Katrina Disaster in New Orleans

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

Hugs, thoughts and prayers going out to everyone in New Orleans, i saw the horrific third world conditions people are enduring up there in the news tonight, people dying because there are no resources to help them, talk of women and children being raped - a woman with diabetes collapsing as she was being interviewed because she had no insulin...

I really hope there are no scrawlers up there at the moment, it sounds terrible :( i dunno if there is anything i can do here on the other side of the planet (if there is i will) so i guess i'm urging anyone in that part of the world to see what they can do to help, (give blood, or donate tinned food or money or something) even if its just a prayer - especially if its a prayer! :

just hang in there folks.
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

--I copied and pasted this from The X Dream since I put this so well together last night. While in almost tears because of what has been happening in the Gulf States, those tears quickly turned to anger towards the criminal element trying to take over the city and shooting at resuce copters trying to rescue people from their rooftops and hospitals. May God help us in our time of need!

I'm amazed at all the devastation around the Gulf. All those homes and deaths of all those that could not get out because they had no money or no where to go. It makes me cry as I type this because its so...its just so amazing on how deep this situation is. I've never seen anything like this happen in America as tragic as this.

Worst yet? All those people that have been looting, taking things other than food and water, basic necessities of life, thinking that looting a vacuum cleaner or CD player is something to be poud of. Well it isn't! Not to mention the shootings at the rescue teams trying to get people off of rooftops. Can you believe this is happening in America?

There is also much good coming from this with many good people banning together to help those in the states affected by Katrina and her aftermath. Working long hours to save those whether it be on rooftops or hospitals that are on the verge of collapse.

Unfortunately, I keep remembering the bad. Not that I want to but it disapoints me that there are some that are uncaring and selfish enought that they are willing to cause deaths just to get that color TV set they always wanted but couldn't afford.

--In addition, it has been said all over the news that the government knew that something like this could happen years ago to New Orleans but didn't have the proper funding to reinforce the levee. Sad. Now we are seeing what the government failed to act upon. While I don't fault the government for the hurricane itself, the government failed to act upon "what could happen" if they did have a bad hurricane. Well, we did. Guess what? It's a little bit too late. Now Bush wants to survey the damage from the air? Why not survey the damage from the ground, Mr. President, and go chest deep in the filthy death infested waters to see what the citizens of New Orleans have had to deal with these past five days? It probably wouldn't happen...
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

It seems like our government is only good for acting upon things retrospectively. "well, we knew it could happen...and now it did! Action!"

What worries me about this the most is oil. I've already heard that Bush is "urging" Saudi Arabia to help us out in this crisis and be forthcoming with oil. And being that Saudi Arabia is our best friend and all, yeah, i totally see that happening. What i really see is more troops in the middle east. It took an unrelated terrorist act to get us there, and a natural disaster is going to keep us there....

But it's really horrific to hear about what is going on down there. I was worried as hell because a friend of mine lives in New Orleans (thankfully she and her family were in Texas when it happened). They lost EVERYTHING! I can't imagine how devastating that must be. Everything you have ever known to be washed away in a day. I can't imagine....

My uncle is currently on his way down there. Yesterday, he filled a box truck with bottled water, generators, extension cords, and a bunch of other stuff he bought yesterday. He's insane, yeah, but his heart is in the right place....I can't say I'm not worried :
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Nacht, you're probably gonna think I'm nuts too :oops: ... but today I'm going to try and see if I can get my boss to clear me to use a few weeks of sick leave I've saved up to join up with the American Red Cross and go there myself.

The local Red Cross chapter is giving a 3 day crash course in rescue and crisis management (which usually takes several weeks) and sending people down there in teams to help with the aftermath. They're so desparate for help that they're even forgoing the usual physical exam. I've already got ERT (Emergency Response Team) training and red cross certification (first aid, triage, basic stuff), and I had to pass that physical exam to get on the team, so they'd probably love to have me down there.

IF I am given permission to do this, I have no idea where I'll be sent. I could be doing data entry, making sandwiches, manning a first aid tent, or mucking out portapotties. But at this point, every little bit helps, and I'm tapped out financially after giving emergency $$ to our church to qualify for a property loan. (Long story: basically, we now have our own property to create a church.) I can't even seem to give blood anymore: the last three times they couldn't get to the veins. Volunteering my time is pretty much the best, and only, thing I can do.

Any other adults out there, who may have the time or wherewithall to do this, I have to believe the Red Cross has things organized and you'll probably be part of a team and "behind battle lines" so to speak. I doubt seriously I'll be in a boat grabbing people off rooftops: that's professional work, and red cross is there to take the brunt of gruntwork so the pros can do what they do best.

Phone number: 1-800-HELP-NOW

In a few hours, I should know for sure whether I'll be going. I'll post the go or no-go here. Wish me luck, guys....
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

i don't really think he's crazy...I would do the same if I had the means...

What i meant by calling him insane is that he loaded up a truck and went down there alone. Traffic and gas prices are hellish down there, and it's pretty dangerous. I offered to go with him, but he wouldn't let anyone come. He could really get himself hurt if he goes too far (which hopefully, he won't be able to get that far down).
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BAMFCentral »

Not sure how much they could have re-inforced the levee to prevent this not sure if thats possible.. THis was a level 5 when it hit. New Orleans is below sea level. It has stood for several decades now and this is the worst hit it has taken. How can we blame the govertment for that? There are a lot of things that could possibly go wrong in a city or with a citizen. The expenditure needed to inact all safe gaurds would be devasting to the economy. At some point Yo You can blame bush for say a bad economy... but not for a natural disastor. However, to shoot myself in the foot on this the Levee has been know to be only to withstand a level 3 I think Hurricane. And why wasn't it reinforced? Money, sad but true. But before everyone starts Bush bashing... Remember that your first representative is your local govt, then state, and on up. Just 2 months ago a disastory recovery test was inacted to test just this very thing. The state had several days notice that the storm could possibly hit.. But they did not enact the disastor plans that they had tested and basically after the tragedy realized that they were over there heads and said help us to the national govt. Which in all honesty is what they needed. I realize bush is a figure head but come on we can't blame him for the devastation that the tornadoes wreck in kansas... even though we know they will destory hundreds of homes a year...

That being said I do wish the best to the people stuck there who are trying there best to survive, and hope the emergency crews that go to help the relief effort remain safe.

NachtcGleiskette the best to your uncle hope he keeps well.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

I totally agree. The state had plenty of notice and there's no sense on blaming it on any mortal man, be it Bush or anyone.

What upsets me about New Orleans is that people got jaded, and they just can't do that. They figured, "Oh, another hurricane. We've gotten plenty of those before and we did all the right things and it decreased before it hit us and nothing happened."

Well, guess what, folks. You never had a hurricane like this heading your way. No Category 5 storm, decreased or not. You've never had a storm where the National Weather Service basically said all wooden structures in its path would be gone.

The government is optimism and happiness and light, my friends. They wouldn't say that if they weren't attempting to save your ass (excuse me). But you still had to laugh about it in your pubs, call it hype, and drink your head off. Even while the wind was starting in the area you were drinking in the streets.

I'm not saying I'm not sympathetic to your plight now. I'm very sympathetic; my money and my heart goes out to you down there. But you knew this was a risk of living in the city below sea level, and you ignored it. I just wish it had been otherwise.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

http://americablog.blogspot.com/2005/08 ... funds.html

I won't say another thing on the topic. But this is embarrassing.....
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

It looks like I will probabally be leaving around the 14th to go help, if everything works out (disasters being so unpredicable). I will be working with the animal disaster response organization, Noah's wish (http://www.noahswish.com). It is really important for people to not just head down there to help if they are not already trained and are called upon, as tempting as it may be. Also, a lot of people want to give stuff, but they often cannot get "stuff" into the disaster zone - during hurricane andrew they had truckloads of clothes ect that just sat on the roadsides and mildewed because they couldn't distribute it. That is such a waste. So, send money if you want to help, or go get the training if they are offering crash courses.
It is so hard to sit and watch all this, but they are already having huge problems dealing with the wonderful and caring but untrained people that are pouring into that area. Do your research, find out what qualifications that you need, and if you meet them, then contact the parent organization that you want to work under get their permission and then go.
Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette

Well, it's certainly possible that this happened, but there are methods in place, if I remember correctly, to prevent the funds being diverted to another project. Maybe not to stop the flow of funds into the project, but those are two different things.

Also, I found a distinct lack of sources for this information. I'm not seeing CNN, Associated Press, FOX News, anything, and I haven't heard of such a story from them, only 'Editor and Publisher', a no-name news source that is nevertheless 'America's oldest journal covering the newspaper industry' (which has nothing to do with this story.)

I'll look some more but I would somewhat doubt the veracity of this information. I'm not particularly pro-Bush but I've heard a lot of ridiculous things recently and I would look for proof before launching an ad hominem attack.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

What i meant by calling him insane is that he loaded up a truck and went down there alone. Traffic and gas prices are hellish down there, and it's pretty dangerous.
I totally understand his motivation. On September 11th 2002 I did everything I could to try and get to New York with Heywood, my search and rescue dog to look for survivors in the aftermath.

In the end I was turned down by every agency and though I was upset at first, I ultimately agree with them. Heywood was 10, technically retired, and he was an avalanche SAR dog used to working in secluded mountain areas. The truth is in an urban environment with all the dust and debris, I don't know if he would have known what to do. Not to mention the intensity of the situation, months later I read stories of a lot of SAR dogs just freaking out and being unable to work in the conditions.

But I remember how intense the desire to go was - not a moment's thought or hesitation, just "I've got to get the dog and go help right now." I feel much the same way now. The vet school in Louisiana has become a staging area for all of the animal rescue operations (both for found animals and for SAR type animals) so many of the other vet schools (incuding ours) are pitching in to help fund their efforts. Many of the doctors from our school left a few days a go to down there with supplies and to assist in the effort as well.

I hope you get to go Maelstrom. It's what I would do if I could.

-e
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Originally posted by HoodedMan
Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette

Well, it's certainly possible that this happened, but there are methods in place, if I remember correctly, to prevent the funds being diverted to another project. Maybe not to stop the flow of funds into the project, but those are two different things.

Also, I found a distinct lack of sources for this information. I'm not seeing CNN, Associated Press, FOX News, anything, and I haven't heard of such a story from them, only 'Editor and Publisher', a no-name news source that is nevertheless 'America's oldest journal covering the newspaper industry' (which has nothing to do with this story.)

I'll look some more but I would somewhat doubt the veracity of this information. I'm not particularly pro-Bush but I've heard a lot of ridiculous things recently and I would look for proof before launching an ad hominem attack.
I found more links to this story through the Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, yahoo news, among others...

I guess placing blame on anything or anyone is pretty useless. It's just so hard to imagine that this is happening here. I mean, you think that in a country so wealthy and so powerful, that we can pretty effectively and efficiently handle disasters. The fact that something can cripple us like this......and that we're fumbling....

It's really scary.....
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by HoodedMan »

Plus, it's not like this fund diversion was unprecedented or done just before Katrina. This was done years ago, and the residents of New Orleans knew the levees were not what they could have been. As you say, I do think that assigning anyone blame for a natural disaster is foolish.

However, from what I've seen today, the cavalry has definitely arrived. Turn on your news channels and watch the action. It's reaching breakneck speed now and there is a lot of work that will be done by this evening.
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

Thank God for that! I heard on the radio something about another 4,000 troops being delegated to the New Orleans area but since i had only just got up i was still kinda :Z
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

What really bothered me was when they issued the "mandatory" evacuation, nothing was done to ensure that people could evacuate. And so once phone communications went, the only thing my husband and I could do was pray, scout web sites, and watch the news in hopes of any shot proving my brother-in-law, one of the thousands stranded was okay. (And so far he is. I just want him to get his soggy self out of that city.)
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

According to a friend I knew who lived there most of his life, the thing about New Orleans... hell, the thing about that entire state, is that it has no money. Except for those wealthy businessmen, there is no money there. Except for those wealthy businessmen, there never has been. That includes the government. The police officers that work down there make so little that they almost invariably moonlight to make ends meet, or wind up on the take. This is why corruption seems to be so rampant in New Orleans in particular: since there's no money, you just do things the way it seems to work.

Most of those people who didn't leave? Like you said, Angelique; they didn't have the economic means to do so. Katrina arrived before their next paycheck, so even those who had cars didn't have the cash to fill them up, or the money to rent a room out of town.

And the federal government's response time has been simply dreadful. Though I don't like Bush, I also won't blame him for everything that's gone on down there... but when one of the relief convoy truck drivers says point-blank "I've been ready to leave for the past 3 days, but my boss wouldn't let me go", there's something seriously wrong. America, it seems, is NOT READY for a large-scale natural disaster, even when we have a several day warning (we knew Katrina was going to slam into NO three days in advance, just not how hard). This scares me.

On the volunteer homefront, though I wasn't able to get my employer to let me use my sick time, they do have 4 days per year (1/quarter) of "charity leave" they give you, and they're willing to give me all 4 days at once for this. And I have *some* vacation time saved up again. The combination will give me 2 weeks of time with minimal loss.

I went to the closest American Red Cross point and signed up for volunteer work on Saturday. The bad news is that one of the supervisors working there (who looked very weary as he spoke to me) said that they're only taking trained volunteers (of which I am), that 500 people had signed up just that weekend (WOW!), and the fact I could only spend 2 weeks there meant I wouldn't be called for a while. But look at that middle statement: 500 trained emergency response techs people had volunteered over those few days. I may not be called until mid-December, if I'm called at all, but in a warped way, that's a good thing: it means much more qualified people are there already.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

It just burns me that it takes days after the hurricane for rescure and relief efforts to get there, but all around the country gas stations raised their prices in a matter of hours.
Lysistrata
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Lysistrata »

Since there are plenty of women on this board, I wanted to mention there is apparently a serious need for plus sized women's clothing at the refugee shelters in Texas and other states. It's bad enough in some of the Texas refugee camps that plus sized women are reduced to wearing garbage bags beause they can't get clothing that fits.

If you've lost weight recently and are still hanging onto those old "fat pants" or if you're a plus sized woman with some older clothes you know you're not going to wear any more, please consider boxing them up and mailing them to:

Helping Hands for Texas
c/o Alamo Premier Mortgage Group
10223 281 Freeway, Suite 200
San Antonio 78216
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Good news is that my brother-in-law made it to Baton Rouge okay. Of course, he didn't know if he'd find a place to stay there, but at least he's gotten away from all the flooding and the crazies with the AK-47's. :)
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Lysistrata
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Lysistrata »

Glad to hear it!
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Originally posted by Lysistrata
Since there are plenty of women on this board, I wanted to mention there is apparently a serious need for plus sized women's clothing at the refugee shelters in Texas and other states. It's bad enough in some of the Texas refugee camps that plus sized women are reduced to wearing garbage bags beause they can't get clothing that fits.

If you've lost weight recently and are still hanging onto those old "fat pants" or if you're a plus sized woman with some older clothes you know you're not going to wear any more, please consider boxing them up and mailing them to:

Helping Hands for Texas
c/o Alamo Premier Mortgage Group
10223 281 Freeway, Suite 200
San Antonio 78216
Thanks for letting us know about this, Lys. My mother and I both wear 1x and up. I took the time to clear out a few things, including a couple dresses and blouses I never wear, and a whole load of T-shirts, while she has added a few outfits of her own. The oversized care package will be heading down there today. (Almost afraid of how much it will cost to send, considering its size and weight... ;) )

I have a few other friends in the plus size category, and I'll be asking them about their stuff as well. We might be able to get another package or two together.
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Thanks for the address Lysistrata. I have recently lost weight and have two garbage bags full of cloths that no longer fit. I'm going to try to get a box in the mail today.

It seems hard to find words to express how this tragedy has affected me, especially having gone through two hurricanes last year. The scope of destruction far excedes what my town endured. Things aren't completely back to normal yet here, I can only imagine how long and even IF things will return to normal on the Northern Gulf Coast.

My church is organizing a food drive and gathering people willing to take time off to go help. They are currently trying to build connections with sister churches near the ravaged area in Mississippi so that we will have a staging ground for relief workers. My husband has quite a few sick days tucked away and is planning on going for a week or so once things get organized. Alas, I am an insulin dependent diabetic, they will not allow me to go. The people of the Gulf Coast do have my funds and my prayers.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Lysistrata
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Lysistrata »

I'm glad to hear people have sent clothes! I just can't imagine losing my home, all my worldly goods, and literally being told to wear a garbage bag in 100+ degree heat down in Houston. It's insult to injury for people who have lost everything. I'm thrilled to hear you ladies could help.

I think it's important to remember that getting people out of immediate danger isn't enough - taking care of the refugees physical needs and sanity while they wait for FEMA's painfully slow response is important, too.

Speaking of which, fantasy author Jennifer Roberson is spearheading a book drive for the evacuees now in the astrodome. FEMA says they're sending relief application packets to people's PERMANANT ADDRESS, and it will take 4 - 6 weeks to arrive. A lot of those permanant addresses no longer exist. I can't begin to express my horror at this lack of organization.

If you've got books or magazines you can spare, consider sending them to the refugees. Your old issues of Jane might be the one thing keeping some poor woman sane during the long wait for aid. Keep in mind, to save on the cost of postage, you can always send packages via "Media Mail." It's slower, but a lot cheaper, and sadly, these people are going to be there for awhile.

The address is:
HURRICANE EVACUEES RELIANT ASTRODOME
c/o RED CROSS 2700 Southwest Freeway
Houston, TX 77098

Please mark the package as "BOOKS" or "READING MATERIALS" If you've got them to spare, it might be particularly helpful to include some childrens' books as well.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Well, that's it, its official now - I'm going to Louisiana.
Leaving this coming week for a 10 day stint.
Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

wow good luck fourpaws, - take care and mind out for hurricane ophelia down near Florida :hugs