First Computer ?

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Karl-XMB
Lubber
Lubber

First Computer ?

Post by Karl-XMB »

I had a Amstrad 6128 and I used to use it for business accounting until I discovered Chucky Egg. :D

What was your first computer ?
Karl.
XMB Assistant Support Manager
XMB Administrator
http://www.xmbforum.com
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

First Computer ?

Post by Saint Kurt »

Hee Hee! You threaten to expose us for the nerds we are.

I don't even know what an Amstrad 6128 is.

My first computer was a Macintosh, of course - one of the 512K "Fat Macs". I still have it.

-e
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

First Computer ?

Post by taekwondodo »

A Commodore 64, I'm almost ashamed to admit...but that sucker got me through college.
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

First Computer ?

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

The original IBM PC, when the only real choice for personal computers was either Apple, IBM or Radioshack (TRS I think). It was a cast-off of my brother's. Kind of dates me, doesn't it?

Yes, there was life before the Internet, :LOL
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Cibo
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

First Computer ?

Post by Cibo »

The first Computer I could claim my own was a used 386 with 16 Mhz and Windows 3.1 (Actually there was this Speed button and when you pressed it you could switch from 8 Mhz to 16 Mhz- boaah! )
But I dimly rember my older brother had something with a black and white monitor, MS DOS 5.0 and a floppy disk drive. It seems like the pc itself was able to show colours but the monitor wasn't. Pretty dumb when I think about it now.
And now there's life/ And a chance to make up for all those mistakes/ But please don't get me wrong/ Cos everything was honest/ True and from the heart/ There's still the same old hang ups so don't fret/ It's not safe yet/ And who knows there's always time to screw up again
The Cooper Temple Clause
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

First Computer ?

Post by HoodedMan »

Haha, pretty much same for me, Cibo. It was an old, crappy 386 though I think its speed was a bit better as I got into computers late in life (ironic, I know). Wrote my first application on it and sold it (the application, not the computer). I think 10 years later or so I threw it in a dumpster. I'm a packrat. :D
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

First Computer ?

Post by Bamfette »

oh, i don't even remember what my family's first computer was... but was DOS, and my family ran a BBS. I used to be able to navigate in DOS quite well... i do remember when we got our 386 and thought it was blisteringly fast. :P It's funny thinking back. my dad has always big into the latest technology, and about when the 486 came out, he got into selling computers, so you can be assured we always had the top of the line of the time. and i remember being completely wowed by stuff we take for granted today like 'ohmygod! it TALKS!' .... with a crappy synthesized MIDI voice.... hell. i remember being genuinely impressed by simple MIDI tunes beeping out of the computer. and those Sierra games? oh man, we bought every single one of them starting with, of course, King's Quest... this packaging rings a bell, and i remember playing 1 and 2 right together, so we must have gotten into them beginning in 1987 details are fuzzy... but that would have made me 9 years old, so that sounds right. I still love them, and i have re-downloaded nearly all of them, or bought the CD collections, and we thought those were the ultimate in high tech gaming (and they were, for the time) all 16 colours of them.... and when they started coming out in 256 colours, and then even started including speaking voices, oh, we were properly wowed.

I jsut checked, and i actually still have in my posession every piece of this packaging: http://www.vintage-sierra.com/qfg/qfg2v1.html minus the box itself. have all the manuals, the map, and the discs (even though i can't use them... not that i need too seeing as i bought the QFG collection a few years back on CD with games 1-4) i've hung on to it for 15 years. QFG 1&2 (though 1 was called Heroes Quest when i got it) were the first games that were fully 'mine' not belonging to the family, so they have a specal place for me... i have all 5 installed on my computer right now.
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

First Computer ?

Post by kladyelf »

My family's first computer was an Amiga Commodore 64 - i forget how much memory it had originally but when we got it a second disk drive it went up to... 1 whole Meg of Ram! we nearly went mad with power! at last we could play the simple looking and highly addictive Moria! or um... ooh, Lucasfilm's Rocket Ranger could have two disks in at once! wowee! (OT: hey does anyone know of or remember Moria? can it be got online?... its been over ten years since i played it... *twitch**twitch* :D)
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

First Computer ?

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Heh...Mine was a Mac. I cant remember what model, but it was very slow, very box-like and had terrible color(icky green, neon pink etc.) I'm so technically challenged. It was one of thoses computers that you would expect Pac Man could crash.
one name: Bruce Campbell
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

First Computer ?

Post by Slarti »

Apple IIe! One of those horrid little things with the 10 inch monitor and old school floppy drive. I wish I still had it as a conversation piece though.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

First Computer ?

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by Bamfette
I jsut checked, and i actually still have in my posession every piece of this packaging: http://www.vintage-sierra.com/qfg/qfg2v1.html minus the box itself. have all the manuals, the map, and the discs (even though i can't use them... not that i need too seeing as i bought the QFG collection a few years back on CD with games 1-4) i've hung on to it for 15 years.
Ooh, wow. You're even more of a packrat than me. ;)
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

First Computer ?

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Amiga Commodore 64 probably.
But our "real" computer was pentium 133mhz... and now i have pentium 3,2ghz.. hmm.. :)
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

First Computer ?

Post by Maelstrom »

My first computer, for my very very own, was a 386 WinTel clone, bought for me when I was in college (1989 or so), with a B+W 13" monitor. Though I was using the Macs in the college labs, I was getting mighty tired of the business lab computers having viruses on them that screwed up all my work. (Stupid business majors with no sense of computer hygene. :rolleyes) I had some trouble with it, though, because the motherboards were made in China, and they didn't mechanically fit in quite right. Whenever the system heated up (read, "after I ran it for an hour or so"), it would freeze on me. I finally figured out that the damn boards I had so lovingly screwed down were heating up, expanding, and popping out of their slots. Unscrewing them solved the problem. Go figure.

The first computer I ever used was my Aunt's Commodore 64, some time in 1979 or 1980. No games on it, so I wasn't interested, and I only saw it that weekend I was up there. However, first computer I really "cut my teeth on", so to speak, had to be the brand spanking new Apple II when I went to Jr. High (1981). I learned the basics of programming on it, but never got much beyond making simple pictures on screen (receeding boxes of color, rather like a digital God's Eye), or making Mad Libs "insert your own text here" games.

What I find equally fun is to remember the computer ads of the time. Apple was top of their game there: they had the $$ to spend, and some really inventive imagery to go with their product:

I think most of us remember Apple's famous 1984 olympic ad; the one with the room of gray-clothed, bald , shuffling proles mesmerized by Big Brother on a giant monitor, and this lady in a bright track outfit, whirling a hammertoss "hammer", comes in and shatters the monitor. Everyone loved it, everyone talked about it. It only needed to air once, because everyone had a copy of it to watch over and over. That was good press.

Then Apple did one that had three businessmen (I think representing IBM, Microsoft, and HP) sardine-walking off a cliff. That was bad press: it never aired again, and no one wanted a copy....

But does anyone but me remember the old 1982 era Macintosh commercial where they got the entire cast of M*A*S*H together, as workers in a business office? (THAT must have been costly: it was just after the series ended, and everyone was an expensive commodity.) Harry Morgan ("Colonel Potter") was the boss walking around making orders down below, Gary Burghoff ("Radar") was secretly working at the Mac upstairs ( I think he was using Ventura Publisher), and one of the other guys was spying on Harry, telling Gary what to input. Upshot was that when Harry got upstairs, his newsletter layout was already done for him.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

First Computer ?

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by Maelstrom
I was getting mighty tired of the business lab computers having viruses on them that screwed up all my work. (Stupid business majors with no sense of computer hygene. :rolleyes)
And isn't it amazing that that's still a problem today?