Nightscrawlers' Response to Marvel

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

I think we need to stop calling this a "petition". It confuses everyone. :)

It's actually a form email that goes directly to Marvel that is sent and signed by the individual (ie - they don't all say they're from Nightscrawlers). It is like a petition in that we are keeping track of how many we are sending and each one that goes to Marvel is numbered as well. So it's like a petition in some ways, but it is an actual email that gets sent each time.

Now that we have over 150 of them sent I'm going to write to Marvel and make sure they haven't written a rule to simply trash the emails as they arrive. If they have that would certainly lower my opinion of Marvel - sending them to a mail folder to be counted is one them, but not bothering is another. I'll be sure to post the results of my correspondence here.

Thanks for all your help so far!
-e
FeathersinHair
Lubber
Lubber

Post by FeathersinHair »

Originally posted by HoodedMan
FeathersInHair: It's great that you link to the petition; in fact, that's what we want you to do. We'd prefer you use our banner code, but it's not necessary. For the record, here it is:

And you've never posted/registered with that IP or e-mail address before, so I can't find your original username. Sorry. :)
Thank you very much, Northstar! (And thank you very much for looking! It's much appreciated, but I'm very happy to be under this username- especially if it's to gather with such wonderful people as yourselves!) *runs off to use new code as her signature on other forum*
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by Saint Kurt
How so, and to what should I change it?
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Eric J. Moreels at
www.comixfan.com
told me this :
"To be honest, online petitions are ineffective given that Marvel don't hold much stock in them. If you really want to petition Marvel, organize a hand-written letter writing campaign. That, above all else, makes them sit up and take notice."

So, I agree we won't call it a petition anymore, but what do you think ?

Ink and paper everyone ??
The fight continues ! :vader :evil
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by Diablo
Eric J. Moreels at
www.comixfan.com
told me this :
"To be honest, online petitions are ineffective given that Marvel don't hold much stock in them. If you really want to petition Marvel, organize a hand-written letter writing campaign. That, above all else, makes them sit up and take notice."

So, I agree we won't call it a petition anymore, but what do you think ?

Ink and paper everyone ??
The fight continues ! :vader :evil
They want snail mail? That's gonna cost me...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

We're doing both. Zam and I highly urge everyone to not just rely on the petition. E-Mail is too easily blocked and easily ignored. What we suggest is signing the online petition and sending the letters to the recipients noted in this post. Letters can't be ignored very well.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Kaileighblue »

Hope you don't mind if I use the banner and this stuff in the Kurt Club at Deviant art. There's a ton of people there maybe we can reach that aren't here.

Posted here. so you can see if I need to change something.
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/21741456/
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

I think zam would be the person to comment, but it seems by putting it on deviantART (an artist community) on your account would imply that it is your creation. I know it's noted that it's not in your comments, but some would not take the time to read them, just to comment themselves or approve and move on to a different art piece.

However, that's just my view. Zam should pass a final judgement, being as she is the true author.
Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Kaileighblue »

That's not my account. It's a club. The only things posted there are contest entries and Club Ids.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

We're doing both. Zam and I highly urge everyone to not just rely on the petition. E-Mail is too easily blocked and easily ignored. What we suggest is signing the online petition and sending the letters to the recipients noted in this post. Letters can't be ignored very well.
Okay...I'm happy to spend $AU10 or so if it helps get Nighty back...I buy two copies a month and that costs me more than that...

We CAN send the same letter to each of them, right? It's gonna be hard enough for me to write one letter let alone four...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

How so, and to what should I change it?
problem is there isn't really any other word that will cover it... everything iesle is too long... at least for the link in the bar. we can call it something else on the page itself. like 'letter campaign'
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by Nandireya
We CAN send the same letter to each of them, right? It's gonna be hard enough for me to write one letter let alone four...
Yes'm. Makes it easier and shows a united front (at least it seems to me).
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

Wow. So many questions to answer... This is what happens when I make unscheduled journeys to Chicago I guess. :)

1) What about putting the word "protest!" up in the title bar instead of "petition" (with or without the exclamation point) Then on the linked page it could say -

"3 Ways to Help Save the Nightcrawler Solo Book"
1. Buy issues 9, 10, 11, and 12 when they come out.
2. Send a letter to the editors
...show all the snail mail info...
3. Send a signed and numbered email to Marvel
...our "petition" email would be here...

How does that sound? It certainly covers all the bases and I don't think it adds to much work for you Northstar.

2) It is fine to put the banner in Deviant art club Kaileighblue, but you need to credit the art and the Save Nightcrawler campaign effort properly please. The art on the banner is by Darick Robertson and used with permission. The banner design is mine. "Save Nightcrawler" is being executed by Nightscrawlers as a whole. We're all in this together. :)

3) As for what to send in a paper letter, when I wrote the letter on the petition page I spent a lot of time rewriting it so it echoed a group sentiment rather than just my own. I was expecting people to print it out and send it, though there is nothing wrong with adding your own thoughts to the bottom of it.

Thanks for all your help everyone. I had no idea how many people liked the Nightcrawler solo series.

-e
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Originally posted by Nandireya
Okay...I'm happy to spend $AU10 or so if it helps get Nighty back...I buy two copies a month and that costs me more than that...
Same here Nandy !
But I think it's worth the try and the money... ;)
www.atlantys.biz

HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

1) What about putting the word "protest!" up in the title bar instead of "petition" (with or without the exclamation point) Then on the linked page it could say -

"3 Ways to Help Save the Nightcrawler Solo Book"
1. Buy issues 9, 10, 11, and 12 when they come out.
2. Send a letter to the editors
...show all the snail mail info...
3. Send a signed and numbered email to Marvel
...our "petition" email would be here...

How does that sound? It certainly covers all the bases and I don't think it adds to much work for you Northstar.
Abracadabra. It is done.
H-7
Lubber
Lubber

Post by H-7 »

Well, ive sent that petition letter about 5 times. now its time to write some of my own.

i try to do my part to support the book. i order 3 copies per issue from my comic shop. one of the 3 issues is the hang up on the wall.

i was so exicited about this series then when they took the 3 months off the manager at the comic shop said they canceled it just to mess with me so i threw it back at him when i found out what happened.

i should be getting my bowen statue wednesday. im such a sap for anything nightcrawler.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

The trhree months hiatus was really a stupid idea... Everyone got confused with that... :yell
www.atlantys.biz

HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by H-7
Well, ive sent that petition letter about 5 times. now its time to write some of my own.
Through letter or e-mail? Our site should not have allowed that, as it's highly unprofessional. I hope you didn't use our site to spam, because we would most likely have to take down the petition option if you did.

-Northstar
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

yeah... the counter is pointless if it's all being sent by the same people... Marvel will be able to figure that out, and it just damages our efforts...
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

The thing is it should not be sent by the same people unless you are a guest and you deliberately countermand my script's protections against that. And I don't view that very highly. I hope no one would undermine our last hope of getting the series revived that way.

If you're logged in, there's no way to countermand it, period. And also:
Originally posted by H-7
so i threw it back at him when i found out what happened.
I think we was attempting to make a joke which wasn't really worth that, and buying issues is what we want to do, if we want to show Marvel they can make money off of Nightcrawler.

I'm sorry, H-7, I'm not trying to get on your back. But I was worried that someone would try to use the script as a spamming station, and that's what it sounds like you did. I'd love to be proven wrong.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

:) Listen to Northstar. That goes for anyone.

The reason the ability for guests to send the protest email is even there is to make it easier for people who are coming from outside of Nightscrawlers to send emails on our behalf. I didn't want to make people register for an account here just to send an email to Marvel.

However, multiple emails from the same person kind of dilutes our message.

I feel kind of dumb writing this here because I don't think our members would use the form to spam Marvel. But just in case someone gets a bright idea - please don't do it. Get out your paper and envelopes and spam them with actual letters instead. :D

Thanks!
-e
H-7
Lubber
Lubber

Post by H-7 »

no i didnt intead to do it as spam. i used the e-mail petition. i sent one in my name, one in a friend of mine's name because he reads the book and i hadn't told him about it yet. i went ahead and sent one in my dad's name. all had different names and e-mails. im not stupid of course multiple e-mails from the same name or person means nothing. fake names or names of dead presidents wouldn't mean a whole lot either. i used real people who probably would of sent it if i had taken the time to tell them to come here.

please don't quote me out of context. the line
"Originally posted by H-7
so i threw it back at him when i found out what happened."

was just a minor story about a situation that went on between me and a friend who runs my local comic shop.
the manager of the comic shop is like one of my best friends he knows how much i love nightcrawler so he was messing with me saying it was canceled after #6 when they did the 3 without any information. so as soon as i found out what happened i threw it back in his face. so please dont take my comments out of context.

once again i didn't mean to spam like i said all had different names and email address. all are real people i just voiced an opinion for them.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

I apologise for misinterpreting your comment; I sometimes have difficulty interpreting English sentences and I took your comment to mean that when you heard it was cancelled, you threw the issue you were going to buy in his face. Obviously this is not what you meant, but don't assume I had a malignant intention, please.

-Northstar
H-7
Lubber
Lubber

Post by H-7 »

Its alright. i order 4 copies of nightcrawler a month, 3 copies are for me then my friend gets the other.

i dont think i would ever throw a copy, especially in the face of my friend at the comic shop. he is like 6'2 and 280lbs he could crush me. the owner of the store i could beat down. but anyway.
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

well i've sent off my little 'protest', a friend has told me that Marvel is taking the "we'll see" option on Nighty's series and said friend has also loaned me his NC collection :toothy

so guess what i'm reading tonight?

(PS - H-7 i *love* your avatar *chortle* where did you get it?)
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...