Nightscrawlers' Response to Marvel

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

I think all of us know that it is very difficult to convince a large corporation to do anything, and for whatever reason it seems like Marvel is particularly obstinate.

However I also feel that as consumers it is important that we make our dissatisfaction with their decision known. Since this is the Nightcrawler solo series we're talking about and this is a Nightcrawler site, it makes sense to me that we should both lead this effort and have the loudest voice possible.

The ultimate goal, of course, is to be so loud that Mike Marts calls up Darick and says "start drawing Nightcrawler again, those damn Nightscrawlers people won't stop sending letters". Even if we don't get that result, annoying the crap out of them is good enough for me. :)

In a day or two we'll have a page up with forms on it so you can send to Marvel directly, but never under estimate the power of printed correspondence.

If you're having trouble thinking of what to write, this is the letter I've prepared. Just replace "Marvel Editor" with the name of the person you're addressing.
Dear Marvel Editor –

At the recent Wizard World Convention in Chicago, Illinois, Dan Buckley informed panel audiences that the Nightcrawler solo series is due to be cancelled at the end of its 12 issue run. This decision comes as an incredible disappointment to me and damages my enthusiasm for Marvel's creative and editorial process as a whole.

As a comics enthusiast I enjoy reading the books not just for their entertainment value, but also for their literary and artistic merit. The creative team on Nightcrawler was dedicated to creating a book that did more than just tell a story about its main character, it delved deep into his background and sought to solve the riddles of his past. Few characters in the Marvel canon have a history more complex than Nightcrawler's and thus it was an incredible risk that Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa took in examining it so closely. The fact that the series has done this as effectively as it has is a testament to both the writer's research and to penciler Darick Robertson's meticulous execution, giving warmth, heart, and soul to a character that is often drawn as inhuman and inaccessible.

In short, creatively and editorially, everything about Nightcrawler is good. The critics concur as well; Nightcrawler has been unanimously agreed upon as the best of the solo books published after last year's Reload Event. The sales of the book reflect the critical opinion as Nightcrawler issue #1 through #6 all sold within the top 100, higher than any solo character's book with the exception of Wolverine. It took an unannounced three month hiatus to drop sales of Nightcrawler below the top 100.

Thus it seems that Marvel never expected to support this book nor the innovators who brought life to the character and his story. If exciting new books like Nightcrawler cannot survive Marvel's creative culling process in favor of the same old stories, then why should we, as consumers of your product continue to care? If it doesn't advance the art form or tell a story I don't already have on my shelf, then why should I be interested in paying for it?

I am a fan of the art of comics, of inventive story telling, and of Nightcrawler. Having all three in one package was one of the best things Marvel ever did and it is my hope that you would see fit to allow Nightcrawlers' creators continue the excellent work they have begun.

Regards,

emails can be sent to officex@marvel.com

Written correspondence can go to the following people:

Joe Quesada - Editor in Chief
Dan Buckley - Publisher
Sean Ryan - Assistant Editor
Nick Lowe - Associate Editor

Marvel Enterprises, Inc
417 5th Avenue
New York, NY 10016

Generally in any letter writing campaign the goal is to bombard the office with letters, therefore the best thing would be to print out an individual copy with its own envelope for each editor. None of them individually can do anything about it, but if for the next few weeks they each get a pile of letters about Nightcrawler, I can guarantee they will talk about it.

Watch this space as Bamfette and I get more stuff together and Northstar starts makin' some forms.

Good luck everyone and spread the word.

Thanks
-e
(and the Nightscrawlers Triumvirate)
Technical Administrator
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Rogue PHP Script

Post by Technical Administrator »

As mentioned on other threads, the petition page is now available. Please click the red 'Petition' link next to Chat on the site toolbar. If you are logged in, it will automatically fill in your username and e-mail address.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

More gifts we have for you!

It's kind of pointless for us all to have the same .sig here, but Northstar and I put smaller versions of the banner in our sig files so you could see them.

If you want to use it, here's the code to cut and paste:

We've also turned off the hotlinking protection for this image only so that you can use it at other comics forums that you may frequent as well. Please feel free to pass it around.

Thanks
-e
Savory_Elf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Savory_Elf »

Just wanted to compliment your idea of petitioning Marvel. I'm thinking of forcing some friends who don't even read comics to write in as well. After all, this is a crucial time.
I just had a quick suggestion for you guys. Maybe you should put the link to that petition on BAMFCentral. You might catch some Kurt fans who haven't been to this site.
Stay the course! Damn the man! We'll get our book back. I hope...
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Well, if I remember correctly zam is spreading the link far and wide, starting with Darick's site. I'm not really in charge of distribution, but I think I can speak for the administrators when we say we want this petition signed by as many as possible. :)

Also, a second gift for those who haven't noticed: The petition now counts how many people have signed it, and it shows up on the links bar! Everyone please try to help get that number as large as possible. :)
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I'm adding it to my sig over at the BKV board......
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

I've posted notices and links on my LJ blog and at my RPG.

"Nightcrawler" isn't going down without a fight :engarde
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

just a little test and showing off my awesome new sig graphic...and now, let's hope this thing is going to work!
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Petition signed, and I've gone ahead and penned my own personal letter to all of the "big four" listed there. I really apprecialte having the names and addresses, Zam. :) Having a physical letter in their hands will be a reminder that's difficult to ignore.

If I went to any other boards, I'd put that up on my sig, too....
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Well, mine has been sent as well.

ALL FOR THE CAUSE!!!
one name: Bruce Campbell
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

The siggie is up at The X Dream! Actually a few people have it in their signatures over there.

I hope Marvel pays attention to the Nighty fans and continues this series! :D
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Amen to that !
I'll do all I can. :)

Max.
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Well, I guess I'll have to retool my skills from the "Save Farscape" campaign and get to crackin.'
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I have both signed and promoted the petition.. I have the urge to join more forums just to spread the word, but juggling two is already hard.. I can't even login at Darick's anymore :(
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

I did something that might get me in a little hot water, but, hey, controversy is good for the soul sometimes. When I finished up Sinister Designs on FF.Net, I gave a quick spiel about goings on in front of the story, about a couple paragraphs worth of text. I figure that if people enjoy my stuff on there, they have to like NC in one form or another, and that telling them may spread things even further.

Don't know if FF has specific rules about it: it's not flaming or posting a political point of view on its own without a story. If I get a complaint, I'll edit it out. But at least a complaint means someone read it closely enough to have something to complain about. ;)
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
buri103
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by buri103 »

If I was allowed to, how would I link the banner for nightcrawler's series, so I cold post it at my livejournal ?
25 And the Lord spake unto the Angel that guarded the eastern gate, saying Where is the flaming sword which was given unto thee?

26 And the Angel said, I had it here only a moment ago, I must have put it down some where, forget my own head next.

27 And the Lord did not ask him again.
~Good Omens

http://www.nataliedee.com/ and http://www.toothpastefordinner.com
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Use the following HTML code:
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

I am technologically illiterate, so I have no idea if this is possible/difficult/whatever...but any chance of having that banner link not just to the petition, but the information for sending individual letters to Marvel execs? It just occurs to me that people clicking over from other sites - and I've put it up at a couple of LJ groups and my LJ - are only going to see the petition and maybe not look around any further to find out how to do more...

Just a thought...I'm gonna stick it up someplace on my RPG as well
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

Sure TKD -

To link to the snail mail info just add in this HTML:

That will actually link you back to this thread.

Thanks for all your support and assistance with this project everybody!

Even if we can't get the book back, what an amazing thank you this is to Darick, Roberto, and the rest of the creative team on Nightcrawler.

Thanks
-e

edit: fixed it. Damn cut and paste!
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

danke, and linked...oh, but I think you forgot one "<" at the beginning of the code....
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

You can link back to the original petition page now, if you want; it now contains snail mail information.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

"casshern spreads the word and signed the petition"
FeathersinHair
Lubber
Lubber

Post by FeathersinHair »

Hello, all! I hope it is okay, but I linked to the petition from another site. I know a lot of other people there are Kurt fans, and thought they might like to help. (I feel badly, because I used to be active on this site, but lost my internet connection for so long that I forgot my original username.) Please let me know if I should take down the link on the other site. Thank you!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Marvel DO listen...sometimes...it was reader response that got Spider-Girl and She-Hulk back and Kurt's gotta be more popular than either of those two ladies...

However...though the petition is a good thing...maybe we should all e-mail too...many, many e-mail should have a greater impact than one petition, no matter how many people put their name to it...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Zam has the exact sales figures, but suffice it to say Kurt was definitely more popular than Spider-Girl, and most likely She-Hulk. I just realised an interesting thing: Kurt has the female fanbase behind him that Spider-Girl and She-Hulk had... hm. :scratch

FeathersInHair: It's great that you link to the petition; in fact, that's what we want you to do. We'd prefer you use our banner code, but it's not necessary. For the record, here it is:

And you've never posted/registered with that IP or e-mail address before, so I can't find your original username. Sorry. :)