Nightcrawler #1 - #4 disscussion

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Nightcrawler Artist!

Post by Darick »

Originally posted by Blue_Demon94
What's Night Nurse?!:?
http://www.netwrx1.com/CherryAmes/nightnurse.html

( I guess some people just can't figure out how to "Google" )
;)
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Tatu »

Or they dont know how to click a link...

BD, Darkholmes "The truth about Christine revealed" was like..y'know.. a link.. impressive things links are.
Call me King!
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

I think I'll really like Roberto's style.
If I was writing a comic-book, that's something I'd really enjoy : bringing back forgotten Marvel characters and make them cool again. Just as Dan Slott does in the She-Hulk series.
You know Alan Moore's words :
"There aren't bad characters. There only are bad writers."
(and Roberto sure isn't one ! :))
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Originally posted by Tatu
BD, Darkholmes "The truth about Christine revealed" was like..y'know.. a link.. impressive things links are.
Well, I highlighted the whole think, so didn't realize it was a link
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Originally posted by Blue_Demon94
Originally posted by Tatu
Well, I highlighted the whole think, so didn't realize it was a link
The part that was in white that becomes underlined when you drag the mouse over it, that was the link, you click on it.(technically it was a hyperlink because it stated the subject matter The truth about Christine revealed)

Sorry for my being off topic, everybody.
one name: Bruce Campbell
Darkholme
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Darkholme »

OK...I think everyone's gotten the point...if you aren't clear about something in a post, there are other options besides posting a question:

http://www.google.com (or if it's a word http://www.dictionary.com)

Thorough reading and/or checking for links also help.

Now to drive this back on-topic. We've now got the first major additions to his supporting cast with Amanda and Christine. How long before we start seeing an official Rogue's Gallery for Kurt?
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DoomInABox »

THIS POST CONTAINS TOO MANY SPOILERS TO PUT IN BLACK BARS!!!
So read at your own risk, all ye who dare ... read ... this thing ...

~~~~~~~~~~

A thousand yays and cheers to Roberto and Darick, because few writers could have taken that story and made it into something totally NOT hokey, and few artists could have drawn it so wonderfully. I'll admit, I got a little worried when they started talking about actual demons, because quite a few stories get twisted into something decidedly unriveting when actual references are used like that, but Roberto pulled it off splendidly. He kept a tight, on-your-toes plot and tied all the loose ends off in a neat little explain-everything conversation at the end. I have no complaints, and heaps of praise for Roberto.

And the art ... the art surpassed even what I've come to expect from Darick. I don't know if there's anything I haven't said about the way he does expressions, but I still love it. It also had be the first time I've ever thought "Hey, Amanda's Magik armour looks COOL!". Oh, and on the very last page, those two pictures of Storm? At first I thought it was a copy-paste panel, because the two were so alike, but I looked closer and the lines didn't match up. It takes a buttload of skill to be able to reproduce an expression like that ... Darick, you are my hero. And the big scary demons were the biggest, scariest and ultimately coolest demons ever. Loved 'em.

One of the best things about this series is all little things you guys stick in, too ... the fencing and shower scene in #3 come to mind first. Amanda keeping the clay demon-dolls on her mantlepiece got a good snort of laughter from me. There's tons of other stuff too. You guys just keep the good stuff comin'.
Originally posted by Darkholme
[spoiler]And speaking of Christine, a gigantic kudo to Roberto and Darick for bringing back one of the original Night Nurse cast. It didn't click until this issue...but the fact that Christine appeared in comic form before Nightcrawler is quite impressive. Don't believe me? The truth about Christine revealed[/spoiler]
Well, now I feel dumb for posting all that "Christine is Amanda in disguise" stuff ... but by the by, from reading that decsription at the link, the events in Nightcrawler 1-4 would have fit in perfectly with what Night Nurse seemed to be about in its day.

Oh, and ...
Originally posted by Diablo
Darick "a comic God walks among us and we're so lucky to live this historic event and besides I'm sure he smells incredibly good" Robertson.
Hee hee. An obligatory loud snort of laughter to you, Diablo. Bwaha.
"Picture this: bumpity bumpity bumpity SPLAT!"
-- Nightcrawler, X-Men Evolution

Visit my art sites, please!
http://www.kenthayle.deviantart.com
http://www.geocities.com/ironthorncomics
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Yep DoomInaBox.
A great, great first story-arc. Now that we see the entire picture, we can rejoice. Nightcrawler is in very talented hands. Merry christmas to us all. :)
www.atlantys.biz

Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

Originally posted by Diablo
Alan Moore's words :
"There aren't bad characters. There only are bad writers."
That's exactly right.
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

I'm so glad you all enjoyed the first arc. Strap your belts on for next year thogh. It's going to get SO FREAKIN' GOOD!

Issues 5 & 6 are good, but what we've talked about for issues 7 and on is going to blow your already blown minds.

As a fellow Nightcrawler fan, I gotta say, what Roberto's got planned and what we've discussed is the kind of story that I dreamed about drawing in the days I used to just dream about being involved with the X-Men's creative team.

http://www.darickr.com/speak/viewtopic.php?t=1199
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

Man, issue four was pretty awesome. I especially like the last page or so, and definitely the last panel. Was it just my imagination, or was he wearing his X-Men Evolution outfit at the end?

Oh, and the Night Nurse thing? A co-worker at the comic shop had pointed that out to me in issue 1. He then proceeded to go off on a forty-five minute tangent about Night Nurse and all that, so I got comic geek-served. Luckily, no dance-offs were involved, and only my pride as a seller of comic books was hurt.

As a Christmas gift to Darick (and like, all those other crazy-talented people working on the book), I got another customer into the book today and sold him issues 1-4, and he'll definitely be back for 5 and on. He fell in love with the covers (thanks, Mr. Land!), but stayed for the interior stuff. I love my job.

-idsunki, still trying to catch moose and squirrel.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DoomInABox »

Originally posted by Darick
Issues 5 & 6 are good, but what we've talked about for issues 7 and on is going to blow your already blown minds.
I don't know if my poor mind can take any more blowing. *snort*giggle

I'm already eager for the next arc ... I am very partial to ghosts and zombies myself. Spooky stories still scare the crap out of me, even if I'm reading them on a bench in a children's park in the middle of a bright sunny day. And yet, I have always, always loved them and come back for more.

So if ish 7 is going to be cooler than that, you might as well just blow my mind now and get it over with.

Oh and for anyone who missed it, check out Darick's above link: http://www.darickr.com/speak/viewtopic.php?t=1199. UNBELIEVABLY HILARIOUS! I'm still giggling. I consider that to be a fabulous Christmas present.
"Picture this: bumpity bumpity bumpity SPLAT!"
-- Nightcrawler, X-Men Evolution

Visit my art sites, please!
http://www.kenthayle.deviantart.com
http://www.geocities.com/ironthorncomics
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

I was in the hospital with #4 came out and even though there was a comic book store just a two blocks away, my parents seemed to consider going in there and saying "do you have the new Nightcrawler #4" an impossible task. So I had to wait until I got discharged before I could read it.

I got the last copy at the store and it was totally worth the wait. I enjoyed the whole story and I wasn't disappointed by the ending. (You know sometimes the ending of a good story can be anti-climatic just because you don't want to stop reading?)

I really liked the device at the end with the last panel since throughout the arc it never seemed like there was enough light to completely illuminate Kurt's face. It plays the dichotomy of his character on two levels which is cool.

From a purely mechanical perspective, I enjoyed watching Kurt's character and mannerisms take shape over the series. The artwork started off good and only got better and bolder. It made me realize how often he is drawn as "the scary blue guy". Seeing him portrayed here, expressing a full spectrum of emotions, made me realize just how much humanity and depth is missing from his characterization in other books.

I'm surprised by some of the Hellboy comparisons, particularly now there is a completed arc to be read. Hellboy is, in Mignola's own words, a "monster that fights monsters". I don't thing that's what Nightcrawler is about at all and if he is, he's an awfully warm and fuzzy version of Hellboy.

I'm ready for more.

Thanks.
-e
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

amen to that, zamweasel ! :):)

Oh, and Doominabox, thanks for the link. Darick's adventure among the X(-Men is TOO funny !! :LOL
www.atlantys.biz

kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

*clicks on the "Darick in the X-men" thread*

wow the watercolours are pretty

*reads further down*
Oooooo....

*Does a "Wane's World Meeting Alice in Chains falling to her knees"*

"We are not worthy! We are not worthy! - We SUCK!"

i like the way you drew nightcrawler (that lil' grin is cuuuuute) and i have some Byrne-esque X-men comics too - so i like the characterisation, and i'm sure your singing isn't *that* bad :D

anyway ...

We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy! :LOL
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Bitsy
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Bitsy »

Hey all! I just read the issue four and I LOVE IT! Darick, thank you so much for writting a comic that an "X-Virgin" like me (or as my friends like to call me) can get into. I already wrote my review, but it's on the letters thread.

Also, Darick? I sent you a letter today! I mean, an actual, snail-mail letter. It has a wax stamp E on the back. :)
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

#s 1-4

Post by BH123 »

I liked the first four issue story arc. I probably would have liked it better if it had read more like an actual solo story featuring Kurt, as oppsed to an X-Men team adventure that happened to give him a prominent role. Which is how it read to me. But I had no serious problems with the plot, and I enjoyed the issues.

I really liked the art. And I am not saying that because the penciller is lurking on these boards. Honest!

Aside from the rest of the X-Men taking up too much "screen time," my biggest complaint was the covers. Like so many other covers on Marvel books in the last few years, they were not interesting. As covers, they make good pin-ups. There was nothing to draw a reader in, to make someone want to read the issue to find out what happens inside. I honestly do not understand why Marvel insists on using such dull covers nowadays :?
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

well, if it's any comfort, I'll be taking over the covers with issue 7, and they will be story oriented.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

Originally posted by BH123
I liked the first four issue story arc. I probably would have liked it better if it had read more like an actual solo story featuring Kurt, as oppsed to an X-Men team adventure that happened to give him a prominent role. Which is how it read to me. But I had no serious problems with the plot, and I enjoyed the issues.
While I agree to a point the X-Men will always be a part of Nighty's life. You can't separate him from the rest of the X-Men no matter what you do. Whether they are in his book as a team or just solo appearances they will always be there helping him out in one form or another.
I really liked the art. And I am not saying that because the penciller is lurking on these boards. Honest!
lol! Too bad we can't start a "I love Darick Robertson" fan club. Fan clubs are forbidden here. But I would if we could. ;)
Aside from the rest of the X-Men taking up too much "screen time," my biggest complaint was the covers. Like so many other covers on Marvel books in the last few years, they were not interesting. As covers, they make good pin-ups. There was nothing to draw a reader in, to make someone want to read the issue to find out what happens inside. I honestly do not understand why Marvel insists on using such dull covers nowadays :?

You got to be kidding me? :ooh: Don't take offense to this BH123 but Greg Land is an awesome cover artist. He'll be doing Phoenix EndSong coming out this week. He's a cover god IMO. Not to mention all the Nighty covers he's done have been awesome! Gambit and Uncanny too! He's a really hot artist at the moment. But everyone has right to their opinion of course. ;)

Don't worry Darick I have a place of honor on my mantle for your statue as well. Between Greg Land's and David Finch's statues :D *lights a candle in worship*
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

Originally posted by **Northstars Love**[/i

lol! Too bad we can't start a "I love Darick Robertson" fan club. Fan clubs are forbidden here. But I would if we could. ;)

Aw, shucks! :love
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I liked covers 1-3... 4 isn't as ggod, his hair is too puffy and it's just a plain picture, unlike #2 which is one of the best I've seen:bamf
Azur
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Azur »

one more question about ish 4 : what exactly is that Pazuzu guy ? is he the old mesopotamian demon using to turn babies into monsters ? :?
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

That's him! The same demon that appears at the end of 'The Exorcist'!

Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

:D I knew that.. when I read his name I was so excited, because I actuall knew something in a comic for once, he looked very cool by the way... keep up the good work Darick:D
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

Thanks!