City of Heroes

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

City of Heroes

Post by Bamfette »

yesterday C and I were playing City of Heroes, on the Virtue server, when i saw someone in Atlas with the same name as a username here, Neko-Chan (tho minus the dash on the forum, in the game there was a dash) though they were gone before i could ask if it was the same person. and it occured to me that several members could be playing and no one would be the wiser, because i am sure many of us do not use our forum screen names in the game. and so, this thread...

right now, I am playing a level 10 defender with radiation powers called Raye Gunn, C is playing a scrapper called Crash Robbins. we're kinda going with a theme of cheesy pulp sci-fi, tho we don't take the RP seriously. here's a pic of Raye:

and i will let C post a pic of Crash if he wants, tho i think Raye would be easier to spot with her bubblegum pink hair anyway, and we are almost always together. ;)

we play on the Virtue server late at night/early in the morning mountian time. So, if you see us on and would like to say hi, or join our team, just say so (and say who you are on Scrawlers). if you just want to share a pic of your character, go ahead! if you are a lower level we could even help you level by having me tag along healing you and weakening enemies while you do your thing to gain levels without having you actually join the team, so you get all the experience.

if someone out there has unlocked one of the new character types (me and C are more about CREATING characters rather than following them thru to the end, tho i plan on following thru with Raye) that would be awesome, and would even fit our sci-fi theme. did a mission wiht a Peacebringer, and they kicked much ass.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

City of Heroes

Post by Bamfette »

figured, but it just made me think about who else (sides Drew and others i already know about) are playing...
Darkholme
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

City of Heroes

Post by Darkholme »

Well, I'm mainly on Freedom, and just started last week on Victory...I guess 1 more Warshade on another server wouldn't hurt...

All the work it takes to get to level 50 though is worth it for the Kheldians though...they are SOOOOO much fun to play.

Of course, I'm not nearly as creative with my costumes...

Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

City of Heroes

Post by Tatu »

No Jill! Not you too! *Clings to your leg* dont let them suck you in! :puppy

...although, your character does kick some serious ass (just for the shoes alone), and if they ported Coh to MacOS X i'd probably be playing too... I'm not sure my PC is powerful enough to run it.. :(
Call me King!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

City of Heroes

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I need to get a pic of good old Dr. IcyHot.....the only character I created (well...co-created...but I was the genius behind it ;))
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

City of Heroes

Post by Crawler »

This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

City of Heroes

Post by Bamfette »

ho-ho, show up my collage, will you?! i'll show you... actually, i changed the gloves, now i have to re-do some of it.

her origin is this picture: http://www.bronzepig.ca/gallery/fantasy/retro-girl.html
couldn't get all the details, obviously, but i like some of the changes better, anyway. i just wish they offered jetpacks (ok, so those are oxygen tanks, jetpack would work too) and/or fishbowl style space helmets for accessories

and yes, Stevie it Is incredibly addictive O.o

the PC requirements aren't too steep, but you need a pretty decent videocard, I got a new videocard for Christmas, (in a failed attempt to get Prince of Persia to run, then it was found out the copy protection does not like rewriteable drives so i am still screwed) otherise it wouldn't run on my system.

... and the new card makes my computer damn loud because it has its own fan! i think i need some sound insulation for it now.

oh yeah, anyone know what this is all about? in several places there are armies fighting eachother, massive numbers, (not herded) and constantly respawning themselves. you can stand right inthe middle and they won't attack unless you attack first, they're too busy fighting eachother. what's that all about?

Image Image
DeeJay
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

City of Heroes

Post by DeeJay »

Originally posted by Darkholme
Well, I'm mainly on Freedom, and just started last week on Victory...I guess 1 more Warshade on another server wouldn't hurt...

All the work it takes to get to level 50 though is worth it for the Kheldians though...they are SOOOOO much fun to play.

Of course, I'm not nearly as creative with my costumes...

Reminds me of the main character on that game "Sin".
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

City of Heroes

Post by Crawler »

Originally posted by Bamfette
ho-ho, show up my collage, will you?! i'll show you...
Actually, I like yours better. :p
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Darkholme
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

City of Heroes

Post by Darkholme »

oh yeah, anyone know what this is all about? in several places there are armies fighting eachother, massive numbers, (not herded) and constantly respawning themselves. you can stand right inthe middle and they won't attack unless you attack first, they're too busy fighting eachother. what's that all about?
Well, since the 5th Column are basically the modern day remnants of the Third Reich, and in Europe, you're not allowed to have Nazis in video games, they had to find a way to write them out of the game before selling CoH in Europe. Enter the Council. The basic premise is that there's a coup inside the 5th Column started by the Nictus (those are the evil Kheldian aliens), and that the Council is now trying to rid itself of anyone still clinging to the ideals of the 5th Column. Luckily, the Council was able to get the Darkwolves and Vampyrs, and start spawning them in great numbers in Striga Isle (the new zone and major base of operations for the Council). So yeah, that's why they're fighting all over Paragon City.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

City of Heroes

Post by kurtlover »

Oh, everybody is being a geek but me, i can't play :cry and that game surely looks fun!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

City of Heroes

Post by Bamfette »

ah... well, i guess that makes some sense, then ;) mostly i've seen lower levels use them to level up on, but they often get killed unless there's a healer around, (is where i came in one time. saving their asses.) cus you attack one a whole bunch attack back. tho if you leave em alone, they leave you alone.

you can't have Nazis in games in Europe? that's stupid. it's not like it would be shown in a positive light... it would be like, i dunno, what's North America's worst 'offense'... never mentioning slavery, i guess.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

City of Heroes

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by kurtlover
Oh, everybody is being a geek but me, i can't play :cry and that game surely looks fun!
Join the club. It looks like fun but I have no time/money. :x
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Nightcrawlis
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

City of Heroes

Post by Nightcrawlis »

you can't have Nazis in games in Europe? that's stupid. it's not like it would be shown in a positive light... it would be like, i dunno, what's North America's worst 'offense'... never mentioning slavery, i guess.
Thats only in Germany, but the makers of some games like CoH release a European version that is always redone to suit German law instead of having a separete version for Germany.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein was released in the UK full of Nazi's.
'To be a good designer, you have to be a very violent psychopath.' Stan Lee.
"If you've got Mystique as your girlfriend the fun you could have in bed - I've just imagined X-Men 3 might open with me in bed with Patrick Stewart." -- Sir Ian McKellen
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

City of Heroes

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

City of Heroes?!?!?!?!?!! O______o
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

City of Heroes

Post by Bamfette »

it's a MMORPG.... you get the game, create a character by selecting a character origin and type, then decide how they look with a costume editor, then connect via the internet to fight crime in Paragon City with other players. http://www.cityofheroes.com
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

City of Heroes

Post by Crawler »

Good to hear about the Vampyrs and Darkwolves...I'd not fought nearly enough of those for them to disappear completely.

And I thought the European version was going to have its own servers and such? Why are they changing the North American version if there's no chance of the Europeans playing it?
Darkholme
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

City of Heroes

Post by Darkholme »

There will be European servers, but they're not required to stick to them...in fact there's a rather large French population on Freedom as it stands, and has been for some time. It's easier to go ahead and work the change in relatively early in the game's history...that way they can just work on one version for all countries, instead of changing the 5th and Council stuff.

I am kinda anxious to see how this affects a pretty sizable story arc though...[spoiler]later on in your crimefighting careers, you'll be introduced to the Portal Corporation. They happen to specialize in interdimensional transportation technology. One of the arcs involves a member of the 5th Column from a dimension where the Axis powers won WWII who comes back to get more portal tech so he can go back in time in the "main" dimension and change the past. There are a couple trips to the Axis Amerika division, which instead of normal background music have a man talking in German over a city-wide loudspeaker system...they were among the more atmospheric missions[/spoiler]
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

City of Heroes

oh, i would have to buy the game to play :E
would i have to pay to play too?
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

City of Heroes

Post by HoodedMan »

Yup.

1 month for $14.95
3 months for $41.85 ($13.95 per month)
6 months for $77.70 ($12.95 per month)
12 months for $143.40 ($11.95 per month)

You can also buy game cards at some stores, if I remember correctly.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

City of Heroes

Post by Bamfette »

and you get a monthly comic book based on CoH mailed to you with the account, and the first month is free! :p if you want to make it worth it, you can play multiple games on the same account. unfortunately, the compny only really has one other game you can play currently.... Lineage II. and as fantasy games go, you're probably better off getitng like Everquest or World of Warcraft, but hey, it still makes it more worth the cost

no, it's not cheap, but it is a big, complex game (over a GIG). not something you could reasonably expect to get for free.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

City of Heroes

Originally posted by HoodedMan
Yup.

1 month for $14.95
3 months for $41.85 ($13.95 per month)
6 months for $77.70 ($12.95 per month)
12 months for $143.40 ($11.95 per month)

You can also buy game cards at some stores, if I remember correctly.

damn, you know even FFXI is cheaper :X :P
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

City of Heroes

Post by idsunki »

I've got a few characters on City of Heroes.

My main is on Guardian, and he's a pretty rockin' Martial Artist Scrapper named Green Belt.

I do have a set of characters on Virtue, though. Right now I have Experiment 057 and Experiment 058, both tech origin robot types, one a tanker and one a blaster. I plan on eventually making an entire line of the Experiment series (one for each archetype), and then maybe I can make a collage to rival that of those ... already posted! Bwahaha!

-idsunki, one of the lucky ones who won a copy at Wizard World Dallas
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

City of Heroes

Post by Bamfette »

ooh, a robot would fit in nicely with our sci-fi theme though! you should play with us :D we are now level 14 (Crash) and 15 (Raye), btw. I went on a task force the other day and went up 3 levels, but C had to leave early....

actually, we were rather desperate for a Tanker to join our team, couldn't find one so we had to go with a 7 person task forve with no tank.

still kicked some serious ass, though. i don't think anybody escaped dying at least once, but it was still a blast and surprisingly enough the last 2 or3 missions when we were down to 5 members, no one died. well, i did once becuase i backed right into a boss and he wasted me from behind, but that's it.

Image Image

Image Image

Crash and Raye are in supergroup colours, btw. i don't know why i only have pictures of the Clockwork, though... we fought zombies, Skulls and mages, too....but i only have one of each of the zombies and mages, and they both suck.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

City of Heroes

Post by Crawler »

idsunki> You remind me of our own Garble, who has an entire squad of demons.

And I've finally got a character with superspeed! (Crash...who now has "bionic legs")