!

Chapter 1

Jamie Madrox popped his brand-spanking new DVD into the player, then crawled under the warmly lit Christmas tree, feeling for the plug that would douse the small pinpricks of multi-colored light gracing its fragrant branches. With the glare now gone from the large television screen, Jamie hopped onto the over-stuffed couch, grabbed the remote control, and settled down to enjoy his movie.

Jamie, being one of the youngest of the students at Professor Xavier's Institute for Gifted Youngsters, practically never had control of the remote. Feeling its cool, plastic weight in his hand was sheer bliss. For once, he had the television all to himself and he was watching a movie he wanted to see. He only wished he had someone he could share it with, someone who wouldn't make fun of him for liking such an old, childish movie...

"Guten Abend, Jamie," a softly accented voice greeted from the doorway. Jamie adjusted his lounging position on the sofa just enough to see the newcomer--or rather, his glowing, yellow eyes. The fine, velvet-like midnight fur of the German-born Kurt Wagner tended to blend so well with shadows that he became functionally invisible in the dark.

"Oh, hi Mr. Wagner," Jamie grinned, sitting up and waving him in. "I was just about to watch my new DVD. Wanna see it with me?"

Kurt Wagner stepped into the room, looking around for signs of any other children. It was late, just past 10PM, but during vacation the recreation room was usually filled with kids arguing over which programs to watch on TV, playing board games, or just chatting. This night, however, it was completely empty except for thirteen-year-old Jamie.

"Where are all the other children, Jamie?" Kurt asked.

Jamie grunted. "Oh, they're a bunch of wusses. I showed them my new DVD and told them I just had to watch this movie tonight because it's my absolute favorite, and they all ran away screaming."

Kurt tilted his head as he took up his usual perch on the back of the sofa. "Is it a horror film, then?"

Jamie stared at him for a moment, incredulous. Then he burst out laughing. Kurt was, understandably, quite confused.

"What did I say?"

"Gee whiz, man! A horror movie!" Jamie considered for a moment. "Well, there is an Abominable Snowman. I gotta admit he scared me pretty bad when I was little. But even he's not a real bad guy, at least, not at the end."

Kurt nodded patiently with a small smile. "Jamie, perhaps it would be helpful if you were to tell me the title of this film, ja?"

"Oh, right, yeah! It's Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer! An all-time Christmas classic, no matter what all the other guys say!"

Kurt wrinkled his dark brow. "I have heard of the song by that name, but I was unaware that there was a film as well."

Jamie nearly fell off the sofa. "No way! There's a movie that you haven't heard of? Someone call Dr. McCoy, I think I'm having a heart-attack!"

Kurt chuckled, unconsciously raising a hand to cover his sharp teeth. "It does seem impossible, ja? But if you like it so much, it certainly cannot be bad. Shall I stay and watch it with you?"

Jamie beamed. "Oh, yeah, please?! I love this movie, but I've seen it so many times, you know? It'll be great to actually get to share it with somebody."

Kurt smiled fondly at the boy, then flicked his gaze to the television set. "Ach, the advertisements are over. I believe the film is about to begin."

Jamie suddenly looked uncomfortable. "Um, I gotta warn you, though, some of the songs in this are sort of, well, cheezy. But the story's really good even so, so don't give up on it, OK?"

Kurt chuckled again, the swaying of his long, prehensile tail emphasizing his amusement. "Jamie, do not worry so! I am here for the duration, and I promise I will not judge your film until I have experienced it in its entirety."

Jamie smiled. "Experienced? Cool, I like that. Oh, quiet now! It's starting!" Jamie sat back and turned his attention to the glowing screen. Kurt watched his enraptured young face for a reflective moment, then turned his focus to the screen as well. He was just in time to see a plump, animated snowman begin his tale of the misfit reindeer who saved Christmas.

Wolverine tossed and turned, kicking and twisting his rumpled sheets as he fought, unsuccessfully, to shove two large pillows into his hyper-sensitive ears. Some heartless fiend was watching some kind of sappy kid's flick in the recreation room two levels down. The volume was relatively low, but to Wolverine the simple, sugary Christmas tunes might as well have been blasting in from the next room. He shuddered as the sound of childish voices raised in song forced their way through the thick pillows to pummel his eardrums. It was an agonizing torture he should not have to put up with this late at night.

His dark eyes burning with barely contained frustration brought on by forced sleep deprivation, Wolverine ground his teeth, tore out of bed, and stormed down the hall. The burly Canadian fully intended to intimidate the youthful offender into abandoning his or her late-night activities and getting into bed where he or she belonged, even if it meant he had to physically carry the kid there himself.

To Be Continued...
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

I love it already!!!
I can so relate to Jamie. I love all those Christmas movies, though the songs are cheesey. The claymation type ones are best.
And I already love how Kurt will sit through the whole movie:)cuteness.

Jack Frost, and The Year without a Santa Claus(the one with the two brothers, sons of mother nature, that controll the weather)

I'm mister white christmas
I'm mister snow,

I'm mister Icicle,
I'm mister 40 below.

They call me snow Meiser,
Whatever I touch,
Turns to ice in my clutch.

I'm too much, too much.

I was wondering when you were going to grace us with a holiday special. You write the best ones.
one name: Bruce Campbell
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Yay! I love those old claymation holiday movies! The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus is my favorite, and I really like Jack Frost and how the people make "ice money" in the winter. And that mechanical horse is so cool even though the bad guy and his puppet thing is seriously creepy! The Little Drummer Boy is cool too, and of course Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer!!! :D

I'm really glad you like the story so far! I'll post the next part this weekend. If Kurt thinks he's just going to sit through the movie, he's in for a huge surprise! ;)

:bamf
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Mistress D
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Mistress D »

LOL! Wow, I'm so glad that I picked today to make one of my not-as-frequent-as-they-should-be checks on the board! :D
I'm such a sucker for old Christmas movies too. ^_^ And I always end up singing along with the songs... :blush
This is so funny and cute already, and I cant wait to see more!! :D
"I am Phil, Prince of Insufficient light! I darn you to Heck!!" :devil

"Quick, get the video camera! The Professor's sloshed and he's doing wheelies in the rose garden!"

"It's just a flesh wound!"

I AM THE VIRUS SIGNITURE. PUT ME INTO YOUR SIGNITURE BOX SO I MAY REPLICATE!
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by Mistress D
LOL! Wow, I'm so glad that I picked today to make one of my not-as-frequent-as-they-should-be checks on the board! :D
Ditto, Mistress D.
Originally posted by Mistress D
I'm such a sucker for old Christmas movies too. [...] I cant wait to see more!! :D
Old Christmas movies are excellent, especially the touching ones. Like that one, I think it's called It's A Wonderful World? Something like that. I've already seen it in a fanfic, but it's an excellent one to draw off of.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Do you mean It's a Wonderful Life with Jimmy Stuart? That's an incredible movie. There aren't too many films that have the emotional power to overcome their own cliche!
I always end up singing along with the songs...
:blush So do I! LOL!

Here's Chapter Two! Hope you enjoy it! And now I'm off to New York City for a day of exploration and Christmas shopping! Hooray! :D

Chapter Two

It was young Rudolph's first day at reindeer school. His concerned father had made him a special cap to hide his glowing, red nose so the other children wouldn't make fun of him. Unfortunately, this deception would not last long. Just as Rudolph began to settle in with his peers, even finding the courage to start a tentative conversation with a pretty young doe, the cap came off and his glowing nose was revealed to all and sundry.

Kurt couldn't repress an audible wince of sympathy as the unfortunate young reindeer was taunted and teased by his peers, particularly the blonde buck who had been so friendly only minutes before, back when he thought Rudolph was 'normal'.

Jamie looked up at him, his bright eyes reflecting his compassion for Rudolph's plight. "See," he said softly. "I told you this was a good movie."

Kurt nodded. "Yes. What I have seen so far is significant on many levels. In its own way, this film is dealing with the same complicated issues that affect mutants today. I wonder how many 'normal' people are watching this, opening their hearts and minds to our side of the so-called 'Mutant Problem'."

There was a soft grunt from the direction of the darkened doorway. Both Jamie and Nightcrawler gave a startled jump, then turned to face the newcomer.

"Not enough, bub," Wolverine responded, leaning casually against the wooden door frame. "Believe me, Elf, it'll take way more than some dumb kid's flick to get people to accept mutants."

Kurt lowered his head, regarding Wolverine through his impossibly long eyelashes. "Of course you are right, Herr Logan," he acknowledged. "But, the very fact that films like this exist gives me hope that understanding and acceptance is an achievable goal."

Wolverine rolled his dark eyes. "You're just deluding yourself if you think- -"

"Shhhhh!" Jamie hissed, an angry finger pressed to his lips. "I really like this song, so could you two keep it down, please?"

Wolverine raised an eyebrow, but he kept his mouth closed. Nightcrawler quickly found himself entranced by the hopeful lyrics of the sweet song the kind doe Rudolph had met earlier was now singing. "There's always tomorrow for dreams to come true, believe in your dreams come what may..."*

"I must admit, I like this Clarisse, " Nightcrawler smiled as the song came to an end. His expression softened and his luminescent eyes grew distant. "She reminds me of--" He caught himself, clamping his mouth shut before he said too much. Wolverine and Jamie regarded him curiously.

"Reminds you of what?" he pressed.

"Nothing," Nightcrawler said curtly, his normally open expression now closed tight against the pain of memory. "Just a girl I knew once...a long time ago, when I was still with the circus. It is not important."

Wolverine tilted his head, his flinty eyes narrowed, but he didn't press any further. Nightcrawler was entitled to his privacy if that's what he wanted. After all, Wolverine wasn't the only one allowed to have secrets. Jamie just shrugged and turned back to his movie.

Just then, there was a strange flicker from the TV screen. The trio initially passed it off as an effect of the snowstorm outside, but as the scene shifted to Santa's Workshop, where Hermie the Elf was striving to become a dentist despite adverse conditions, the annoying flicker only became more intense. Kurt was forced to shield his sensitive eyes while Jamie groaned and stood up, quickly crossing the space between the couch and the television with the intention of giving the set a good whack, even at the risk of duplicating himself.

What happened next caused even Logan to drop his jaw in shock. Some kind of strange portal unfolded from the flickering television screen, enfolding Jamie in its swirling vortex, swallowing him so quickly that the boy barely had time to make a sound.

"Was ist diese Zauberei?!"** Nightcrawler exclaimed, his golden eyes wide with terror, too startled to remember to speak in English.

"What the f--" Wolverine's shocked contribution was cut off as the portal continued to grow, rapidly stretching towards the sofa where Nightcrawler sat, seemingly frozen, his tail lashing in horrified agitation.

"Elf, move!" he roared, rushing towards his stunned companion.

"Nein! I can see him!" Nightcrawler responded, his luminescent gaze focused on some point beyond the expanding portal. "Fortunately, he has not duplicated himself. If I time this right, I might be able to teleport him out of there!"

"It's too late!" Wolverine grunted with furious frustration as he found his heavy, adamantium-laced body suddenly helpless against the irresistible force of the swirling vortex. "We're getting pulled inside!"

There was a blinding flash of pure, white light, then there was only silence. The recreation room was left empty and dark as sparks flew from the electrical outlet where the TV and DVD player were plugged in. Both appliances lost power at the same time. The only evidence of what had occurred was the sofa, which had fallen on its back when the portal enveloped Nightcrawler.

In a vast mansion filled with peaceful sleepers, only Professor Xavier's slumber was in any way disturbed by these strange events, and all he did was to mumble a few words in his sleep, then roll over.

*Music and Lyrics by Johnny Marks

**What is this sorcery?!

~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Mistress D
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Mistress D »

OMG! They got sucked into the TV!! XD Sounds strangely familiar... *cough*LotRMary-Sues*cough*

"Quick, get the video camera! The Professor's sloshed and he's doing wheelies in the rose garden!"

Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

*cough*LotRMary-Sues*cough*
:?

I haven't read any, but I think I know what you're talking about. Yeek!

The inspiration for getting them sucked into the TV actually came from an extraordinarily strange book I read once. I think it was called "The Christmas Tree That Ate My Mother" or something like that. There was a dark, warpy alternate dimension on the other side of this family's Christmas Tree and the mother got sucked into it. Then, the daughter had to go in to find her and rescue her before it was too late, reconciling their 'mother-daughter issues' in the process.

In any case, this story is entirely different--as you will soon find out! (At least I hope it is! :oops: ) Prepare for the Adventures of Schwartzwald Kurt! :D

~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

:o:o:o:o

So does this mean they're stuck in the movie?? If it does, I feel sorry for them all. As much as I love those movies, Frosty always scared the hell out of me:\

Woooooooooot!!! Can't wait for more!!! Have fun shopping in NYC!!!
happy holidays, poppeties!:D
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DoomInABox »

::smacks forehead::

Gah! I never even made the connection between Kurt and Rudolph when I started reading ... now it's smacking me in the face with a two-by-four.

Man, your stories always have such a weird twist ... you can never tell what's gonna happen! Keep it up! Me want to see more!

CurlyyHairGirl, what ish did that quote on your signature come from? And what IS a hush puppy anyway?

Oh no! Off topic! I've angered the forum gods! Sorry, Rowena!!!
"Picture this: bumpity bumpity bumpity SPLAT!"
-- Nightcrawler, X-Men Evolution

Visit my art sites, please!
http://www.kenthayle.deviantart.com
http://www.geocities.com/ironthorncomics
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by Rowena
Do you mean It's a Wonderful Life with Jimmy Stuart? That's an incredible movie.
Exactly. Thank you. :x
Kurt couldn't repress an audible wince of sympathy as the unfortunate young reindeer was taunted and teased by his peers, particularly the blonde buck who had been so friendly only minutes before, back when he thought Rudolph was 'normal'.
NICE analogy!
What happened next caused even Logan to drop his jaw in shock. Some kind of strange portal unfolded from the flickering television screen, enfolding Jamie in its swirling vortex, swallowing him so quickly that the boy barely had time to make a sound.
Well, I look forward to seeing how this develops. ;x
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by DoomInABox
CurlyyHairGirl, what ish did that quote on your signature come from? And what IS a hush puppy anyway?
I know I'm butting in but if I remember correctly, it's from X-Men Phoenix #32 (yes, I'm a quote collector. Shush. ;x)

And hush puppies are... are.. (those things...); bother, I can't come up with the English! They're like biscuits but with something like corn. And deep-fried. And when they are cold they are nasty.
InterNutter
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by InterNutter »

When I asked MeMum, she said they were "sort of like a pancake" [that's "flapjack" to you yanks] I know there's corn flour in there, and sometimes leftovers(!) Just something quick, easy, and dietarily nasty. I dunno about the deep-frying, but there *is* a lot of oil.

And, of course, you'd throw one in the general direction of the dog to hush that puppy ;)
The one and only InterNutter (as seen on FFN and NFN)
http://www.internutter.org
http://www.nutfiction.net <---Nutfiction.net! *THE* place to host fanfic [Now back online! Huzzah!]
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by InterNutter
When I asked MeMum, she said they were "sort of like a pancake" [that's "flapjack" to you yanks] I know there's corn flour in there, and sometimes leftovers(!) Just something quick, easy, and dietarily nasty. I dunno about the deep-frying, but there *is* a lot of oil.
Cornmeal. That's the word I was looking for! I don't know about it being like a pancake, though...
Originally posted by InterNutter
And, of course, you'd throw one in the general direction of the dog to hush that puppy ;)
rofl. You can do that when it's cold. ;x
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DoomInABox »

Wow, thanks guys ... that's more of an answer than I expected. I thought it was something like a perogie. Man was I wrong.

ANYWAY ... did not mean to totally derail this, so... about Rowena's story ... great, isn't it? Who wants to see more? :: raises hand ::

I love holiday fics ... holiday celebration is something everyone can relate to a lot easier than say ... getting your tail caught in a toaster or burping lightning or something.

Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Burping lightening? *chuckle* Now there's an interesting ability...

Hey, I don't mind (as long as the topic does work its way back to the story! ;) ) It's lively, and besides if people weren't reading the story, they wouldn't have seen your question! I think the InterNutter pretty much nailed it, but I looked up the recipie in a cookbook last night so I'll add what I found there to the gathered info.

Hushpuppies were originally tag ends of corn bread dough that were deep fat fried and tossed to dogs at mealtime to make sure they didn't bark or beg at the table. Nowadays, though, they're served to humans as a side dish for seafood--especially fried fish. They're made with old-fashioned stone-ground or water-ground white cornmeal (other kinds fall to pieces in the hot fat), sugar, baking soda, salt, minced yellow onion, egg, buttermilk, and water. This makes a thick, drop-biscuit-like dough that is scooped by rounded 1/2 tablespoons and plopped into the fat. So, basically hushpuppies are savory, deep-fried doughballs. There are probably a million and a half variations to this version of the recipie, but this is the one I found and the one my mom remembers from her time down South.

Thanks Curlyyhaired Girl! I had a great time in New York but the crowds were UNBELIEVABLE! My Dad grew up in Brooklyn and even he said he'd never seen crowds that bad in the city! It was shoulder to shoulder shuffling all the way! But despite that, the trip was still awesome! We saw the dinosaurs at the Natural History Museum!!!!!!! *swoon* And I got a lot of my Christmas shopping done too. :D

And no, they weren't sucked into the movie per se. Well...they were, sort of, but...ack, you'll see! I don't want to give too much away!

And now, back on track with Ch. 3 of Nightcrawler meets Rudolph! :D

Chapter 3

Jamie woke up with snow in his mouth and a ringing in his ears. Carefully pushing himself up onto his hands and knees, Jamie shivered violently in the biting winter cold, feeling completely confused and disoriented.

Where was he? How did he get here? And why couldn't he seem to remember anything more than his name?

"Do you mind?" a sulky voice came from behind him. "I'd kind of like to be alone, thank you very much."

Jamie rose to his feet and looked around, trying to locate the source of the voice that had interrupted his thoughts. A young reindeer faun was sitting slumped dejectedly against the narrow trunk of a small fir tree that had been hung with festive decorations of silver and gold. Jamie's eyes widened as he realized he recognized this reindeer from somewhere.

"Did you speak just now?" he asked the depressed deer.

The young buck looked up at him, his large, luminous eyes shiny with unshed tears. "Just leave me alone, OK," he said, his childish voice trembling slightly. "I'm a misfit and a reject and I don't want any company right now."

"I'm very sorry to hear that," said Jamie. An impression of a memory, jogged loose by the reindeer's words, was slowly working its way to the surface of his mind. "But, you see, I'm a misfit and a reject too."

The reindeer looked up at him surprised. "You look like a normal elf to me," he said. He tilted his head, fixing the boy with an appraising look. "Your ears are a little small, though."

Jamie looked down at himself, surprised to see that he was dressed in a strange blue outfit with a pink sash. The toes of his boots were slightly pointed. Something in the back of his mind told him this was wrong somehow, that he wasn't an elf and that these weren't his regular clothes, but it was a small voice, easily overpowered by his growing curiosity about the talking reindeer before him.

"Yeah, well, maybe, but I'm not normal," he said. "Not by a long shot. I've got this weird power, you see." He wasn't sure why, but he felt compelled to explain further. "Whenever I hit something or something hits me, or even if I happen to stomp my foot too hard, I somehow create duplicates of myself. It's really weird. If you ask me, it's the dumbest power I've ever heard of. I mean, what good is it, really?"

The reindeer rose gracefully to his feet, his head tilted in curiosity. "No, it's not dumb. That's really neat," he said, a small smile growing on his face. "I've never heard of an elf who could do that before!"

Jamie shrugged. "Yeah, well, that's why I'm an outcast."

Rudolph pawed the snow in a thoughtful manner, a mischievous glint glowing in his over-large eyes. "So," he said, lowering his head, "if I were to head-butt you right in the middle-"

Jamie saw where this was going and held out his hands defensively. "No!" he exclaimed. "Please, don't. It's such a strain...and each of the multiples kind of has a mind of his own. It's hard for me to control them."

Rudolph pondered this for a moment, then stood down. "OK," he said. "But I do want to see your power in action sometime."

"Yeah, well, I'm sure it'll happen soon enough. I'm probably the most accident-prone guy I know. I'm bound to trip or bang into something sooner or later."

Sighing deeply, Jamie shuffled his feet in the snow, trying to think of a way to shift the subject away from his mutation. "What about you?" he asked. "Why are you moping about out here in the snow?"

The young reindeer stared at him. "Can't you see?" he asked, incredulously. "It's as plain as the shiny red nose on my stupid face. No one wants to play with a red-nosed reindeer." He hung his head as he admitted, "Even my parents are ashamed of me."

Jamie looked at him with sympathetic eyes. "Hey, I can certainly relate to that," he said. When the reindeer looked back up at him, Jamie favored him with a friendly smile.

"My name's Jamie," he said, holding out his hand. The reindeer looked at it for a moment, then raised a hoof to touch his palm.

"Rudolph," he said. "Rudolph Donnerson."

"Pleased to meet you, Rudolph," Jamie beamed.

His memory was gone. Again. His entire mind was a blank--a vast, yawning expanse that gnawed achingly at his shredded psyche, taunting him with shadowy hints of people and places he once knew but could no longer recognize or even bring into focus. The vacant valleys of his mind echoed the cold, blank landscape that glinted at him in the sunlight, forcing him to squint against the harsh, frozen glare. Smooth, unmarked white snow covered the ground in all directions as far as the eye could see. The emptiness frightened him, maddened him, angered him beyond all reason.

The small scrap of conscience that remained to him tried to control these roiling emotions, tried to force him to think logically, to uncover the events that had led to his predicament. But this small voice was soon bowled over and trampled by a raging rush of instinct and fury as a faint scent reached his sensitive nostrils. He knew that scent. It was the scent of an animal, a young deer.

The nameless creature lowered himself into a feral crouch, all his senses on the alert. The barren landscape had unleashed a monster within him. And that monster was hungry.

"So, where are we going, anyway?" Jamie asked as he stepped carefully through the deep snow. Rudolph didn't look up.

"Don't care," he said bluntly. "Just so long as it's far away. I know when I'm not wanted." The young deer tried valiantly to hold back a sob, but failed. Jamie looked over to him with sympathetic eyes.

"The world's pretty big," he said in a comforting tone. "I'm sure there's a place out there where a couple of misfits like us would be welcome. All we have to do is keep on walking until we get there."

Rudolph looked up, his skeptical eyes tinged with a faint sparkle of hope. "You really think so?" he asked.

Jamie spoke with a deep confidence he didn't quite understand as the faint image of a kind man in a wheelchair flitted through his thoughts.

"I know so," he smiled.

Rudolph regarded him with his huge, bright eyes. "You know something, Jamie?" he said. "I believe you."

The scent was much stronger now. His future meal was moving towards him. The creature felt his mouth start to water as the young deer and its human companion turned a corner, obliviously walking straight into his path. The human boy was little more than a child. He certainly posed no threat or obstacle to the fierce, famished monster.

The nameless creature stalked forward, skillfully using the snowy hills as cover. If he timed this right, the pair would never know what hit them.

A light snow had begun to fall. Rudolph looked up at the darkening sky, an expression of foreboding growing on his face. He recognized the signs. They would likely be hit by a blizzard before nightfall if they didn't find shelter soon.

"Have you ever heard the legends of the Abominable Snowman?" he asked Jamie with a shiver.

Jamie's mind tingled with recognition, but try as he might he couldn't pull out the relevant memory. "I think so," he responded. "I don't remember, though. Why do you ask?"

Rudolph sighed. "A blizzard's headed this way. From the stories I've heard, it's during heavy snowstorms like this that the Abominable likes to attack. If we don't find shelter before dark, we'll be sitting ducks. Not only that, but with the snow covering our footprints--"

Jamie knew the rest. "--there'll be no way anyone will ever find us." He turned to face his friend. "But, isn't the Abominable Snowman just a myth? I somehow remember knowing he wasn't real."

Rudolph shivered again. "I hope you're right. But just in case, I think we should--"

The young deer was cut off by a feral roar that cut through the silent snow like the explosion of an arsenal filled with fresh gunpowder. The two friends were too startled to think, too terrified to move. A monster was leaping out at them, his muscular arms splayed out, his broad fists seemingly clutching several long, deadly knives. He was dressed only in animal skins and he was covered with coarse, black hair.

Rudolph didn't even have time to scream before the monster was on him, his weight crushing the reindeer's small, frail body into the deep snow. He caught a glimpse of the man's fist--just enough for his stunned mind to realize the man wasn't clutching knives at all. Rather, six long, metal claws somehow sprouted from between his knuckles. Rudolph lowered his head and squeezed his eyes shut, waiting for the deadly blow that would bring
all his troubles to a sudden and gruesomely permanent end.

Is this curtains for Rudolph? And what effect can this strange holiday dimension have had on Kurt?

Stay tuned! :D

~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Mistress D
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Mistress D »

Oh this is too awesome! :D It would be so funny if Logan accidentally slaughtered Rudolph. :LOL Write more soon!

HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

It should be very interesting to see Logan's primal side and how/if he gets helped by his two friends/Rudolph.

Keep up the good work, Rowena!
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DoomInABox »

YAY!

That's so cute, making Jamie an elf. I can't wait to see what Kurt's gonna be!

Hee hee ... I can't help picturing Logan with a Rudolph shish-kabob ... even tho I know that's not gonna happen.

Then again, this is a Rowena story ...

I'm tuned! Keep it coming, wondergirl!

Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Mahlzeit!

Willkommen, meinen Freunden, zum Kapitel Vier! I now have the great pleasure of introducing to you the indominable Schwarzwald Kurt, hero of the North Pole!

Spotlight on, cue the band, and here we go!

Chapter Four

His prey was cringing beneath him, its large eyes squeezed tightly shut against the inevitable blow that would sever its head from its scrawny body. The nameless creature allowed himself a brief second to savor the moment, to feel the trembling of his prey before landing the final slash. A broad grin spread across his rugged features, his flint-black eyes narrowed in savage anticipation. He brought his arm down, his claws extended, his blood near boiling with the thrill of the kill...

All at once, the creature's senses were blinded by a brilliant flash accompanied by a muffled BAMF of exploding air and the sudden, inexplicable reek of brimstone. A narrow, wiry weight was twining itself around his torso, then, BAMF! Just as suddenly and inexplicably, the creature found himself “somewhere else.” His prey and its young companion were nowhere to be seen. His senses were running wild with confused disorientation as the mysterious weight that had wrapped itself around his chest let him go, sending him spinning and completely off-balance into the snow.

Leaping to his feet with a furious yowl, the creature spun to face his attacker, extending his claws with a metallic SNIKT. To his shock, his claws were met with a flash of steel that seemingly came out of nowhere.

"If you are going to attack defenseless children," a deep, accented voice threatened, "you will find you must get through me first."

The creature's attacker was a tall, slender man wrapped from head to toe in warm, fur-lined clothing that, despite its bulk, somehow managed to accentuate his lean, powerful physique. All that was visible of the man's face were two eerily glowing yellow eyes, apparently floating in the black shadows of his hooded cloak. The creature felt an involuntary chill run through him when he saw the deadly intent gleaming in those golden eyes. The shocking sight was enough to allow him one single, brief moment of clarity before the unthinking rage overpowered his mind once again.

"I know you," he managed to grunt out, feeling himself rapidly losing the battle against his baser instincts.

"I am pleased to hear my reputation has preceded me," the mysterious figure responded with some humor in his voice, twisting his swords to force the creature's arms to his sides and taking up a simple defensive stance that was wrought with menace.

"Be warned, fiend," the cloaked man said, his accent lending a clipped edge to each of his words. "Any who attack the innocent and the defenseless unprovoked must answer to me. For I am Schwarzwald Kurt, and it is my sworn duty to protect those who cannot defend themselves from those who would persecute them."

"Grand speeches and noble causes ain't my line, bub," the nameless creature growled, rubbing his knuckles as he retracted his claws. "You separated me from my dinner. Sooner or later, you're gonna know first hand what it feels like to have your guts skewered on six inches of cold, hard adamantium."

To his surprise and growing anger, the cloaked man laughed, sticking one of his swords into the snow and leaning on the hilt with the non chalant air of one who is completely confident of his abilities. With a slightly foppish tip of his shadowed head and a mock salute with his remaining sword, Schwarzwald Kurt said, "Then we agree to disagree. I have no doubt as to your word, mein Herr. But before I leave and we begin this little game of asking ourselves who is the hunter and who is the prey, might I have the honor of my enemy's name?"

The nameless creature stiffened. Schwarzwald Kurt's question rattled in the gaping chasm of his memory, knocking loose several disassociated images. A strange lab that looked like something out of a bad science fiction movie... A young girl with a long, brown ponytail looking up at him with such trust in her eyes, so certain that he wouldn't hurt her despite his fearsome rage... A small, fierce predatory animal running through the snows of Canada, its bloodied fangs bared... A man's voice, cruel and smooth with just a hint of the South lingering at its edges "...Wolverine..."

The creature gasped and stepped back, growling fiercely when Schwarzwald Kurt moved forward. The strange man's scent and body language suggested that he was concerned. How dare he presume....!

"I am the Wolverine," the creature snarled, furious at himself for displaying such weakness in front of an enemy.

The cloaked man stopped his advance and nodded once.

"A fitting name," he observed. "Fare well, Herr Wolverine," he said, his formerly playful tone deadly serious once more. "We shall meet again."

Sheathing his swords with one fluid, well practiced movement, Schwarzwald Kurt vanished in a puff of blue-black smoke and a BAMF of imploding air. If it weren't for the lingering stench of sulfur and the memory of the man's accented voice ringing in his mind, the Wolverine would have been tempted to believe he had imagined the entire episode. As it was, the Wolverine's tattered mind was already working to find a suitable revenge to wreak on this Schwarzwald Kurt, once he tracked him down...

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

"Calm down!" Jamie cried, frantically struggling to still the panicking deer.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

"Take a breath, for goodness sakes!"

" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

"He'll hear you if you don't stop that screaming!"

"AAAAAAA--!" Rudolph broke off, taking a deep, ragged breath. His scrawny body was trembling so badly it looked as though he was standing on the lid of a kettle on the verge of boiling over. Tears streamed from his wide eyes as his frantic screams died down to violent sobs that racked his small frame. Never before had the young deer come so close to death. Never before had he felt such fear grip his soul. Jamie's desperate words of comfort did nothing to soothe him. It was doubtful he even heard them.

BAMF!

Jamie spun on his heel, nearly losing his balance in the deep snow and risking multiplication. He had heard that sound before, just before the horrific monster that had leapt from out of nowhere onto his friend had so inexplicably vanished. Terrified almost beyond the capacity for rational thought, Jamie forced his mind to work and his eyes to focus as he took in the dark, shadowy figure before him.

"Guten Tag, Kinder," the cloaked figure said in some strange foreign language Jamie didn't know. "I have come to help you. I have taken the man who attacked you far away. It should be several hours before he can find your scent again, but believe me, he will find it. When he does, it will not be good for your little reindeer friend."

Jamie narrowed his eyes, unwilling to trust such a dark, malevolent figure on words alone. "Who are you?" he asked, trying to keep his trembling voice strong and steady. "Why would you want to help us?"

The shadowy figure tilted his cloaked head forward in a curt nod of acknowledgment. "A fair question, mein Junge. I am called Schwarzwald Kurt. It is my sworn duty to protect those who are in trouble. And right now, mein Freund, you are in very deep trouble indeed."

"What do you mean?" Jamie squeaked, no longer able to keep up any pretense of false bravado.

"I mean that the Abominable Snowman is not a legend or a myth," the cloaked man said darkly, his yellow eyes glowing eerily from the depths of his shadowy hood. "A blizzard is on its way, and if you two do not make it to shelter before it hits, the Wolverine will be the least of your troubles."

An anguished, impassioned groan sounded from the snowbank. Jamie turned just in time to see Schwarzwald Kurt appear next to Rudolph, holding him back from ramming his head into the side of the icy mountain.

"Harming yourself at this moment would not be a wise course of action, mein Freund," the cloaked man berated gently. "You must be strong if you are to survive the night."

Rudolph groaned again, louder this time. "Why me?" he demanded. "Why does everything bad and rotten always have to happen to me? It's not bad enough that I have to live with this horrid, red schnozz glowing in my eyes every waking moment, oh no. I have to be ridiculed by all the other reindeer, pitied by Santa, attacked by a wild man with claws, and hunted by an Abominable Snowman in the middle of a blizzard. I ask you again, why me?"

Schwarzwald Kurt shrugged. "Why not you?"

Jamie blinked. Clearly, Schwarzwald Kurt was not one who approved of self- pity. Rudolph's responding groan was closer to a frustrated roar.

"Hey look," Jamie said, resting a comforting hand on the deer's narrow shoulder. "If it's any comfort, we're both in the same boat."

"Yeah," Rudolph snorted. "A boat full of holes." He sighed. "We're sunk."

"Please, Kinder, have some faith!" Schwarzwald Kurt protested. "I've told you I'm here to protect you. And protect you I shall."

He held out a mittened hand. "Do you accept my services?"

Jamie looked to Rudolph, who looked to Jamie, who looked back at Kurt.

"What do you look like under that hood?" Jamie asked, amazed at his boldness and terrified of how the strange man might respond to the blunt question.

To the shock of both youngsters, the cloaked man laughed. It was a warm, slightly bashful sound; the laugh of a man who was not too proud to laugh at himself. "Of course," he said. "If I want you to trust me, I must first offer a gesture of trust in you, is that right?"

Jamie and Rudolph looked at each other, then nodded.

The dark man sighed, appearing strangely nervous as he reached up with his mittened hands and pulled back his fur-lined hood.

Both Jamie and Rudolph gasped as one, their eyes wide with fear.

"Oh, come on," Schwarzwald Kurt said, sounding slightly hurt. "I'm not all that bad." He grinned, his sharp fangs flashing in his blue, fuzzy face. "I've been told by quite a few Frauleins that I'm actually rather cute--in a dashingly handsome, roguish kind of way."

The two boys just stared at him. Kurt sighed.

"Look, I was born this way, all right? I'm just a harmless, blue fuzzball really."

Jamie couldn't help it. He broke out laughing at the expression on Kurt's face. "I'm not so sure about the harmless part," he said. "What did you do to that Wolverine thing anyway?"

"Ach, that is my special power," Kurt explained, with a grin. "I am a teleporter. A very useful gift for getting out of tight spots in a hurry." He rubbed at his sharply pointed ears with a furry mitten. The tips, which poked through his short, wavy hair, were already at risk of frostbite. "Do you mind if I replace my hood now?" he asked. "There seems to be a slight chill in the air."

Rudolph shrugged, a strange-looking gesture for a reindeer. "Go ahead," he said. "Wouldn't want you turning any bluer."

Jamie shot him a disapproving glare. "That wasn't very nice," he scolded. "Don't you see? He's a misfit like us!"

Kurt blinked as he tied his hood securely in place. "I don't know about being a 'misfit', but I do know what it is like to be hated and feared for being different. That is why I have sworn to devote my life to protecting those who cannot defend themselves from those who would persecute them out of hatred and fear. Or, in the case of the two fiends we must worry about at the moment, out of hunger."

Rudolph shuddered. "Do you mean that wild man really wanted to eat me?" he asked softly.

Kurt nodded, his glowing eyes surprisingly gentle. Rudolph shuddered again and lowered his head. Jamie reached over and scratched him companionably between his stumpy antlers.

At that moment, a sudden, biting wind blew over them, bringing with it the first fat snowflakes of the approaching blizzard.

"We must get a move on," Schwarzwald Kurt said briskly. "I know of a safe place we can stay for the night, only a couple hours walk from here. I would teleport you, but I am afraid the strain would leave us too weak to prepare a decent fire. Follow me."

Jamie turned to Rudolph as Schwarzwald Kurt turned on his over-large fur- wrapped feet and headed off at a brisk pace.

"Well?" he asked the deer. "This whole running away thing was your idea. Do we follow him or what?"

Rudolph looked back at the large crater in the snow behind him, the only physical evidence of the wild man's ferocious attack aside from several throbbing bruises on Rudolph's legs and side.

"Yeah, we follow him," he said. "Hurry up! It's already getting hard to see him in all this snow!"

"Not that we really have to worry about that," Jamie laughed. "Not with your nose lighting our way!"

As the two children ran to catch up with their new guide, a white mound-- easily mistaken for one of the many snow-blanketed hills that defined the blank, white landscape--began to move. With a yawn and a sleepy blink, the living mound rose to its enormous, padded feet, shaking the clinging snow from its long, tangled, white fur.

...R..r..r..uu..uuu..mmm..mm..bbbb..bbb..llll.lllll..eeeeeee....

The creature looked down at its ample stomach with an almost comical expression of befuddlement. Resting a huge, dangerously clawed paw over the offending area, the sticky gears in its tiny brain slowly lurched into motion. A rumbly stomach must mean that he was hungry.

Looking around for any sign of food, the enormous creature's dull eyes were drawn to a tiny, moving dot, nearly invisible in the thickly falling snow. The dot was glowing with a faint, reddish light. Maybe, if he followed it, it would lead him to something crunchibly, munchably lunchable.

Six chapters to go!

Happy Hanukka (Chanukah)! :D
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

I love Kurt's new personality. It's both fitting and fantastic.
"Do you mind if I replace my hood now?" he asked. "There seems to be a slight chill in the air."

Rudolph shrugged, a strange-looking gesture for a reindeer. "Go ahead," he said. "Wouldn't want you turning any bluer."
*SMIRK*
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

*bounceybounceybouncey* *long high pitched squeel*

That was my friends reaction...she liked it...now for mine.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!
THAT IS THE CUTEST DANGED THING IN THE ENTIRE POSSIBLE UNIVERSE!!! AND IF ANYBODY SAYS OTHERWISE *drags finger across throat*:evil:eeevil

GASP! *glomp*

I love you Rowena!:kiss
Mistress D
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Mistress D »

I second Curlyy's reaction. :D Soooooo awesome!!
"Oh, come on," Schwarzwald Kurt said, sounding slightly hurt. "I'm not all that bad." He grinned, his sharp fangs flashing in his blue, fuzzy face. "I've been told by quite a few Frauleins that I'm actually rather cute--in a dashingly handsome, roguish kind of way."
LOL! :D

DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DoomInABox »

SEE?! SEE?! You never know what this woman's gonna do next!

I have no idea what I was expecting, but I am pleased nonetheless. This is one gawdanged entertaining story.

Kurt has swords. HEEEeeee ...

HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by DoomInABox
I have no idea what I was expecting, but I am pleased nonetheless. This is one gawdanged entertaining story.

Kurt has swords. HEEEeeee ...
I know what I expected, but this was DEFINITELY not this. And that's a good thing. I'm not very creative.

Swords. :D!