What if...

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
KatPryde
Lubber
Lubber

What if...

Post by KatPryde »

If Marvel decided to make Azazel and Mystique evil, Why did NightCrawler come out good? What if Kurt was a villian instead?
Fans would have gone even more crazier for him if he did. or maybe not. :bite
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

What if...

Post by Angelique »

I'm leaning toward not. A huge part of his appeal is how good he's turned out in spite of everything. For him to turn out evil when his parents were evil and even his foster family had a pretty evil track record, well... that would be predictable. He'd have overcome nothing.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

What if...

Post by steyn »

I agree with Angelique, plus wasn't he evil in the AoA universe? I remember someone once mentioning that he teleported bodyparts into walls and such.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

What if...

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I disagree with both Steyn & Angelique.

I think Kurt coming out a villain would have been incredibly intriguing. It'd be an interesting What-If to read, that's for sure.

The fact that he overcame those things is what makes him a great character but I've always said that a villain has more depth and more going for them than hero does. They have loss or a sense of grief, they have absence of a overfilling need to replace what he or she lost with giving people back what they lose instead. Where the villain becomes most interesting though is the single strand of that "last thread".

That last piece of straw that broke the horse's back and turned them to villainy. One hero makes it his driving force to make up for any wrongs while one villain can use it to say the hero finally deserves what's coming to him.

Lex Luthor, Osborne, Leader, Crimson Dynamo, Barron Zemo, Scarecrow, Catwoman, etc...

These villains were born villains because the heroes came first. I would love to see what happens to Kurt to truly turn him down that dark path. I think him being raised by Mystique is a good start, but remember she does not view herself as a villain. (Rarely does any villain actually do that).

I don't think being their offspring is simply the reason. There should be more. That seems like a lack of credible story telling.

Also, AoA Kurt was not a villain or evil. He was just angry and vengeful. Opposite of what he is in current Universe. He was still an X-man fighting the good fight. He belongs on the X-Force in canon however. LOL!
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Indigo_Lady
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

What if...

Post by Indigo_Lady »

I'm sorry, but I would be severely upset if Marvel made Kurt a villain, or even if they chose to exchange the old Kurt with the AOA version. I loved Kurt the way he was in Excalibur especially. It is the fact that Kurt could have become resentful bitter person because of his circumstances, but he chose to rise above them that makes him special. Who needs one more angsty angry mutant. There are enough of those types of characters already.

I know that people seem to like things dark these days, but that's not how I like my heroes. I just can't get into the anti-hero deal. I liked comics when they used to be fun and I can't believe there isn't still a market for that. Good old swashbuckling adventure-type movies where the hero stands for something are still popular (case in point - Avatar).
Always a Queen of Narnia

There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds. G.K. Chesterton

Favorite X-Men: :engarde :storm :colossus :nocturne :gambit :rogue :hank :psylocke